Walking the Plank (Heavy Tech) GP5,GP4,MIDI, C4C C4C (Prelude to Hammerman)

PDA

View Full Version : Walking the Plank (Heavy Tech) GP5,GP4,MIDI, C4C C4C (Prelude to Hammerman)

bloodshed344
07-31-2008, 11:50 PM
This is Walking the Plank.

I hope you enjoy, it leads into Hammerman (http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15390195) .

C4C

SatanicShredder
08-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Dude, the intro made me laugh my ass off, more so when the accordion came in. Any particular reason for the pirate theme?

Anyway, the transition to heavy was very good nice use of tempo change and time sigs.
I liked the dissonance, its the sort of stuff I am drawn to.
The breakdown thing seemed out of place to me, but I liked the drums in it.
The bass/ guitar solo at 92 was unexpected, but nice.
More laughs occured at 121.
Holy dissonance batman, but 129 was sweet, especially the lead into it. My favorite part.

The ending was very abrupt but I suppose seing as its an intro that doesn't matter.

How exactly does it fit in with Hammerman? Is that pirate themed as well?

Also crit please:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924465

bloodshed344
08-01-2008, 08:21 PM
The last bar of this song is the first bar of Hammerman, it's essentially all one song split into parts.

Its_Rock77
08-01-2008, 08:33 PM
This was interesting....

I don't know what to say. It seemed to accomplish what you wanted perfectly. I didn't, however, enjoy this at all but that's mainly because it wasn't really my style. :/

but the riffs sounded pretty good. some of the time sigs sounded pretty forced though. nice transition into the heavy part. and the guitar solo was pretty cool. IMO, it should have been a bit more melody oriented but you can do what you want. but overall, it sounded pretty good and nothing really stuck out as bad to me. :peace:

kiki94bass
08-02-2008, 10:57 AM
This isn't my style but I liked it.I didn't like the riff 2-24(main theme) but i think that it would sound better if one of the guitars is playing power chords through that part. Everything else flows nicely.

C4C? The Bass solo in my sig.

6_6_6_1_syn
09-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the crit first off.

I enjoyed a lot of this, but theres always some room for improvement. ;)

The pirate theme for about the first third of the song was well thought, but never seemed to hit a genuinely resolving note or chord to end a phrase. There was a lot of dissonance between the two guitars and more so between the guitars and bass. Maybe too much dissonance for the style of this section of the song.

The transition at 'Turning heavy' reminds me a lot of BTBAM or Opeth, as did some of the following riffs. The changes in time signature flowed well for the most part, but sometimes seemed unecessary. The guitar solo was the high point of the song for me. The slight dissonance in the backing chords sounded great, very BTBAM. I enjoyed this part because it had some very noticable resolution in the chords and the solo itself was very well written. The bass was also really cool here.

The transition back into the intro was a little rough, and going back into this part seemed kind of without a purpose to me. 'Dissonance' was another high point. I really liked the feel to it. 'It's Over' had some nice rhythms. and it flows well into Hammerman.

Overall I liked it a lot, but my main problem with it was the lack of resolution in the chords and phrasing.

bloodshed344
11-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the crit first off.

I enjoyed a lot of this, but theres always some room for improvement. ;)

The pirate theme for about the first third of the song was well thought, but never seemed to hit a genuinely resolving note or chord to end a phrase. There was a lot of dissonance between the two guitars and more so between the guitars and bass. Maybe too much dissonance for the style of this section of the song.

The transition at 'Turning heavy' reminds me a lot of BTBAM or Opeth, as did some of the following riffs. The changes in time signature flowed well for the most part, but sometimes seemed unecessary. The guitar solo was the high point of the song for me. The slight dissonance in the backing chords sounded great, very BTBAM. I enjoyed this part because it had some very noticable resolution in the chords and the solo itself was very well written. The bass was also really cool here.

The transition back into the intro was a little rough, and going back into this part seemed kind of without a purpose to me. 'Dissonance' was another high point. I really liked the feel to it. 'It's Over' had some nice rhythms. and it flows well into Hammerman.

Overall I liked it a lot, but my main problem with it was the lack of resolution in the chords and phrasing.

I didn't quite agree with this review at first, but now I see what you're saying. To me it seems more like a big interlude rather than an actual song.

To Huevos: Thank you for reserving your post, but please actually crit this (most of the time people that do that don't)

huevos
11-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Don't worry dude. I was looking forward to critting this, actually.

The pirate jig is ****ing groovy!
If you take anything from my review, it's gotta be that.

The leading accordian at 34 was pretty cool; I liked the underlying melody it was playing there.

I was gunna say that the 3/8s transition at 55 was kinda stale, but then I raised the volume a lot higher (since my left speaker is kinda crappy) and now I see how it fits.
The last 1/3 of 56-60 was kinda iffy.
It works as a good build-up to 61 and the riff preceding it, but I think if you went for straight tremoloing, it would sound better. The double bass is good, just the accented power chords threw me for a loop.

Now, the 62-65 was great and so was the variation riff that continued up to 76.

I'm not partial to breakdowns, so 78-89 were not really too exciting for me.
What I did like was the tempo change at 90 that really disorientated everything. I thought my computer was freezing up!
That was pretty cool. I had to listen to it a couple of times to realize it wasn't a bug (I'm not feeling too observant right now, as I shoulda looked at the little tempo marker).

I thought the 62-65 was back in full swing, but then...

93 pops up and delivers some funky basslines. I like the sweeping solo, but the 105-106 section really caught my attention. I thought the sweeping would continue, but no. That guitar lick at 105 was simple, but effective. The bass run was also pretty powerful.
I'm just say that the res of the solo was good.

Now, the piano part worked well to bring the pirate motif back.
A shame that it was cut short. Then again, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to extend it. Small dilemma there.

Everything is good up until 141. I like this riff, but it just seems so unwelcome here.

The outro riff at 152 was pretty Dillinger-esque, in a good way.
I see the transition to Hammerman and it works out pretty well.

Overall, 9/10. The pirate theme was just awesome. It could work out as a statement either for or against internet piracy. Just get Maynard J. Keenan (Tool) to write the lyrics for you and you'll be set.
Him or Cedric Bixler (The Mars Volta). Maybe if they collaborated (don't smoke meth, it's a helluva drug...

bloodshed344
11-03-2008, 03:29 AM
Actually that's the point of 141, to be unwelcome, repetitive and grating.
Also, thanks for the crit.