Gleichgewicht- Symphonic/Epic Folk Metal

PDA

View Full Version : Gleichgewicht- Symphonic/Epic Folk Metal

dminishedthingy
07-20-2008, 11:10 PM
hey guys, this is my first song i've put together with gp, so there aren't any drums yet, as i'm still figuring them out
i was going for an Equilibrium-like epic folk metal song, and while i love the riffs, i don't think it flows very good yet, and i'll probably revise it later
any tips/feedback would be greatly appreciated
:cheers:

Portuguese_boy
07-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow that was awesome, I loved the medieval sound, and the flute added a really nice touch.

Jonjy2
07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I liked the leads and the flute especially. But you need to work on the chords. They are dissonant with the lead.

Keep working on it. Could be very nice.

Doomality
07-20-2008, 11:20 PM
I DEFINENTLY want to hear the song if it is ever recorded. :3

Slaytanic1993
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I had to jig with this. Definitely friggen epic metal.

Very cool all around, and the flute bits were awesome, though the sudden "DOOM BOOM" chord changes were a bit weird, altogether an awesome folky piece.

I know it's not C4C, but mind critting mine...? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914622

dminishedthingy
07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I liked the leads and the flute especially. But you need to work on the chords. They are dissonant with the lead.

Keep working on it. Could be very nice.
what do you mean? like, what chords would sound better?

^the transitions are a bit rough, but i figure drums will fix that
i critted yours too btw

Broadsword
07-21-2008, 12:28 AM
First song? Crap, that was a hell of a lot better than my first song. :haha

Anyways, that was pretty sweet. Not only is this the one of the first folk metal songs I've seen in here for quite some time, but it's also one of the better ones, along with Jonjy's. You should check his out, they are quite good.

The only thing I didn't like was the first 8 bars. The way each of the bars ended led the sound to nowhere. It was random, in a sense. Everything else was great, though, especially for a first song. This was a pretty strong piece considering there's no drums, as well. Once you get the hang of them, be sure to post an updated version.

Crit my most current song?:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835965

Jaxoo
07-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Very good, i liked it alot. I think this may be due to the quality of guitar pro's sound, but some of the flute parts didn't seem to mesh well with the guitar. Would very much like to hear a real recording of it.

Phill-Rock
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Good song, but I would have added more progression and made it less repetitive, and probably added a simple melodic solo.

dminishedthingy
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys
i uploaded the revised version now, it has an added flute interlude and another riff which i think makes it flow smoother

BringMeTheCalm
07-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Nice work. I like the dissonant chords and random transitions.

Are you thinking of having vocals with it?

duncang
07-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Oh man...I lol'd so hard at that brass :haha

I just can't take that damn soundfont seriously, sounds like some B-side Varg Vikernes wrote in prison :haha

Anyway, awesome cheesiness aside, this was pretty good. The structure was a little fragmented but could easily be patched up with drums (it depends on what you were planning to do with them though). Bit repetitive too but again vocals will cure all of that. I wasn't too fond of the key change/flute solo, though I definitely liked the way it built up again, that was one of the best parts. Needs some bass, too.

For a first song that was very impressive but unsurprisingly there is some improvement to be made. Good job.

(Return crit link is in my sig)

dminishedthingy
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
:haha i'll take Varg as a compliment...
but i know what you mean :cheers:
i'll crit yours later toninght

darth awsome
07-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the Crit on mine.

First off: Badass name. I have no idea what it means but to me is spells awesome. Great use of the brass section and flute. I really loved the theme you had going with the flute and guitar but I felt like most of the song sounded the same up to bar 100 or so due to the rythem. Gallops are great but I think you over used them here. I mean lets face it: your no Iron Maiden. Some of the transitions are rocky but you already knew that. Thats pretty much all I can say. Good work!