Ambience In The Key Of [-] (Progressive Rock?) -MIDI, C4C-

PDA

View Full Version : Ambience In The Key Of [-] (Progressive Rock?) -MIDI, C4C-

Slaytanic1993
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Alright, a fairly cool song I think. I intended it to be a short acoustic track but then I got carried away and added layerings and distortion and a bridge of "sea" sounds. Heavily (I mean, only) inspired by the works of Steven Wilson.

Enjoy.

Goredit: My laptop has a different configuration so only the GP file ended up in the file.

bloodshed344
07-31-2008, 11:57 PM
You didn't include the actual file, and you also never critted my song.

Slaytanic1993
08-01-2008, 12:09 AM
You didn't include the actual file, and you also never critted my song.

Fixed and explained.

And, about the second part, I'm currently doing the Rock Comp. and I'm abroad so it's a bit difficult, I promise I'll get to it when I'm not doing the Comp :) .

bloodshed344
08-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Ok just reminding you, I'll edit this with a crit pretty soon.

bloodshed344
08-01-2008, 01:14 AM
No, somethings wrong. Your just including shortcuts.

Slaytanic1993
08-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Arrgh, I'm so used to having my /zip's right there :p:...It's finally fixed.
'

bloodshed344
08-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Pretty good song, the only thing I really dislike is the chord in measure 30 that just sounds like it doesn't fit (you know the one) and a few timing errors later in the song. Remember that a triplet with a dot has the same value as the base note, so a quarter note triplet with a dot has the value of a quarter note. I pretty much liked everything else, but it was nothing spectacular, that one 'Main Riff' or whatever is good. The tempo change felt weird but it would probably be better in real life.

LucasGtrGod
08-03-2008, 11:44 AM
The arpgeggio with with the melody sounds great.

And the build up with the drums is cool.

The change into the triplets was a bit weird, there needs to be some slight bridge between the two parts.

This riff is catchy, I like the slightly polyrhythmic drums (well the cymbals are).

The distorted riff is nice, reminds me of Way Out of Here, by Porcupine Tree. The double kicking is really effective.

Um the distorted bit goes on for a while, and I tend to fade out. But I guess it has singing.

The wave segue felt weird, as though it was only there to try and stick together two pieces of music that shouldn't normally fit.

Some of the drum parts are a little dull. But others are great.

Gotta love these stream of consciousness crits aye.

Love the long, long ending. Cool.

Overall 8/10

Some parts did feel weird, but every riff is absolutely fantastic. The only thing I can suggest is add a few bridges here and there to help change. Maybe even a drum fill (I love drum fills)

Slaytanic1993
08-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah, as I said, it's all about PT in this one, the riffs are in the same style that Steven writes, and I added the double bass to let you know it's supposed to be the metally part. And, I liked the wave thing, I didn't know whether to extend it or delete it, but I just kept it as it was.

The ending was another one of my favorite parts. Cheers.

LucasGtrGod
08-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Make the wave go for longer and have some sort of general fade in behind it. Like, I know you don'tr like this band, but check out the song Viridian by Between the Buried and Me, and that will kind of represent what I am talking about.