Magic Johnson will Survive the Nuclear Holocaust [GP5/4/MIDI]

PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson will Survive the Nuclear Holocaust [GP5/4/MIDI]

Thomasoman
07-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeahh..

It's pretty much everywhere, style wise.

gordonbombay
07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
yea i'd say so....interesting

how long does something like that take to make??

CapnKickass
07-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Cool awesome and neat, Breakdown B I like.

cubfan1091
07-30-2008, 02:19 PM
i like it

Its_Rock77
07-30-2008, 03:05 PM
awesome song. most of it meshed together really nicely.

When it switched to 3/4 it was amazing to hear. :)

leo_p8
07-30-2008, 03:30 PM
The intro and bridge were the strongest binding sections in the song... the drum variation near the end wasn't that good... it stole the riff from its force IMO. The major fault here are your transitions, they are, as is, non-existent except for a few attempts with the drums. I think it has some potential... it's just too simple and the harmonies aren't thought out as much as you could.

Finish it, then re-post.

Best of luck.

Ailes
07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey,

nice thing. I like it more than your other recent works, so far. Though it really feels unfinished, as the transitions are not developed, and the parts lack a bit structure (and I believe the incomplete bass and acoustic track is another sign that this may still be in the works). Regarding the style mesh you do, with the electronic/synthetic keys etc. (not particularly fond of those), well it's hit-and-miss, and it's not often that I personally feel it "hits". If I may inquire, do your bandmembers compose or share input with you or do you do it all alone ? As the first case would explain the variable distribution of quality (some of your songs are really strong, professional and thouroughly composed, other stuff sounds halfassed, dodgy and boring).

As far as this particular piece is concerned, it feels as if there are some good ideas buried but sadly underdeveloped. The intro thing for example I could see expand into some more adventurous hardcore ala Misery Signals (if you haven't already done so, check their gp-tabs at UG, I'm sure it will bring heaps of inspiration for you). Verse, for example, then plays it ridiculously safe with a bland metalcore riff that killed any hope I had for this being some good melodic posthardcore. Even that notwithstanding, the drums, for example are rather weak - if you want to keep it, the whole package should punch more.
Same with breakdown A. Now I've heard this thing, with exactly the same interval, done 100+ times here and everywhere. Personally, if I would still want to do that, at least offer something rhythmically interesting, oddmeters etc or make it more harmonically interesting (other melodic bits than just the same instrument). And again, drums feel too weak to me.
Little flashes of interesting and adventurous harmonies (like bar 61/63) are sadly underdeveloped in favor of more of the same-old-same-old. The "post hardcore movement", another example of this. The sliding/picking figure is interesting, would set itself up for a nice clean break (and again, shows promise composing beyond standart stuff), but the backing was rather arkward. Later on some nice interplay with the other guitar. Breakdown B again needlessly squandered good ideas (the orchestrated backdrop, for example) by a weak drum execution. It would punch much more if you had crash cymbals on all fourths (instead of halves) and a snare on every third of each bar (instead of the arkward distribution it has now, which prevents any headboppin' groove from developing).
The 3/4 thing was a good idea, and well I could copypaste my general criticisms so far: more punching drums, well and a bass track would help fatten things up a bit, first guitar should use bigger chords in case you're aiming for that "epic outro" thing, and the second guitar could play something else (octave chords 'll do fine) on top to make the arrangement bigger.
Well, in conclusion, it's quite a mix of styles, which of course I should come to expect by now, but too often this stuff misses the mark (some of your older stuff however I liked very much, and ironically felt more mature than your recent output). I mean, by any means keep doing what you do, someday you may find the right balance that makes your style come alive (again, just in my personal feeling, which of course you should disregard completely if you like what you do). I'd advise, for example (and not just out of a loathing of synth stuff) that you rather develop the guitar riffs at first until they're completely fat and punchy, and then add the keys rather on top

Thomasoman
07-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey,

nice thing. I like it more than your other recent works, so far. Though it really feels unfinished, as the transitions are not developed, and the parts lack a bit structure (and I believe the incomplete bass and acoustic track is another sign that this may still be in the works). Regarding the style mesh you do, with the electronic/synthetic keys etc. (not particularly fond of those), well it's hit-and-miss, and it's not often that I personally feel it "hits". If I may inquire, do your bandmembers compose or share input with you or do you do it all alone ? As the first case would explain the variable distribution of quality (some of your songs are really strong, professional and thouroughly composed, other stuff sounds halfassed, dodgy and boring).

Hey there Ailes! First off thanks for the massive, detailed crit. I havn't gotten something this thorough for a long time, and I definitely needed it. To answer your question, I'm the only one in my band with any ounce of theory knowledge. (literally an ounce, I don't know much at all except what sounds good to me) Basically, what I do is write the framework of a sing, and my band members tell me what they want to hear without me actually being able to hear it myself, so I have to use guesswork with what they want. Most of the time I'm pleased with the results, and I'd really love to develop this Electronic style blend into something concrete. The stuff that comes together nicely of mine are the songs that I write in styles that I'm completely comfortable writing in, but don't like listening to the completed songs, if you can kind of understand what I mean. Take for instance, that one pop-rock kind of song I wrote, called 'This Symphony Has a Breaking Point'. I believe thats one of the more thoroughly composed works of mine, and yet the sound and vibe it gives me completely puts me off, even though I wrote it. It's just not what I'm feeling, and I think my problem is conveying what I -am- feeling. I've been trying for a long time now, but I don't think I'm really succeeding. I'm going to keep at it though.

As far as this particular piece is concerned, it feels as if there are some good ideas buried but sadly underdeveloped. The intro thing for example I could see expand into some more adventurous hardcore ala Misery Signals (if you haven't already done so, check their gp-tabs at UG, I'm sure it will bring heaps of inspiration for you). Verse, for example, then plays it ridiculously safe with a bland metalcore riff that killed any hope I had for this being some good melodic posthardcore. Even that notwithstanding, the drums, for example are rather weak - if you want to keep it, the whole package should punch more.

See, the problem with me and drums are that I don't play them. I've never once played them. I've talked to my drummer about it enough but it's still really hit-and-miss with them. Sometimes I get it right. Sometimes, they just don't work. I've gotten used to that, and the drums are the one thing that usually drasticly change when I get the music out of Guitar Pro and into practices, once my drummer gets ahold of it and does his thing.

Same with breakdown A. Now I've heard this thing, with exactly the same interval, done 100+ times here and everywhere. Personally, if I would still want to do that, at least offer something rhythmically interesting, oddmeters etc or make it more harmonically interesting (other melodic bits than just the same instrument). And again, drums feel too weak to me.

Little flashes of interesting and adventurous harmonies (like bar 61/63) are sadly underdeveloped in favor of more of the same-old-same-old. The "post hardcore movement", another example of this. The sliding/picking figure is interesting, would set itself up for a nice clean break (and again, shows promise composing beyond standart stuff), but the backing was rather arkward. Later on some nice interplay with the other guitar. Breakdown B again needlessly squandered good ideas (the orchestrated backdrop, for example) by a weak drum execution. It would punch much more if you had crash cymbals on all fourths (instead of halves) and a snare on every third of each bar (instead of the arkward distribution it has now, which prevents any headboppin' groove from developing).
The 3/4 thing was a good idea, and well I could copypaste my general criticisms so far: more punching drums, well and a bass track would help fatten things up a bit, first guitar should use bigger chords in case you're aiming for that "epic outro" thing, and the second guitar could play something else (octave chords 'll do fine) on top to make the arrangement bigger.
Well, in conclusion, it's quite a mix of styles, which of course I should come to expect by now, but too often this stuff misses the mark (some of your older stuff however I liked very much, and ironically felt more mature than your recent output). I mean, by any means keep doing what you do, someday you may find the right balance that makes your style come alive (again, just in my personal feeling, which of course you should disregard completely if you like what you do). I'd advise, for example (and not just out of a loathing of synth stuff) that you rather develop the guitar riffs at first until they're completely fat and punchy, and then add the keys rather on top

Funny enough, my older stuff is the stuff I wrote completely on my own. But that whole style of mine was starting to feel way too safe. So I've been branching out into whatever direction strikes me. I'm sure eventually I'll get something solid going, just like I did before. But thanks alot for the critisism, this really helps me, and I'll definitely come back to this piece to make some changes according to your suggestions.

billybusa
07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
^^ haha holy ****

I like it, alot

leo_p8
08-02-2008, 01:13 AM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't hate me!!!

...I really thought the song had A LOT of potential... so I went back to it last night and made it more "me" and more "commercial"... I'm not saying it's perfect (because I am not, and I won't pretend to), or that it's better than yours in any way... it's just that I wanted to show you what I would do with it.

In my previous post mentioned harmonies, drumming and transitions... I didn't get them all how I wanted them... but I can't take anymore time to do them... so... just check "my" version of YOUR song see if you can see where I (personally) would take it... your taste will (obviously) be different from mine, but I tried to be as broad with all the small details in there.

Cheers... I hope it's of some/any use to you... if at least to make you laugh at me :D

Best of luck, bud.