The Peavey XXX/JSX/Ultra Only Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Peavey XXX/JSX/Ultra Only Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Rooskiy
02-06-2009, 12:00 AM
alright so which one should I get the xxx or jsx? i poseted a wtb thread in the classifieds some guy told me the jsx isnt as good but is more versitile. what do you guitarists think about this?

Holy-Diver
02-06-2009, 12:41 AM
i think the jsx is better. imo
i figured that about the bugeras, my other guitarist needs a new amp head and he loves my xxx and the jsx. but i figure he would probably be better gettin a used xxx

Johnbryant
02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
^Sell him yours then buy another TripleX or JSX, and most likly you will never have any problems.

bjovi400
02-07-2009, 01:18 PM
alright so which one should I get the xxx or jsx? i poseted a wtb thread in the classifieds some guy told me the jsx isnt as good but is more versitile. what do you guitarists think about this?
that some guy was probably me. What genre are you going for. If it's heavy and will consist of metalcore, deathmetal, molodeth, etc. etc. etc. etc. lol, XXX>JSX

If it's gonna be rock, classic rock, hard rock, metal w/ OD, then JSX>XXX

i was at a concert last night and oth guitarists in the band OutReach used JSX's. They had very nice heavy tones, but he had a few pedals in his chain. Plus, theirs were slightly modded with a few cosmetic changes, and probably 6l6's. I didn't get around to asking him what PT's he had

Van Noord
02-07-2009, 01:29 PM
The bottom line is that both the XXX and JSX can do all kinds of metal and classic rock.
The XXX has more gain but is colder sounding.
The JSX has more clarity and is warmer sounding.

yoyodunno
02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
But, since Brett Michaels uses triple xxx's, then they win. Or wait, maybe they lose?!

bjovi400
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
But, since Brett Michaels uses triple xxx's, then they win. Or wait, maybe they lose?!
Bret Michaels = egotistical Dbag

Egotistical Dbag < XXX

Therefore, Bret looses, XXX wins.

Johnbryant
02-08-2009, 12:18 AM
The bottom line is that both the XXX and JSX can do all kinds of metal and classic rock.
The XXX has more gain but is colder sounding.
The JSX has more clarity and is warmer sounding.
I think this is difference between 6l6s and EL34, I use EL34's in my triple X and it really changed the amp voicing now its more to my liking. The Triple XXX only has more gain on the crunch channel, the ultra channels on each amp are basically the same. Yes both amps are capable of all different types of music from Classic rock to Metal, but the JSX is much more usable for classic rock, and the Triple XXX is slightly better for metal since it has more gain on the crunch channel. At the end of the day I give the JSX the upper hand, although I use the Triple XXX, both amps are awesome and are WAY underrated.

yoyodunno
02-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Sweet.

I'm gonna buy all new tubes for my triple xxx since it's not working and I gotta make sure that's not the problem. I opened up the amp and checked all the fuses, and they're all still good, so if the tubes aren't the problem I will be pissed.

Van Noord
02-08-2009, 01:15 AM
I think this is difference between 6l6s and EL34, I use EL34's in my triple X and it really changed the amp voicing now its more to my liking. The Triple XXX only has more gain on the crunch channel, the ultra channels on each amp are basically the same. Yes both amps are capable of all different types of music from Classic rock to Metal, but the JSX is much more usable for classic rock, and the Triple XXX is slightly better for metal since it has more gain on the crunch channel. At the end of the day I give the JSX the upper hand, although I use the Triple XXX, both amps are awesome and are WAY underrated.I use EL34's with my JSX too. I feel like they just help make the amp breathe fire at high volumes.
Regarding the XXX ultra channel, it is quite different than the JSX ultra. The XXX ultra channel has a higher, more raspy sounding gain While the JSX ultra channel is more articulate and compressed with a reduced, more usuable gain.
I like both amps, but chose the JSX over it for many reasons.

yoyodunno
02-08-2009, 01:44 AM
To me the JSX ultra channel seemed to have a more squishy saturation, than the tighter sound of my triple xxx. But, yeah the gain is more useable at all ranges on the JSX, while on the triple xxx ultra channel I never go past halfway. Seems like people fix this on the triple xxx by using lower gain preamp tubes.

yoyodunno
02-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Btw, guys what tubes do you recommend for the triple xxx?

I'm thinking of going with: 3 tungsol 12AX7's, 1 Jan Phillips 5751, 2 JJ EL-34's. I'm not sure if I should go for KT-77's instead.

Van Noord
02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I like JJ ECC83S's in the V1 & V2 spots beause they darken up the voicing a bit and aren't overly harsh or grainy sounding like I found EH and Tungsols to be.
I can't comment on the Jan Phillips, but I would defintely try them along with RFT's and Mullard reissues.
I've heard nothing but great things about JJ KT77's in the JSX, so I would imagine the same would go for the XXX.

yoyodunno
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok so: 2 JJ 12AX7's, 1 Tungsol 12AX7, 1 Jan Phillips 5751, and 2 JJ KT77's.

Van Noord
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok so: 2 JJ 12AX7's, 1 Tungsol 12AX7, 1 Jan Phillips 5751, and 2 JJ KT77's.Do you plan on putting the lower gain 5751 in the V4 Phase Invertor spot? I think that would be the best place for it.

yoyodunno
02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah I guess whichever place people put the lower gain tube to get more useable gain.

Van Noord
02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah I guess whichever place people put the lower gain tube to get more useable gain.Yeah, the other places would be V1 or V2. Those spots may reduce the gain too much for your liking though. No harm in experimenting and deciding for youself.

xFilth
02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I <3 my XXX Super 40 EFX! It does every genre great, but hi-gain stuff amazingly

aznrockerdude
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-and-equipment/77993-so-i-tried-out-the-new-peavey-3120-today.html

As I've said, I haven't played one, but I don't find it hard to believe either. GC is selling the halfstack for a grand though: pretty damn awesome deal regardless.

Holy-Diver
02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
^Sell him yours then buy another TripleX or JSX, and most likly you will never have any problems.
....yes.
i think i will

Johnbryant
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-and-equipment/77993-so-i-tried-out-the-new-peavey-3120-today.html

As I've said, I haven't played one, but I don't find it hard to believe either. GC is selling the halfstack for a grand though: pretty damn awesome deal regardless.
The head alone is a grand, the cab will be extra.

bjovi400
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
The head alone is a grand, the cab will be extra.
no, Guitar Center is giving away a free ValveKing cab with the 3120 head for $999.

I played it already, and i actually do really like it. The ultra channel isn't as fizzy as the 6505's, but darker than the XXX's. and the cleans are equivalent to the XXX's. Also, the crunch channel isn't dark like the XXX's so, for the most part, they did a good job making a new sounding amp.

BUT IT DOESN"T HAVE REVERB!!!!

i <3 reverb. :D

Johnbryant
02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
^ Holy crap, thats a steal. The VK cab sucks, but for free I would take one. The tonal differences you are hearing are most likly from the tubes/cab because they have the exact same curcitry as the Triple X. The Ultra Channel and the Crunch are the same as well as the clean. The only difference is the 3120s come stock with EL34s (which the amp actually sounds best with these amps IMO) and a much need cosmetic make over. The Triple XXX combos look great I think (once you remove the gody naked trucker chick) but the head just look like a crappy atempt to look like a Rectifier, and the tucker chicks just look very teenager and I sure the name of the amp probably turned off a few buyers. I think Peavey did a great job with the 3120 bring the price level down and making a better looking and better sounding amp right out of the box, although this will make our Triple XXX be worth less at the end of the day.

bjovi400
02-15-2009, 12:04 AM
OMG. YOYO my XXX stopped working too!! WTF DID YOU DO!?!? lol

both powertubes and the PI tube isn't glowing at all, but the Preamp tubes are.

edit: it's at the shop now, it seems as though i blew out my power amp somehow, or i blew a resistor, because the preamp is absolutely fine. The poweramp was literally dead

bjovi400
03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I GOT MY AMP BACK!!!

the guy that worked on it told me the problem was in the powertube socket and the PI tube. Apparently the amp couldn't handle the KT77's (even though it was set in EL-34) so a resistor or something blew. It probably needed to be re biased :confused:

idk, i'm not good with the technical parts.

But he said he replaced what ever part blew with another that can handle higher power.

It sounds EXCELLENT!! i missed it so much! :) :)

yoyodunno
03-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Yeah dude I still haven't gotten it fixed lol. I miss the brootal sound sooo much, I put in some new tubes and still it didn't help.

Btw, how much did it cost to get fixed?

bjovi400
03-02-2009, 02:00 PM
what did you say was wrong with yours? the same thing??

yoyodunno
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the same exact symptom. The first three preamp tubes glow, and after that none of the tubes glow.

bjovi400
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
have you switched the preamp tubes around? and it's just those spots that will not light?

The guy that fixed mine is an electrician/electronics repair man that goes to my church, and he did the whole thing for $100, plus he put 2 new 12Ax7's in. The shop 'All About Music (http://allaboutmusiconline.net/Home.html) ' in Baltimore, is supposed to be where Guitar Center sends their repairs to, said they were going to charge $60 just to look at it, and then $___ per hour to fix it, and that wasn't including parts.

What i said in the post last night is pretty much all i know. I could give him a call for you if you want

edit: he had said that the power tubes were wrong or the amp couldn't take the power from them and thats how it went. But your not running KT77's...maybe the bias went off from where it is set somehow??

i have no fricken clue lol

yoyodunno
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah I switched around all the tubes, and even got all new tubes. I'll see what my local shop charges to fix it.

bjovi400
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM
i would just give em' a call, and THOROUGHLY explain the situation and see what they say. I called All About Music and told him the problem and specified that it was a combo, and later on he says "...now this is for the head right?" then began making pitch noises trying to describe the high end of one of his amps.

i had no idea how that was supposed to help me.

thedekker
03-17-2009, 11:17 PM
just put 500 down on my JSX 120 head today

will post pics when i get it

as far as cab goes, do i get the peavey cab as well, or is there something better i should get?

Mathisto1977
03-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi all - I posted this in a thread of it's own but was advised to put it in here too...hopefully someone can help...thanks in advance!

Hi all!

I have recently purchased a JSX combo second hand. It is in amazing condition cosmetically (which is irrelevant I know) and the clean, crunch and ultra channels are great. But for some reason the Noise Gate and the Master Reverb both do not work what so ever. I play at hi gain then play with the noise gate and nothing happens...the reverb can be at any level and there is simply no reverb. Has anyone else had this problem? Have I not turned something on or turned something off? I hope there is a simple explanation. Only had the amp for 2 days and I'm worried it might be a dud...Please help! Thanks!

311ZOSOVHJH
03-18-2009, 12:58 AM
It has a reverb tank so check that out and possibly clean the contacts. How dirty is it? Has it gigged? There may or may not be a tube that helps control the reverb. Check manual. Noise gate - no clue but

...does anyone know if the gate is software, resistor, or motor based?

Mathisto1977
03-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Great thanks will try the reverb tank when I get home! It was used as a giggin amp, the previous owner had it from new for approx 1 1/2 years and told me he has played 50+ gigs with it. Fingers crossed the reverb will work tonight! Thanks again!

311ZOSOVHJH
03-18-2009, 03:10 AM
:cheers:

i'm just throwin out ideas - let us know

beadhangingOne
03-18-2009, 03:17 AM
i would just give em' a call, and THOROUGHLY explain the situation and see what they say. I called All About Music and told him the problem and specified that it was a combo, and later on he says "...now this is for the head right?" then began making pitch noises trying to describe the high end of one of his amps.

i had no idea how that was supposed to help me.

Hey man how do the KT77's sound on your XXX? J/W cuz I'm looking into a tube change in the near future, don't know what to get.

Johnbryant
03-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I GOT MY AMP BACK!!!

the guy that worked on it told me the problem was in the powertube socket and the PI tube. Apparently the amp couldn't handle the KT77's (even though it was set in EL-34) so a resistor or something blew. It probably needed to be re biased :confused:

idk, i'm not good with the technical parts.

But he said he replaced what ever part blew with another that can handle higher power.

It sounds EXCELLENT!! i missed it so much! :) :)
Screen Grid resistors are to small for KT77s. Triple Xs should only be run with 6l6s and El34s, there are a couple EL34 based tubes that will blow the screen grid resitors, one being the JJ E34L, and it looks like the KT77 is another tube the triple doesn't like without changing the values of the screen grid resistors. The newer Triple X's are supose to come with higher value resistors, I am sure the 3120 do as well, none of the Triple X combos have the upgraded resistors though.

Mathisto1977
03-26-2009, 11:10 PM

i'm just throwin out ideas - let us know

Just tried the tank and still no good...going to have to take it in I think...thanks for your help mate!

Mathisto1977
03-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Anyone know if a JSX Combo will power a 4x12 Combo?

311ZOSOVHJH
03-30-2009, 01:28 AM
^you mean a 412 cab?

without looking it up i'm sure it has speaker outs to do that. Just match ohms.

Mathisto1977
03-30-2009, 01:48 AM
yeah sorry...cab not combo...thanks!

cloud041089
04-01-2009, 11:23 PM
i just got my 60 watt combo XXX and i think it's fine, could use a tubescreamer and definitely an EQ pedal. but am i the only one that's incredibly disappointed with the leads? the rhythm is pretty good and tapping lower on the neck is great (eruption, power rangers), but other than that the leads are really bad, i actually shred a lot better on guitar rig 2 and my 15 watt ibanez. the sound of my pick hitting the strings overpowers the notes i'm trying to play... and the notes make it sound like i'm using half the gain it's actually set to. but maybe i'm just a tube noob and i'll get used to it.

Holy-Diver
04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
which preamp slots are for gain etc ?
ie, v1=???
i have the 120w head

Van Noord
04-01-2009, 11:37 PM
which preamp slots are for gain etc ?
ie, v1=???
i have the 120w headShould be V2, like the head.
I'm actually not very fond of the XXX ultra channel. The gain is just way over the top and it makes the channel thin and harsh sounding. I'm happy they didn't include it in the design of the JSX.

Holy-Diver
04-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Should be V2, like the head.
is there a reference/chart that you know of?

beadhangingOne
04-02-2009, 12:22 AM
i just got my 60 watt combo XXX and i think it's fine, could use a tubescreamer and definitely an EQ pedal. but am i the only one that's incredibly disappointed with the leads? the rhythm is pretty good and tapping lower on the neck is great (eruption, power rangers), but other than that the leads are really bad, i actually shred a lot better on guitar rig 2 and my 15 watt ibanez. the sound of my pick hitting the strings overpowers the notes i'm trying to play... and the notes make it sound like i'm using half the gain it's actually set to. but maybe i'm just a tube noob and i'll get used to it.

turn down the treble on the eq. And if that's not enough, turn down the tone for your bridge pup. My lead tone is fine, so I don't really know.

Johnbryant
04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Should be V2, like the head.
I'm actually not very fond of the XXX ultra channel. The gain is just way over the top and it makes the channel thin and harsh sounding. I'm happy they didn't include it in the design of the JSX.
A 12at7 in ethier V2 or V3 fixes that, also keeping the gain below 12:00 keeps things nice and controled, anything more than 1:00 is WAY to much and things just start getting nasty.

yoyodunno
04-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah on the ultra channel I always have the gain at 12 oclock.

cloud041089
04-05-2009, 06:23 AM
i got a tubescreamer for my 60 watt XXX combo which helps a lot but it's still sounding pretty muddy compared to demos on youtube. including one with the same exact setup as me except the guitar. could the guitar and pickups make that much of a difference? cause i'm still using my jumpstart ibanez with stock pickups (the one that looks like an RG).

could it also be the tubes? the seller put new JJ tubes and a speaker prior to selling it. Celestion G12T-75, 2- 6L6GT power tubes and 4- 12AX7 preamp tubes. i know nothing about tubes so yeah.

yoyodunno
04-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah the pickups could be making the difference, or the guitar. I would try something like GFS pickups, they only cost around 30 dollars and are pretty good.

nutinpwnsgibson
04-05-2009, 01:38 PM
hey guys, im looking at one of the old peavey ultra 112. are there any footswitches like the XXX one that might work with it?

cloud041089
04-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah the pickups could be making the difference, or the guitar. I would try something like GFS pickups, they only cost around 30 dollars and are pretty good.
never heard of those, but i'll have a look. i was thinking about dimarzio d activators.

Toniofalcon
04-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Tried out a JSX today, **** was marked down to 900 ( combo ) but I didn't have the money, which sucked.

Anyways, I loved the clean tone out of it, lol. Didn't do much distorted stuff.

Johnbryant
04-07-2009, 09:50 AM
^ Too bad because the OD tones are where theses amp sound the best and what they where made to do the Cleans are just medicore even on the JSX.

TJM2482
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I have a XXX Super 40 EFX combo, but I'm not satisfied with the ultra channel. The crunch channel is thick, saturated, etc., but the ultra channel sounds kind of thin/dry. I bought the amp used, so I'm thinking I should get new tubes.

If I'm correct, which tubes should I get to keep the crunch tone somewhat the same, while making the ultra channel darker?

yoyodunno
04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I have the same problem as you. What I did was get a darker humbucker in my guitar like the Rio Grande BBQ bucker. Also I would put the dampening on loose, give the amp it's mids but not too much because the mids control on the ultra channel is somewhat sterile so maybe use an EQ or a vintage type of overdrive pedal helps a lot.

Check what tubes you have, JJ's might help you get the darker tone.

Johnbryant
04-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I have a XXX Super 40 EFX combo, but I'm not satisfied with the ultra channel. The crunch channel is thick, saturated, etc., but the ultra channel sounds kind of thin/dry. I bought the amp used, so I'm thinking I should get new tubes.

If I'm correct, which tubes should I get to keep the crunch tone somewhat the same, while making the ultra channel darker?
^JJ preamp tubes are dark, and power tubes are typically on the darker side of things as well. I would recomend going with some type of 12at7 in V2 or V3 to help tame the ultra channel and posible one in V1 or V4 as well, then JJ or tung-sols (JJs being the darker tubes) 12ax7s in for thte rest of the amp. Go with JJ EL34s in the Power amp section, NOT JJ E34L, EL34s only in the Triple X unless you want to have the screen grid resistors replaced.

On a side note the ultra channel is kinda different, its really gainy and can be well, a bit worthless for rythm to put it bluntly, if not setup properly, try keeping the gain on that channel below 10:00 and drown out some of the treble by keeping it around 10:00-11:00 and the bass and the mids at 12:00. Don't get me wrong this a GREAT channel for shreding and lead work but for rythm its just not near as good as the crunch channel. Also make sure your amp is set to loose, mid and tight are just way to over compressed for my liking, and end up over compressing the ultra channel. For me adding a 12At7 and JJ EL 34 made a big difference in this channel while still perserving the chrunch channels rawness, but made it better as well.

bjovi400
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Screen Grid resistors are to small for KT77s. Triple Xs should only be run with 6l6s and El34s, there are a couple EL34 based tubes that will blow the screen grid resitors, one being the JJ E34L, and it looks like the KT77 is another tube the triple doesn't like without changing the values of the screen grid resistors. The newer Triple X's are supose to come with higher value resistors, I am sure the 3120 do as well, none of the Triple X combos have the upgraded resistors though.
well, since he replaced it with one that could handle it, i can still go to regular 6L6's right? The tubes are starting to go in it now, so i'm retubing the whole thing.

bjovi400
04-08-2009, 11:51 PM
I emailed Doug from Dougs Tubes and he recommended RUBY EL34BSTR's, Tung-Sol reissue in V1, a high gain JJ ECC83S in V2, and a Sovtek LP.

What do you think?

edit: too late, just ordered them & added a balanced JAN 12AT7WC for the PI.

still, what do you think? lol

Van Noord
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I emailed Doug from Dougs Tubes and he recommended RUBY EL34BSTR's, Tung-Sol reissue in V1, a high gain JJ ECC83S in V2, and a Sovtek LP.

What do you think?

edit: too late, just ordered them & added a balanced JAN 12AT7WC for the PI.

still, what do you think? lolYou did good. Nice selection.

Johnbryant
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Ruby<JJ EL34, the Rubys are mediocer, but you will probably like them better than your old tubes since they were dying and all, also these amps seem to love EL34s so it will probably be better anyway. Try moving around the 12At7, it can go in any slot, leave it where it sounds best, also you don't have to have a balanced triode for the Phaser inverter BTW, Unbalanced can actually add more color to your tone, balacned triodes are ment mostly for Hi-Fi, but everyone seem to think guitar amps have to have them, which is BS.

Johnbryant
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Van Noord, Which channel are you useing on your JSX for your "heavy" dist., and what are your settings? I love my Triple X's Crunch but am not in love with the Ultra channel, I done a lot to improve it but it still lacks the rawness and greatness of the Crunch Channel. The ultra is great for shreding and lead work, but rthym its still kinda meh to me, Its thick and super bassy, but just is not the same as the Crunch.

Van Noord
04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Van Noord, Which channel are you useing on your JSX for your "heavy" dist., and what are your settings? I love my Triple X's Crunch but am not in love with the Ultra channel, I done a lot to improve it but it still lacks the rawness and greatness of the Crunch Channel. The ultra is great for shreding and lead work, but rthym its still kinda meh to me, Its thick and super bassy, but just is not the same as the Crunch.Hi John, I primarily use the ultra channel on my JSX for heavy riffing. But keep in mind that the JSX ultra channel is not the same as the XXX ultra channel.
The JSX ultra channel is actually the XXX crunch channel with added gain. I also keep the FAT switch off on the JSX ultra channel, which makes the channels gain more raw sounding. My ultra channel settings are currently: Treble@7, Mids@5, Bass@7, Gain@5. Both my Presence & Resonance dials are at 7 as well. Unfortunately these are two features that the XXX lacks, which is a shame because they really help to sculpt your high gain tone.

Johnbryant
04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Im getting a great JCM800 OD thing going on with the Crunch, its great, the gain is set at 3.5 and its pretty raunchy even with a 12at7 in one of the gain stages. I think I might need to get a Eq pedal to shape the ultra channel, it sounds really good, but its just not as good as the chruch channel, its just some where between a Rectifer and a JCM 800 and it cannot do ethier very well, it can do ethier its just not as good as the crunch channel. I going to try and turn the gain WAY down and shape from there. Right now my setting are gain at 4.5, bass at 6.5, mids at 4.5 and the treble just below 5. IDK the amp sounds alot better with the 12at7 in a gain stage also with EL34s but this channel still needs a little work. Really I bet 75% of the people probably cannot tell the difference between the two channels, and the 98% that can hear the difference think both sound great, I'm always getting complements on my tone and people are always "like what amp are you using", but this last little bit is just for me, because I know it could be better. I just wish Peavey would have made that Channel ethier be like a Marshall or a Mesa instead of trying to ride the fine line between the two, take out a little gain or add a "crunch" channel voice switch to it, that would have made me happy.

Van Noord
04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I fully understand your gripes with XXX ultra channel. I didn't quite care for it myself.
Along with reducing the gain, you also may want to reduce each eq dial one notch. As you know, being that the eq section is active the higher each dial is, the more gain and output is added to the channel. Reducing each dial slightly and increasing the channel volume one value to compensate for volume loss may help retain some tonal clarity and will reduce a bit of gain.
You could also have some success with an eq pedal, but it can be a pain to require the use of an eq pedal for one channel only. Because then you would have to activate the ultra channel and then the eq pedal if you don't want to use the eq pedal on the crunch or clean channel.
As you know, players use OD pedals to boost amps into higher gain/output territory.
But OD pedals can also be used ontop of a gain channel to change its tonal character, while keeping the gain and output at a matched level to with the OD pedal off.
If you have one lying around, maybe give that a shot on the ultra channel.

Johnbryant
04-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I Have the Jeklly and Hyde, and will give the "layered" dist a try, although I could see that becoming a muddy fizzy miss if one goes overboard lol. With a Eq I realize it might be a bit of a pain to switch channels, but I never switch channel durning a song so it should not be to much of a problem, unless I'm going to clean or somthing. Usully I don't hardly use the clean once the crunch is on, I ussually just roll the volume back on the crunch and really its quite lovely as dirty clean, it never fully cleans up, but responds to your picking dynamic with amazing results. Really I always tell my other band memebers I think I could easily live with a single channel amp that would REALY resond and clean up, I'm kinda a simple guy when it comes to this stuff. Really thats proably why I'm not liking the Ultra its just not as live and organic as the crunch. I tried the JSX when I bought the Triple X as well and liked it better, but they offered me a great deal on the Triple X since it was a disconued 212 combo and they wanted rid of it, so hook line and sinker I took it. Overall I still very happy with the Triple X I would buy it again, and recomend it, but I just have to get the ultra channel under control, and it may just be me, its just not near as easy to setup as the crunch channel. Really I found somthing close to my current setting on the crunch channel in the store, but just thought the Ultra would come with time. I'll spend an hour with her tonight and will do every thing posible with the Eq settings as well as try layering OD/Dist. we will see what hapens.

Van Noord
04-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Cool, post your results too.

With the od pedal layering, as long as you keep the pedal's level at half or less and set the pedals gain to zero or one you should easily avoid any muddyness.
Hope you have some success.

Johnbryant
04-09-2009, 12:50 PM
^I would post my results but I don't have a easy way to record, because I don't have a guitar interphase. I'll have to record where we play to a CD a then rip it onto my computer, I'd use my POD but it would color the sound and would not give the full effect. If the results are good I'll see what I can do.

bjovi400
04-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Hey John, i'm not going to have to rebias the Ruby EL34BSTR's right? just keep it in the EL34 spot and pop em' in?

Johnbryant
04-09-2009, 01:37 PM
^Hi there, Your amp should have a bias sweep that you can adjust, its really simple and its somewhat limited sweep that should not damage anything no matter where its set at, set it where it sounds the best to you, I think mine is ethier at 4 or 6, cannot remember exactly, anyway enjoy the new EL34s your amp will love you for it.

Van Noord
04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
^I would post my results but I don't have a easy way to record, because I don't have a guitar interphase. I'll have to record where we play to a CD a then rip it onto my computer, I'd use my POD but it would color the sound and would not give the full effect. If the results are good I'll see what I can do.It's okay, I didn't mean audio results. I don't have recording capabilities either LoL.
Just tell us what your impressions are and what your ears tell you.
Later,

conor1148
04-09-2009, 01:46 PM
hey guys, theres a brand new peavy XXX at the guitar store, its a 1x12 combo for only $500

is it a good deal?

yoyodunno
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Brand new that seems like a nice deal. I got mine used for that, although sometimes they go slightly cheaper.

Johnbryant
04-09-2009, 01:55 PM
^^ thats not a bad deal if you get the waranty. It depends on the model as well, the 60 watt 112 model is much better than the 40, because the 40 shares Eqs with both gain channels, that really would grip me, if its the 40 what version, it would not be worth that to me, For the 60 watt'r I'd say go for it, they sell used for about that price. Keep in mind even though the amp is "new" its going to be at least 4 years old, so its really NOS, but if they give you full waranty whats the difference?

bjovi400
04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
hey guys, theres a brand new peavy XXX at the guitar store, its a 1x12 combo for only $500

is it a good deal?
sounds like a decent deal, that's what i got mine for. If it's for the 60, jump on it, and check for a warranty

bjovi400
04-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Tubes just arrived!!!

i popped em' in, and warmed them up. There isn't very much of a dramatic improvement as i had suspected, but i can tell that the Ultra channel is much more clear and i have more gain.

I have the gain on 4-5 and it's much more than it was before. The main tone i can easily get from the Ultra channel are like Every time I Die from Children of Bodom, but for something dark like KSE or Haste the Day even, i'm still missing something.

edit: aside from a Framus Cobra or a Krank :haha

spiroth10
04-11-2009, 01:29 PM
just got my used JSX in the mail yesterday. Im fairly surprised to find that this thing gets almost the same range/versatility as my JVM does, and its got some serious tone.

and to anyone who doesnt think this amp can get brutal, they obviously either dont know how to use the active EQ, or are ignoring the presence and resonance knobs.

seriously, with the presence and resonance knobs you can take the amp from a balanced american tone to a more british style tone (Presence higher, resonance around 12 oclock or so), or if you need teh Br00talz, set the resonance to around 1 or 2 oclock (or higher if you like), and back off a bit on the presence to get some good low end.

combined with the active EQ, the presence/resonance settings can help you it almost any mid/high gain tone ever. The cleans are nice -- but I kind of wish the EQ was active there too. I find I really like the idea of an active EQ, for me, its easier to make sense of than a passive one. I've always found myself struggling with passive Equalization, but can easily dial in any tone I want, easier than on the JVM I had.

I only wish the thing could do some better low gain OD without being cranked (maybe it can, I havent really tried too hard yet). The most I can tame the thing to do is zeppelin/hendrix levels of drive. Normally I'd just say back off on the volume, but thats hard as this amp really saturates with gain (which I like), so getting a pure clean sound out of the crunch channel seems a bit tough.

overall I really like the amp. Its not my ideal tone, its probably not something I'd be happy with if I spent the new price (I paid $880 used), but its a really decent amp, best peavey ever IMO. You can easily coax out Triple XXX, 5150, or classic 30/50 tones if you can EQ and have the right gear, and while the tones arent Exactly the same they're more than acceptable. It's like having all the best peavey amps in one...

hopefully I'll continue to feel this way after the honeymoon... :-p

metallicafan616
04-11-2009, 02:07 PM
hey, is $800 a good price for a used XXX 212 shipped to England?

EDIT: guy above, i think youhave it the wrong way round, the XXX is the all in one peavey amp, capable of delivery tones similar to the other amps - although apparently the JSX has better cleans - but i thought the overdrive was missing something so i ddint get that far.

yoyodunno
04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
^^ thats not a bad deal if you get the waranty. It depends on the model as well, the 60 watt 112 model is much better than the 40, because the 40 shares Eqs with both gain channels, that really would grip me, if its the 40 what version, it would not be worth that to me, For the 60 watt'r I'd say go for it, they sell used for about that price. Keep in mind even though the amp is "new" its going to be at least 4 years old, so its really NOS, but if they give you full waranty whats the difference?
There is an EQ for the Ultra channel, and then an EQ for the shared Crunch/Clean channel. I never use clean channel so it makes no difference.

bjovi400
04-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I have discovered, lol, that the Ultra Channel is only best for really gritty stuff, for me it best suits my love for Dokken and Ratt, etc.

IF ONLY IT WASN'T SO DAMN THIN!!! lol. Has anyone emailed Peavey about this wide spread & global problem?

yoyodunno
04-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah dude it is thin, but if you get a thick overdrive it really helps. My bad monkey doesn't help too much, but the 'vintage overdrive' patch on my Magicstomp makes it thicker.

Also there are very fine lines on the eq where it goes from overly middy to not enough mids. So try and find the point right before there are those cold mids, then take away some treble. Basically get it as close to the crunch channel as possible.

bjovi400
04-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I have this crappy OD by this off the wall company Sabine? and it does thicken it up a bit, but at the same time makes it muddy. You ever try one of those Maxon 808's? or even the OD9 +? (KSE) lol

metallicafan616
04-12-2009, 08:28 AM
hey, is $800 a good price for a used XXX 212 shipped to England?

no one answered, so i'd like to ask again..

bjovi400
04-12-2009, 12:49 PM
no one answered, so i'd like to ask again..
yes. if it works.

yoyodunno
04-12-2009, 02:07 PM
I haven't tried one of those Maxon OD's but every one says they are really good. Something like an TS808 seems like it would work.

Metal_Man666
04-14-2009, 02:14 AM
What do you think is the best cabinet to match the Peavey XXX head? Right now i got a hartke gh412a... I'm looking for something that can really open the amp and release its true power without killing my budget... I've thought about avatar but i wanna consult the Peavey Gurus in this forum...

Any advice?

Johnbryant
04-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Anything with Vintage 30s should work, also Im sure the emenince texas heats or swamp thangs should sound nice if your more in an American voicing, although I have never tried these on the Ultra series. Cabs to stay away from are Marshall 1960's cabs, unless they are 1960V's, Triple X's don't really mix well with the G12t-75's, they sound okay if you REALLY crank them, but still the V30s are a much better match for these amps and what the Triple X speakers are modeled after.

Pr0gNut
04-19-2009, 03:55 AM
I got my JSX combo in mint condition for 900 USD,which was a pretty nice deal.The amp has been able to take literally everything I've thrown at it so far.I'm thinking of switching out the tubes for some KT77's and a nice set of 1ax7's sometime soon,just to see how it changes the amps tonal characteristics.

bjovi400
04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
i think i fixed the problem with the Ultra channel somewhat. I went out to Guitar Center and low and behold, they had a XXX 212 combo out there. So i took it into the loud room and had a bunch of different OD's and the MXR 10-band EQ.

I ended up taking home the EQ because when you slightly boost the mids and bass frequencies, it thickens it up a bit. Now, it's not COMPLETELY fixed, lol, but it is a noticeable difference. The OD's were ok, i just hated not having a good range to EQ them by because each one, even when set as a clean boost, had too much or too little of something.

A new set of pups and i think i will have completely nailed it and hopefully will never have the problem again.

My tone now sounds really similar to CoB's, which isn't bad considering they use/used modded JCM's, and i'm using passive pups.

Johnbryant
04-22-2009, 10:56 AM
It's okay, I didn't mean audio results. I don't have recording capabilities either LoL.
Just tell us what your impressions are and what your ears tell you.
Later,
Well I finaly got a chance to set down with my amp, "I have been crazy busy, and my amp is across town, and cannot be played but after 7:30PM, to not disturb the other buseness" took it home last night and set the Ultra channel to the exact setting of the Crunch channel, and really both are similar. The Ultra as a darker slightly scooped mids tone, not scooped, but more "relaxed" compared to the Crunch channel and is a little more gainy. I think I was trying to hard to make the two channels sound different. I ended up ajusting the ultra channel a little, added a little more bass and added more gain, so now it sounds more like a higher gain version of my other channel, slightly darker which I like, I keep the treble buried at around 8:30-9:00, I am not into the brightness of these amps, but its been tamed. Overall I am happy, but the real results will show up tonight when I can trun up the amp a little.

Edit: Also I think my guitar is to blame somewhat, its a MIA Tele with a Lil 59 in the bridge and a SH-55 "Seth lover" in the neck, even with the humbuckers the gutar is a bright one, not like ice picky, but its just not super beefy, but it does sounds pretty hardcore in the bridge, but I noticed last night the bridge PUP a bit grainy, I found tonal nirvana with the front picup volume rolled WAY down and the bridge full blast with the selector switch set to the middle, this really gave the fullness I was looking for a took away the sizzle of the bridge. IDK, I could not really turn it up, I never really noticed this before, could be a lack of volume. Anyway this left me really GAS'n for a Edwards LP, I wish my gear found was about 10 times what it is now. lol

Johnbryant
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
i think i fixed the problem with the Ultra channel somewhat. I went out to Guitar Center and low and behold, they had a XXX 212 combo out there. So i took it into the loud room and had a bunch of different OD's and the MXR 10-band EQ.

I ended up taking home the EQ because when you slightly boost the mids and bass frequencies, it thickens it up a bit. Now, it's not COMPLETELY fixed, lol, but it is a noticeable difference. The OD's were ok, i just hated not having a good range to EQ them by because each one, even when set as a clean boost, had too much or too little of something.

A new set of pups and i think i will have completely nailed it and hopefully will never have the problem again.

My tone now sounds really similar to CoB's, which isn't bad considering they use/used modded JCM's, and i'm using passive pups.
I still intend to try an EQ, Im glad you are enjoying your amp and new tubes. We need to add the 3120 to the title of the thread!!!!

KiraIBZ
04-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone, is the high register leads on the XXX (specifically 40 watt combo) piercing?

Johnbryant
04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
^ they can be if not dialed in properly, but these amps can be setup to have very fuild liquid leads with ton of sustain without the ice pick, when setup properly. Thats one thing these amp rock at, they are a shreders delight, and are also very nice for rythm, very well rounded amps. Keep in mind they are very bright amps but the amps do have a treble knob, they put this knob on thier to turn the treble down. lol

eyebanez333
04-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Just got this today dirt cheap off Craigslist. About a year old...been sitting for 2 months. Still has the tags on it! Just needed a power supply...and I added the blue status light jewel :cheers:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/justinsm/img283.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/justinsm/img284.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/justinsm/img286.jpg

bjovi400
04-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Just got this today dirt cheap off Craigslist. About a year old...been sitting for 2 months. Still has the tags on it! Just needed a power supply...and I added the blue status light jewel :cheers:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/justinsm/img283.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/justinsm/img284.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/justinsm/img286.jpg
DUDE!! WHERE DID YOU GET ONE OF THOSE JEWEL LENSES??????

I'm looking to change mine out for something different other than red

eyebanez333
04-24-2009, 11:00 PM
DUDE!! WHERE DID YOU GET ONE OF THOSE JEWEL LENSES??????

I'm looking to change mine out for something different other than red

Ebay...search for amp jewel. They're dirt cheap and just screw right in :cheers:

MBradley2011
04-24-2009, 11:22 PM
finally got to play a JSX the other day at a guitar center in Florida. I really enjoyed it. I played through both a Mexican Strat and a Gibby SG and all the channels sounded great. I just have one question, how does this amp hold up to pedals. I.E. a fuzz/overdrive for the clean channel, a Wah for leads, flange, etc.

moulpatr
04-24-2009, 11:40 PM
finally got to play a JSX the other day at a guitar center in Florida. I really enjoyed it. I played through both a Mexican Strat and a Gibby SG and all the channels sounded great. I just have one question, how does this amp hold up to pedals. I.E. a fuzz/overdrive for the clean channel, a Wah for leads, flange, etc.
The amp actually takes pedals very well so youd definitely be okay in that department :)

eyebanez333
04-24-2009, 11:40 PM

Sounds great on mine. I have a huge pedalboard. It doesn't take pedals as well as my Crate V18 does...but the distortion on the XXX is way better than the Crate.

MBradley2011
04-24-2009, 11:43 PM
thanks guys. one more question, for a little less money, am I better off looking to invest in the combo version, or should i just get the full stack? Will the combo perform worse than the stack?

moulpatr
04-24-2009, 11:50 PM
itll perform pretty much the exact same depending on the speakers in the cab compared to the jsx combo.
but other than that theyre pretty much the same amp.
Also depends on whether youre gigging or not. You may prefer carrying the amp separately (Head and 4x12 or 2x12), or lugging the combo around in one piece.

Its mostly just personal preference

MBradley2011
04-24-2009, 11:51 PM
ok cool. I appreciate all the help. I was surprised with how much I liked this amp. I even enjoyed the "fender" clean sounds i was able to get with the strat and clean channel.

bjovi400
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Ebay...search for amp jewel. They're dirt cheap and just screw right in :cheers:
Sweet! thanks

edit: i see most of them say they're for Fender, but i'm assuming it's still pretty much universal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-AMPLIFIER-PILOT-LAMP-JEWEL-FITS-FENDER-MESA-AMP_W0QQitemZ110352445174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110352445174&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

eyebanez333
04-26-2009, 12:05 AM
^yeah thats exactly what mine looked like...they just screw in

joecerillo
04-29-2009, 07:53 AM
So i had the head for about a week now, it is used. sunday it worked fine and i plugged it in today, and it sounds like theres a heart beat coming through the cab!!!! what is wrong with this thing? i switch the cables and its not that or the guitar...

heres a video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPo8W4snFgE

The tubes are burning + smell bad

Johnbryant
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Bad Smell=Bad Problem, I would not turn your amp on until a tech can look it over, a tumping sound doesn't sound like a tube problem, more like a internal problem, probably blew a cap and fried some resistors, any thing could have casued this, overheating, tube failure, or just a defective componet, or loose soder joint. Its had to say, just take it in.

bjovi400
04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
new jewel came earlier this morning, i'm likein it lol. pics should be up within a day or two.

Bad Smell=Bad Problem, I would not turn your amp on until a tech can look it over, a tumping sound doesn't sound like a tube problem, more like a internal problem, probably blew a cap and fried some resistors, any thing could have casued this, overheating, tube failure, or just a defective componet, or loose soder joint. Its had to say, just take it in.
pretty much, this ^

When i first retubed mine, the tubes gave off a weird smell, but that went away. It sounds like it could be major, so get it checked out

311ZOSOVHJH
04-30-2009, 01:15 AM
^ I think that was skin oil no?

joec has like melting parts smell. Not good.

In the future...never ever leave a tube amp on that long if it looks, smells, sounds, feels, THAT HOT!

*in bold caps*

Edit: also holds true for toasters, car engines, comptures and girls. Srsly

Johnbryant
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
^ I thought that was common sence with any electronic componet, if it smell like a mixture of burning plastic and butt hole, trun the mother off because somthing is not right. I got to watch the whole youtube video last night, his amp is burning up right before all our eyes, at frist its only one socket, then two, if he kept the video rolling all the tubes would have been red plating in only a few more minutes. I laughed a little when he said: "this f*cker is hot, it would burn the sh*t out of me if I touched it" I thought to my self holy crap YES, the cathoide is emiting so many eclectrons that grid is looks like its on fire, oh yeah, I'm sure its hot as hell. lol, although its not really funny.

bjovi400
04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
by the video, is he using matched powertubes? the two in the center are labeled and the outer two aren't...? lol

Johnbryant
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
^ They are not matched, that could have been the start of the problem, but now I think he's got bigger fish to fry.

eyebanez333
04-30-2009, 11:46 AM
If you read in his other thread...he said that he changed the tubes around and they did the same thing in the other sockets...however, the tubes that he moved into the far right sockets didn't red plate. Could it just be those two power tubes then? Since the two tubes that he moved into the sockets in question worked fine? I feel bad for this guy...hopefully he didn't blow this thing.

Van Noord
04-30-2009, 12:29 PM
I hope he knows for certain that the tubes are a matched quad. If they aren't and are matched pairs, he shouldn't be moving them around in different sockets.
For matched pairs, each pair must be in either the two inner or outter sockets only.

311ZOSOVHJH
04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Van and bjovi400, here is the thread and he has some new info from seller that doesn't really help imo.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1115746

(at least the seller is responding to him)

bjovi400
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Van and bjovi400, here is the thread and he has some new info from seller that doesn't really help imo.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1115746

(at least the seller is responding to him)
Call me BJ (ironically enough they are my initials lol), is there any news with his problem? has he updated us on it?

I'm waitin for another video of his 'process' lol

311ZOSOVHJH
04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Not outside of what's in his thread. I'm not 100% confident in the sellers comments if you want to read that.

Thanks BJ,

bjovi400
04-30-2009, 07:35 PM
by the looks of his latest video, i think he fixed it. Although he waited 5 seconds after letting them warm up, which for new tubes, not the best idea. AT LEAST 10 seconds, and personally i would wait a few minutes if they are brand new tubes.

311ZOSOVHJH
04-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I probably would have waited a whole noob 5 minutes :haha

If he pulls this off I'll be like :down: and then :dance:

bjovi400
05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_d469c9c596ea4c138ac97710591f15cd.jpg

RANDOMH3RO
05-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I might be getting my XXX head re-tubed in the near future, and is it worth it just to have the 6L6's switched for El34's? I hear they are alot better, but is it worth a re tubing now? Or just wait until my current ones are done and then get it switched?

bjovi400
05-05-2009, 10:38 PM
i have only run KT77's and EL34's in mine, but i like them. not that i can compare them to 6L6's lol

apparently 6L6's give XXX's more of that Recto-y chug, lol.

DiSTuRBeD -26-
05-11-2009, 07:05 PM
WTB clips of xxx

thedekker
05-23-2009, 09:42 PM
just because i havnt put it in this thread yet

heres the rig

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv41/thedekker/IMG00370.jpg

bjovi400
05-29-2009, 12:01 AM
what tubes do you have in it? ^

Mathisto1977
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Anyone have any dramas with random static cracking/snapping sounds coming from JSX when not playing? Getting pretty worried and not sure what may be causing it...sounds terrible at high volumes...any ideas guys?

Johnbryant
06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
SInce it sounds bad at High volume I would say you have a power tube issue.

bjovi400
06-28-2009, 09:54 PM
I have this church gathering with a whole crap load of people in a month and i'm lead guitar, so we'll see how mine sounds mic'd. :)

2112swartz
07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I've got a problem. I have a Peavey Triple X 120 watt head, and it randomly stopped working. It turns on, the tubes light up, but there's no sound whenever i take it off of standby. I've checked the speaker cable, the guitar, and the guitar cable, but i cant seem to figure out what the problem is.

It was working fine, but i accidentally turned it off without putting it on standby first, then i turned it back on real quick without putting it on standby again. That's the only thing i can think of that might have messed anything up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i have a show this Wednesday and i really need to get this figured out.

The tubes are only 6 months old, by the way.

gpderek09
07-23-2009, 03:02 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2400/123/37/648238931/n648238931_1581861_4015311.jpg

had it for about 4 years i think.
love it as long as i'm running my mxr ten band in the loop.

ignore the fringes of the photo.

Johnbryant
07-23-2009, 04:41 PM
^Sorry but your photo sucks, lol :haha

gpderek09
07-23-2009, 07:00 PM
^Sorry but your photo sucks, lol :haha
i know.

:shrug:

thedekker
08-04-2009, 05:08 PM
check if your local guitar store has "fender" amp jewels.

i just plugged a light blue one into mine, just unscrews. man she's hot

Johnbryant
08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Well I have been running JJ KT-77 in my Triple X 212 combo for a couple weeks now, and have gotten to jam a couple times and play out once. I also ordered a Bias probe from Eurotubes, and set the bias around 76% dispensation. Overall I am really digging the way these turned out, they seem more like a 6l6 tube than a EL34 though, the bottom end is HUGE, and I using an simi-open back combo I can now feel my pant leg move when I plam mute, they do have the EL34 midrange jangle going though, it really comes through when you push the power section. The clean channel was a huge improvment, over the JJ EL34's I was using before, this could in part due to the bias now being set properly, but regardless these tubes made the cleans very open and fuller sounding, still no Fender, but very useable clean channel that is Equally as good if not better than most high gained amps. Also did a speaker swap on my combo before changing the tubes, I pulled two of the Celestion G12k-85 (same as G12K-100) from my 412 cab, overall this made the amp louder, more bassy and more balanced in the uper midrange, I set the Triple X speakers in an X pattern with the Celestion in the 412 cab and I really dig the way it turned out, overall I improved both the combo and the Cab with the speaker swap. Triple X+JJ KT-77=WIN

metalcorefan
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey guys, I was looking at the back of my 3120 (XXX) and I saw the bias pot I was just wondering if the fizz I hear is from that, its at about 10:00-11:00 I don't know alot about biasing or bias pots/tubes so would this be the problem I'm having?

Thanks for your input

Johnbryant
08-10-2009, 02:31 PM
^Don't mess with the bias trim pot unless you have a bias probe. In EL34 mode there is plenty of current there to fry your tubes, 6l6 mode on the other hand is rather cold. To get rid of the fizz, crank up the master volume to 7+ and turn the amps volume up, these are not bedroom amps and need to be turned up a bit. It's simple these amps as well as most high gain tube amps have to driven some to get out of fizzy land, also try keeping your gain at 6 or below, even with the gain set this low it has more than enough for anyone.

whoswt
08-30-2009, 08:17 PM
guys quick question about the triple x 60 watt 112 combo. is the FX loop the only thing thats footswitchable or are the channels switchable too. sry for the nubness lol , i dont have a footswitch to test it out but im about to order one but it would suck if it only works for the head and 2x12

ZeroCS
08-30-2009, 09:34 PM
guys quick question about the triple x 60 watt 112 combo. is the FX loop the only thing thats footswitchable or are the channels switchable too. sry for the nubness lol , i dont have a footswitch to test it out but im about to order one but it would suck if it only works for the head and 2x12
As far as I'm concerned the footswitch has it's own input slot, and it only switches between channels on the amp, and toggles reverb on/off.

Not sure if the TS is still around but for a simple scooped tone for the XXX (The head and matching cab, to be absolutely specific):
Crunch Channel
Bass: 1' o clock (6)
Gain: Dimed (10)
Mid: 8 o 'clock (2)
Treble: 4 o 'clock (9)
You should add a touch of reverb, optional.

mmjohn
08-31-2009, 10:20 AM
I just joined the Peavey team with a XXX 112 combo and I love it. I sold my Alchemist the XXX covers everything i play.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/mmjohn/100_0980-1.jpg

Johnbryant
08-31-2009, 10:55 AM
The foot switch is 3 button, the first one is for switching between the two OD channels, the second is for switching to the clean channel, the the thrid truns the FX loop on and off, this is a very handy feature, by setting the send and return levels properly you can also use this as a volume boost for solos.

Johnbryant
08-31-2009, 10:57 AM
I just joined the Peavey team with a XXX 112 combo and I love it. I sold my Alchemist the XXX covers everything i play.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/mmjohn/100_0980-1.jpg

Cool dude, how are the channels laid out on the super 40? I see that the clean channel shares an Eq with one of the OD channels, I never actually seen one of these amps in person.

mmjohn
08-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Cool dude, how are the channels laid out on the super 40? I see that the clean channel shares an Eq with one of the OD channels, I never actually seen one of these amps in person.
The clean and crunch share the same EQ.

Johnbryant
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
^ I would not like that. Can they take EL34's as well as 6l6's?

mmjohn
08-31-2009, 11:33 AM
^ I would not like that. Can they take EL34's as well as 6l6's?
Yep...........i use a OCD for my crunch so it's not an issue.

yoyodunno
08-31-2009, 06:59 PM
I finally took my triple xxx to the local shop to try and get it fixed lol.

Van Noord
08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, I was looking at the back of my 3120 (XXX) and I saw the bias pot I was just wondering if the fizz I hear is from that, its at about 10:00-11:00 I don't know alot about biasing or bias pots/tubes so would this be the problem I'm having?

Thanks for your inputThe bias trim pot is very safe to turn. Peavey only allowed for a minimal sweep so the player can make minor adjustments to how hot or cold your poweramp runs. Counterclockwise = hotter. Clockwise = colder.
I run mine on the cold side, because I only play my JSX loud and when it's set too hot the tone can get too saturated and muddy for high gain playing.

As for your fizz, try a JJ ECC83S in the V1 and V2 preamp positions. That will tame the highend sizzle and make your gain more articulate.

Johnbryant
09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
^That is true in 6l6 mode, the bias rate is rather cold, and really cannot be set to high for 90% of 6l6's. In EL34 mode that is not the case, I recently bought a bias probe and found that there is more than enough voltage to get nearly any EL34 over 100% dispensation, The tubes I teseted where matched at 35mAh, which is right in the middle neither real hot or cold, and found it can easily get these tubes hot enough for 100% dispensation and still could be truned up some more. I set the bias rate at around 39 volts, which is around 78% dispensation, and the bias pot is set around 10:00, at around the 9:00 the voltage was around 52 volts, which is 100% dispensation, no tube will last running like this, not mention it very hard on the amp. In EL34 mode these amps need to be biased ethier by a tech or the owner needs to get a bias probe and learn to bias the amp properly.

Van Noord
09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info John,
I've run EL34's for nearly 5 years in my JSX with no issues and have experimented with the bias trim pot dial frequently in that time. Granted, setting the dial to the "hottest" position and leaving it there while playing the amp full tilt isn't advisable. But I would trust the player would hear the adverse affect that setting would have on their tone. Often, noise increases from the poweramp and the amps tone becomes oversaturated, muffled and somewhat reckless. A player with a sharp ear could identify that quickly. I have my dial set to approx. 10:00 and find the resulting tone very satisfying.
On another note, I'm on my second quad of poweramp tubes with my JSX and have never biased the amp. I adjust the trim pot to taste based on the tubes and what my ears tell me and the results have always been top notch. My amp is a regular Marshall and Boogie eater that demolishes amps with its better tone, gain and articulation.
I say adust the trim pot in small incriments to help tailor the amps tone and performance. By all means, use a bias probe or multimeter for peace of mind. But I have seen "proper" and "safe" bias settings/readings for amps that didn't sound good at all.

Johnbryant
09-02-2009, 01:59 PM
^ Very good, just throwing out there what I discovered with my new toy, as far as the amps tone not being right when the bias is not adjusted proplerly you are dead on. Take the 5150/6505's for example the bias current is set so cold that it doesn't even get the power tubes out of crossover distortion, this is the very reason why the cleans sound so bad on these amps, now do a simple bias mod, an the cleans are much warmer and sound 100X better than before. Now the hotter the bias is set the less head room the tubes have and the more tone and harmonics they will produce, but get that set to high, and your cleans will be farting out way before they should, and the amp will produce and "out of control" feel.

sinky1958
09-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Here's a photo of my jsx

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/dsinky/IMG_3662.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/dsinky/IMG_3657.jpg

Confusticator
09-21-2009, 09:45 AM
I just picked up a 60W XXX combo on Craigslist this weekend for $275 & couldn't be happier. The tubes were just changed out this year & the amp is in great condition. Once I got it home & plugged it in, I was blown away by the tone this thing has. I play a lot of Pantera, Metallica, etc. & this is a huge step up from the Spider III I have been using. I can't see me getting rid of this thing for quite a while.

Johnbryant
09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
^^Cool amp bro, the red looks great!!

^Cool dude, you got steal on that thing for $275, I would buy them all day long for that kind of money, if/when you decide to sell/upgrade expect to nearly double your money. Glad you are likeing it, thats a huge step up coming from a spider.

IbanezPsycho
09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Well looks like im back in the club lol. Went from a Ultra plus to a 6505 + and back to the Ultra Series with a Triple. :D

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/5/4/1/6/541666/pics/_c698075_image_0.JPG

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/5/4/1/6/541666/pics/_c698074_image_0.JPG

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/5/4/1/6/541666/pics/_c698076_image_0.JPG

TheCalvinator
09-21-2009, 08:21 PM
That JSX looks sick, and is also my favorite amp from the peavey line.

PEAVEY RULES!

aradine
09-24-2009, 01:38 AM
well, i have just joined the tube and the peavey fraternity all at once by buying my first tube amp, a Peavey JSX 212 combo.

however, i won't get it until next saturday as i am currently on holidays :(

but pic's shall be provided once i own this sucker.

thedekker
09-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Nice dude, Diggin the red lights

how did you do it?

how much did it cost? i wanna get some lights in mine

well, i have just joined the tube and the peavey fraternity all at once by buying my first tube amp, a Peavey JSX 212 combo.

however, i won't get it until next saturday as i am currently on holidays :(

but pic's shall be provided once i own this sucker.

Congrats!! welcome to the league of uncompromising tone!! wish the head had a reverb!

mexican_shred
09-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Turn you 2x12 combo into a jsx head :P welcome to the club. I've been a jsx since the start

Johnbryant
09-24-2009, 11:14 AM
^ Im going to that with my Triple X, Im tired of mechancial tube noise, and want the tight tone of a closed back cab.
**Pics to come!!

DTay47
09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm looking to buy a JSX head, and I was wondering what cab would be best for it? I'm not looking for a vintage tone at all, definately modern. So I was guessing the JSX cab, some mesa, or even a carvin?
And is $900 (CDN) a good deal for a JSX head?
Thanks.

Johnbryant
09-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Any cab loaded with Vintage 30's, or thier clones, Emenince Texas Heats, and Swamp Things work great as well. If your looking for a 412 cab and are not on a tight budget Mesa and Orange cabs rock, if your strapped a little then Marshall 1960V, Avatar, and the JSX or Triple X cabs from Peavey.

Van Noord
09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm looking to buy a JSX head, and I was wondering what cab would be best for it? I'm not looking for a vintage tone at all, definately modern. So I was guessing the JSX cab, some mesa, or even a carvin?
And is $900 (CDN) a good deal for a JSX head?
Thanks.I think that's a good price.
I would skip the JSX cab, I didn't like it at all with the amp. Look into Mesa, Randall, H&K, Framus, Engl, Marshall.

DTay47
09-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I think that's a good price.
I would skip the JSX cab, I didn't like it at all with the amp. Look into Mesa, Randall, H&K, Framus, Engl, Marshall.
Should I still really look into a H&K and a marshall, if I don't want vintage tones at all? I want a really modern tone (hence the JSX hah). And a random question... would V30's sound good with the JSX? And what speakers do the JSX cab have.... it doesn't exactly say, just "custom JSX speakers" or something like that. I've heard good things about a rectifier cab with a JSX though, they have V30's, correct?

Johnbryant
09-24-2009, 12:45 PM
JSX and Triple X speakers are both Custom Peavey speakers, the Triple X speakers sound similar to a V30, just not as good, they do very mix well with other Celestion speakers I have found and can sound killer. The JSX speakers are pretty different they have more of a scooped tone, I didn't care for them, I perfer lots of mids in my speakers, or a least to apear to be ballanced. As far as Marshall cabs are concered they are decent, but if you are wanting a more modren tone then you want the 1960V cab, they are loaded with V30's. IMO V30's are a WIN with these amps, other speakers can rock too, but V30's are an instant hit with the JSX and XXX, even more so with an oversived cab like a Mesa 412 or an Orange 212.

Van Noord
09-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Should I still really look into a H&K and a marshall, if I don't want vintage tones at all? I want a really modern tone (hence the JSX hah). And a random question... would V30's sound good with the JSX? And what speakers do the JSX cab have.... it doesn't exactly say, just "custom JSX speakers" or something like that. I've heard good things about a rectifier cab with a JSX though, they have V30's, correct?Sure, H&K cabs typically come stock with V30's, and Marshall 1960 cab have either T75's or V30's. Both are modern sounding.
I use a V30 loaded Mesa cab with my JSX and they work great together. Very modern sounding. I played a JSX with a JSX cab the other week and the tone was no where near what I have with mine.

DTay47
09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
JSX and Triple X speakers are both Custom Peavey speakers, the Triple X speakers sound similar to a V30, just not as good, they do very mix well with other Celestion speakers I have found and can sound killer. The JSX speakers are pretty different they have more of a scooped tone, I didn't care for them, I perfer lots of mids in my speakers, or a least to apear to be ballanced. As far as Marshall cabs are concered they are decent, but if you are wanting a more modren tone then you want the 1960V cab, they are loaded with V30's. IMO V30's are a WIN with these amps, other speakers can rock too, but V30's are an instant hit with the JSX and XXX, even more so with an oversived cab like a Mesa 412 or an Orange 212.
So now the question is.... what cab haha. There are only tons of 4x12's that have V30's. And since I am new to this whole cabinet/head deal.... what difference does the actual cab make (aka other than speakers). For example, what makes a difference is a mesa 4x12 with V30's as opposed to a randall 4x12 with V30's?
And are marshall's actually good for modern sounding stuff, or are they just OK?
At least all of the cabinets are around the same price hah. Many to look into.... Mesa's, Orange's, Randall's, Engl's... lot of trying out to do!

eyebanez333
09-24-2009, 01:03 PM
^I also use a Mesa cab with V30s for my XXX...sounds great.

Johnbryant
09-24-2009, 01:19 PM
So now the question is.... what cab haha. There are only tons of 4x12's that have V30's. And since I am new to this whole cabinet/head deal.... what difference does the actual cab make (aka other than speakers). For example, what makes a difference is a mesa 4x12 with V30's as opposed to a randall 4x12 with V30's?
And are marshall's actually good for modern sounding stuff, or are they just OK?
At least all of the cabinets are around the same price hah. Many to look into.... Mesa's, Orange's, Randall's, Engl's... lot of trying out to do!
Cab's make a pretty big difference, but IMO the speakers are the most important. If your wanting a thick bassy tone for down tuning then an oversized cab is your best optition. IMO Mesa and Orange are awesome great build quality and have a huge tone. I have not tried to many Randalls or Engls for that matter so cannot say on those. Marshall cabs can sound pretty thick, not as thick as the Mesa or Orange but can hold thier own, and are a cheaper option. My old Peavey cab is built to Marshall dementions and it sounds beastly, speakers are G12K-85's in an X patern with Triple X speakers, it holds its own with the best of them, and for what I got in it I cannot complain, thats for damn sure!!

DTay47
09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Cab's make a pretty big difference, but IMO the speakers are the most important. If your wanting a thick bassy tone for down tuning then an oversized cab is your best optition. IMO Mesa and Orange are awesome great build quality and have a huge tone. I have not tried to many Randalls or Engls for that matter so cannot say on those. Marshall cabs can sound pretty thick, not as thick as the Mesa or Orange but can hold thier own, and are a cheaper option. My old Peavey cab is built to Marshall dementions and it sounds beastly, speakers are G12K-85's in an X patern with Triple X speakers, it holds its own with the best of them, and for what I got in it I cannot complain, thats for damn sure!!
Well I won't but using any drop tunings (I don't play metal hah, I play mostly satch-like stuff) so I'm guessing it's not worth it to get the oversized mesa? But the regular 4x12 mesa would still be worth it?
And is it worth it to shell out the extra money for the mesa/orange compared to just getting a cheaper marshall or equivalent with V30's?

Mathamology
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
A bit of a random addition here, but does anyone else think that Peavey combos are pretty awful looking, whereas Peavey heads are fecking gorgeous?

Johnbryant
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Well I won't but using any drop tunings (I don't play metal hah, I play mostly satch-like stuff) so I'm guessing it's not worth it to get the oversized mesa? But the regular 4x12 mesa would still be worth it?
And is it worth it to shell out the extra money for the mesa/orange compared to just getting a cheaper marshall or equivalent with V30's?
Oversides isn't just for the droped tuners, it works well for everything else too, you just end up with a chunkier thicker overal tone, try out a couple and see what you think. As far as spending the extra money, thats really up to you and how much that different in tone is worth to you. For me it was not, I found a nice built cab with decent speakers that I liked and moved stuff around a little bit and ended up with somthing very awesome concidering I only have little over $200 in the entire cab and the thing rocks, so for me I cannot justify the price difference. Really you just need to try some cabs out and listen to clips, like I said before a standard Marshall or Mesa 412 can sound awesome with the right amp, so really its up to your preference and your budget.

Johnbryant
09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
A bit of a random addition here, but does anyone else think that Peavey combos are pretty awful looking, whereas Peavey heads are fecking gorgeous?
Which combos?
The Vypers are ugly, thats for sure. The Classic looked better without the wierd wavy oval, as would the Triple X combo and the new 3120 heads for that matter, other than that I think they look pretty decent. I think most of the Peavey heads look pretty plain, like 98% of all amps.

IbanezPsycho
09-24-2009, 01:50 PM
You just have to get out there and test out some different cabs.. I thought the end all cab for me was my Krank cab. But after playing one chord through my Framus cab I almost passed out because of how good the tone was. You just have to mix and match till you find the right one.

Usually for metal and modern tones. I prefer Vintage 30's and cab wise Mesa, Avatar, Vader, Krank, Orange, Mills and Framus are all great for that.

Johnbryant
09-24-2009, 02:12 PM
^ IP What speakers are loaded in your Framus??

Van Noord
09-24-2009, 02:27 PM
^ IP What speakers are loaded in your Framus??I believe they are 60 watt V30's John.

yoyodunno
09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
i finally got my triple xxx back from the shop yaya

Confusticator
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I just picked up a 60w XXX combo last weekend & love it, BUT was playing it a little louder than usual last night & noticed a rattle/buzzing sound after hitting palm mutes. Anybody have any idea what that might be? If I turn the bass down, it's not as noticable, but still....

Johnbryant
09-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Tube noise, its a combo that why you have noise, it sucks but all tubes are prone to get noisey in combo amp. Could be a preamp tube going out as well, they can get very micophonic when they are going out..

mexican_shred
09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
^ Im going to that with my Triple X, Im tired of mechancial tube noise, and want the tight tone of a closed back cab.
**Pics to come!!
Yea i did this 2 months ago. Took the chasis out and make a head casing and turned teh combo into a 2x12 cab. So now i have three 2x12's and 1 x12 :haha:

dude asking about cabs- vader. Bass will not go flabby and it very tight sounding. i prefer it to any mesa cab i've coupled with my jsx or even marshall

aradine
09-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Turn you 2x12 combo into a jsx head :P welcome to the club. I've been a jsx since the start

i dunno, i don't really need a head and cab, although i may grab a 2x12 cab down the track later and just run the combo into that.

one thing i have noticed about the JSX combo compared to the head is that the control layout is backwards on the combo, as in the clean 'module' is on the left whereas on the head it is on the right. :shrug:

mexican_shred
09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
as long as you arent moving it much the combo is fine. But for me lugging a 98lb combo up and down stairs was a pain.

aradine
09-24-2009, 09:19 PM
i'm gonna be chucking some castors on the bottom of it so it is easier to move, but yeah, i know what you mean. However i was thinking of the 2x12 cab so i can do a speaker swap without having to get into the back of the combo.

mexican_shred
09-24-2009, 09:22 PM
What do you mean by that last sentence

castors help, except for stairs lol. But then again my heads are heavy as hell too. its easier to lug the cabs than the heads...

aradine
09-24-2009, 09:30 PM
i mean that down the track if i decide that i wanna swap out the speakers, instead of taking out the current ones and putting in new ones i can just connect the cab, because,as i believe it, running a cab from a peavey combo turns off the speakers in the combo and just runs the cab speakers.

i may be wrong however.

mexican_shred
09-24-2009, 09:31 PM
it doent from my exp. but you can easily take out the input of the speakers to the combo

aradine
09-24-2009, 09:35 PM
ok, i read a while back about peavey combo's 'turning off' the built in speakers and just running the cab speakers. seems i was misinformed.

mexican_shred
09-24-2009, 09:37 PM
dont take my word for it , its been a couple of months since i've played mine much more since i've played the combo with an extension cab.

you can always unplug the stock speakers though

aradine
09-24-2009, 09:42 PM
true. Ok, well when i have the oppurtunity next, i will experiment and post my results back :)

IbanezPsycho
09-24-2009, 11:38 PM
^ IP What speakers are loaded in your Framus??

Vintage 30's

yoyodunno
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey IbanezPsycho do you run the Windsor in stereo with the triple xxx? I bet that would sound slammin, I run my triple xxx in stereo with my Palomino at low volumes and it gives it a really filled out slightly smoother high gain tone.

DTay47
09-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Found a JSX head for $700 (CDN), I'm guessing this is a major steal?
Thats probably around $550 USD, or something.

beadhangingOne
09-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Might have to replace my tubes pretty soon, does anyone know what tubes complement the XXX well?

Johnbryant
09-27-2009, 10:21 PM
EL34's suit these amps well, but keep in mind Bass response will not be as good as 6l6's though. JJ KT-77, I found are the best of both worlds, mid-range detail of the El34, with a much fuller low-end, although its still not as deep as the 6l6.

DTay47
09-29-2009, 10:35 AM
So I'm getting a JSX head today, along with a marshall cab (that I will probably end up selling) but I was wondering... this is an awful question... but since this is my first half stack (head and cabinet), how exactly do I set it up? Speaker cable to the cabinet yes, but just match the ohms? aka cab at 16 ohms, head at 16 ohms? and is that all then?

Johnbryant
09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Setup is simple with only one head and one cab, the JSX has a switch on the back that goes from 16, 8, 4 ohm, match the head with the cabs impedance and your all set. Do make sure you use a speaker cable and not an instrament cable from the head to the cab.

DTay47
09-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Setup is simple with only one head and one cab, the JSX has a switch on the back that goes from 16, 8, 4 ohm, match the head with the cabs impedance and your all set. Do make sure you use a speaker cable and not an instrament cable from the head to the cab.
Sweet, thats what I thought. The cab will have a switch too (depending on the cab I'm assuming) or it'll just be on it correct? And yeah, I figured I had to use a speaker cable, does how "good" a speaker cable is really matter (such as with guitar cables) or will just anyone do the job well?
Thanks man.

Johnbryant
09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
^ Some modern Marshall cabs can run Stereo and have switchs that will change the number of speakers, but its pretty simple, if your cab is a stereo cab, you will set it to mono, it will say what the impedance is in mono mode, most likly 8 or 16 ohm, just set it and forget it. IMO you get what you pay for, if you get a cheap cable it my work and sound okay but in the long run some have tendance to fail, or are made of cheap materials that wear out and don't last. Spend 15-25 dollars on your cable and it will last you many years, if not a lifetime if properly taken care of.

fnichols1
09-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Hello All, my first post here. I'm having a trouble choosing an overdrive for my Peavey XXX 40efx. The amp certainly has enough distortion but it is just too muddy, especially in the ultra channel. I am going to buy a 6 band eq and a overdrive pedal to help tighten it up. I like to play clean as well so true bypass is a big selling point for me.

Therefore, I have narrowed it down to:
1.) MXR GT-OD
2.) Maxon OD9
3.) Fulltone OCD

Some of my favorite guitar tones come from Lamb of God, Gojira, and Children of Bodom just to give you an idea what I am looking for. I don't want a lead boost, I want a tight heavy rhythm crunch that I can chug away at. I will be turning the gain on the pedal all the way down in the typical metal boosting fashion.

DTay47
09-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing since you are playing metal, you do NOT want a mid range boost? So I don't think the Maxon will work, and same with the OCD... but not too sure about the OCD. No idea about the MXR.
A nice transparent OD will serve you well... and really, the Boss SD-1 works well, when keeley modded. You can pick them up for pretty cheap used actually.

fnichols1
09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Actually, I fully appreciate the mid range and can't stand those dimebag kids who put the mids at zero. I like the rocking crunchy bluesy metal sound that Mark Morton gets from lamb of god. I think his sound can be attributed to the Mesa Mark IV, but I'd like to get a sound like that on my peavey xxx. Some vids on youtube show pretty good demonstrations for using od pedals on high gain amps, I'm just hoping there is someone on this forum who has the peavey xxx and can recommend a good od from experience. I'd would like to try a boss sd-1 which I can get for next to nothing but it will hurt my clean tone.

Johnbryant
09-29-2009, 02:33 PM
I use a Jekly and Hyde, which is a TS808 clone with a bass boost, works pretty well, but I don't think the amp need a boost. Your super 40 sharing EQ's is probably your biggest issue. IMO the Ultra channel is not near as good as the crunch, it can do a good lead tone but is rthym is pretty bland in comparison to the other channel. Try using the crunch channel to get your high gain tone, trust me it has more than enough gain, even below 1:00 for any one, use the Ultra for leads. I actually found some pretty decent lower gain tones on the ultra channel that work pretty well, so the posiblities for these amps are just endless.

DTay47
09-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, the SD-1 is extremely cheap, but I'm not sure how much it will actually affect your clean tone, I've never actually checked. Try it out yourself, it may actually not be audible at all. With my boss pedal (DD7) it doesn't affect my tone at all... at least that I can notice. But then again, the keeley modded SD-1 is true bypass.
And I guess if you don't mind a mid range boost, then yeah, go for the OCD and maxon, just try them out and see what works best for you.

mmjohn
09-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I've used a OCD and a Keeley SD-1 On my XXX super 40........But the amp's ultra channel has more than enuff gain. I just use a MXR 10 band to Smooth thigs out and a compressor as a lead boost.

Johnbryant
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
^ Did I see your amp on CL this morning.

fnichols1
09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll start with an EQ before I start shopping for an OD. I was pretty much set on getting an MXR 6-band unless anyone would advise otherwise.

IbanezPsycho
09-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey IbanezPsycho do you run the Windsor in stereo with the triple xxx? I bet that would sound slammin, I run my triple xxx in stereo with my Palomino at low volumes and it gives it a really filled out slightly smoother high gain tone.

Haven't had time to mess with it lately so not yet unfortunately :(

fnichols1
09-30-2009, 05:50 PM
While I'm asking questions, here's another issue. When I switch to the Ultra Channel there is a popping sound. It doesn't matter what settings or effects are on, it always pops like the reverb is picking up my pedal switch noise or something (still pops if reverb is all the way down). Only from crunch/clean to ultra, not the other way around. Any ideas what this could be? I hope it is an easy fix.

My only guess as to what could be causing it is that when the amp arrived I didn't realize the speaker was disconnected and I turned it on. When I realized that the speaker was disconnected I turned it off hoping that I didn't destroy the amp. I have no idea if this was a pre-existing problem I inherited or something I caused by turning it on without a speaker.

mmjohn
10-01-2009, 01:34 AM
^ Did I see your amp on CL this morning.
YEAH.........It's been replaced But I still love it and if it doesn't sell i won't be broken hearted.

Johnbryant
10-01-2009, 09:56 AM
While I'm asking questions, here's another issue. When I switch to the Ultra Channel there is a popping sound. It doesn't matter what settings or effects are on, it always pops like the reverb is picking up my pedal switch noise or something (still pops if reverb is all the way down). Only from crunch/clean to ultra, not the other way around. Any ideas what this could be? I hope it is an easy fix.

My only guess as to what could be causing it is that when the amp arrived I didn't realize the speaker was disconnected and I turned it on. When I realized that the speaker was disconnected I turned it off hoping that I didn't destroy the amp. I have no idea if this was a pre-existing problem I inherited or something I caused by turning it on without a speaker.
Sounds like you caught the speaker issue just in time, if the amps power amp is working properly then it will be all right. Your poping issue sounds like a preamp issuse, try swaping around the preamp tubes and see if that helps. If your clean channel is acting normal then you know V1 is a good tube, and the issue lies in V2-V4, swap V1 with the other posistions and see if that fixes the problem, if it does, what ever position fixes the problem is where the bad tube is, just replace with a new 12AX7. If not then your amp may need to be looked over by a tech.

fnichols1
10-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the preamp tubes

DTay47
10-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Here's a photo of my jsx

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/dsinky/IMG_3662.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/dsinky/IMG_3657.jpg
Does anyone know how to do this? The red LED looks sweet, I want to do it! Hah.
However... that guy has not been online since May lmfao.
So... any ideas?

DIMEBAGLIVEDON
10-04-2009, 04:40 PM
I think the 3120 should be added to this, no?

Van Noord
10-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Dtay47, that guy has posted those pics on numerous guitar and amp forum on the net. Then dissappears.
He bought a strip of LEDS online then attached them to the inside of his JSX. They are powered by an adapter.

DTay47
10-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Dtay47, that guy has posted those pics on numerous guitar and amp forum on the net. Then dissappears.
He bought a strip of LEDS online then attached them to the inside of his JSX. They are powered by an adapter.
So essentially, the LEDS have nothing to do with the JSX (not attached electronically etc) but are just stuck inside, with a seperate adapter? Sounds easy haha... but an entire seperate power adapter? Running inside the amp? Wouldn't that cause more noise?
Cause if its as easy as that, hell yeah Ill do it.
Thanks buddy!

sinky1958
10-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Only just got back off my holidays,as you say I did show how I did it on another forum site.these are the 12v leds I used

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/dsinky/351-355-all_001.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/dsinky/353-1.jpg

Connected them to 12V PSU So when you dont want to use them just un plug them.
the leds are hot glued in placed at the front of the amp,easy
thanks

sinky1958
10-04-2009, 05:31 PM
So essentially, the LEDS have nothing to do with the JSX (not attached electronically etc) but are just stuck inside, with a seperate adapter? Sounds easy haha... but an entire seperate power adapter? Running inside the amp? Wouldn't that cause more noise?
Cause if its as easy as that, hell yeah Ill do it.
Thanks buddy!
NO ITS NOT INSIDE THE AMP BUT 12v PSU LIKE YOU WOULD USE TO POWER A EFFECTS PEDAL

DTay47
10-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I know the adapter is not inside the amp haha... you clearly have to plug it in. But another power cable running inside the amp is what I meant... no extra noise from that?
And where would I pick up one of these strips, Radio Shack type of store, or only online?

311ZOSOVHJH
10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
DTay - here were the kind I got:

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/July%202009/7.jpg

Then I bought a AC adapter that has the multiple connectors for it and variable volts selector. Do you know what I'm talking about. They came with little clippy things to that I could mount up inside the head shell, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it looks cool as is.

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/July%202009/104_0124.jpg

mmjohn
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
^^^^^That makes me wanna :rasta: The Splawn looks Sweet!!!

mmjohn
10-06-2009, 10:07 AM
The Guy that bought My XXX is using it Live tonite for the first time and called to invite me to their show. They play "Blue Grass" and i'm really not a fan of that kinda music at all. BUT the thing that really has me wanting to go.........The guy that bought the amp plays guitar and thats why i thought he bought the amp. Nope he using for his pedal Steel guitar and I might have to go give it a listen.......Maybe some High Gain Pedal steel pinch harmonic's :haha:

311ZOSOVHJH
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
^I would def try to make that show. Sounds really interesting. See if you can record or take a pic or something and share when you get back.

....oh, and thanks! :cheers:

eyebanez333
10-06-2009, 10:23 AM
The steel guitar through the XXX would be nothing short of incredible if you ask me :haha

mmjohn
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
The steel guitar through the XXX would be nothing short of incredible if you ask me :haha
I'm gonna try to make it.......I'm super interested to hear the XXX!!!

aradine
10-07-2009, 02:37 AM

i second this notion, i demand pics or clips of this. my curiousity has been piqued.

Necrophagist777
10-10-2009, 11:38 AM
HAI GUYZ!!

I've had my XXX for a few months now and never noticed this thread, cool to see it here. Just wanted to say whats up!

Here's my XXX:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/bladz760/0710092232a.jpg

XXX Head with JJ Tubes and Python Tolex
Avatar 2x12 with Eminence Governor and Swamp Thang

I need to break out something other than my phone and take pics of my gear :(

Ignite
10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey guys... I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm really considering an XXX because you can get them for pretty cheap on ebay... so I have a few question.

I play in a hardcore band (think Cursed, Trap Them, trash talk, maybe even killswitch engage) and I also play in a pop/rock band (think Paramore, AFI, our lead vocalist is my sister)

So how will it suite these styles?
How good are the cleans compared to others?
How does the high gain tone compare to other high gain amps?
How well does it handle drop tunings? Let's say drop B.

Thanks in advance. :)

eyebanez333
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
1. So how will it suite these styles?
2. How good are the cleans compared to others?
3. How does the high gain tone compare to other high gain amps?
4. How well does it handle drop tunings? Let's say drop B.
5 Thanks in advance. :)

1. Should be fine, its a fairly versatile amp.

2. The cleans are great compared to other high gain amps imo.

3.Will have plenty of gain.

4. I play though mine with my 8-string and it sounds killer.

5. Your welcome :D

edbert
11-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone, so I might be setting up a trade with someone, my Crate Palomino V16 for his Peavey Ultra 410. Now I've played the JSX and XXX before and I really really like the versatility and sound of those amps (I play stuff from blues to classic rock/metal to Satriani). How comparable is the Ultra to both of those (besides being older and having essentially the same controls)? I'm talking specifics in sound quality, i.e if I were to play a JSX and an Ultra side by side with the same settings what differences should I expect.

woodenbandman
11-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I test drove the 3120 yesterday, and it was absolute sex.

For those of you who don't know it's a Triple XXX with an EL34 power stage. It only comes in a head form, not a combo, which is unfortunately for the Guitar Center guy going to turn me towards a used combo (that and I need to save money and can't get financing and blah blah blah). I feel kinda bad for testing it and ultimately not buying it, but them's the breaks, sorry brah.

Anyway, my rating:

It's amazing. I came in wanting to try the JSX, which they didn't have, and I was totally floored by the versatility and tone of this amp. I just dialed all the controls in to 7 out of 10 on the crunch channel and it was chunky and tight, great for metal. I didn't really get a chance to do it super low tuned and death metal-y, but I was impressed by how well it had that good death metal riffing sound even in standard tuning. And the cleans, oh my god, the cleans. They were awesome. Not to mention the awesome solo sound, which, by the way, was fat and smooth.

I'm getting myself a Triple XXX and putting in EL34s. And I suggest you all do the same.

Also apparently this amp has a knob or something on the back that goes from tight to loose voicing. If that's true, then that's awesome, in case I ever want to play blues or something. I didn't really check that part out, I was too busy playing metal.

311ZOSOVHJH
11-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I can't compare contrast those 2 necessarily but I will bump you with this.

The Ultra was the precursor to the XXX no?
Is this Ultra a 4x10 combo? Sorry.
I'd do it.
The XXX is the precursor to the 3120 no?
3120 ships with EL34's (some shipped with 6L6s stock)
I think the Ultra will be very close to what you want.
it will be a huge jump in your favor
that is all

edbert
11-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I can't compare contrast those 2 necessarily but I will bump you with this.

The Ultra was the precursor to the XXX no?
Is this Ultra a 4x10 combo? Sorry.
I'd do it.
The XXX is the precursor to the 3120 no?
3120 ships with EL34's (some shipped with 6L6s stock)
I think the Ultra will be very close to what you want.
it will be a huge jump in your favor
that is all

Yeah it's the 4x10 combo, I believe it has 4 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 6L6GC power tubes. I've yet to read a bad review on it, and considering I only paid $150 for my amp yeah it would be a huge jump for me. Hopefully he'll want to go through with the trade.

Thanks for the help/bump 311 :cheers:

Anyone here play(ed) the Ultra and can compare to a XXX/JSX?

311ZOSOVHJH
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
^I'd PM IbanezPsycho. I have not seem him on here recently but he knows these amps pretty well.

Either way I think it is a no brainer for you as long as you can deal with the weight of this monster.

Sorry, part of my point was that the JSX has EL34 tubes and so does the 3120 so you can play those 2 at GuitarCenter or something it might help your decision process.

blrhoover
11-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey dudes, I just set in my deal and I'm getting an XXX. I mostly play metal. Stuff like Winds of Plague, Born of Osiris, Annotations of an Autopsy, etc. Will I at all be dissapointed with this purchase?

2112swartz
12-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey dudes, I just set in my deal and I'm getting an XXX. I mostly play metal. Stuff like Winds of Plague, Born of Osiris, Annotations of an Autopsy, etc. Will I at all be dissapointed with this purchase?

this is kind of late, but no, not at all. The XXX handles heavy stuff like that quite nicely.

bjovi400
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
How you guys doin? took a forum vacation. lol

Just so you guys know, if you guys have something to add, please send me a PM because i might not always be up to date on the thread. I wish i could somehow nominate a co-thread starter. lol

I think i've said it before, but my XXX combo with EL34s tone sounds a lot like Children of Bodoms tone. So they do get really heavy

riflesndaisies
01-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey guys,

so ive decided to get a peavey... Please help me which one.

I very much like the JSX and the XXX/3120 amps but i dont know which amp to get, can you help me to find an amp to play the following: Metallica, Megadeth, Bullet for my Valentine, Iron Maiden, Trivium, EVH, Satch, Steve Vai, Dream theater, Pantera, Ozzy Osbourne, Sabbath, AC/DC, Slayer, CoB, Journey, Guns n Roses and loads of different 80s bands i wont list.

The amp needs to have decent cleans that can compete with iron maiden and metallica cleans but it would need enough gain for Metalcore.

Which amp is the best for me?

EDIT: I would like the head versions of the amps, so if the JSX has enough gain i would prefer it to the XXX.

Does the JSX have enough gain for CoB, BFMV, etc? Ive heard it play EVH, Maiden and Trivium fairly well

bjovi400
01-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey guys,

so ive decided to get a peavey... Please help me which one.

I very much like the JSX and the XXX/3120 amps but i dont know which amp to get, can you help me to find an amp to play the following: Metallica, Megadeth, Bullet for my Valentine, Iron Maiden, Trivium, EVH, Satch, Steve Vai, Dream theater, Pantera, Ozzy Osbourne, Sabbath, AC/DC, Slayer, CoB, Journey, Guns n Roses and loads of different 80s bands i wont list.

The amp needs to have decent cleans that can compete with iron maiden and metallica cleans but it would need enough gain for Metalcore.

Which amp is the best for me?

EDIT: I would like the head versions of the amps, so if the JSX has enough gain i would prefer it to the XXX.

Does the JSX have enough gain for CoB, BFMV, etc? Ive heard it play EVH, Maiden and Trivium fairly well
In my opinion, no. Played it, and couldn't really get a good metal tone out of it. Hard rock? definitely.

Either 3120 or XXX. My XXX with EL34s is perfect for Dokken and CoB

eyebanez333
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM

+1

XXX with EL34s FTW

mexican_shred
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
In my opinion, no. Played it, and couldn't really get a good metal tone out of it. Hard rock? definitely.

JSX basically has the XXX ultra channel. It can do COB and Dokken easily.

CatharsisStudio
01-09-2010, 09:24 PM
SO guys i have to depart with my XXX it was a good amp, it did its time, but alas. it had way to much ****ing gain :3 :[ i am gonna miss it

mexican_shred
01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
What are you using that money towards?

CatharsisStudio
01-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Krank Rev JR

i sold the XXX for 450 to a good friend so i'll still get to use it alot

me and him are gonna put el34s in it

riflesndaisies
01-10-2010, 08:35 AM

Thanks man, needed to know because if i struggle to get an XXX ( im in the UK) i was gonna get the JSX, but if its no good for what i want their isnt much point in getting it.

Has anyone tried the XXX/3120 with KT77s, they're supposed to sound ballsier than el34s?

Which speaker will sound best with these amps? V30s? Eminence? G12k-75?

eyebanez333
01-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks man, needed to know because if i struggle to get an XXX ( im in the UK) i was gonna get the JSX, but if its no good for what i want their isnt much point in getting it.

Has anyone tried the XXX/3120 with KT77s, they're supposed to sound ballsier than el34s?

Which speaker will sound best with these amps? V30s? Eminence? G12k-75?

Haven't tried the KT77's in the XXX...but if you play metal, I think the V30s would be the speaker for you.

AustinxAtomic
01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Anyone got some settings for some like BTBAM, PTH type music for an Ultra Plus?

bjovi400
01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
My XXX came with KT77's when i bought it. Only thing is, mine was one of the ones that couldn't handle it. Screen Resistors blew after a while. After i replaced everything, KT77's were eh. I got Ruby EL34's and a mix of shuguang (sp?) and tung-sol 12ax7's and it darkened up a bit.

I wouldn't necessarily go with V30's. They can be bright sounding speakers, and for an amp like the XXX, it's bright already. I was looking into getting a darker speaker for mine, like the Eminence Swamp Thang, or Texas Heat.

riflesndaisies
01-10-2010, 12:42 PM
My XXX came with KT77's when i bought it. Only thing is, mine was one of the ones that couldn't handle it. Screen Resistors blew after a while. After i replaced everything, KT77's were eh. I got Ruby EL34's and a mix of shuguang (sp?) and tung-sol 12ax7's and it darkened up a bit.

I wouldn't necessarily go with V30's. They can be bright sounding speakers, and for an amp like the XXX, it's bright already. I was looking into getting a darker speaker for mine, like the Eminence Swamp Thang, or Texas Heat.

So should i use KT77s in the XXX or get JJs or something?

As for the cab, would G12k-75 sound ok then? I've heard they are really good at being bassy. Hows the eminence governors or man o wars for bright sounding amps?

bjovi400
01-10-2010, 12:44 PM
i don't know how to tell if your amp will be able to use them. Mine was one of them that wasn't, but i know somewhere down the production line, they made some changes.

I have Ruby EL34's in and it sounds great.

Go to Eminence's site and look at their chart. It lists all of their speakers characteristics.

http://www.eminence-speaker.com/pdf/tone_guide.pdf

I personally would stick with the patriot series, and like i said, i was going to get the Swamp Thang because it has a fat chunky bottom end and isn't ear piercingly bright

riflesndaisies
01-10-2010, 01:04 PM
i don't know how to tell if your amp will be able to use them. Mine was one of them that wasn't, but i know somewhere down the production line, they made some changes.

I have Ruby EL34's in and it sounds great.

Go to Eminence's site and look at their chart. It lists all of their speakers characteristics.

http://www.eminence-speaker.com/pdf/tone_guide.pdf

I personally would stick with the patriot series, and like i said, i was going to get the Swamp Thang because it has a fat chunky bottom end and isn't ear piercingly bright

Just had a listen to the swamp thang, I think im going to buy the cab i wanted to (it has V30s in it) then im going to see how it sounds, if i dont like it im going to take em out and but some swamp thangs i think.

KG Karnage
01-10-2010, 02:44 PM
i was gonna get the JSX, but if its no good for what i want their isnt much point in getting it.

I've heard great things about the JSX and Metal tones actually. And Gary Holt (Exodus) and the one dude from Black Tide uses it too, among others

riflesndaisies
01-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I've heard great things about the JSX and Metal tones actually. And Gary Holt (Exodus) and the one dude from Black Tide uses it too, among others

Its not really its best style of music though is it, the XXX would be better for what i want to do particulary.