Progressive Post Punk (GP5 + MIDI)

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Post Punk (GP5 + MIDI)

nexteyenate
07-11-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm not even sure if prog post punk exists, but that is the only way to describe it. This will be the second song my band will be doing. C4C!

EDIT: as for the genre confusion. when I say "post punk" I am referring to bands like The Strokes or Vhs Or Beta. The guitar tone used in this song is almost exactly like the strokes. Also, the vocals are very reminiscent of the strokes, so really the whole "progressive" vibe is toned down a lot.

bakshandloomis
07-11-2008, 07:37 PM
First off, the bass is amazing the whole way though. I think a few parts of this were a bit boring, but vocals it should solve that. You had some good really good chord progressions in here. I think you should add another guitar, just to to rhythm because a lot of this feels kind of empty. I really enjoyed the 11/8 section. The Palm Muting at bar 99 is hard to hear, but I'm sure with real guitar it sounds fine. I think the solo thing at the ends was the perfect way to end. Overall I enjoyed the song, not really my preferred style, but defiantly good.

icronic
07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
I was about to type a reply, but bakshandloomis pretty much said exactly the same thing I was about to.

I really don't think midi can do this song justice, I can imagine it being great played live.

LucasGtrGod
07-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I really liked it, it was fun.

I also thought the 11/8 part was great.

But honestly I don't really feel it classess as post/punk, rather than just major progressive rock. Maybe the vocals will sort this out, but the song really just feels like a less heavy, less dark, less technical version of a Dream Theater song.

Again the 11/8 part was great, and as I said it was fun, but not really different enough from regular prog to give justice to the change in genre name.

But that is the only problem I had with it.

9/10

Please crit one of mine, the link to the links is in my sig.

crowldawg66
07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
First off, I hated hated hated the organ in there. Probably its the midi sounds, and the notes its playing arent bad, but a different instrument or something would be easier on the ears. Even if it is changed, it doesnt need to mirror bars 25-28. Just my opinion though.

OK, as for the rest of it, it has some good parts and some "meh" parts. I'm guessing it will be an instrumental? The part starting at bar 69 is my favorite part, with the outro and the 11/8 part also being highlights. The intro is good, but the rest of it didn't leave much of an impression. 5 or 6/10.

ouchies
07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Loved it, with vocals it can be a great song.

Thomasoman
07-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I agree with whoever said this was 'fun'. That's probably the best word to describe this piece. You definitely get originality points for that 11/8 section. Even though it's an odd time signature I could still tap my foot to it, which is rare for me. I liked pretty much everything about this save for a few off notes, but I'm not going to bother pointing out specifics like that because for one it'd just be nitpicking, and second I'm sure it'd sound fine on actual instruments. Great job.

nexteyenate
07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I agree with whoever said this was 'fun'. That's probably the best word to describe this piece. You definitely get originality points for that 11/8 section. Even though it's an odd time signature I could still tap my foot to it, which is rare for me. I liked pretty much everything about this save for a few off notes, but I'm not going to bother pointing out specifics like that because for one it'd just be nitpicking, and second I'm sure it'd sound fine on actual instruments. Great job.
please point out the off notes. I'm trying to get this song almost perfect.

Thomasoman
07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Actually 'off-notes' was bad word usage on my part. I meant notes I don't particularly enjoy but still work. For instance, the little sixteenth note legato riff at bar 25+. It works but I'd personally do it differently. As it stands, what you have seems pretty much perfect. Anything I could tell you is just personal preference and you shouldn't really put too much thought into that.

PinkIsCool
07-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Wow, I don't even know how to describe that... it just made me feel good. Nice job.

Rodex89
07-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Dude, what? Was not expecting that...let me just say

Awesome stuff! Seriously it was like listening to Rush + a little bit of Boston. I dont really see how this is punk but then again I really dont like the genre. If it was all like this and made me feel like dancing (The organ is a must) then I would re think my priorities.

Favorite part was the little break down when you went into 11/8 timing. Good stuff + the bass was amazing. Seriously good work man im not just saying that. 9/10 cause it was a little to repetitive at some parts but vocals could spice that up.

nexteyenate
07-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow, I don't even know how to describe that... it just made me feel good. Nice job.
the sex thread is in the pit, not here.

:p:

EDIT: Rodex, listen to VHS Or Beta. It makes you dance. you have no option.

PinkIsCool
07-16-2008, 01:50 AM
the sex thread is in the pit, not here.

:p:

EDIT: Rodex, listen to VHS Or Beta. It makes you dance. you have no option.
Haha nice one.

Hadeed
07-17-2008, 09:03 PM
that was great man. its good to see something other than some subgenre of metal. the whole thing was pretty cool. the little time signature change with the organ reminded me of mind's eye by wolfmother.