The p0nx biking thread

PDA

View Full Version : The p0nx biking thread

gopherthegreat
07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
I stole this idea from matt's thread in the pit. I've noticed the people in this forum seem to love biking and do it a lot (me included), so i thought I'd make a thread about it.

So............discuss!

PinkInPretty
07-30-2008, 06:48 PM
This better not turn into a hipster thread.

Rankles
07-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I thought this was going to be a parody of the punks with phones thread.

BrianApocalypse
07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm sure that the issue we'd all like to debate is:

Is it punk to have spokey wokes?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/106906867_8bc7345a5f.jpg?v=0

sargasm
07-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Right now I've got a mountain bike, which is pretty nice but I'd rather have a cool road bike. I think I'm going to build a road bike out of recycled parts at the bike co-op here and then sell my mountain bike.

I went to my first critical mass here last Friday and that was pretty fun. It's not that big here, but there's still enough people to make it a good time.

Ska Wars
07-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Skateboards > bikes.

lolmnt
07-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Right now I've got a mountain bike, which is pretty nice but I'd rather have a cool road bike. I think I'm going to build a road bike out of recycled parts at the bike co-op here and then sell my mountain bike.

I went to my first critical mass here last Friday and that was pretty fun. It's not that big here, but there's still enough people to make it a good time.I want to go to a Critical Mass. I'm sure there's one in Orlando, but it would probably be counter productive to drive an hour over there.

I'm getting a bike for my birthday. Suggestions?Skateboards > bikes.I haven't skated for almost three years. I sold my skateboard to my friend and never looked back. I still watch skate videos, but I have no desire to skate.

yeahyeah
07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
This better not turn into a hipster thread.
mah hipster-mobile:
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/3/20080424april20080031ev8.jpg
:peace:
We don't really have hipsters in my town though
Just got some new clips and waiting on new pedals for that bike

and my new bike:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1802/bike010gb1.jpg

waterproofpie
07-30-2008, 07:37 PM
I enjoy both but ...

Running > Biking

up da aerobic p0nx.

prplhazed
07-30-2008, 07:49 PM
My bike got stolen at noon in front of a coffee shop in a really nice part of town....
:(

the stupid thing is mine was old, used and cheap, and my dad's was right there and worth 5x as much but they stole mine

yeahyeah
07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
How did you lock it? I pretty much always use two good locks if I'm gonna be away from my bike for any length of time. It's worked so far but I figure that I'll have a bike stolen sooner or later. Check your renter's/homeowner's insurance to see if your bike was covered

Also- tr00 p0nxx ride on the street, not sidewalk so everyone read this stuff:
http://bicyclesafe.com/

crustyreed
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Man nice new bike!!!

My mountain bike deceased on a trip back from the grocery store earlier this summer (i've been bikeless for a month!!!) I'm still trying to figure out how the hell to fix it.

But yeah, i definitely want a road bike for the.. road biking...

Iluvpowerchords
07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I been aching for a Moped for AGES.

There are so many loopholes to owning them.

No inspections or titles!

I have a hot lead on one now. I will obv. post it if I manage to purchase it.

I don't like biking cuz my town is waaaay too hilly for human power. Plus I ain't gettin' sweaty on my way to the movies/work/a freind's...

Wookiedude
07-30-2008, 09:21 PM
I enjoy both but ...

Running > Biking

up da aerobic p0nx.

the 1500m dash is way p0nx

Side note: the 20k race walk is the first track event of the olympics

neidnarb11890
07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Damn, that sounds neat. I might be interested in getting one.

And what's with road bikes? You can ride them on roads with cars or something?

I'm absolutely terrible with all forms of transportation...I failed the drivers test in school twice. :/ And I studied the driver's manual for like 2 days and my friend looked at for like 5 minutes and...blah.
Road bikes are made for riding on roads, where as mountain bikes are made for off-roading. Duh. :p:

waterproofpie
07-30-2008, 09:33 PM
1500m = totally not a dash.

/me is a middle distance runner , but also participates in 5Ks and 8 mile runs.

Wookiedude
07-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I guess it depends who is running the 1500

but seriously the 3200m is superior to every other race

lolmnt
07-30-2008, 09:40 PM
You can ride any bike on the road legally

waterproofpie
07-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Well if by dash, you mean sprint...then the 1500m is by no way, shape, or form a dash.

p.s. Ryan Hall = gonna pwn da olympics.

RizzoWashburn
07-30-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm not watching the olympics or supporting any of their sponsors until Tibet is free.

Iluvpowerchords
07-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Another offer popped up on my local craigslist. :)

'cept the guy wants $750 which is kind of high.

I lowballed him and asked for $450-500 *-)

I hope some ignant retard doesn't actually give him $750 before I can come to a deal.

yeahyeah
07-30-2008, 09:55 PM
You can ride any bike on the road legally
Yup- road bikes are just much more efficient and handle better than other bikes on a road surface.

gopherthegreat
07-30-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not watching the olympics or supporting any of their sponsors until Tibet is free.
+1

crustyreed
07-30-2008, 09:59 PM
But can you ride them on the road with cars, legally? Or is it just for bike lanes?

A road near my girlfriend's house is the only place I've ever seen a bike lane aha. I didn't even know they existed until about a month ago.

The way i have always understood it is.
Mountain bikes: made for hills and off road.
Racing bikes: made for hills, on cement and speed.
Road: Short travels, roads, less hilly.
then bmx whatevers.

neidnarb11890
07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey guys! I just got this moped on craigslist for $750!

Score!
I lol'd

Ska Wars
07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
I have a BMX bike, but the tire popped when I did a really sloppy bunny hop a few years ago...

Iluvpowerchords
07-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey guys! I just got this moped on craigslist for $750!

Score!

:haha

:mad:

RockThe40oz
07-30-2008, 10:04 PM
I have a BMX bike, but the tire popped when I did a really sloppy bunny hop a few years ago...

I gave away my BMX bike because I stopped riding it when I got a car last year.

Iluvpowerchords
07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
When I went to the beach last week I found an old BMX bike near my hotel.

The chain was incredibly rusted and it had no brakes at all but I rode it everywhere.

Even at night. Until a cop told me I needed a light (there are no helmets laws for motorcycles in Delaware and yet there are light laws for bikes :confused: )

The town was totally flat and I biked on like the busiest highway in Delaware. I went to Salvation Army and bought a killer sweater for five bucks.

I was in full hipster mode that week. And I didn't even mind getting sweaty cuz the ocean was nice and cold for after.

I put the bike back everytime just in case someone did own it. It was real commie stylee. *-)

If I lived there...

I'd probably still ride a scooter/moped...

But biking would be alot more appealing. :)

Wookiedude
07-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Im pretty sure they just call all track races a dash

Im not so sure about Ryan Hall and the olympics. Those Kenyans are pretty good.

Zero Substance
07-30-2008, 10:30 PM
http://a451.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/128/l_9ff1b4d76324628580bd2f9ae785f4ba.jpg
my fixed gear/city bike. it has bar tape and the saddle is better adjusted now. this is just a pic i took as soon as i finished building it. i also have a mountain bike and then a trek 1500 road bike for, you guessed it, road biking.

yeahyeah
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Cool bike^ What model did you convert?

original=punk
07-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm in dire need of a road bike, so I don't tire myself out by riding my BMX everywhere I go.

How much are they about?

Zero Substance
07-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Cool bike^ What model did you convert?

thanks man. its a 1979 raleigh record frame. it was originally grey. i redid the frame black but left the blue headtube.

I'm in dire need of a road bike, so I don't tire myself out by riding my BMX everywhere I go.

How much are they about?

if you look at bike shop clearances you can get good deals. my bike was 850 down from like 1500 and its got shimano 105 components and a carbon fork.

original=punk
07-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Do the seats have to be so ****ing uncomfortable? That's the only reeason why I've kept my bmx, because the seat doesn't hurt my ass.

I have a very bony ass, no fat or muscle on it at all.

yeahyeah
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
thanks man. its a 1979 raleigh record frame. it was originally grey. i redid the frame black but left the blue headtube.

if you look at bike shop clearances you can get good deals. my bike was 850 down from like 1500 and its got shimano 105 components and a carbon fork.
Nice on both.

^And I got my Peugeot for $10 which is about as low as an old road bike will go for and they go up to like over $10,000. You can usually snag a pretty nice 70s or 80s 10 speed for under $200 and have a very solid bike. Non ****ty new road bikes start at about $600.
Do the seats have to be so ****ing uncomfortable? That's the only reeason why I've kept my bmx, because the seat doesn't hurt my ass.

Bike saddles are actually counter intuitive because seats with too much padding are actually the ones that will do the most harm to your man bits. Saddles with little padding and a cutout are are the best if you're gonna be in the saddle for longer periods. Leather saddles are really comfy too, my Ideale fits my ass like a glove because it is so broken in.

Zero Substance
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM

i have a bony ass too, i know how you feel. mine has a relatively comfortable saddle. if you ride a lot, you will get used to it quickly and it won't hurt anymore.

Nice on both.

thanks man. i really like your peugeot too, its done well.

original=punk
07-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Well I'll try to get a new bike, maybe I'll sell both of mine, and pay for half, splitting with my dad, then work it off to pay the other half.

StreetLight3989
07-30-2008, 11:29 PM
I love my mountain bike, a road bike would pretty much suck here since there are so many hills and mountains but they do look cooler.

original=punk
07-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Hills and Mountains?

StreetLight3989
07-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Hills and Mountains?
Yes, there are hills and mountains in my area, it sucks major balls for biking.

yeahyeah
07-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Woot, time to ride 10 miles to mah friend's house!

actaderock
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
i live in a place where bmx and fast music (punk) rock

PinkInPretty
07-31-2008, 02:12 AM
This thread just might turn me off to this forum for good with all its hipster and trendy talk.

Sorry I just threw up.

yeahyeah
07-31-2008, 03:49 AM
This thread just might turn me off to this forum for good with all its hipster and trendy talk.

Sorry I just threw up.
Why the bike hate? Is the hipster/fixed gear thing really bad in Orange County?

PinkInPretty
07-31-2008, 03:51 AM
Why the bike hate? Is the hipster/fixed gear thing really bad in Orange County?

The worst.

yeahyeah
07-31-2008, 03:53 AM
Ah, then carry on with the hate. It hasn't really hit the valley yet, although it is trickling over because of our proximity to the bay area. Right now the only guys that I know riding fixed gears are punks so whateva

PinkInPretty
07-31-2008, 03:54 AM
Punks know better not to.

sargasm
07-31-2008, 04:38 AM
my fixed gear/city bike. it has bar tape and the saddle is better adjusted now. this is just a pic i took as soon as i finished building it. i also have a mountain bike and then a trek 1500 road bike for, you guessed it, road biking.

What's the advantage of having a fixed gear? I've always wondered. Are you a courier?

Dude, I knew this was your multi since yesterday but I was putting off banning you. This does it. Up the bike punx.

yeahyeah
07-31-2008, 04:59 AM
Fixed gears are nice for controlling your speed in high density traffic, wet weather and the sensation is really cool as well. I like riding mine around town because there is very little for a thief to steal and my town is flat so the single speed aspect is no biggie. Try one if you can, I don't think that they are as great or "zen like" as a lot of people do but I'm glad I have one.
check this site out too http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html
Sheldon Brown's site is pretty much the best biking resource on the web and there is a lot of single speed/ fixed gear info on it

blackflag49
07-31-2008, 05:15 AM
I've got a hybrid bike, best of both worlds... but I only ever ride it in the park.

sargasm
07-31-2008, 05:17 AM
I've been thinking of getting a utility bike.

Thin wheels for speed... Non-dropped handlebars for comfort... and a rack on the back for carrying stuff...

I'm leaning more towards a racing bike type thing though. I just want to go fast in the city.

axeslash
07-31-2008, 05:56 AM
I own a BMX bike I got when I was 10. I don't have the cash or the time to worry about getting a fancy-ass bike.

Adarsh
07-31-2008, 08:44 AM
I once won a local Coca-Cola competition and got a free bike; this was 5 years ago. It was bright red, had a nice big "Coke" sign on the wheel, and, well, I kept it shiny. Problem was, it was just a really really bad bike. The brakes were horrible, suspension was non-existant, and it was a pain to fill air into it, as it used some system that very few pumps had.....

I have a nice utility bike now, don't have a lock because nobody in my community uses bikes. Everyone here drives any distance more than 20 metres as it's too hot and/or they want to show off their big car. But I love my bike, use it to get everywhere.

FuzzyBear
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM
my brothers abit good on a bike

http://a802.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/100/l_6b36e44678dc3a66530691bf61de0e09.jpg

http://a940.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/99/l_beb0cff98ae15c4c41c40846da45d60b.jpg

http://a870.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/47/l_6b22b3f103bd5af1cf280da79bc08ee5.jpg

http://a382.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/13/l_deb370edc917a9c7e5aaf74ef2befe55.jpg

http://b3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00976/33/43/976773433_l.jpg

lolmnt
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
I know a kid that could be a professional bmx rider, but he's not motivated to try. He says he's too old and that they're are kids younger than him that are better than him. But he's gotten third in pro contests so I think he could do it

gopherthegreat
07-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I've been thinking of getting a utility bike.

Thin wheels for speed... Non-dropped handlebars for comfort... and a rack on the back for carrying stuff...
That sounds cool

I once won a local Coca-Cola competition and got a free bike; this was 5 years ago. It was bright red, had a nice big "Coke" sign on the wheel, and, well, I kept it shiny. Problem was, it was just a really really bad bike. The brakes were horrible, suspension was non-existant, and it was a pain to fill air into it, as it used some system that very few pumps had.....

I have a nice utility bike now, don't have a lock because nobody in my community uses bikes. Everyone here drives any distance more than 20 metres as it's too hot and/or they want to show off their big car. But I love my bike, use it to get everywhere.
:no:

KnupAkdov
07-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Do you guys not have a hipster/trendy scene in your cities? My God this bike trend you're all discussing is what the punks here fight with. Hippies, trendsters, hipsters, scensters.

So lame.

Zero Substance
07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
i ride bikes because its a cheap, easy, efficient way to get around. i didn't jump on the "trend". i started out mountain biking and it just went from there.

lolmnt
07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Bikes transcend all groups of people.

Zero Substance
07-31-2008, 06:08 PM
^exactly. and another thing, to KnupAkdov, what do you have against hippies?

KnupAkdov
07-31-2008, 06:10 PM
I ride a bike too. I don't get a hard on for fixed gears. I've actually rode one before when I had to go on a beer run with like 7 minutes left and my drummers roommates are a bunch of hipsters so I took their fixed gear. It was the worst ride I've ever had.

I'm just asking about your city because where I'm from only hipsters scensters trendies hippies and hate edge ride that shit.

EDIT: I'm just finding it hilarious and almost nauseous that theres punks who are flirting with this fixed gear trend when about my parts these are the people we don't get along with at all.

Zero Substance
07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
I ride a bike too. I don't get a hard on for fixed gears. I've actually rode one before when I had to go on a beer run with like 7 minutes left and my drummers roommates are a bunch of hipsters so I took their fixed gear. It was the worst ride I've ever had.

I'm just asking about your city because where I'm from only hipsters scensters trendies hippies and hate edge ride that shit.

EDIT: I'm just finding it hilarious and almost nauseous that theres punks who are flirting with this fixed gear trend when about my parts these are the people we don't get along with at all.

oh, my bad man. there are a few hipsters here in dc, but its mostly bike punks.

gopherthegreat
07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Do you guys not have a hipster/trendy scene in your cities? My God this bike trend you're all discussing is what the punks here fight with. Hippies, trendsters, hipsters, scensters.

So lame.
So the punks in your city fight against bikes and decide its better to support big oil companies and harm the environment?

I also get driven to places when I would otherwise be late or I would end up covered in sweat, but I mostly bike. Your city's punks are braindead.

And hippies aren't bad. They influenced the anarcho/political punk scene a lot, did a ****load of anti-war protesting and the like, did a lot of civil disobedience, etc. We're not in 77', it's not cool to hate them anymore.

Edit: Oh, ok then I suppose.

Holy Magenta
07-31-2008, 06:24 PM
I have a hybrid that my parents gave me before I was old enough to care about bikes. My parents also have this pair of 1970's Sears three-speed cruisers (one men's and one women's) that have been sitting around our garage for years. I decided to fix up the women's one and it was pretty easy, basically just replacing the brake cables/housing. I think I'll probably see about fixing up the men's bike too, since I'm too tall for basically all women's bikes.

KnupAkdov
07-31-2008, 06:26 PM
I see. I live in a beach city and we have this trendy scene going on which is so ridiculous.

The drummer of my bands place and where we practice/hang out is next door to our good friends surf shop who designs and makes surf boards. He's got offers all the time from big trendy companies from out here to buy him out and he won't have it. And he often talks with the other big companys about how bad and cliche their product is and how bad quality their boards are. And these are all fads and trends people follow and are RVCA dolls.

Besides that my drummers roommates are hipsters and everynight they bring their friends and our friends are there and its just a funny scene. They hang sooo many ridiculous things in their house that 'look cool.' Sh[i]it that doesn't even work like lamps, chandaliers, broken speakers they don't plan on fixing, gigantic indian cloth posters that take up the whole living room wall, Beatles posters, Bob Dylan posters, doing mushrooms and discussing whose fixed gears are cooler, how much they bought their fixed gear parts for, how vegan they are and what new trendy diet they're trying. Sorry this isn't really revelent I'm just venting I guess. Maybe don't hold this against me.

So everytime we get together we fight.

RockThe40oz
07-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Richmond, VA has one of the trendiest fixed-gear bike scenes of all time. I find them to be impractical, when you could get a multi-speed bike that makes riding up/down hills easier instead of looking cool.

KnupAkdov
07-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Its sick.

axeslash
07-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I thought "fixed-gear" and "single-speed" meant the same thing.

Sorry guys, I haven't looked into bikes for like 6 years.

So yeah I have a single-speed. I like my bike to work like a bicycle, not some complicated piece of ****.

Zero Substance
07-31-2008, 07:22 PM
single speeds have freewheels, fixed gears don't. i don't have any trouble going up hills, either. i prefer to push a high gear with a low cadence anyway, and fixed gears are much more efficient for doing that

axeslash
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
I prefer to pedal when I go uphill. And when I go downhill, I don't pedal. It's pretty trendy.

RockThe40oz
07-31-2008, 07:25 PM
I thought "fixed-gear" and "single-speed" meant the same thing.

Sorry guys, I haven't looked into bikes for like 6 years.

So yeah I have a single-speed. I like my bike to work like a bicycle, not some complicated piece of ****.

On a single-speed, when you stop pedaling, the pedals stop spinning... on a fixed gear you have to constantly keep your feet moving or remove them from the pedals.

Iluvpowerchords
07-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Fixed gear is cool cuz it's the only way you can play bike polo without committing penalties every 12 seconds.

Anyone who rides one for any other reason is insane though.

Coasting is great. If I was president I would have a big, slightly angled ramp system for bikers that went from NY to LA so one could coast from coast to coast!

RockThe40oz
07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Fixed gear is cool cuz it's the only way you can play bike polo without committing penalties every 12 seconds.

Anyone who rides one for any other reason is insane though.

Coasting is great. If I was president I would have a big, slightly angled ramp system for bikers that went from NY to LA so one could coast from coast to coast!

Haha. do you realize:

a) How high it would have to start out at one end in order to do that?

or

b) How fast you'd be going by time you hit the other end?

If you're really curious, I'd do the calculations for you, because I'm that big of a math and physics nerd

Iluvpowerchords
07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
There have been worse uses of taxpayer money...

original=punk
07-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Lemme get this straight. Vodka refuses to use bikes because trendy people do it?

You've got problems, dude.

Wookiedude
07-31-2008, 11:07 PM
How would you calculate the terminal velocity of the bike?

Im assuming that its impossible w/out an experiment

RockThe40oz
07-31-2008, 11:14 PM
It'd be very easy to find the drag coefficient of the shape of a bike rider, because I'm sure there have been many many calculations done for cyclists. That's all you really need.

axeslash
07-31-2008, 11:16 PM
How would you calculate the terminal velocity of the bike?

Im assuming that its impossible w/out an experimentMath is the language of the universe my friend. It can answer all questions.

Iluvpowerchords
07-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Lemme get this straight. Vodka refuses to use bikes because trendy people do it?

Well...

Trendy people are pretty annoying...

Sometimes I like to do things that you know, aren't for ironic purposes.

And lattes are lame.

neidnarb11890
07-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Well...

And lattes are lame.
But how are bikes ironic? :confused:

Also, I've never had a latte. That's how p0nx I am.

Iluvpowerchords
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
I was juss bein' facetious...

I actually like the term "frothy"

RockThe40oz
07-31-2008, 11:38 PM
I still think fixed gear is pretty inconvenient and just trendy because you look super indie if you're riding a road bike hunched over with one pant leg rolled up.

Zero Substance
07-31-2008, 11:50 PM
you know what else is inconvenient? deraileur adjustments when you have somewhere you need to be.

gopherthegreat
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
I hate when my chain comes off and I have to fix it and get my hands all blackened

yeahyeah
08-01-2008, 12:12 AM
I still think fixed gear is pretty inconvenient and just trendy because you look super indie if you're riding a road bike hunched over with one pant leg rolled up.
Being hunched over means you can go much faster. If I'm riding on the tops @ 22 mph I can hit 25mph without an increase in effort just by getting in the drops.

^And I've never done it but most guys on road bikes max out at under 60 mph on descents

And as far as inconvenient, it has its pros and cons but I have a road bike and a fixed gear now so i get the best of both worlds.

Iluvpowerchords
08-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Scooterists all know the benefits of a good tuck.

On the Freeway my bike hits a wall at 55mph...

Then I tuck and boom 60! :D

sargasm
08-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Well...

And lattes are lame.

I like lattes, fuck you.

But I probably know more about coffee than any given hipster.

They all seem to know everything about beer for some reason though. Beer snobs make me rage.

whyvern
08-01-2008, 07:16 AM
A Carabeneri almost gave me a ticket on my bike cos some dumb soccer mom complained that I cut her off... then he let me go.

dannay
08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
*post*
GASP! SARGASM CHANGED HIS AVATAR
:wtf:

axeslash
08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
GASP! SARGASM CHANGED HIS AVATAR
:wtf:Welcome to two weeks ago.

lolmnt
08-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I like lattes, fuck you.

But I probably know more about coffee than any given hipster.

They all seem to know everything about beer for some reason though. Beer snobs make me rage.I like lattes too.

axeslash
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Lattes suck. And 75% of the people who drink coffee hate it. Proven fact. It's just hipster nonsense.

Don't ban me for saying coffee is hipster sargasm.

lolmnt
08-01-2008, 02:39 PM
I drink regular coffee as well; two creams, two sugars.

original=punk
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Black coffee. Possibly two sugars if I'm in the mood.

werty22
08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
My dad rides his bike to work every day. Is he a ponx or a hipster?

RizzoWashburn
08-01-2008, 03:38 PM
^I think he may just be trying to save money/gas

devourthekitten
08-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I have/had a bike punx gang called the Dangerous Bike Punx. Unfortunately, the bikes of the two main members (me and a friend) are broken... :(

Zero Substance
08-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm in a bike punx gang. dc bandits ftw.

werty22
08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
^I think he may just be trying to save money/gas
HOW DID YOU KNOW!! ARE U IN MY HOUSE!!?

mattj2192
08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Why ride a bike, when you could just drive?

/sarcasm, I take mass transit, ****'s tight!

outlaw metaler
08-01-2008, 08:35 PM
i wanna get a road bike for commuting and a nicer mountain bike for going riding

i havent ridden in a while though since its been like 105 degrees fareinheit

sargasm
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Riding is great when it's hot. You go fast and get teh breezes in your face.

gopherthegreat
08-01-2008, 09:11 PM
i wanna get a road bike for commuting and a nicer mountain bike for going riding

i havent ridden in a while though since its been like 105 degrees fareinheit
Today I was downtown with a friend, and when walking the heat was terrible. While biking we got the wind in our faces and it overall didn't feel as hot.

lavazza
08-02-2008, 05:27 AM
I really prefer walking. Walking home from the pub in the middle of the night has something ruminant, riding a bike is just something to get from point a to point b, walking is self purpose.

Adarsh
08-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I really prefer walking. Walking home from the pub in the middle of the night has something ruminant, riding a bike is just something to get from point a to point b, walking is self purpose.

I feel incredibly purposeful riding my bike :(

phobos
08-02-2008, 06:21 PM
loving this thread...but i'm surprised (and maybe a bit ashamed!) that there's no mention of Midnight Ridazz in this thread yet! straight punx son:

http://www.midnightridazz.com/

one of their rides was my first mass ride ever, and it was amazing. since then, i've bought meself a Bianchi roadie...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/2670386280_a33bbb4dfd.jpg?v=0

what's with all the hate on road bikes/fixies? i DO in fact gravely dislike many of the bandwagon type--people who can't adjust a derailleur or pedal in circles, but need their Deep-Vs machined. but seriously, lots of things like rolling up the pant leg and riding on the drops are very much functional...personally, i don't want to have to wear shorts everywhere i go just because i don't want ripped/oily pants, and if i have to roll hard through a street, i'm hitting the drops.

i couldn't disagree with you more...biking is incredibly passionate. just like certain walks are purposeless and rote whilst others are beautiful and meaningful, the same with bikes. one of the best days for me was biking to the library to read, then to my polling station to vote. then another day, i biked to Spudnuts for an apple strudel and watched the sun set over the dunes.

and if you needed more proof, just YouTube "A Sunday In Hell." the intro of a bike cleaning is passionate enough, and the race (Paris-Roubaix) hadn't even started yet...

crustyreed
08-02-2008, 07:00 PM
First point: I think all your hipsters are extremely less hip than the chicago hipsters, (unless you live in NYC)

Second point: Coffee tastes like ****

Third point: I'm getting a new bike these week. Price range 500-900 dollars (hellz yeah for living in the outer-suburbs and not getting a car for the 16th birthday)
Where i live their are a few moderate hills (usually only 100 meters long 70 meters high) And i need a bike i can do 5 miles on in an hour.

Any suggestions/things i should look for?

phobos
08-02-2008, 07:16 PM
First point: I think all your hipsters are extremely less hip than the chicago hipsters, (unless you live in NYC)

Second point: Coffee tastes like ****

Third point: I'm getting a new bike these week. Price range 500-900 dollars (hellz yeah for living in the outer-suburbs and not getting a car for the 16th birthday)
Where i live their are a few moderate hills (usually only 100 meters long 70 meters high) And i need a bike i can do 5 miles on in an hour.

Any suggestions/things i should look for?
coffee doesn't taste like shit, it's an acquired taste, yes, but great. but to each his own.

as for a bike...in that price range, go vintage :) for that price range, you'll get a frame and component set so much better than a new bike in the same price range, it's ridiculous. and they're far sexier. but if not, are you saying 5 mph?? any bike'll do that, even the heaviest mountain bikes. what are you looking for? road, mountain, hybrid? i would suggest road, maybe mountain if you'll actually use it on trails, and avoid hybrid, but it depends on your preference for comfort.

axeslash
08-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Acquired taste is just a nicer way of saying that you have to psychologically condition yourself to enjoy something. It's a ****ing lie and I hate that excuse.

Ska Wars
08-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Acquired taste is just a nicer way of saying that you have to psychologically condition yourself to enjoy something. It's a ****ing lie and I hate that excuse.
I agree. If you don't like it, then why force yourself to?

neidnarb11890
08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I agree. If you don't like it, then why force yourself to?
All the cool kids are doing it.

But I liked coffee the first time I had it, so there.

blackflag49
08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Acquired taste is just a nicer way of saying that you have to psychologically condition yourself to enjoy something. It's a ****ing lie and I hate that excuse.I wouldn't say that. The first time I had coffee I thought it was gross. A couple years later I had it again, and I actually liked it.

You could almost say I acquired a taste for it.

neidnarb11890
08-02-2008, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't say that. The first time I had coffee I thought it was gross. A couple years later I had it again, and I actually liked it.

You could almost say I acquired a taste for it.
I know what you mean.

The first time I listened to Black Flag's Jealous Again EP, I thought "wow, this is awful, it sounds like crap."
But after I got into punk more, I acquired a taste for lo-fi recordings and sloppy playing, and decided it was great.

phobos
08-02-2008, 09:58 PM
wow, angry much over petty stuff? true punk...nah.

i'll go so far as to say almost all things are acquired tastes dictated by the things available to us, things we've grown up eating, etc. like vegetables...by themselves, their inherently unappealing to many humans (think of forcing a baby to eat veggies) because they lack sweetness and savoriness, sometimes bitter. and yet, vegetables haven't been completely shunned. heck, vegans have to psychologically condition themselves to like vegetables when humans are inherently omnivorous. in fact, if it's necessary for survival, an animal body will adapt to crave things it would never crave without stress, even one of your own species. that's extreme, but still the case nonetheless.

lets not forget that delicacies in some countries are unthinkable foods in others (i think of my own culture off the bat, Filipino...duck embryo (balut)? yes please :D) .

anyways, i digress. bikes rule. coffee's the fucking shit.

werty22
08-02-2008, 10:04 PM
My dad got a new bike today.

Doolittle
08-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Man, I've been riding my bike as my only way of transport since puberty took a whack at me! I ride all over Connecticut mostly, I've been around to some of Massachusetts too. It's a real shame that some how riding bikes has become hip and people who ride bikes are considered hipsters. Ah well, I ride a Rock Hopper specialized. It's just a mountain bike, it's a little slow, but I'm considering putting road biking tires on it to make it faster for the road which is mainly what I ride, I never really go off road too much.

yeahyeah
08-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Man, I've been riding my bike as my only way of transport since puberty took a whack at me! I ride all over Connecticut mostly, I've been around to some of Massachusetts too. It's a real shame that some how riding bikes has become hip and people who ride bikes are considered hipsters. Ah well, I ride a Rock Hopper specialized. It's just a mountain bike, it's a little slow, but I'm considering putting road biking tires on it to make it faster for the road which is mainly what I ride, I never really go off road too much.
Do it man! Smooth/slick/whatever you wanna call it tires will feel way faster and corner better.

Zero Substance
08-02-2008, 11:45 PM
slicks are a good idea, and for the record, its a specialized rock hopper, not a rock hopper specialized.

StreetLight3989
08-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Do it man! Smooth/slick/whatever you wanna call it tires will feel way faster and corner better.
If I put road bike tires on my Mountain Bike would it still bet up hills fine?

yeahyeah
08-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Yeah, you just won't have the same traction off road, but if you never go off road then it's no big deal.

lolmnt
08-03-2008, 12:05 AM
What's a good, somewhat cheap road bike that I can get?

StreetLight3989
08-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Would you be able to fit road bike tires on a Specialized Hardrock?

yeahyeah
08-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Would you be able to fit road bike tires on a Specialized Hardrock?
They aren't necessarily road bike tires but you can get stuff like these http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=5425 that are 26"

And I'd look for an older bike on craigslist, if you are going new just go to your local bike shop and look around. There isn't a whole lot of variance among the brands

phobos
08-03-2008, 12:26 AM
What's a good, somewhat cheap road bike that I can get?
vintage :D check your area's Craigslist. even eBay can yield good deals, depending on the bike. either way, if you don't need the lightest bike around or the newest things, a steel machine would be fine, maybe better than the aluminum ones of the same price today. you'll get much, much more for the money if you buy vintage. if you don't want to put time into potential restoration involved (often little if you shop around), make sure to buy a bike in good condition (of which there are many), or of course...just avoid vintage altogether.

...in which case, define "somewhat cheap" :p: this is good if you're just beginning and don't care for brand or top notch quality...cheap bikes that work pretty well:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

Doolittle
08-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah, you just won't have the same traction off road, but if you never go off road then it's no big deal.
exactly what I'm looking for!

Iluvpowerchords
08-03-2008, 02:00 AM
I wish someone would just throw me a bone and sell a ****ing moped in my area for a rational price already. :mad:

$650 is a stupid price for a Honda Express. I don't care how well it runs.

My kingdom for a Puch ya know?

lavazza
08-03-2008, 08:47 AM
We have two recumbent bikes.......My parents really like riding bikes and mountainbiking etc.........I hate sports, though you dont see it :)

yuMayumA
08-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm investing in a hover board.

BostonLacrosse
08-03-2008, 04:15 PM
just dont go over water...

im planning on fixing up my step-dads old mountain bike and throwing some road tires on it and it needs new cables...how much would that cost me?

yeahyeah
08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
The set of tires should be under $30 Maybe $40 for the cables and housing plus labor if you don't do it yourself.

BostonLacrosse
08-03-2008, 04:27 PM
how easy is it if i do it myself

yeahyeah
08-03-2008, 04:39 PM
If you use the old cables and housing as a guide then it shouldn't be a big deal assuming you have something to cut the cables with. I used some diagonal cutting pliers that I already had but if you don't have any then you'd end up buying something like this: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24387&subcategory_ID=4202 and you might wanna think about having a shop do it.

If you do have something at home for cutting the cables/housing do some test cuts on the old stuff first because you want really clean cuts and the cables are a bitch to snip. The thing that might be the most trouble is getting everything adjusted properly after installing the new cables.

some info http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=113

phobos
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
If you use the old cables and housing as a guide then it shouldn't be a big deal assuming you have something to cut the cables with. I used some diagonal cutting pliers that I already had but if you don't have any then you'd end up buying something like this: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24387&subcategory_ID=4202 and you might wanna think about having a shop do it.

If you do have something at home for cutting the cables/housing do some test cuts on the old stuff first because you want really clean cuts and the cables are a bitch to snip. The thing that might be the most trouble is getting everything adjusted properly after installing the new cables.

some info http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=113
IMO, it IS possible to use diagonal cutters to change cables, but only if you have to. if you plan on fixing up other bikes, it would be a great idea to get cheap cable cutters...the difference between an easy cable/housing change and a terrible, extremely frustrating cable change is a bike cable cutter haha. if you're lucky, you won't get frayed ends on cables, and with housing you won't crush the winding. however, there's still a good chance you'll crimp the housing or obstruct the opening somehow which 1) makes it a pain to put the cable through, and 2) creates friction, a big performance degrader. and if you're getting shift housing, you absolutely don't want to use diagonal cutters as you will probably pinch off the ends of the cable. and frayed cables are an absolute pain.

the only other thing i can say is that it can help to have another person handy when changing cables, in the case you have side-pull brakes (probably not for a mountain bike though.)

so basically...if you're going to do it yourself, save yourself much frustration and get cable cutters and read up on changing cables...Park Tools site is good, as well as Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

if it's not worth it to buy the cable cutter, then it's probably not worth it to change cables yourself, so have the shop do it.

yeahyeah
08-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I should have mentioned that the diagonal cutters aren't a good option, but I managed to get some clean cuts by clipping them really hard and fast. I stuck one handle in a vice, lined up the cable or housing, then pounded the other handle really hard with a mallet and it gave me a clean cuts for the cables. With the housing I just clipped and filed.

BostonLacrosse
08-03-2008, 07:16 PM
well i guess it would just be a better bet to go to a shop, thanks for all the advice though.

mbbmalcolm
08-03-2008, 07:22 PM
My bike makes a deafening screech every time I ride it, and I can't figure out what the source of the sound is... probably because Im a pretty big noob when it comes to bikes.

RockThe40oz
08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
My bike makes a deafening screech every time I ride it, and I can't figure out what the source of the sound is... probably because Im a pretty big noob when it comes to bikes.

Could be a messed up ball bearing in your wheel?

yeahyeah
08-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Isolate the problem first. like spin the front wheel, then the rear, then spin the rear by spinning the cranks, check for brake rub, etc.

Zero Substance
08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
chances are its either brake rub or something just needs to be greased.

phobos
08-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I should have mentioned that the diagonal cutters aren't a good option, but I managed to get some clean cuts by clipping them really hard and fast. I stuck one handle in a vice, lined up the cable or housing, then pounded the other handle really hard with a mallet and it gave me a clean cuts for the cables. With the housing I just clipped and filed.
yeah, i did brake cable housing with diagonal cutters...it worked decently, sanding the end with coarse grit sandpaper helped, but it could have been better. would have been a pain, if not impossible, with compressionless shift housing though where the cables run along the length of the cable.

gopherthegreat
08-05-2008, 12:52 PM
That used happen to me. It was brake rub.

MetalMilitia212
08-05-2008, 03:46 PM
http://www.razor-scooters.com/razor-scooters/razor-ms-130a3/razor-scooter-ms130-a3-blue.jpg

devourthekitten
08-05-2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.razor-scooters.com/razor-scooters/razor-ms-130a3/razor-scooter-ms130-a3-blue.jpg
**** YOU!

MetalMilitia212
08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
**** YOU!
You're just mad because I kept mine and you probably sold yours at a garage sale. It was an investment, you see.

devourthekitten
08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
You're just mad because I kept mine and you probably sold yours at a garage sale. It was an investment, you see.
No, scooters are terrible. They're slow, dumb looking, and not bikes. :mad:

gopherthegreat
08-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Scooters are pretty slow, but they're quite fun to ride down hills.

neidnarb11890
08-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I still have my scooter. I ride it around my driveway while listening to music when I have to bring my dogs out.
But not at night, because there's too many frogs out in the summer, and I end up running them over, and it makes me feel bad. :(
Actually, they may be toads. Whatever.

gopherthegreat
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I still have my scooter. I ride it around my driveway while listening to music when I have to bring my dogs out.
But not at night, because there's too many frogs out in the summer, and I end up running them over, and it makes me feel bad. :(
Actually, they may be toads. Whatever.

waterproofpie
08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I had a pink scooter in the 4th grade. That is all.

lolmnt
08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
I used to do scooter tricks in 6th grade. My only broken bone was from a nasty scooter crash.

mikko 9119
08-05-2008, 06:22 PM
i used to have a diamondback joker II heavy duty or something like that... it was fricken heavy... didn't like it too much. but now i git a mountain bike with some disk brake things that work soo nice.

I used to skateboard, stopped, and plan on getting back into it in a few weeks.

I also used to 'fruit boot' or whatever, and that was really fun. But got too fat for it haha

neidnarb11890
08-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I used to do scooter tricks in 6th grade. My only broken bone was from a nasty scooter crash.
:haha
My friend broke his leg freshman year doing scooter tricks. I lol'd.

Adarsh
08-06-2008, 02:41 AM
I know a couple of 9th graders who scooter to school.....

devourthekitten
08-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm starting to believe this surge of cat avatars is a conspiracy to murder me, just because I have a stupid username.

phobos
08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
I know a couple of 9th graders who scooter to school.....
i know a couple college sophomores who scooter to class...

gopherthegreat
08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
I can't imagine scootering to school. I'd feel like a moron.

werty22
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
^But hipsters want to feel like morons. That's what makes them cool.

frd_marshll
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
my back derailer broke in half last week
i don't really know how it happened but it sucks
i love my bike its and early 80's univega
neon red frame its sick

phobos
08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
^But hipsters want to feel like morons. That's what makes them cool.
fail. i've never...ever, seen a hipster use a scooter (a la Razor scooter...Vespas are the shit). almost exclusively engineers/potential engineers who spend their Friday nights playing Scrabble. believe me. unless things are whack in Tennessee.

my back derailer broke in half last week
i don't really know how it happened but it sucks
i love my bike its and early 80's univega
neon red frame its sick
gah bummer...but never underestimate the power of eBay. i landed me a Shimano 600 (RD-6400...the first "tri color" 600 derailleur, and last 6-7 speed) for $18 after shipping. if you go for vintage 105, you could probably get an even better deal.

alteredgod
08-08-2008, 04:41 AM
I've got a 24 inch DMR Rhythm, its one of the best bikes i've ever owned. Absolutely off the head. It's a hardtail if anyone is wondering. Well worth the 400 quid i payed for it.

Zero Substance
08-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Nice bike. I like hardtails a lot more than full suspension bikes.

Iluvpowerchords
08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I think I'm gonna rent a nice road bike tomorrow for the beach town I'm at.

Only if I can't find a scooter rental place though.

phobos
08-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I think I'm gonna rent a nice road bike tomorrow for the beach town I'm at.

Only if I can't find a scooter rental place though.
sweet, any idea what kind yet?

Iluvpowerchords
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
No I'm pretty much just gonna go for the most visually pleasing one I see.

Schwinn's usually appeal to me lots.

Iluvpowerchords
08-09-2008, 11:27 PM
I've been looking into Bicycle Touring lately (I kinda want to take one of those Italian Bike tours one day) and I came across this dude...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_St%C3%BCcke

My only reaction is :haha

He is clearly uber p0nx.

He was beaten unconcious by some smelly Egyptians.

yeahyeah
08-09-2008, 11:32 PM
I wanna do some touring eventually.

Like maybe get some friends together and ride down to so cal or something like that

Iluvpowerchords
08-09-2008, 11:39 PM
I do short day trips on my Scooter alot.

It's not quite as rigorous as bicycle touring but it's really really enjoyable.

I might even suggest doing a short one by yourself. You get to do everything by your schedule and you can go at your own pace and it's just generally refreshing and fulfilling...

When I get my tire changed I plan on going to NYC

crustyreed
08-09-2008, 11:39 PM
So i have my bike, thing is awesome all i know is it's a road bike made by Giant. Summer weather and my bike is amazing.

phobos
08-10-2008, 02:12 AM
I wanna do some touring eventually.

Like maybe get some friends together and ride down to so cal or something like that
i'm envious of my friend...now that his internship's over in San Jose (Nor Cal, for those who don't know), he's doing a bike tour back to school in LA. i think it's about 350 miles, along the Pacific Coast Highway. he put lots of prep into it...he bought a Brooks Flyer (springed touring saddle) and large pannier boxes, as well as planning out campsites every 50 miles. he just left a few days ago and is underway, he should be by my place just north of LA by next week.

hug a llama
08-10-2008, 02:46 AM
I found my bike abandoned outside a local church. Took it and fixed it up a bit now it's my very own punk mobile :D

DanRev
08-10-2008, 07:50 AM
I found my bike abandoned outside a local church. Took it and fixed it up a bit now it's my very own punk mobile :D

You should of said you stole it from the priest whilst he was brainwashing the masses and molesting the choir boys for punk points.

Iluvpowerchords
08-10-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/wmb/images/photos/1260_l.jpg

p0nx.

Too bad it's mind numbingly expensive.

phobos
08-10-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/wmb/images/photos/1260_l.jpg

p0nx.

Too bad it's mind numbingly expensive.
my bike only drinks Sierra Nevada or IPAs....

it also only wears skinny jeans, shaves once a month, and plays mandolin. go figure.

whyvern
08-10-2008, 03:57 PM
my bike only drinks Sierra Nevada or IPAs....

yer bike is a beer snob who will never know the joy of porcharitas

Iluvpowerchords
08-10-2008, 04:02 PM
IPA is real popular in the bike world I guess.

My old girlfriend was big into biking and she said it was real popular on the scene.

Her dad owned a high end bike shop.

whyvern
08-10-2008, 04:56 PM
people that can afford nice bikes can afford IPA's...

Being in Europe makes all the difference in terms of beer... for like 50 eurocents you can get a tallboy of some czech beer that's like 9% or so... also 1 Litre beers rock too (too bad there's no 40 oz's) and it tastes better than those snoody New England microbreweries that punks up north seem to like. But here in Italy the most awesome thing is wine in a juice box ( 1/2 litre for 70 eurocents... awesome!)

Iluvpowerchords
08-10-2008, 05:34 PM
^ How are you supporting yourself right now?

Do you have a job?

(Also Wine juice boxes sound like good times :haha)

whyvern
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I was working in Huntsville and my dad moved onto this army base, I'm staying with them until my school in Rome starts then I go to college there.. I've got some change saved up though and now that I'm not driving at all I've saved a good bit of it!

Iluvpowerchords
08-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Oh thats cool.

Are your classes gonna be in English?

whyvern
08-10-2008, 06:12 PM
yeah, it's an american university.. but I'm taking intensive Italian courses there so hopefully this time next year I'll be close to fluent in Italian... hopefully, I can keep up Russian somehow though.

trackmind
08-10-2008, 06:20 PM
My dad used to have this really cool racing bicycle from the eighties that he, for some stupid reason, just left at the dump. I'll never forgive him.

caesar_salad
08-11-2008, 02:19 AM
People saying single speeds/fixed gears are for the trendy folk should actually try riding one.

I got http://www.sebikes.com/2008/bike-detail.asp?id=46 in black for just under 500, which is much less then a new road bike. Which is a plus. It also weighs a noticeable amount less then the mountain bike I used to have. I also got an 18 tooth fixed cog on the other side, and took the logos off because the stickers were cheep and looked like ass.

Now for riding, getting a single speed isn't just for some "look" (what look a bike would get you?). It gives the bike a different feel when your riding it. And instead of thinking the whole time about holy **** there's a hill here and lets spend the whole time coming to it flipping through 49 gears to get the right one, you just get off the seat and peddle as hard as you can, and usually fly by rich spandex wearing folk on their $4000 carbon fibre bikes. Riding single/fixed especially is so much easier up hills then the other geared bikes I've had, which include a Schwinn traveler road bike I picked up for free at a yard sale that just ended, but the frame was huge and hurt my back. Basically the point of all that is. Stfu about single/fixed just being for people trying to be trendy. It's simply better in every way. It's like saying, people who drive Honda's are just trying to be trendy and not drive a GMC. It's more reliable, faster, lighter, cheeper...it's not because it looks a certain way.

axeslash
08-11-2008, 03:14 AM
You seem awfully trendy.

clashcityrqcker
08-11-2008, 03:53 AM
I just picked up a green 70s Schwinn Varsity for 25 dollars for my girlfriend, I'm going to surprise her with it when she gets back from Austria this week, I can't wait

I also just got basically the same bike for myself, but it's a yellow 70s varsity with a guys frame. We needed some road bikes for Best Friends Day and these two popped up on craigslist just in time

Also, there is a bike punk house in Charlotte (RTA the Rag Tag Armada) If anyone is going through there and needs a place to play shows it

yeahyeah
08-11-2008, 04:51 AM
People saying single speeds/fixed gears are for the trendy folk should actually try riding one.

I got http://www.sebikes.com/2008/bike-detail.asp?id=46 in black for just under 500, which is much less then a new road bike. Which is a plus. It also weighs a noticeable amount less then the mountain bike I used to have. I also got an 18 tooth fixed cog on the other side, and took the logos off because the stickers were cheep and looked like ass.

Now for riding, getting a single speed isn't just for some "look" (what look a bike would get you?). It gives the bike a different feel when your riding it. And instead of thinking the whole time about holy **** there's a hill here and lets spend the whole time coming to it flipping through 49 gears to get the right one, you just get off the seat and peddle as hard as you can, and usually fly by rich spandex wearing folk on their $4000 carbon fibre bikes. Riding single/fixed especially is so much easier up hills then the other geared bikes I've had, which include a Schwinn traveler road bike I picked up for free at a yard sale that just ended, but the frame was huge and hurt my back. Basically the point of all that is. Stfu about single/fixed just being for people trying to be trendy. It's simply better in every way. It's like saying, people who drive Honda's are just trying to be trendy and not drive a GMC. It's more reliable, faster, lighter, cheeper...it's not because it looks a certain way.
If they were faster the Tour de France would still be done on fixed gears...

(keep in mind that I love riding fixed and it has improved my riding)

(and good luck beating a geared bike down that hill that you just pwnd on the climb)

phobos
08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
IPA is real popular in the bike world I guess.

My old girlfriend was big into biking and she said it was real popular on the scene.

Her dad owned a high end bike shop.
yep, pretty much. it's kind of unspoken, but yeah, lagers don't quite do it in the scene haha. for me, if i want to drink beer that tastes like fizzy water, i'll damn well drink fizzy water...but if i want beer, i want no mistaking the taste. either APA/IPA or other porters.

fixed is great, but i agree with yeahyeah...the reason you're passing those guys rich older guys on carbon bikes is because...they're older haha, not necessarily a fault of the technology. if YOU got on that same bike, you'd smoke almost anyone going up that hill. and you don't flip through "49 gears"...pick the chainring (i almost always stay on the large except for warm-ups), then at most have 10 options, of which you'll still only consider 4 or 5. i stay classy and ride 12 speed, so i have 6 speeds and really only consider 2 or 3 different gears for hills.

as far as single speed...i don't really believe in them haha...if you're going to freewheel, might as well use gears.

Iluvpowerchords
08-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Cruisers are the worst.

I was gonna rent a road bike for the week but it's $80 for the week :mad: I could buy one on my local Craigslist for about that.

Cruisers are $40 but I'd rather walk.

phobos
08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Cruisers are the worst.

Cruisers are $40 but I'd rather walk.
i skate faster than 80% of the cruisers on my campus (of which at my school, USC, there are literally thousands). i use larger Powell softy wheels on my board (longboard drivetrain, regular deck) with well lubricated Bones Reds...nothing special. i'll often make it a goal to out-pace them, and i don't look goofy to boot :p:

however...i wouldn't mind getting a vintage townie-style/"road cruiser" style bike to supplement my road bike. looks very classy, and infinitely cooler than a beach cruiser...sometime like this (dig the lugs!):

http://photos.nsmb.com/files/2/2/0/9/9/jeunet_large.jpg

or:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/hellhammered/Racer/65RCR2.jpg

Mav-16
08-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Yeah Skating........>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bikes.

For Sure

throw in some Beers too.

Iluvpowerchords
08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd be interested in a road cruiser if I ever found a Swedish Military bike.

But only an authentic one, not one of those expensive replicas.

The olive green heavy duty kind with the Swedish flag on the front.

That'd be pimp.

StreetLight3989
08-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah Skating........>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bikes.

For Sure

throw in some Beers too.
Biking is faster, easier, and more fun imo. I like Biking better, especially for transportation.

Iluvpowerchords
08-21-2008, 11:35 PM
I went on my first extended moped ride last night. Took some backroads to my friends house, and when I got to the hill before his house the engine...

conked out. Which was to be expected as I still haven't cleaned it's carburetor yet.

So I pushed it up the hill and into a random person's driveway to fix it (The first batch of gas I put in was too oil rich so I wiped off the spark plug (which was still too hot) and put in a leaner mixture of gas and oil from my old Dr. Pepper bottle and then managed to get it started but...

my friend wasn't home :(

So I turned it around and headed home, the engine sputtering before finally settling on a cruising speed of about 18 mph on flat...

The engine held out the rest of the way back and I only had to help it up two hills so that was good. Cuz the way back was more uphill than down...

In all, I should prolly get it running better before I go on longer rides. *-)

Got me some cans of Carb cleaner today!

yeahyeah
08-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Man that Puch is sweet

are you still planning on riding your scooter much?

btw, I drafted a bus the other day and it was super fun (and stupid)

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah.

I'll use it for practical commuting to work and uni and my longer joyrides/tours and such.

It's good to have one bike that is reliable.

I hate being behind buses. Especially in the summer. The Exhaust is awful. Although sometimes it can be quite warming in the fall. My jacket is not good for cooler weather.

I also figured out a better system for tackling hills tonight. I stand on the pedals and give 3-5 good strokes on the pedals then rest. I can maintain like 10+ MPH that way which is loads better than constantly pealing and hitting 6mph :haha

I can't wait to see what kind of grime is stuck in my fuel system :/

yeahyeah
08-22-2008, 02:19 AM
A lot of the buses here run on natural gas so the exhaust is no biggie, it yeah it feels good when it's still cold in the morning.

lavazza
08-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Im punx......Ill make a bottleneck out of a seat post......

oh and biking is mainstream: Because of the increasing gas prices the people get more and more bikes

yeahyeah
08-22-2008, 11:13 AM
In America it is still only 1% of the population :(
(for commuting by bike at least)

lavazza
08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
^Yes in America......how much do you pay for gas? When there were the prices the USA complains about in the news, someone told me, that they were that high twenty years back in Europe

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-22-2008, 11:28 AM
In Ohio, its about $4.00
This currency converter says that's about 2.70 EUR (I don't know if that's the conversion, so don't quote me on that)

Zero Substance
08-22-2008, 03:52 PM
its about 3.60 per gallon for gas here. europeans pay more per liter than we do per gallon.

devourthekitten
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Someone should make a gore grind band with a Hummer's engine as vocals.

sargasm
08-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Someone should make a gore grind band with a Hummer's engine as vocals.

You could use a Hummer's engine in a vocoder.

Actually that would be pretty cool. I should try to find a sample of some kind of engine.

devourthekitten
08-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Haha. You should hear Caninus. They're amazing...their vocalists are hot. http://www.myspace.com/caninus

Mr. Nasty
08-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Anyone know if Smith and Wesson Police mountain bikes are any good for commuting/ possible off road riding, or can I do a lot better with the money (around 500)?

radio_schizo
09-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Ahh bikes. I love riding. I use mine everyday for transport and for fun. I have a driving licence but I don't think I'll get a car...not unless I really need it. Instead I will just carry on relying on the bike train combo. It is cheaper, heathier for me and the environment and it is more fun imo. I love bombing it through town weaving through people stuck in their little pods. Anyway here is my Raleigh Burner Bmx.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Joshmon77/P3130207.jpg

I also have a Claud Butler road bike which is a great rider ;)

lolmnt
09-01-2008, 02:59 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518STOzE5gL._SS384_.jpg

This will be mine sometime this week.

Iluvpowerchords
09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
That's nice Collin

You could put two baskets on either side of the rack and use it to hold beverages!

original=punk
09-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Yay. sometime next week I'm going to a bike shop with my mom to find a road bike that we can afford. Goodbye crappy Bmx that will get me killed!

I will ride on the road with pride.

Droogie13
09-02-2008, 12:58 AM
I don't bike that much really.. I used to pretty often but my tire is flat and I need a rachet set to change it and stuff. I mainly skateboard, though

Iluvpowerchords
09-30-2008, 12:53 AM
This is the best time of year for two wheeled shenanigans.

You gotta bundle up to fight the cold in the morning and at night and in the afternoon it's just pleasant. Not to mention the leaves turn colors and give more incentive to take the scenic route. Though on the surface of the road the leaves are a bit of a hazard.

Mornings to and from school are the best especially the hot shower after I get home.

My back tire has gotten really bald and my front brakes are starting to squeak a little bit but I'll be ridin' till snowfall.

Anyway I like this thread so...

bump.

Iluvpowerchords
09-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot last night I was out in the rain at night on a deserted back road that had streetlights on it and when I went under the first one...

It went out. Which was kinda weird and made seeing harder than it was already (my face shield was rainy and foggy) but then I went under the next one and...

It went out. Which was unsettling.

Then the third one went out.

And the Fourth. And Fifth. And by this time I was expecting a big Eagle that contained the soul of trapped fighter pilot transmogrified by Thor to attack me and poke my eyes out so I opened the throttle and got the hell out of there.

The other lights stayed on and I decided to listen to I Love a Rainy Night on my Mp3 player which I sang along to and made myself feel better.

It was still freaky though.

Brugels
09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Skateboards > bikes.

I second that.

yeahyeah
09-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Man just when I convince myself that all motorists are douche bags, one of em goes and does something nice.

I was riding home from the record store just as the sun was going down so visibility was terrible and I was heading straight into the sun which means that it is real hard for cars to see me, despite my super bright shirt and rear blinkie. So some guy in a car that was about to pass me (3 lanes in each direction, I was taking the right lane and he was in the middle) slowed down to match my 20mph, merged into the lane behind me and blocked for me all the way till the the street where I made a right and went home. Very cool

so thank you to that unknown driver
(unless you were just checking out my ass or something)

edit: And I don't know what it is about bikes, but people in cars seem to have this strange urge to shout things at bicyclists. When the Doppler effect doesn't render their words incomprehensible you actually hear some weird shit. Like today some girl in the back of an suv rolled down the window and shouted, "We're going to Hawaii!!!!"
I have no idea where that came from but it's nicer than the usual "Get on the sidewalk you *________!!!!!" and she was pretty cute too

*insert faggot, hippie, bum, treehugger, **** or cocksucker here

lolmnt
09-30-2008, 09:18 PM
I think I'm going to actually buy my bike tomorrow. I have to go to the bank anyways, so I might as well just withdraw some money and head to Target.

Zero Substance
09-30-2008, 10:35 PM
i wouldn't suggest target. you will get a lot more for your money by looking around craigslist.

yeahyeah
10-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Man, just did a super sweet 50 miler. We had our first rain yesterday and today the temps were in the 70s so it was unbelievably nice riding weather.

Although there was a ton of roadkill out there today- I saw enough intestine to last a lifetime. :sad: :puke:

Iluvpowerchords
10-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I was gonna go for a nice ride but the weather was too cold. I'll need better gloves for the rest of the season.

So I just went for a short Jaunt.

On my scooter of course.

lolmnt
10-05-2008, 06:03 PM
I was out getting gas and going to the library (it was too rainy though). At the gas station, I saw a pink scooter. It was amazing. And the person who was riding it was a big, muscly guy in a wife beater.

yeahyeah
10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I forgot to mention that a couple of blocks away from my house this 12 year old kid on a road bike with a squeaky chain kept giving me "the look" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THIhZEP4QM)
It was pretty funny

Iluvpowerchords
10-05-2008, 06:09 PM
That's awesome.

I saw a huge guy in Delaware on a Honda Metropolitan that had a two tone pattern and tons of ska stickers on it.

He looked like Dicky Barrett. I don't think it was though cuz I'm pretty sure he likes old vespas.

Mets are cool though. Pretty cheap too.

yeahyeah
10-05-2008, 06:11 PM
we should just make this "the p0nx biking/alternative bad ass methods of transportation thread"

Iluvpowerchords
10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
We should.

and I love watching le tour.

Nothing to do in the summer. At least someone is enjoying being outside. My favorite people are the dudes in the back of the pack cuz you know they're only there for the scenery and the experience and the French babes.

lolmnt
10-05-2008, 06:30 PM
The Tour de France is the coolest sporting event because you can get that close to riders. Imagine how cool it would be to watch a football or soccer game right on the sideline.

Edit: Somebody make "Up da two wheeled p0nx" group. I would do it, but since I still own a bike it would be a lie.

Zero Substance
10-05-2008, 06:44 PM
so, someone near me on craigslist is selling a debernardi thon track frame with full campagnolo record components with miche hubs laced to deep v's for 600. that bike is worth well over a thousand. needless to say, i'm jumping on it.

yeahyeah
10-05-2008, 10:27 PM
so, someone near me on craigslist is selling a debernardi thon track frame with full campagnolo record components with miche hubs laced to deep v's for 600. that bike is worth well over a thousand. needless to say, i'm jumping on it.
holy shit lucky

around here the only used market is San Francisco and the prices for anything fixed or track are outrageous. I can probably sell my Peugeot for $400 there :bash:

Zero Substance
10-05-2008, 10:30 PM
holy shit lucky

around here the only used market is San Francisco and the prices for anything fixed or track are outrageous. I can probably sell my Peugeot for $400 there :bash:

yeah, its normally like that too. i don't know what's up with this.

sargasm
10-07-2008, 12:20 AM
There's a courier around here who's a real asshole, so I got this sticker that says "bike jocks are still jocks" and I'm gonna put it on his super expensive bike next time I see it.

axeslash
10-07-2008, 12:22 AM
There's a courier around here who's a real asshole, so I got this sticker that says "bike jocks are still jocks" and I'm gonna put it on his super expensive bike next time I see it.Pics.

For the love of God.

You better take pics.

gopherthegreat
10-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I also request these pics.

Zero Substance
10-09-2008, 10:28 PM
i third that motion

werty22
10-09-2008, 11:23 PM
You don't have to constantly pedal a guitar. That's a plus for guitaring.

Edit: Unless you're Omar Rodriguez-Lopez(sp?).

Joe Publicity
10-13-2008, 07:45 PM
i had a vespa once. i know its a Mod thing. but my stepdad had a bit of a midlife crisis after watching Quadrophenia with me, over a few cans of Guiness and suggested we go halves on one. :) when i played in my band band, people who saw the show would say, ' why play punk rock, then drive off on a mod mobile?' that made me laugh. also my mates mum who was friends of the exploited used to say '**** the mods!' everytime she saw me. lol! i crashed the thing anyway. just in time for my step dad to have a midlife crisis over freebird. :)

Iluvpowerchords
10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
^ Man I want an old Metal body scoot more than anything right now.

I won't be buying one anytime soon unless it's like in a scrap yard for like 50 bucks or something.

I'm hording my money like a squirrel for travel and such.

A guy on campus has a Genuine Stella with a bitchin' sidecar. I'm very jealous. One day I will own that combo myself though...

One day...

prplhazed
06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
^ Man I want an old Metal body scoot more than anything right now.

I won't be buying one anytime soon unless it's like in a scrap yard for like 50 bucks or something.

I'm hording my money like a squirrel for travel and such.

A guy on campus has a Genuine Stella with a bitchin' sidecar. I'm very jealous. One day I will own that combo myself though...

One day...

My dad almost bought a Stella. We went to see it and the seller was obsessed with it, but then the next day before my dad could give him money he called and said the engine ****ed up or something. We think he was lying and just didn't want to sell cause it was sexy.

TMF128
06-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Haha the bike I use is an older bike from around 2000. Every other bike I own is broken, except that one.

Mah pimped owt ryde

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4038/img3255.jpg http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1060/img3252k.jpg http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5455/img3253v.jpg http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3343/img3254y.jpg

outlaw metaler
07-02-2009, 01:49 PM
hey i'm getting a specilized 2010 p.1 allmountain
whatda you guys think

Iluvpowerchords
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
My friend found a Sears Free Spirit in the garbage.

At first I was real excited cuz I though he meant the Moped. But it was a bicycle.

Still it's pretty great. It works well enough though the chain needs serious lubing and it never wants to go into gear when you shift.

Oddly enough the shifter is a two lever thing that is mounted in the middle of the bars on the steering colum bit so it's really quirky/awful to shift.

Just though I'd share I guess. :shrug:

BostonLacrosse
07-10-2009, 02:44 AM
dumpster diving and finding a bike, that is pretty ponx!!!

MetalMilitia212
07-13-2009, 12:46 PM
dumpster diving and finding a bike, that is pretty ponx!!!
That's how I got my bike, which fell apart on me two days ago :(.

However, my longboard is getting some much needed attention now.