Metal Riff (Beginning of song) - GP4/GP5/MIDI

PDA

View Full Version : Metal Riff (Beginning of song) - GP4/GP5/MIDI

sam b
07-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Ok, so I wrote this today as a start to a new song for my melo death band, Downfall.

I'd just like your opinions on whether you think it would be worth pursuing.

I'll check back here tomorrow to see if I get decent feedback, and if there is, I'll try get the whole song made and finished by tomorrow night, then post it back up.

Even if you think it sucks, please post. Any crit is good crit imo.

EDIT: just ignore the names :p:

Thanks, Sam :cheers:

Cryptorchild
07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I liked it.
The only flaws i seen was the Rob's guitar part was weak and the drums could have been a little better in the first few bars

TheDarkestNights
07-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Rob's rhythm bit makes me want to kill myself.
Apart from that, it's a good riff, but you've repeated it about 500 times.
It's just annoying by the end of the song.

Try and build another riff out of the same notes you've used, it'll stop the main riff becoming too boring.

But it's a very promising start. :)

sam b
07-13-2008, 08:19 AM
^^ I did say its only a beginning, and why make the other guitar part better to play if it doesnt sound as good?

Regression
07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
It is only the beggining, but the guitar part repeats a hell of alot. It'd be about time to bring in something different to keep it interesting.

Instead of repeating 11-14 4 times, make it 2.

And basically, what others said, work on Rob's guitar part. They didn't say what they said because it is easy, they said it because it doesn't sound that great or interesting.

There is something better that could be put there, I know that for sure. It might not be hard at all, but it will sound better. Try it, play around with it, I dunno.

If you feel like it, crit my song? First link in sig.

If you do, maybe ignore the first 3 sections.

sam b
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
aye, it was gonna change anyway..... It's not gonna be that riff all the way though.. :haha :wtf:

The bit where you said dont repeat it 4 times, only twice, I wasnt aware it was 4.. i thought it only repeated twice anyway. That's the first chorus, then it'll go into a verse after. I'm working on it now.
I just wanted crit on the riff to know if it anyone thought it was good enough to work with.

I'll take a look at yours now. ;)

thesyndicate
07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Really like the riff, I'm looking forward to hearing what comes next in it. Maybe you could go back to that riff later in the song, it would be a good one to come back to.

The part where the rhythm is in straight 8ths (or so it looked when imported into Power Tab) bugged me a bit, it I thought it could do with livening up a bit, like possibly making it have more of a rhythm itself rather than just being straight, and maybe arpeggioing a diminished chord or something just before it changes to follow the lead, just to show the change.

But overall, I like it, it shows a lot of promise.

FlyingPooooo
07-15-2008, 12:29 AM
My one and only complaint is the boring rhythm.
Here, ill upload my only suggestion.

Other than that, it is a really good riff.
Keep adding on to it man.

Crit?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15271384#post15271384

Mudhippy2011
07-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I really liked it, but rob's rhythm part needs to change.

Looking forward for the whole song!

Gulli05
07-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Very nice riff. But make sure you don't repeat it too often.

sam b
07-16-2008, 03:53 PM

I still havent got round to writing it into a song, although i have got a variation which will be the verse.

I dont get why everyone is saying robs part needs changing though :wtf: The rhythm on the start of cry of the blackbirds is crap, but no-one complains about that

Gulli05
07-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I didn't mention the rythm ;)

sam b
07-16-2008, 05:11 PM
everyone else did though :mad:

Skillet_Panhead
07-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I like it quite a bit, but like others said, work on Rob's rhythm part. Particularly in bars 6-10. Compared to the lead riff it just seems to be chugging along a bit on the slow side. Instead of all 8th notes, try tossing some 16th's in there to spice it up a little.

Kinda like this pattern here:

Key:
E = 8th note
S = 16th note
R = Rest

E E S S S S S E E E S E
E -2-2-2/2/R/2/2/2-2-2-2/2--------------------------------------
B -0-0-0/0/R/0/0/0-0-0-0/0--------------------------------------

(if that made any sense at all). Just mix it up a little instead of having just a boring bar of 8th's. Put some 3-tuplets in there if you wish.

+'s = overall main riff, drums
-'s = rhythm in the beginning

I look forward to what's gonna get tacked on the end next... sounds sweet. Btw... is that a double-dropped B tuning you're in? Haven't seen that one before :P

Crit mine too?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909868
Thanx!

EDIT: meh, my top row on that little tab got messed up... figures. That top row starts at the first 0/2 chord.