Progressive Death? C4C (GP4 + GP5 + MIDI)

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Death? C4C (GP4 + GP5 + MIDI)

6_6_6_1_syn
07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Heres one of my band's new songs. It's for our second release (our first isn't even out yet haha) and we're moving in a totally different direction. We love hearing suggestions and tips so if you have any ideas, dont hesitate to mention whatever. I'll also give C4C, just post a link. ;)

YourMessiah666
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
woah man thats crazy. thats definitely pretty crazy man. i like i like

brush200400
07-23-2008, 11:39 PM
great composition! responding to the question mark in the title, id say its progressive deathcore

6_6_6_1_syn
07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the crits so far. And brush200400, I'd probably say that too if i wasnt in denial hahah. Been trying to break the -core title lately. :rolleyes:

brush200400
07-23-2008, 11:47 PM
no prob. i have stop liked -core music too. i like your composition though and it is even better when talking about the style of deathcore, cause it conforms to its style.

6_6_6_1_syn
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Ah i wouldn't say ive stopped liking -core music, just generic -core music. And i didn't like that my writing was starting to become that. But what do you mean when you say it conforms to its style?

brush200400
07-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Ah i wouldn't say ive stopped liking -core music, just generic -core music. And i didn't like that my writing was starting to become that. But what do you mean when you say it conforms to its style?

the harmony is diatonic, as opposed to sinister sounding; e.g. tri-tones. various things like that make it deathcore instead of just death metal.

leo_p8
07-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Wow... lately I don't even know why I bother trying... there is too much competition... :(

I thought this song was awesome. From beginning to end it was well thought out, harmonically amazing (if a little TOO "happy" for my taste) and (ABOVE ALL): tasteful. You, sir, have an amazing song here, and, should you ever record it, I would LOVE to have a listen.

My only real gripe was the overuse (or, over-repetition) of the break-down section (rhythm sections). I know they are integral to the style, and they were quiet varied as well, but I still thought they lingered for longer than they should. Then again, with a capable vocalist that problem will be completely eliminated... so... yeah... perfect as far as my heavy-laden music critic ear goes.

AWESOME WORK!!!

6_6_6_1_syn
07-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Wow... lately I don't even know why I bother trying... there is too much competition... :(

I thought this song was awesome. From beginning to end it was well thought out, harmonically amazing (if a little TOO "happy" for my taste) and (ABOVE ALL): tasteful. You, sir, have an amazing song here, and, should you ever record it, I would LOVE to have a listen.

My only real gripe was the overuse (or, over-repetition) of the break-down section (rhythm sections). I know they are integral to the style, and they were quiet varied as well, but I still thought they lingered for longer than they should. Then again, with a capable vocalist that problem will be completely eliminated... so... yeah... perfect as far as my heavy-laden music critic ear goes.

AWESOME WORK!!!

Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate the kind words. We are really into breakdowns and complex rhythms but i can definitely see where that might get repetative.
And about it maybe being too 'happy' haha...actually the rest of the band sometimes has a problem with all my major and happy sounding harmonies but thats my style haha. Thanks again!

:D

Valo
07-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Amazing, I get excited when I see new songs from you guys.

I'm never disappointed!

Burning_Angel
07-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Mostly, that song was flawless. Mostly. Every part was good, and it was definitely crazy.

My huge gripe with the song though, were the overly abundant rhythmic deathcore breakdowns. I dont like breakdowns to be used so much. This crossed the line into way too many breakdowns.

Other than that, everything was flawless.

icronic
07-24-2008, 01:44 AM
This song is way outside of my usual tastes. I should hate it. But, I love it. Your use of rhythm is among the best I've seen on here.

You manage every transition incredibly well too, nothing feels weird sloppy out out of place.

The drums from 38-41 annoy the hell out of me though. That's about the only negative thing I can think to say.

.Joker.
07-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Christ man hah
Death breakdowns aren't really my thing so I dunno how to crit them lol but anyways
It starts off amazingly and tbh my favorite parts of the song were your happy/major parts
The use of the keyboards was real good, tasteful in every riff it was used.
Again I'm not much for the death stuff so I'll just skip over that big section of the song lol (sorry)
The synth lead was great andfor some reason it reminded me of Dragonballz lol
My favorite part of the whole song is the clean guitars and on, its actually amazing stuff haha. Now time to find something to crit lol...
One thing that comes to mind was i think the bouncy part was a little too long and from bars 67-94 doesn't really do much for the song imo (good stuff though), it just changes the atmosphere of the song TOO much...i dunno how to explain it lol
but otherwise damn good song...9.5/10 mang

Ailes
07-24-2008, 03:31 AM
Good work! Reminds me of BTBAM or The Faceless, good technical metalcore. Yet it doesn't sound directly too much like either band (especially BTBAM, a favorite for a reason, but every attempt at progressive metalcore can kinda sound like them here).

Keep the "happy sounding" harmonies, that's better than being the bilionth band who does the standart harmonic-minor-scale-in-thirds thing, and some of those riffs were really clever (like the melody in bar 35 ff). And for what it's worth, this song doesn't give me the riffsalad-feeling of hearing cool riffs just for 5 sec, then get 20 other new riffs thrown at me. Though it wouldn't hurt reintroducing more recurring elements in the latter parts (better than a mediocre new part).
I would take some issues with the overall songstructure, it felt basically like: tech-riff - breakdown - tech riff - breakdown - tech riff ...
I mean, no harm done, you introduced a clean break later on and an epic outro with melodic lead and fat chords, but I think the song would profit if the melodic elements were introduced earlier and integrated throughout the song.

Anyways, the stuff shows that you know what you're doing, very well. Keep at it, I'd love to hear more!

punk_metal
07-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Lol
Awesome breakdown around the 2:40 mark I think it was.
Definately progressive deathcore.

I really enjoyed it and I can't find any flaws in it tbh.
You could make like 3 seperate songs purely off that song.
Congrats.
Some bits mind me of BOO aha.

NovemberRain273
07-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Wow, this was really good man. There were a few parts that I wasn't so crazy about, and I felt like sometimes it deviated a little too far genrewise, but it was still really good, and I really liked it. I'm normally not really into this type of music but you really pulled it off. Great job.

6_6_6_1_syn
07-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the crits guys. I guess a lot of the criticism is on our use of breakdowns haha. We love breakdowns and using unique rhythms, but as i said before i definitely see where it could get repetative.

Thanks for all the responses!

ch715dallat
07-25-2008, 07:09 AM
one of the best writers on ug for sure, alongside that BROOTAL guy except you guys actually record your stuff and record them very well. great stuff as usual man

XxLloydxX
07-25-2008, 11:54 AM
This is amazing! I definitely hear this as the start of an album, it could be an amazing start for one and can serve the overture. I loved the drums, they were ****ing kiss-ass. The guitar rhythms were really jumpy and exciting. I really loved the instrument game plays where there's an awkward rhythm and the instruments like talk to each, I love that kind of progressive stuff!
There's like a break in rules of music in this work (not saying music has rules), but it just sounds as if this work flown off from music boundaries...that's what creativity is for, to take things to next level. You guys definitely have that creative impulse.

bloodshed344
07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
My only complaint was it seemed like the happy and the death clashed a little too much. I myself prefer the death.

Also, good job on the breakdowns. You might have a bunch of em but it just doesn't seem like riff salad. Everything flowed really well and I could see this being a great song. I just hope there isn't any standard metalcore singing in it, if there is any. I haven't heard your band so I don't know the vocal style though. Every instrument was composed really well, I agree with XxLloydxX on the drums. I, unlike the others, like all the breakdowns. That's just me.

gutsman
09-19-2008, 11:58 AM
amazing. you, good sir, have some good songwriting skills. my only complaint is that some of the effects were a bit overdone to my taste (the string ensemble en other exotic midi instrument weren't really necessary i think)