using two amps at once?

PDA

View Full Version : using two amps at once?

bobby_splax
08-02-2008, 09:23 PM
just a quick question....

is it possible to set up one guitar to play through two amps? i kinda wanna try playing through like some fender clean amp, while simultaneously playing through some balls deep in distortion...dunno why. might sound like crap but w/e... :peace:

so is it possible to do this?

and if it is, is it practical?

does it somehow rob your guitars tone or something?

Mitchell?
08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Splitter.

b00m_
I was just thinking of this. It is possible, but I have no idea how to do it. I think it's called slaving. Not sure though.

Say Ocean
Lots of people do this. I'm gonna do this at my next few gigs.

Kendall
08-02-2008, 09:28 PM
The simplest method would be an A/B/Y box of some form or another.

b00m_
08-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Lots of people do this. I'm gonna do this at my next few gigs.

How?

i_am_metalhead
08-02-2008, 09:30 PM
You would need something along the lines of this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Whirlwind-Selector-AB-Box?sku=156400

I don't know how practical it is to play through one on clean and one on distortion but I know a lot of blues players play through different amps at the same time which really gives them a signature tone.

MortifiedLizard
08-02-2008, 09:32 PM
My amp allows me to blend the clean and overdrive... let me tell you, it sounds real lame. But any splitter would work.

Say Ocean
08-02-2008, 09:32 PM
How?

I'm running a stereo delay in front of my amps.

GibsonPlayer34
08-02-2008, 09:37 PM
people usually play two guitars through one amp using a splitter where you plug it into the amp, i suppose you can plug the splitter into the guitar and have the two going to a different amp

tim5_ICT
08-02-2008, 09:39 PM
absolutely yes. i hav a boss me50, and it has two outputs for left and right speakers. i often put a big ass bass amp on the left, and my crate on the right, and i can mix any tones i want as long as ther on the amps. tone altering i do with the pedals goes to both amps.

i_am_metalhead
08-02-2008, 09:40 PM
people usually play two guitars through one amp using a splitter where you plug it into the amp, i suppose you can plug the splitter into the guitar and have the two going to a different amp

I have never heard of two people playing a guitar through one amp :confused:

Reildeal
08-02-2008, 09:41 PM
A/B/Y Box is the answer

You can have a footswitch that will open each line independently, or open both at once...

Tackleberry
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
You can use a splitter before it goes to the amps to send the signal to 2 amps. Or a stereo FX pedal and send the signal to 2 amps. Or like I do my chorus isnt stereo but has a wet and dry output. Its in my fx loop the wet signal goes back to the amp. The dry is sent thru a OD20 fx pedal I have then to the fx return of another amp. This way the preamp volume from the main amp will affect the second amp. And the OD20 I can change the tone quite a bit so I can get 2 different tones at once, or use the heavy octave for the one amp but not affect the other.

Ninja Penguin77
08-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I guess you could with an a/b petal but the best way I could decribe how it would sound is as follows:

take an all metal windchime and record it dropping to floor. Then process it with distortion and a ****ty chorous.

Reildeal
08-02-2008, 09:49 PM
actually there are times that people have used an A/B/Y box to mix a clean amp and dirty amp together and the results are cool.... especially when you back the clean down.. it adds a really subtle effect that rounds out the tone...

Also, there are many musicians that will do the same with two different amps with different gain characteristics to really beef up their distorted tone..

boo.
08-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I have found that most A/B/Y boxes are wayy too expensive for what they do. It would be far cheaper to build your own. They are fairly simple too, with schematics all over the internet.

And i would definitely look into experimenting with clean/dirty amps at the same time. I can see that really "beef-ing" up the tone alot. Although, some amps allow you to use both channels anyway.

311ZOSOVHJH
08-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah...you can always get one made for what you want - cheaper. There are folks on here that do it.

Yeah...I just got my Peavey Valve Combo 112 to run in stereo with my SS Fender FM 212. I'm not sayin it was great. I'm not sayin it sucked. I'm just saying that i just did it.

Using 2nd and 1st Input jack on tube amp.

Otherwise - ABY switches can jump back and forth.

IbanezPsycho did it with his VK and Ultra peaveys and I think I got it too...

see: The ONLY Valve King Discussion Tread...as of 08/02/08

MortifiedLizard
08-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I have found that most A/B/Y boxes are wayy too expensive for what they do. It would be far cheaper to build your own. They are fairly simple too, with schematics all over the internet.

And i would definitely look into experimenting with clean/dirty amps at the same time. I can see that really "beef-ing" up the tone alot. Although, some amps allow you to use both channels anyway.
Boss makes one for $40.

Reincaster
08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I was just thinking of this. It is possible, but I have no idea how to do it. I think it's called slaving. Not sure though.

Slaving is when you take the preamp of one amp and feed it into the poweramp of another amp, many mesas have this.

As for the comments on how it sounds, I think it only works well for chord work, like the Voodoo Labs sparkle drive, and sounds okay for some alternative ballad stuff. As for picking and soloing... bleh.

iamtompublic
08-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I was thinking about doing this with a Vox AC30 and my Tiny Terror, to get and awesome crunch and the signature orange rock tones.

I've done it before with a Cube 30 and my TT just using my tuner pedal and it worked quite well.

johlin
08-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I was thinking about doing this with a Vox AC30 and my Tiny Terror, to get and awesome crunch and the signature orange rock tones.

I've done it before with a Cube 30 and my TT just using my tuner pedal and it worked quite well.

That sounds like a plan. You must get a stereo delay. Ping pong delay sounds huge.

Chri$$$tian
08-03-2008, 10:26 AM
just played at a bar on friday night with my delay pedal splitting my crate vc3112 and fender blues jr.
two amps at once is great for playing in larger rooms and helps with monitoring for the rest of the band as well.'
i had to be carefull not to overpower the drummer.
beware of phase cancellation too. position the amps sensibly and you should be fine.

Highwaytohell
08-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I guess you could with an a/b petal but the best way I could decribe how it would sound is as follows:

take an all metal windchime and record it dropping to floor. Then process it with distortion and a ****ty chorous.

tell that to eric clapton

A/B Y box man... build one!

Once I get the cash i'm grabbing a splawn nitro and a quickrod, putting them in stereo... and mixing them with a twin reverb for cleans.

DSchmitty
08-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Just use any A/B splitter, also, what would be the live term for it, I know the studio term is just running it in stereo, but what would you call it live?

UpTheIrons!
08-03-2008, 12:02 PM
That sounds like a plan. You must get a stereo delay. Ping pong delay sounds huge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33JvRVjf-N8
:)

powerchord117
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
yeah you can connect the two speakers in the back. just descide which amp you want to use, then disconnect the one you don not want to use from its speaker, then connect the two speakers in the back. there should be two metal prongs sticking out the back. just get some insulated copper wire and wrap one around each prong, then run the wires to your first amp and do the same there

just a quick question....

is it possible to set up one guitar to play through two amps? i kinda wanna try playing through like some fender clean amp, while simultaneously playing through some balls deep in distortion...dunno why. might sound like crap but w/e... :peace:

so is it possible to do this?

and if it is, is it practical?

does it somehow rob your guitars tone or something?

SweetsForLife
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I used to use 2 amps for a while. I used one of my pedals which had a Dry Out and a Wet output, connecting the amp i used for dirty and clean from the wet out, so i could use effects on it, and having another amp connected to the dry out with no effects, with a crunchy setting. It sounded alright I suppose, but i prefer just using one amp. having 2 decent amps probably would of helped lol.

I know Biffy Clyros guitarist uses a few amps at the same time live, you could check some videos of them out.

Reincaster
08-03-2008, 06:19 PM
yeah you can connect the two speakers in the back. just descide which amp you want to use, then disconnect the one you don not want to use from its speaker, then connect the two speakers in the back. there should be two metal prongs sticking out the back. just get some insulated copper wire and wrap one around each prong, then run the wires to your first amp and do the same there

That makes no freaking sense at all. You can't run two amps into the same set of speakers.

secondly, the TS wants to run one guitar through two amps, that doesn't even adress how you're going to send the signal of one guitar to two amps.

If you were trying to suggest sing a 2x12 combo, and running one amp to one speaker, and one amp to the other speaker, that's not very smart, because you'll be messing with impedances.