how often do you need to change electric guitar strings???

PDA

View Full Version : how often do you need to change electric guitar strings???

MRWHITE35
07-17-2008, 01:14 PM
how often do you need to change electric guitar strings???
The reason I ask is somebody told me they go dead, and lose tone
is this correct??? I normally play about 2 hours every evening.

Ghold125
07-17-2008, 01:16 PM
i change mine every 2 weeks

getaddicted
07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
it depends of how much you play and lots of different stuff i change mine a bout every month cause im poor and cant afford to buy strings every other week haha

Fast_Fingers
Times you play a week per month is a good estimate. You can probably half the amount of times you do it if you use Elixirs or extended life strings like the GHS Infinity.

danielrobbyshor
every day if you can afford to

Tubyboulin
07-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Im lazy so i change them every few months, and because unless my parents are away im playing through an MG so it doesnt make a difference, but for 2 hours every night then every 3-4 weeks should be fine.

Ssargentslayer
07-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah I tend to change mine every time I play. It really helps you play better ;)

jcp42877
07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

well depending on how long you play a day, but i mean come on.. new strings take a few days to set in to get that good tone...i mean "brand new" strings sometimes sound worst than old ones

steven seagull
07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
That's just silly, not to mention incredibly tedious.

Every couple of months is about right for your average home player, I know a few guys who change before every gig but that's about as far as you need to go.

timzee117
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM

you really only need to change them once a month at the latest

2 weeks is kinda unnecessary though, even though i change mine like literally every 10 days lol

everlong12
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah I tend to change mine every time I play. It really helps you play better ;)

i think thats bs. you dont need to change your strings every time you play, your just wasting money.

unholy_love
07-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Every two weeks? Nice...

Tom 1.0
07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
every few weeks, and defo before every gig

Nick Layton
07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
If you play a couple of hours a night you should be fine changing strings about every other week...if you had to you could probably last a month. If you were playing 3-4 hours a day once a week is probably more accurate.

MRWHITE35
07-17-2008, 01:29 PM
thanks all,
so it's right then that they lose tone in time?

Nick Layton
07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, they definitely lose "tone"...although some people dislike the sound of brand new strings and prefer slightly worn in strings better.

CrackerJack465
07-17-2008, 01:44 PM
once a month usually.

braydz
07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
what strings should i get? ive never changed the strings on my guitar and ive had it for like 5months.. i dunno much about it all as im still relatively new to the guitar scene.

hitman_47
07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Crap. The last time I changed my electric strings was like a year ago...

CrackerJack465
07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Rub your finger under the guitar. If you look at your finger and see smudge and crap, change the strings.

Just take the guitar to your local shop and be a noob and say recomend me some strings. I did that for a while.

|Matt Dolan|
07-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Usually every month or 2, that includes band practice twice a week and the rare small gig, I get excited when I buy a new gauge/brand of strings. :$

Axe Murderer
07-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Going on 2 months now for both my guitars. The strings look and play good, so why change em just to change em???? BTW, I have 4 sets of reserves, so its not a matter of me being cheap. Theres just no need.

*Oh, and a hint to some of yall--try washing your hands before you play or practice. Your strings and fretboard will thank your for it. (ya nasty bastards)*

J.MitMetallica
07-17-2008, 02:49 PM
I changed mine last about a month and a half ago, and have played 2 gigs in that time ((last one yesterday). The tone has now finally gone, after that performance, and was 'going' before that.
New strings sound better, and feel better, but not brand new strings.

JeanMi36
07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Every 2 weeks or so.

Dave_Mc
07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
That's just silly, not to mention incredibly tedious.

Every couple of months is about right for your average home player, I know a few guys who change before every gig but that's about as far as you need to go.

yeah, i only change mine every several months. but then the climate's not too extreme here. EDIT: well, other than extremely shit.

it depends on a bunch of factors, i guess. :)

Mojo Filter
07-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Depends on the guitar.

Strats and teles I change more often. Gibsons and Gibson type guitar less often cause it just doesn't seem critical to have good bright tones with those twin humbucker guitars.

ShredGod George
07-17-2008, 04:42 PM
i generally put on a new set whenever one breaks,
so usually...
4-6 weeks
depends on the strings too
some last way longer than others

-Blue-
07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Every 6-8 weeks, a little longer sometimes. When I get a better guitar I might change them more, though.

Ghold125
07-17-2008, 06:30 PM
2 weeks is kinda unnecessary though, even though i change mine like literally every 10 days lol

It's more like 3 weeks, but about every 20 days. And I buy strings in bulk :liplick:
but now im in a rut, I changed from skinny top/heavy bottoms, to regular slinky's. So now im stuck with 6 packets for strings. But when I get my new guitar, i have a hard choice

Dog454
07-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Some people have to change them more than others really. I usually change mine more or less every 2 months and I keep them clean with a soft shammy cloth. Pinch each string with a cloth between your fingers and the string and run it down the string and back up, then look at what comes off of your hands after you play.

Now on the other hand, one of my guitarists doesn't have to change his strings for 6 months because he uses coated strings, and for some reason, even when the coating is gone, the things don't even rust. When I use coated strings, the parts of the string where it makes contact with the fret wears away the coating, and the rust builds up like crazy.

Braxton12
03-22-2011, 10:28 PM
it depends on the type of strings you use, how often you play, how hard you play (how hard you fret and how hard you attack the strings), and how dirty/sweaty/greasy your hands are when you play.

If you wash your hands before you play, dont sweat much or have greasy hands while playing, dont murder your strings, and use plain steel strings, you should change them no later than every 3 months, preferably every 2 or 1 1/2. If you clean your strings off with a microfiber cloth or something before and after you play they should last longer too.
If you use coated strings your looking at a basic rule of thumb of about every 6 months or sooner.

DomoRage
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
For me, I just change until my finger gets dirty from sliding my fingers down the string, or when one breaks. Or just change them every month or so.

DamagingExcess
03-22-2011, 11:10 PM
When ever I can get the money to buy them. I'm so broke it's not even funny lol

butterfingers30
03-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Like everyone else said, it depends how much your play. I do it every couple of months.

WesM.Vaughan
03-23-2011, 01:54 AM
*Oh, and a hint to some of yall--try washing your hands before you play or practice. Your strings and fretboard will thank your for it. (ya nasty bastards)*

If only you knew the diseases my guitar strings carry...

The biggest problem I have with strings is intonation...which seems to to be affected by gunk on the strings and when the strings oxidize from sweat. I put on a brand new pair of strings and in one day the plain steel strings look like they have oxidized because I forgot to wipe them down after playing. I can deal with dull tone for practicing until a gig is coming up but having strings out of intonation is frustrating.

I was told by a guitar tech that the pros will change the strings on a guitar after only two hours of playing. That is why he said so many players try to get endorsed by any string manufacturer they can, because new strings are better than brand X strings.

Offworld92
03-23-2011, 02:46 AM
You don't ever need to, technically. It really doesn't matter, and there isn't a rule or standard. Just whenever you feel you need to.

I like doing it ever 3 months or so, because I cannot stand the "new string feel".

androidred0100
03-23-2011, 03:02 AM
I usually change my strings at the start of a new semester and the beginning of summer or if I break a sting I'll replace them all. So roughly once every 4 months even though I play like 2-4 hours a day. I simply hate the feel and sound of new strings.

On a semi-related note; I think I haven't changed the strings on my bass in like 2 years... but I only play that occasionally.

DeadlyDevil1985
03-23-2011, 03:04 AM
When a string breaks. :P

TimmyPage06
03-23-2011, 03:25 AM
It depends on how much you play, how acidic your skin oils are, and how you like your tone. For myself, I love the typical tone knob rolled down jazz guitar tone with flatwound strings, which sound a little dull from the beginning, so I end up changing strings.. every time I feel like testing a new gauge. I havent touched the strings on my archtop in maybe 7-8 months, whereas I just changed to 12's recently on my Telecaster, so it was strung 2 weeks ago.

AkiraSpectrum
03-23-2011, 03:26 AM
6-12 months for me, lol.

austhrax
03-23-2011, 05:22 AM
be lucky to change mine 1 a year,ive always been bad for that,guess i hate changing them lol,mite get my ass into gear and change them on weekend,def sounds better when u change them more.

Syriel
03-23-2011, 06:12 AM
2-3 months, depending on how often I have played it. :D

Fred the Shred
03-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Depending on the number of gigs, they are usually changed every week or 2 weeks tops.

OceansBetweenUs
03-23-2011, 09:26 AM
I usually change them once a month. However, I just bought Dean Markley Cryosomething strings and after 1-2 weeks of playing them the silver coating has already rubbed off. They sounded decent when I got them, but pretty crap in general to show such wear so quickly.

Ne0Assass1n
03-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Once every month or 2, and before and after any gig.

MidnightReaper
03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
I change mine before every gig and after every all day practice so thats like 1 time every 1-2 months.

ethan_hanus
03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Everyone in this thread is wrong. Why, because you'll change your strings whenever you have the money to change them.

Anyways, 2 weeks to a month is always a good point to change your strings, but if you can't, then you can't.

oneguitartwo
01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
I place a very, very small drop of fine machine oil on each string where it crosses the nut and bridge of my guitars at least once a week. The oil helps to prevent friction in these areas, where the strings are most likely to break. And clean the strings and neck of the guitar at least once a week. I also make sure my hands are clean before I play the guitar. My strings last for months. I do this to my semi-hollowbody and strat and the strings sound bright and stay in tune for months. I play 1-2 hours everyday plus gigs and pay close attention to tone and tuning and it all sounds good to me. If you do a lot of string bending you may want to change more often, but otherwise if you just keep them clean and oiled at the contact points (bridge & nut) they should last a long time.

RiffRaff61
01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
what strings should i get? ive never changed the strings on my guitar and ive had it for like 5months.. i dunno much about it all as im still relatively new to the guitar scene.

I use Rotosound 9's on my LP and my Indie, 10's on Strats. Might be hard to find in the States though. Before I moved to England I swore by Ernie Ball Slinkys for years.

Azunaii
01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I easily go through 6 months+ without changing strings. Definetly noticable when I then end up changing them, but guitar still sounds fine near the end. I play ~5-6 hours a week though, so no heavy duty stuff...

I could replace them more often, but as it is I would run out of cash real fast, heh.

avenge the rage
01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Once every 6 months or when a string breaks, or if I remember.

I find that with my tone string brightness isn't my main issue so I don't tend to mind too much. It's a problem though on stage when I snap the bottom string every time......damn

omidmash
01-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Rub your finger under the guitar. If you look at your finger and see smudge and crap, change the strings.

What this guy says. Whenever strings feel bad in my hands (roughly 7-8 weeks or more) I change them. I prefer the sound of slightly worked strings.
I change strings the night before a gig so they can stretch and get worn in the practice room.

jjbarnes
01-12-2012, 03:04 PM
For me it's when a string breaks. New strings sound far too bright and tinny for the first few days for me and I dont like brightness. On another note its why I went up to 11s from 10s. Stupid high e string breaking on bends.

paulears
06-28-2013, 08:44 AM
When I break a string, and with my playing style that's rare. In fact I think I might have a record. Since I regretted selling by first guitar, I've kept them all, and I have an echo 12 string bought for me in 1980, which has the same strings one They're a bit rough, BUT they still are quite jangly, so quite playable. I have my first bass from 76, and this too, like my other basses has NEVER had a new string fitted. Tone always was dull, and it seems to changed little. I'm sure some people have Alien style acid sweat, and maybe NEED to change their strings each gig, but not me. Our guitarist is amazed that I don't change strings as he does - each week. He asked me what I do about breaking strings, so I told him that I very rarely break a string, and if I did, I'd just swap the one! Maybe it's my hearing being a bit old, and perhaps I just can't hear this amazing extra brightness new strings give you. When he puts new strings on, if he just turned the top end down a bit, then restored it bit by bit every outing - would he hear the difference?