Are most guitarists/musicians antisocial?

PDA

View Full Version : Are most guitarists/musicians antisocial?

guitardude34875
07-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I've been thinking lately, and I realized that a lot of guitarists(like pro guitarists, not n00bs that do it to get laid) are kinda shy. And since I have started to play, I've become more antisocial. Like for instance, I was at this show last night, and I went to talk to the guitarist, said good show, nice playin, blah blah blah, and he seemed kinda shy. Granted, he probably didn't have time to talk, but I also met this guy at my pool who plays professionally, and he seemed very shy around my dad. He just kinda nooded a lot.

With that said, almighty pit, do you think that guitarists, or musicians overall, are kind of antisocial about their playing?

Poll comin up...

mrwaffles
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
I am kinda social. I won't go out of my way to be social, but if someone talks to me, I'll respond and be nice and whatnot...

Van Halen Man
07-25-2008, 08:03 PM
I know I certainly am. I don't often leave my house. But I CAN be social, I just don't see a need for it...I am kinda shy in face to face situations. But on UG I am fine just because I can take the time to think about what I am gonna say/type...

GoodCharloteSux
The guitar gives a lot of people the opportunity to\ be the opposite of their personality, if they are shy. I think its a nice mix, not everyone is going to be balls to the wall or insanely social.

aedmiston
I've seen it go both ways. I think it has more to do with the personality of the individual than it does with the fact that they play guitar

bizzle06
I agree with you man, I know a few professional musicians and they are very humble about there talents, etc...

studioworks700s
i usually dont start conversations but i will talk if someone strikes up a convo

urik
07-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Could be. We musicians aren't men of words.

maggot9779
07-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't call myself antisocial but I don't talk much unless I have something to talk about lol

Td_Nights
07-25-2008, 08:07 PM
If someone comments my playing, I'll nod or something, maybe a bit of talking.

I'm just not comfortable talking to people I don't know, even if they're not saying anything mean or impolite to me. I'd rather just play my instruments and sit at home.

Slash 602
07-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm pretty antisocial anyway, but especially after I play at a show or something when people I barely know come up to talk to me. They'll say "Dude, that was awesome", and I'll be like "Uh.. right".

meh!
07-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I always hate being told I was good by audience members. It's embarssing, because in my head their compliment means nothing, as I don't rate their opinion as being informed so compliments are just them saying 'i liked your thing', which is ok, but why can't they say that?

/odd complaint

spiderjerusalem
07-25-2008, 08:13 PM
plenty of guitarists kindof hide behind their guitars onstage so it makes sense.

but seriously, its more of just how the person is. plenty of guitarists are total hoes

icronic
07-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Well this is kind of misleading. I think a lot of musicians tend to be slightly anti-social at gigs. I know I am. I'm not rude or anything like that, but I tend to make less effort at conversation than I would in a normal social situation.

It's a fairly simply reason too. Everyone says the same bloody thing, week by week night by night. It's really difficult to get involved in a conversation when you're having it for the 100th time of the year.

Think about the real pros, the guys who are famous. There is nothing you could possibly say to them that they haven't heard a million times. Unless for some reason you decided to talk about your recent battle with testicular cancer and how their music inspired you to live, and even then there's still a 50/50 chance they've heard that one before too.

So yeah, it's not that musicians are anti-social normally, it's just at gigs.

lordofthefood1
07-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Being shy and antisocial are not the same thing at all
they can actually be very far apart

Being antisocial is being against society.
If you are very outspoken about how much you hate people and society, you wouldn't be shy
though you can be shy and antisocial

I kind of dislike this misconception (I like using the "popular" version of it too
instead of the actual [psychological] meaning of antisocial)

SinisterScythe
07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
No, I talk a lot well..that depends. My other friends are way talkative. so i'd say sometimes.

ldl67
07-25-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure.. Though I am certainly like that....

Ur all $h1t
07-25-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't know how anyone who is shy could write songs and get up and play them.
I couldn't if I were shy. It might be different 'cause I'm a singer too so you're right out there in front.

af_the_fragile
07-25-2008, 08:45 PM
I dunno... right now i kinda feel like a serial killer... Disconnected.

freddaahh
07-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I could probably be seen as antisocial, but I'm able to turn it on and off, some days I will not speak to anyone at all and just play guitar and watch Black Books all day; but other days I could be out for hours talking to anyone I make eye contact with. Kind of like tonight, I got back from a grimy gig at a local dive, mosh pits are great places to make friends.

smb
07-25-2008, 08:56 PM
since I have started to play, I've become more antisocialYou're committing the fallacy "post hoc ergo propter hoc"

I expect you're just a geeky teenager and playing guitar is not responsible for your lack of social skills.

Underjoggle
07-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Bucketheadlol

Dionietzsche
07-25-2008, 09:04 PM
The great ones seem to be: Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Page (wow, lots of Jims. Another correlation? jk), Roger Waters, and probably a ton of others. I know I'm incredibly shy. I think a certain amount of creativity comes from being so different from everyone else that even casual conversation becomes difficult.

pandasxsharpies
07-25-2008, 09:08 PM
i am super social...
but lately i havent felt a need to talk much, even though i do so anyways.
its almost like you dont need to strive for attention, and something clicks saying okay you dont have to be so social now

Surfer Rosa
07-25-2008, 09:13 PM
I would say that I've become more anti-social since I've gotten serious about my music.It's just a sacrifice I was happy to make to help my musicianship.I know a lot of people like this as well.

I'm not shy around people though, I think that just depends on personality.

British_Steal
07-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm shy with people I don't know

not so much with people I do know.

guitardude34875
07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
You're committing the fallacy "post hoc ergo propter hoc"

I expect you're just a geeky teenager and playing guitar is not responsible for your lack of social skills.

well, that too, i guess, but I've found times where I want people who I would normally talk to to leave me alone cuz I'm playing my guitar, so that's why I say that

Surfer Rosa
07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
The great ones seem to be: Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Page (wow, lots of Jims. Another correlation? jk), Roger Waters, and probably a ton of others. I know I'm incredibly shy. I think a certain amount of creativity comes from being so different from everyone else that even casual conversation becomes difficult.

That does make sense in a way ... well I liked it

byakuya08
07-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Im anti-social as sh*it but yet i like to tell jokes and make mass amounts of ppl laugh/happy, but yet i dont like ppl, so i conflict with myself everytime i walk out the door.

SathiaSun
07-25-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty antisocial, but outgoing given the right circumstances and being around people I feel comfortable with.

Actually, I'm not really afraid of people. I'll do what I want except I don't really like to talk to new people.

Dionietzsche
07-25-2008, 09:20 PM
That does make sense in a way ... well I liked it

I'm glad. Sometimes I'm so different I don't make any sense at all :haha , so its good to see I got my message across. :)

Mackawade
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I think they are just more comfortable with a guitar in front of themselves, when you remove the guitar they get shy.

XxRustInPeacexX
07-25-2008, 09:30 PM
some poeple think im quiet.. but im really not.. i just dont talk when i have nothing to say

SaulHudson#2
07-25-2008, 09:38 PM
yeah, when someone congratulates me about my playing or something the conversation usually ends pretty soon, i just dont really like talking myself up or anything, and im not the greatest at accepting compliments, usually ill just nod and say thanks. but i have seen other guitarists i know be the opposite

Shayne777
07-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Could be. We musicians aren't men of words.

what about vocalists?

i am pretty shy but i don't think thats cause of guitar i just have alawys been like that but i have noticed not alot of guitarist brag unless they are famous

mercedesisbenz
07-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Derek Sivers and Steve Vai both have very introverted personalities from what I understand.

actaderock
07-25-2008, 10:16 PM
man even if the guy is reallly reallly really but really shy, guitars are pussy magnets (well, if you play it good).

Personally i am shy, but not that much, i just get nervous with women sometimes, no, actually lots of times.

DeAd-RiP
07-26-2008, 02:33 AM
well......im a bass player and i can play rhythm and write music and i wouldnt call myself shy or anti social completely but i know kids who will get up infront of people with their guitars infront of em but in other situations they are more or less ****ed

Pauldapro
07-26-2008, 02:57 AM
some poeple think im quiet.. but im really not.. i just dont talk when i have nothing to say

Dude, I'm the same as you! :D

Stop screwing around and taking my excuse for my stupid antisocial/shy behavior! :mad: