An Old Man Dies - Progressive/Spazz Metal/Ballad [GP5, GP4, Midi] C4C

PDA

View Full Version : An Old Man Dies - Progressive/Spazz Metal/Ballad [GP5, GP4, Midi] C4C

ealtdharkon
07-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm not one to go on about these things, so I won't - but I visited a bad place recently, in the spiritual sense... and somehow, this got me out.

I've changed a lot of this since I first uploaded it, I've gutted an entire middle section that was having a seriously negative effect on me.
...there were some good guitar parts in there, and they will be used in other songs, I'm sure.

It says 31 people have viewed my tab, so if any of you guys check back again, you're not suffering memory problems, I have ripped this piece to shreds.

That being said, if you make the effort to crit this, I'd happily do the same.
...if I like your stuff, I'll probably go and crit a few more "pro bono" as it were.

See ya'round,

Rob

darth awsome
07-21-2008, 02:27 PM
That was well nice 8/10 C4C?

No really. I thouroghly enjoyed that. My favourite part was the acoustic bits where the melody was stuck on top of the fingerpicking type thing like the first and second variations of part 3. Some of the acoustic bits before that kind of blended together but thats not neccesarily a bad thing. I liked the way it jumped right into the distorted part at 63 without losing momentum but I think the solo could be a bit more melodic but thats just taste. I don't like the transition at 72. It interrupts the flow of the song in my opinion. nothing a short transition run won't fix though. The rythems that start at 81 are insane. They sound like something Meshugga would do. Part 10 is straight up crazy but part 4 at 107 seems rushed. maybe slow the tempo down a bit or calm the drums down for that part unless thats the feel you where going for. I didn't like the way you jumped back to acoustic at 127 but the transition at 134 is really well done. I think the solo after that could go on for a bit longer to build up a bit more but thats really just taste. As a whole very well done.

Crit mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914350

darth awsome
07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Sorry about the whole gp5 thing but I have no idea how to save it as a gp4 or make it a MIDI. If you could point me in the right direction on that I would be really grateful.

And I will gladly look over it again when it is finished. It has the making of a great song.

*BUMP*

darth awsome
07-21-2008, 07:37 PM
I've got your back
so don't shoot any flak
GP 4, 5 and MIDI
are sure to make you giddy.

darth awsome
07-21-2008, 08:51 PM
sorry my rhymes are whack.

What I meant to say was that I had Uploaded the GP4 and MIDI files and they where ready for your examination.

bloodshed344
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Bars 1-30 were great, drums just seemed a little too active

Part IV was great, as well as everything as up to the distortion (Not that that isn't completely awesome) Great use of time signatures, it was barely noticeable. The solo was awesome, just great. The notes at the start of Part V just didn't seem right though, and it was EXTREMELY SHORT. That made me angry, had the potential to go on for 8+ minutes. Also, U O ME Half a crit.

ealtdharkon
08-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Bars 1-30 were great, drums just seemed a little too active

Part IV was great, as well as everything as up to the distortion (Not that that isn't completely awesome) Great use of time signatures, it was barely noticeable. The solo was awesome, just great. The notes at the start of Part V just didn't seem right though, and it was EXTREMELY SHORT. That made me angry, had the potential to go on for 8+ minutes. Also, U O ME Half a crit.

I know this could have gone on... and a lot of the earlier acoustic parts could have made a return later on - they did have that feel to it, and originally this song was a lot longer.
A LOT longer.

...but I felt really down when I was writing this. Many of the opening ideas I wrote straight to guitar on this little classical I had lying around, and I was just writing as I was thinking... so it was very much a musical expression of an issue in my life, at the time.

I did write some hellagood riffs for later on, some insane time sigging, 21/32 and daft stuff like that, huge choruses, more solos, lots of triplets and a Meshuggah style break/beatdown...
...and y'know what? The moment I took all that away, and just ... shrunk, this song....
I felt better.

In any other case, this would be longer... but, almost spiritually, I had to keep this slim.