My song index. [GP5.2, GP4, Midi]

PDA

View Full Version : My song index. [GP5.2, GP4, Midi]

Magero
07-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Right, if this IS against any rules and should be closed, I'm cool with that but if a mod could just let me know first, I will delete it before it would be closed. :)

Basically, I've got so much material and instead of having 20/30 threads scattered around the forum, I've decided I just wanna have one thread with a link to a folder with all my music in it. Like I said, against the rules? Let me know, I'll delete it asap.

Anyway, my name's Jack, I'm a metal/symphonic composer so everything in these folders is either gonna be symphonic pieces, or symphonic metal. :)

If anyone wants to crit, I'm more than happy to crit back, don't feel obliged to listen to all of it :haha

Link to Guitar Pro 4 tabs (http://www.box.net/shared/u22y9rbc4o)
Link to Guitar Pro 5.2 tabs (http://www.box.net/shared/nj5luti808)
Link to midi songs (http://www.box.net/shared/e6u938bwoc)

If the links don't work, let me know :)

Song index:

A Systematic Reversal of Everything You Thought You Knew about Anything: 8 minute long Progressive/Metalcore style song, similar vein to BTBAM. Lots of Beneath the Massacre influence and just some riffage stuff. Includes multiple time sig/tempo changes, epic chords, blasts and a banjo. G# Standard

Arise Apathic Antiquity: 8 minute long symphonic metal song, similar style to Epica. Nevermore and Dream Theater influence is heavy in this. Lots of strings and chuggy riffs and a (I'd like to think) fairly cool solo. B standard.

Defleshed: 2/3 minute orchestral piece. Very creepy.

Forever: 2/3 minute long orchestral piece. Bit depressing, slow, mournful.

I; Winter: Part one of a concept piece that I wrote awhile back. Slow build up, piano and strings before the guitars come in. B standard.

II; Darkest Before an Arctic Dawn: Part two of the concept piece. Acoustic variation on the theme from I.

III; Regret in Mauve: 8/9 minute long symphonic metal song with tons of layers of strings, piano, horns etc. Part three of the concept piece.

IV; Sand-Blasted Wounds: Behemoth influenced song. Had the main riff for about 2 years now. Part four of the concept piece.

Lyron, The Village: Intro piece to an album I was planning on writing. Builds up slowly and ends with a piano effect I really like.

My Blade, Your Heart, Our Funeral: Dumb title, sludgy doom metal piece.

Ne Obliviscaris: Inspired by the band of the same name. Lots of cool chords and violin parts.

On a Midnight Stroll Through Carpathia: First symphonic song I ever wrote. Was originally going to be a orchestra only piece but I got carried away.

Overture for an Inifity's Agony: An overture for the songs "Strange times", "Midnight Stroll", "Spectres", "My Blade" and "Forever".

R'Lyeh, Sunken No More: Basically a song made of intros. I hate it to be honest.

Razor Wit for an Ignorant Wrist: Full version of 'Forever' with guitars and such. Symphonic metalcore I guess.

Salvation Through Divinity: Newest song in here, full on symphonic metal. Lots of focus on piano parts and strings, cool guitar solo.

Spectres in the Night: Brutal symphonic death metal piece. Slow and brooding that smashes you in the face :p: Has plenty of chunky riffs and lots of horns/clarinets/strings to keep you interested.

Strange Times (A Twist to Romance): Second symphonic metal song I wrote. Is now being played with my band.

The Beginning of the End: Agalloch meets Pantera. Bout it really.

The End of the Beginning: Part 2, more focus on chords and strumming that "riffs".

The House in the Woods: The obligatory "Opeth" piece.

The Suppression of Existential Thought: Yet another album intro piece. Pianos, strings, heavy chords, etc.

Unto The Tower (Reprisal of Torment): Orchestral only version of "Unto the Tower".

Unto the Tower: The music my band walks on stage to. Piano driven, creepy, and dark. Cool chords.

V; The Inevitable Crash: Weird 5/4 piece that basically just flows through. Feels like a giant interlude, I love it.

VI; Lost to These Waves: 12 minute long symphonic metal song. Probably the best song I've ever written, very emotional, lots of acoustic passages that culminates in the beginning of Winter Returns.

VII; Winter Returns: Part 7 of my concept piece. Basically a giant reprise.

:cheers:

~J.M.L.~

professorlamp
07-24-2008, 07:06 AM
I like defleshed its really eerie

Mutleypunk
07-24-2008, 07:11 AM
thought the 12 minute epic was absolutely awesome, and though defleshed was pretty cool as well... will listen to the rest later :D

duncang
07-24-2008, 07:12 AM
I really can't be bothered to wade through all of them, so give me one that you want crit for the most, would ye?

Magero
07-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Salvation Through Divinity OR Regret in Mauve.
Either/and.

professorlamp
07-24-2008, 07:18 AM
your stuff is really good when you've got a CD of this stuff up for sale I'll buy it, can you recommend any composers/artists in the style of defleshed and VI ?

Magero
07-24-2008, 07:24 AM
your stuff is really good when you've got a CD of this stuff up for sale I'll buy it, can you recommend any composers/artists in the style of defleshed and VI ?
Um....-thinks-....
Agalloch is a good bet. Mirrorthrone aswel.

edit: Oh and many thanks to anyone who complimented, much appreciated :D

duncang
07-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Salvation Through Divinity it is.

Note: I paused Heir Apparent for this, it better be good :p:

Anyway, that was pretty impressive, lots of good material in there. Looking at the score in the bottom right though, it seems like the drummer and yourself aren't getting enough action. I think there were a couple too many 'interludes' or quiet parts or whatever you want to call them. I wouldn't say it disrupts the flow because the transitions between them are well done, but I think the structure would have been more solid if it didn't seem so indecisive on whether or not to go heavy or soft. For example, at bar 100, I did a quick cut job removing everything until bar 123 when it gets heavier again, and aside from the obvious lack of fills to get it there it sounds fine.

As far as the actual music being played goes, there aren't really any errors but there were a couple of little things I could point out: at bar 56 (and other bars with the same chord), the notes being played are A, A#, D and D# which quite obviously clash a little, so maybe at least changing the A on top to an A# would help that out. The drums also had a couple of little problems that messed with me a bit, example being at bar 125, where the last two beats are filled with toms. It sort of fragments that part when I think just continuing the beat was necessary. The following part with just floor toms and bass pedal could have used some cymbals or something on top of it as well because that feels a bit empty. I also noticed that pretty much all of the beats (excluding fills) have the same snare pattern, one on the 4th beat. While it obviously works as the standard 6/8 pattern, a little more variety wouldn't hurt.

Overall, quality song though.

(Return crit link is in my sig, would be much appreciated)

..NEM..
07-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Oh, cool. Gonna check out this shit son. :D

Magero
07-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Mmhmm. Nice critique. I agree completely on the drum thing. I'm not a drummer (no wai?! :p: ) so yeah, all my drum beats are normal pretty basic and when I want the focus to be on the guitars/strings, I normally just copy/paste the drum beats. So yeah, drums are pretty boring most of the way. I agree with the tom fill before the solo, to be honest, that song was like, edited about a day ago. It used to be much longer and much more repeatitive and the tom fill was the only part I really kept from the middle.

The chord in bar 56 is actually meant to sound like that, I thought it worked nicely :p:

Cheers for ze critique, will check out yours momentarily.

crowldawg66
07-24-2008, 09:45 AM
So I decided to download a few songs and see if they were any good. Now I've downloaded the entire archive. Congratulations, man. I wish I could write like you, and I would love to hear these recorded. I guess I'll review III - Regret in Mauve, but mostly its just me going "Oh my god, thats so awesome!" The part where the guitars fade in and out around the piano? One of the coolest parts ever. The one criticism I could possibly give is that it starts to run out of steam towards the end. All the segments are brilliantly done, but there don't keep the energy level/interest that the first 3/4ths of the song song does. The ending, while good, is weak for an ending, and I think a reprise of the part from bars 73-80 would close everything off nicely. If you want to crit something, Dragonheart in my sig might work. Thanks.

Slaytanic1993
07-24-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm not going to look through them all :haha

Which one(s) should I crit, from my musical interests (or dis-interests)?

Gulli05
07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Nice to see someone intrested in Symphonic / Symphonic Metal Music. I am going through your archives now and looking at these.
Does your band have an MySpace?

Magero
07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Joe: Ne Obliviscaris, Lost to these Waves, Regret in Mauve, Salvation Through Divinity, Spectres in the Night. Not asking for crits, just saying you'd probably like those the best :)

Guilli: My band does. We play Symphonic Death Metal, kinda along the lines of Mors Principium Est and The Arcane Order, but with more melodeath influences, I dunno, it's hard to pinpoint. Our myspace songs are epic fail though but if you can, add us for support :). Oh, but check out our youtube account to check out our REAL sound :).
Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/aeternitasmetal)
Youtube Channel (http://youtube.com/user/AeternitasOfficial)
Check out "Karmatic Armageddon" to hear our "true sound" :)

:cheers:

edit: Oh, feel free to check out the link in my sig to hear my orchestral only project, Defleshed and Unto The Tower are used in that aswel.

Slaytanic1993
07-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I wanted to hear your stuff beyond the Aeternitas stuff, so I might crit later...

Goredit:
I'll just crit one in this post, since I've finished listening to it...NeO:

Pros - The intro, the tremolo parts, the symphonic bits (I especially liked the violin parts, very kewl). The song had excellent transitions between the parts, which I am envious of :p:. The simple acoustics were creepy and kind of atmospheric. The tremolo parts were just, in lack of a better word, epic. And, the symphonic bits were scattered nicely, and didn't intrude the guitar and drum dominance.

Cons - Something seemed missing. I can't pinpoint it, but something made the piece seem hollow and empty. Not in the emotional sense, the song sounded emotive, but there were bits where I felt it wasn't even a MIDI...

I dunno, that didn't make much sense, but you get my point :haha. Overall - About, 8.7/10.

Gulli05
07-24-2008, 06:52 PM
So, I checked out your MySpace, the band I am trying to get together has added your band. I also took a look at Karmatic Armageddon, you sound really good. Great work there. Keep it up and please more vids on youtube ;)

Edit: If I were in the same country as you, I would check you guys out at a concert. You guys are good and I think you should work on songs and try to get more known.

Magero
07-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Joe: Cheers man. That was written when I wanted to be a Ne Obliviscaris style band :p: hehe

Gulli: Cheers dude! :D Yeah, we're working hard every week on more stuff, should be gigging by November.

Slaytanic1993
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Joe: Cheers man. That was written when I wanted to be a Ne Obliviscaris style band :p: hehe

Never would've guessed :eek:

;)

Gulli05
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I hope you guys can make some gig vids, I wanna see some ;)

Magero
07-26-2008, 03:38 AM
Looking like our first gig with be in November sometime, can't say with who yet because it's;
1) Not confirmed.
2) Secret :p:

NosferatuZodd09
07-26-2008, 06:03 AM
K Karmatic Armageddon sounded like some truly quality melodic death, I'd definately would like to hear a version with better quality -like on the myspace haha at least :P-

tabs would be great too -im a tab ***** what can i say-

from that song alone it rapes most of the melodeath spoken of in these forums

remind me of some of my favorite bands such as Buried Dreams and Vesperian Sorrow so that was great haha

I might crit here and there, haha perhaps you could arrange your folders into symphonic metal and orchestral -just assuming i havent looked yet-

I really like the compositions that I've heard... hm

Regression
07-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Blah. Damn you, I just opened the first one, A Systematic Reversal of Everything You Thought You Knew about Anything, and I am already amazed.

Have high expectations for the rest but don't have time to listen just yet, it's really late. Will edit this with crit later, don't really have time to just right now but yeah. :)

bloodshed344
07-26-2008, 02:13 PM
I didn't really like it, too orchestral and all for me. Just not my style, too much orchestra and too many acoustic breaks, but you are a good composer.

Magero
07-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Blah. Damn you, I just opened the first one, A Systematic Reversal of Everything You Thought You Knew about Anything, and I am already amazed.

Have high expectations for the rest but don't have time to listen just yet, it's really late. Will edit this with crit later, don't really have time to just right now but yeah. :)
Haha, ASROEYTYKAA is like, the only song in there that ISN'T my normal style :haha
I didn't really like it, too orchestral and all for me. Just not my style, too much orchestra and too many acoustic breaks, but you are a good composer.
Fair enough :)
Thanks for taking the time and the compliment though.

Magero
09-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Guitar pro 5.2 tabs have been updated with a new song and 2 songs have been updated, the GP4 and midis haven't been updated yet.

HeavyMetaldude
09-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Defleshed was not lng enough. MAKE IT LONGER! :cry:
I'll edit this post as i listen to more of them, and actually crit.