Help With A New Idea

PDA

View Full Version : Help With A New Idea

Caramello Ruell
07-30-2008, 01:17 AM
hallo! how are you? i have started writing a song, its sorta soft acoustic with like a californiacation feel if youget what i mean?

i know i havent done much but i just need a good solid chord progression

so far i love the sound of

||: C|Em|F|G :||

it just works really well, and can anyone give me someideas for more chord progressions?

the drums are simple backbeat nothing complicated with a closed hi hat, i want the bass to have a pretty cool part and not just standard boring stuff

thanks if you can help =)

nickkkk
07-30-2008, 05:06 PM
post it in power tab or guitar pro 5 and i will help you out

Ailes
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
chord progression reminds me of a lovely oldie song, the name is at the tip of my tongue, but right now I can't remember it. I'm sure everybody has this sometimes, it's frustrating.

As the poster above said, it would be beneficial for us (and for you, because you get more responses that way), if you post a midi / powertab / guitar pro version of the song, so everybody can directly hear what you intend, and what style/setting you want.

As for further development of the song ? How about making a bridge or something in the relative minor of the key ? (that would be Am) A time-honed move which can spice things up. Something like Am-Dm-G-Dm would add nicely to the song.

Anyways, can't say much more, depending on the rather sparse source. Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't really >have< to have a hundred chords in a song. If the 3, 4 chords you have are good, keep at it. What you really need is a strong melody on top of it - and if you have >melodic< ideas, the chord progressions will come naturally to you.
Also, remember that you can create variety in a song not only harmonically (= bringing in new chords, or at least different voicings/fingerings of the same chords) but also rhythmically and dynamically. What that means is that, if you can help it, you shouldn't always simply strum the same chords in the same rhythm - how about starting it with arpeggiated chords or fingerpicking patterns, and saving the strumming for the chorus etc. That way you develop a dynamic range level with low and high intensity (instead of just strumming -> always the same intensity -> boring) which makes even the most standart chord progression sound interesting. With all of this interspersed you can (if the song calls for it) incorporate some kind of instrumental 'hookline' - a particular bassline riff or a specific melodic picking pattern, etc, whatever to break up the monotony and make your song sound more special

Caramello Ruell
07-30-2008, 06:18 PM
i will get to work on this! thanks alot for the ideas specially about the relative minor key ;D