Progressive rock - GP5, C4C

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive rock - GP5, C4C

tborsje
07-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Hi guys

I started writing this song ages ago, it's gone through about 100 different changes but I think it's close to being final now.

I _think_ that I was influenced by prog rock bands like Jethro Tull and Opeth's softer side when I first started writing this (It was so long ago I wouldn't remember). It has a 'metalish' breakdown but the majority of the song is acoustic/clean.

I couldn't be bothered to upload a GP4 (Seriously, time to upgrade to 5) or a midi, so it's GP5.2 and supposed to be listened to with RSE - the last solo will sound shithouse without it on.

I'll crit for a crit, thanks guys.

Here's a link to my other song I've uploaded. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13773389)

Edit: Swapped the rhythm tracks and lead tracks after the breakdown, saved with all rse off and than saved with it on again in case GP was defaulting the presets.

icronic
07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Maybe it's my GP, but for RSE mine has the Eddie Clean and Eddie Lead sounds backwards, so the clean is actually lead and lead is clean. Which brings me to my first question. Is the lead guitar supposed to be clean for the most part, or dirty? It's dirty when I'm playing it, and it sounds pretty terrible that way. Anyway, I've listened to it in both RSE and midi

Will there be lyrics for this, or is it purely instrumental? I felt that in many areas the song carried on a little long before changing. If there are lyrics, then that's not a bad thing, but if there aren't, you might consider shortening thing's a little or adding a little more variation or subtle lead fills or something.

The keys are a nice touch, but in RSE they're very very quiet.

Love the arpeggio part, especially when you go up to the Dm, it's very Opeth. It feels more to me like a buildup to something instead of a verse though. It feels like the whole arpeggio bit wants to lead into some big acoustic strumming or some ringing overdrive guitar or something.

Clean solo 1 is awesome. Again, it's really hard to hear in RSE, sounds fine without it though.

Clean solo 2 is also awesome. It's still a little quiet in RSE, but it's a lot easier to hear than the first one. I like how you've changed the sound for variation too, it's a really important thing that not nearly enough people (including myself) pay attention to.

The breakdown is nice, although it feels out of place, it also seems a little long. I'd almost try reducing each chord from 4 bars to 2. Normally I don't like such obvious tempo changes, but you're actually sounds really good and the transition back into the song works really well.

The ending solo is kind of a let down. It just seems like a good place to really let loose and you never do. It's not a bad solo, but I don't think it's nearly as good as the clean ones were. Although, the harmonics at the end are killer.

The outro and the transition into it just don't work for me. It would almost sound better if you worked out a way to end with those harmonics.

Overall I think your biggest problem came from the weirdness with the RSE, the volumes were off, the sounds were off, plain midi sounded better for the most part.

Each individual part was great though, but as I said it does feel like it's building up to something that never quite happens.

Either way, I liked it and enjoyed listening to it.

tborsje
07-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Maybe it's my GP, but for RSE mine has the Eddie Clean and Eddie Lead sounds backwards, so the clean is actually lead and lead is clean. Which brings me to my first question. Is the lead guitar supposed to be clean for the most part, or dirty? It's dirty when I'm playing it, and it sounds pretty terrible that way.

Hmmm that's strange, the rhythm is supposed to be acoustic (steel) until the breakdown, when it becomes Zakk time - rhythm, and the lead is supposed to be Eddie clean - finger until the 2nd solo aswell. For some reason GP mustn't be saving my RSE settings?

The only part where it's 'swapped' is after the breakdown - the only difference that made was the the track which was supposed to be panned to the left a little was panned to the right a little - I've fixed that now anyway.

Will there be lyrics for this, or is it purely instrumental? I felt that in many areas the song carried on a little long before changing. If there are lyrics, then that's not a bad thing, but if there aren't, you might consider shortening thing's a little or adding a little more variation or subtle lead fills or something.

The keys are a nice touch, but in RSE they're very very quiet.

I imagined that the song would suit lyrics - that said, I can't write lyrics so it will probably never get them. I might add some leads in the verses to make it more interesting.

The keys aren't supposed to be very loud but still easily noticeable, however I noticed that in Vista that they're so quiet that I could hardly hear it. I use XP most of the time and it seems that Microsoft had its default midi bank louder in it.

Love the arpeggio part, especially when you go up to the Dm, it's very Opeth. It feels more to me like a buildup to something instead of a verse though. It feels like the whole arpeggio bit wants to lead into some big acoustic strumming or some ringing overdrive guitar or something.

I felt that way too, which is why I left the rhythm as distortion guitar in the bit after the breakdown - was probably too late in the song for it to feel like ending a build-up though. I'm still not sure how to work something like it into the verses either.

Clean solo 1 is awesome. Again, it's really hard to hear in RSE, sounds fine without it though.

Clean solo 2 is also awesome. It's still a little quiet in RSE, but it's a lot easier to hear than the first one. I like how you've changed the sound for variation too, it's a really important thing that not nearly enough people (including myself) pay attention to.

Strange about the volume - they're both loud on my end. I ended up adjusting the EQ on the RSE for the rhythm because the lead seemed too loud too me, must be my/your Guitar Pro?

The breakdown is nice, although it feels out of place, it also seems a little long. I'd almost try reducing each chord from 4 bars to 2. Normally I don't like such obvious tempo changes, but you're actually sounds really good and the transition back into the song works really well.

Yeah, still dunno about the breakdown - I just really wanted the distortion to 'explode' into the song and this seemed like the best way when I wrote it like 18 months ago. The only thing I've changed since then is the drums.

The ending solo is kind of a let down. It just seems like a good place to really let loose and you never do. It's not a bad solo, but I don't think it's nearly as good as the clean ones were. Although, the harmonics at the end are killer.

Well I used to have some silly shreddy thing there, but it really didn't feel right to me. Maybe I restrained it a bit too much though.

Overall I think your biggest problem came from the weirdness with the RSE, the volumes were off, the sounds were off, plain midi sounded better for the most part.

I might fiddle around with the RSE on the file later, it seems that GP is using its defaults instead of the presets I choose.

Thanks for the crit :)