2 Untitled Metal songs [Midi, GP4, GP5](for both)

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Untitled Metal songs [Midi, GP4, GP5](for both)

Skillet_Panhead
07-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted but I've still been hanging around and grabbing tabs here and there. I've also been busy playing around w/GP5 and writing song after song after song :P

So i have 2 songs here, one is incomplete, and the other one some people may recognize at first because I posted it a long time ago before I finished it. Now it's been finalized for critique.

I'll start with the unfinished one. This is just a simple 0/3/5 metal track I came up with in dropped C tuning (you'll see why I say 0/3/5 when you take a look at the tab). To some it may remind you of Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster", because it even seems a little like it to ME. Please note that anything similar between the two songs was NOT intentional. That's the "Untitled Metal" zip file.

The 2nd one, as I meantioned before, I posted back when only the intro was done, as I was playing with guitar harmonies. This song is now complete and ready to go out there. The little bit I posted previously got some pretty sweet feedback so I'm hoping to get some more here. This one, I believe is in dropped D, though I can't remember if I went D, or decided to go a step lower to C. So lemme know what ya think here. This is the "Untitled Harmonized Metal" zip file.

And yes, they're both title-less at the moment lmao.

EDIT: btw, I'd reccommend using GP5's RSE with these, but if it's not available to you, that's fine. It doesn't effect the Harmonized one so much, but the incomplete one really relies on the RSE with certain effects I have set up.

EDIT 2: ATTENTION TO ALL, if you haven't seen my most recent post yet, I just posted an updated version of the Untitled Harmonized Metal song. So please check that one out if you will.

FlyingPooooo
07-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Not a big fan of the solo in the 0/3/5 track but I must say.
I've never seen three chords used to interestingly.
Good job on that.
It was interesting but the transition wasn't smooth.

Next song....
I must just not like your solo styling.
=/

However the rhythms are very interesting.
Good job.

Crit?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15271384#post15271384

Skillet_Panhead
07-15-2008, 09:55 AM
haha. Yeah with the 0/3/5 one I was just messing around one night and was like, "Hey, this could sound really cool" so I opened up my Guitar Pro (as I do every time I come up with something I think sounds cool) and started tabbing it out. And then it just turned into that.

Meh, I don't mind if you don't like the solos, lol. For all I know, I could change them both completely as I still have yet to find a good style that I really like. I guess once I get better at guitar I'll be able to come up with a better/more complex style than what I have now.

Rodex89
07-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey man thanks for the crit!

Anyways let me tell you what I thought of 1, I'm at work so I cant listen to both yet. Intro, could be a lot more layered, its way to basic for me but the progression would sound nice with more instruments or maybe a more complex riff.

Then you kick into your heavy part, which btw I was head banging in secrecy at my desk. This and the last riff at the end were your best parts IMO. The solo had some good ideas, but no real structure and sometimes I just really didn't like the way it sounded. I think you should work on writing solos, because your riffs are both catchy and heavy, although a bit simplistic (which is not a problem at all.)

Overall id say about a 7/10. Also the drums were effing awesome so actually 7.5/10.

Keep up the good work.

Mudhippy2011
07-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Drums and riffs were kickass, and I liked the part in the solo whith all the pull-offs onto open, but none of the other solos really hit the "it" factor for me... but I can't solo either, so...

Best parts: Riff at the end of the first song, Riffs thoughout the second, drums.

Worst parts: Solos were meh...

You want to do a huge favor for a dumb hippy? Tell me how you put the files in a .zip, please.

Skillet_Panhead
07-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Drums and riffs were kickass, and I liked the part in the solo whith all the pull-offs onto open, but none of the other solos really hit the "it" factor for me... but I can't solo either, so...

Best parts: Riff at the end of the first song, Riffs thoughout the second, drums.

Worst parts: Solos were meh...

You want to do a huge favor for a dumb hippy? Tell me how you put the files in a .zip, please.

Thanks for an honest crit. (and to everyone else too) I'm still playing around with soloing stuff, which is why they may sound a little weird or seem not to have any direction. I think eventually I'll hit one dead on the spot but until then I'll just keep practicing with it and listening to you all say they don't work for ya (if I make that sound like a bad thing it's unintentional). I appreciate the honesty though because it's really helping.

Hehe, I'm glad you liked the drums, because I'm primarily a drummer myself, but I'm trying to make the guitar my primary instrument. But here's a question--on the 2nd song, do the drums on measures 42-44 in the chorus (and all the other choruses as well) sound a little weird? The 2nd snare hit in each measure just seems a little out of place... should I move it to half-time drums with just one snare hit? That's what I've been thinking of doing.

And to put the files into a .zip folder, select all the files you want placed in it by using the CTRL key when you click them, and right click on one and go over to "Send To" and select "Compressed (Zipped) Folder". Hope that helps :D And thanks again for the crit.

Mudhippy2011
07-16-2008, 12:31 AM
The drums in the choruses seemed good to me, but all I can do on drums is a really simple 4/4 rock beat.

Skillet_Panhead
07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey all, I just updated the drums earlier today and started to add some strings to the Harmonized song. Lemme know what you think of the strings, which (so far) are just in the introduction but will be placed in the breakdown as well... probably to replace the solo for now. For some reason the 2nd measure of strings doesn't sound right though (to me anyway). If you have suggestions I'd appreciate it.

PLUS, I'm in the process of recording the Harmonized Metal track, and it's being a pain in the butt since I always mess up most when I record, but expect a rough (I mean ROUGH) recording on my profile by the end of the week.

MattAnderson111
07-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I listened to the harmonized metal song, (since im a real sucker to harmonization)

I enjoyed it but yeah, the solos do need some work, i had to turn the drums down a bit, b/c they were really overpowering everything else.

Overall-7/10 Has Some room for improvement, but not much

Crit Mine? http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910884

Skillet_Panhead
07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I enjoyed it but yeah, the solos do need some work, i had to turn the drums down a bit, b/c they were really overpowering everything else.

Yeah, the drums on all my tabs will tend to overpower if you're not using the RSE. It's just because I can't stand listening to tabs with the RSE where you can't hear the kick drum (because RSE drums suck for that very reason), so I turn the drums up as high as I can get them to kinda remedy the problem... it works... sometimes... But yeah, if you don't have RSE just turn the drums down, it won't hurt anything.

And an update on my recording of the song... I have both guitars recorded all the way until Pre-Chorus 1. I still haven't quite gotten the Chorus riff down yet so that's as far as I went. I'll upload it tomorrow when I have more time because I'm logging off for the night soon.

M-String
07-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Unititled metal. I could see what you were going for but, i just really don't think you pulled off the 4/4 to 9/8 transitions well enough. And the solo was really hard to hear most of the time, kinda bummed me out, but the last riff in the last riff (37 to the end) sounds really cool. the whole thing diffenitly leaves a lot to be disered, but i guess its not done yet, but i gotta give it a 6.5/10 :(

bakshandloomis
07-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Critting Untitled Harmonized Metal.

The harmonized intro was kind of boring to be honest. I like the heavy intro though. I couldn't stand the drums during the chorus. The drums during the breakdown sounds screwed up. You should probably think of a better way to go into the breakdown. And you should take out that pause. It was kind of hard to pay attention to the solo with the rhythm of the breakdown going on at the same time. I think you should take out the breakdown entirely and just find a new rhythm for that solo.

_deathrip
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
First one is kinda ripoff on Metallica - Some Kind of Monster....

Skillet_Panhead
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
First one is kinda ripoff on Metallica - Some Kind of Monster....

And as I mentioned in the post at the beginning of this thread, that was unintentional, it just came out like that.