Strings for Low Tuning

PDA

View Full Version : Strings for Low Tuning

shadowsoldier08
07-26-2008, 02:38 AM
long story short, i play deathcore w/e **** on a 6-string guitar, not fun. now until i get enough money for a 7 string, i need some better strings that arent as loose when i tune down to drop-A/B. i have d'addario xl115's or somethin like that now, but i wanna know what strings would be better. not just what gauge/sets (as they vary from brand to brand), but what company would bring the best quality as well. thanks in advance.

bjovi400
07-26-2008, 02:40 AM
just get thick guage strings. it doesnt matter what brand, because any set will sound like complete **** that low, and especially through a VK

shadowsoldier08
07-26-2008, 02:45 AM
well if you want to buy me a better amp your more than welcome to

MESAexplorer
07-26-2008, 02:47 AM
just get thick guage strings. it doesnt matter what brand, because any set will sound like complete **** that low, and especially through a VK

Just because you don't tune down that low doesn't make it wrong, or bad.

I would make yourself a custom set of strings at www.juststrings.com An exaggerated set of skinny top heavy bottoms would be ideal.

Lets say 11-14-18-34-46-58

Or the Zakk Wylde GHS Boomer pack.

binkythefurious
07-26-2008, 02:50 AM
I had Ernie Ball 11-54 for drop-B, but use that gauge for drop-C# nowadays, but even then in drop-B they were "satisfactory" and had quite a bit of clarity, even after a couple of months. But I would recommend something like 12-58 unless you don't mind a bit of slack. Never tuned to drop-A so can't help you there

abyss257
07-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Hell, I use a 70 for my low A on my seven. I would hate using something as flabby as a 54. I generally use thick strings, though.

MESAexplorer
07-26-2008, 02:55 AM
Hell, I use a 70 for my low A on my seven. I would hate using something as flabby as a 54. I generally use thick strings, though.

You should get a baritone scale 7 string. You'll consider downsizing that 70 when it gets some tension on it ;)

bjovi400
07-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Just because you don't tune down that low doesn't make it wrong, or bad.

I would make yourself a custom set of strings at www.juststrings.com An exaggerated set of skinny top heavy bottoms would be ideal.

Lets say 11-14-18-34-46-58

Or the Zakk Wylde GHS Boomer pack.
um i ocasionally tune to b standard, and i normally use D'adderio 11's. IMO tuning that low doesnt sound the greatest. sorry

abyss257
07-26-2008, 02:58 AM
You should get a baritone scale 7 string. You'll consider downsizing that 70 when it gets some tension on it ;)

Right now my main 7 is the Schecter Loomis. It's not baritone, but it does have a 26.5" scale. I'm kind of going a bit less as far as my string guage is concerned. I used 70-75 a lot, but now I'm using a 65.

abyss257
07-26-2008, 03:00 AM
um i ocasionally tune to b standard, and i normally use D'adderio 11's. IMO tuning that low doesnt sound the greatest. sorry

You haven't ventured much into the realm of bands using detuned guitars, have you?
There's a ton of great sounding (tone-wise) bands that use 7s and detuned 6 string guitars

MESAexplorer
07-26-2008, 03:15 AM
^+1

Either your amplifier doesn't project those tunings well, you don't know how to EQ it, or you're just not into low tuning.

11's aren't what I would consider heavy either. The high strings are thick, and the low ones are thin... I just don't see the point in 11's, 12's, 13's etc... they make it harder to play without beefing up your sound.

Like I said, skinny top heavy bottom. Exaggerate it a bit with custom guages from just strings, you will be fine.

Goldenglove
07-26-2008, 04:59 AM
I played in Drop-A while using Ernie Balls Beefy Slinky and Not Even Slinky sets. Sounded good, but I had some horrible tuning problems - my first guitar wasn't quite suited for such stuff.
But the strings themselves were fine.

darth awsome
07-26-2008, 10:15 AM
I would say just don't tune so low.

Im my opinion tuning that low is just an excuse for not being able to write heavy riffs. Look at Opeth. They're in standard and Heir Apperent is one of the heavyest songs I've heard (that wasn't Meshugga). Between the Buried and Me are plenty heavy as well and they are in drop Drop C#(half a step down from Drop D). Tuning so low robs you of your Higher register, ruins your intonation, and invades on the bassists territory. You can achive a heavyer sound by having both guitarists play the same thing, have the Kick drum follow the bass, have a riff in the higher registers then return to the lower register to shock the listeners. The lowest I would go would be C# standard. That way you can solo with out sounding stupid because your high strings aren't high.

But if you must tune to drop blehgg, I would say get some Zakk Wylde boomers. a Friend of mine uses them on his drop A guitar and its pretty steady. Or you could buy a set of strings for a seven string and throw out the High e

nickbob00
07-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I would get a 7 string set and not use the high e
Otherwise, i would purchase strings in the gauge of the bottom 6 strings from replacements

bjoern_swe
07-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Tuning so low robs you of your Higher register, ruins your intonation, and invades on the bassists territory.
This, friend, is what 7-strings are made for ;)

personally, I love tuning down my 7 to A#-standard or drop-A. The thing you say about "you can be heavy in E-standard as well", well, you can write just as heavy riffs in B-standard. the only difference is that it would sound a lot cooler than in E ;)

Ah, opinions, opinions

burrrandon
07-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Dean Markley Meds - The Purple Ones!

ugmung
07-26-2008, 06:04 PM
i used baritone strings for my six once, it was pretty nice. but i mainly used the Ernie Ball's Not Even Slinky 12-56

darth awsome
07-26-2008, 06:23 PM
This, friend, is what 7-strings are made for ;)

personally, I love tuning down my 7 to A#-standard or drop-A. The thing you say about "you can be heavy in E-standard as well", well, you can write just as heavy riffs in B-standard. the only difference is that it would sound a lot cooler than in E ;)

Ah, opinions, opinions

Well said sir.

And I have no problem with drop A on a 7 stiring but on a sixer its just too much in my opinion. The cons outweigh the pros to tuning so low on a six string. I would much rather my leads stick out of the mix and have some range than tune down an extra semi-tone or two.

Zoso1392
07-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Check out the GHS Thick N' Thins. I use them and they do great during down tuning.

zhille
11-17-2009, 10:28 AM
I have an Ibanez 6 string with a 25,5" scale neck tuned down to B all fourths tuning - BEADGC and I have made a custom string set out of Zakk Wylde .75 boomers. I replased the third string(It's D in my tuning) with a wound .24, and moved the plain steel third string from the set to be the second one, in my case G, and the second one to be the first one.

The all fourths tuning provides a little more tension than regular. You'll be better with a fixed bridge...I had a lot of trouble with string ringing, and hat to put some tin-foil below that thingy on the bottom of the neck on which the strings are spaced, I really don't know how to say it in English...I used that to raise the action a little bit on the zero-fret side of the neck. It helped a lot.

BTW, I can't understand the people who thrash low tunings with those "your lead won't stand out" remarks...I most probably don't want to solo on a six string in a G#, A, A#, or B - I want to play fat ass chugs and riffage. If anyone wants to solo with a low tuning, he/she should buy an ERG with 8 strings, tune it to standard F# or F and problem solved, you have your Highs back :). Or buy an octave pedal or whammy pedal :)

The problem is of course, those toys are really expensive! So we ERG-people have to use whatever we have...

Yngwi3
11-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Meshuggah.

It's all in the EQ and the time you spend making it sound good.

Anyway, I'd listen to MESAexplorer :cheers:

Im my opinion tuning that low is just an excuse for not being able to write heavy riffs.

May I refer you to Derek's quote in my signature.