Jazz kinda thing (GP5)

PDA

View Full Version : Jazz kinda thing (GP5)

Skater901
07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Ok, so I came up with what I thought would be a cool progression this afternoon in class. Yes I'd finished all my work so I could make up progressions if I wanted to. Anyway, I started messing around with it, with the chords on a piano cause I thought it'd sound cool, bass playing the root notes, and some jazzy sort of drumming. I put it together, started putting a bit of lead guitar over the top, but now I think it sounds crap. So I put it to you people to ask your opinion. Is it crap and I should just give up? Is it crap at the moment but could be made to sound good? Is it good already? Thoughts please.

icronic
07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
You know, chances are if you hate something you wrote, it's probably pretty good.

I think it's something that most people go through, it's just too hard to objectively listen to something we've written ourselves. People always seem to hear the faults of what they've written and not the strength.

That said, there's nothing wrong with what you've written. It's a good progression, and a really great platform to write cool and interesting guitar parts.

If you end up continuing with this, I might suggest picking up the bass a bit. Playing just the root is fine for an opening, but you've got so much room to move around in that progression that you might as well make use of it with all your instruments.

Garb
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Gp4 please? =) Or at least a MIDI? lol

darth awsome
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
That is a pretty interesting set of changes. The first part is just a minor 2-5-1 in F#. If you switched the G#m7-9 to a m7b5 it would probably sound better. The E6 changes key because its not a dominant so your now in E major. That is, untill you hit the E9 and you move the key back the F# minor.

All of that may be completly wrong if the chords I figured out are not right.

I got These

G#m7-9/C#m7/F#m9/E6/B11/B11/E9/E9

The only things I would say would be work on the turnaround and walk the Bass. I think you should write a cool head over these changes. I has potential for a cool song.

Remember when your soloing: "Play a wrong note once and its a mistake. Play it twice and its Jazz."- Miles Davis

Crit mine? Its a Little different in style but still worth a look I think. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914350

Skater901
07-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey thanks guys. :) I've noted what you've all said, and I'll definitely try to work on the things you mentioned. The main things that I didn't like were some of the chord voicings, and the plain boring rhythm of the piano. Unfortunately I don't have much experience in writing music in this genre, so I'm finding it pretty difficult.

About the chords, well I was planning on the whole thing being in E Major, but I suppose that works too. :p: Although, I don't know if you'd modulate during a progression. In that case it's called tonicization I do believe. Wiki it.

Oh and I wasn't really putting this up here for a crit 4 crit kinda thing, more just asking if it was crap or not. :p: But cause I'm a nice guy I'll crit yours too. ;) And considering some of the stuff I've heard on here I'd probably be missing out if I didn't check it out.

Thanks again guys. :cheers:

darth awsome
07-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Changing keys in mid progression if perfectly fine. John Coltrane's Giant Steps changes keys 4 times in one repeat. You just have to concentrate a little harder when your improvising.

Skater901
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Changing keys in mid progression if perfectly fine. John Coltrane's Giant Steps changes keys 4 times in one repeat. You just have to concentrate a little harder when your improvising.
Ahhh, Giant Steps. I think I prefer the Bela Fleck & Victor Wooten cover of that to the original, but they're both good. But that's nutty. Silly jazz musicians with their complex stuff. :peace:

Oh and I didn't get time to crit your song earlier. I'll go and do that now.