Who here likes the talking heads?

PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes the talking heads?

BrianApocalypse
08-05-2008, 03:50 AM
How do!

What does everyone think of the talking heads?

Personally, I never really moved beyond Psycho killer, although I was once played some of a Jerry Harrison solo album and thought that it was OK.

lavazza
08-05-2008, 05:12 AM
I know them........I know some songs, but itīs not something for every day..........itīs ok

My father listened to TomTom Club some days ago.

Uber-rocker
08-05-2008, 05:15 AM
I think they're ok, to be honest. My band covers a few of their songs.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-05-2008, 10:22 AM
I like them
Fear of Music is one of my favorite albums

Manos15
08-05-2008, 10:37 AM
I love them, but I voted for the Tina Weymouth is hot option.

original=punk
08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
I love that song Nothing But Flowers. Other than that, I haven't heard anything else.

werty22
08-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I like them. *Doesn't want to argue about whether they belong here*

BrianApocalypse
08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I know them........I know some songs, but itīs not something for every day..........itīs ok

My father listened to TomTom Club some days ago.

I like the Tom Tom club, particularly "wordy rappinghood". It's like the Clash's Mag 7 or Blondie's Rapture, but not crap.

Le Elephant seems to get sampled a lot.

lolmnt
08-05-2008, 12:52 PM
I like the Talking Heads

gopherthegreat
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't like the Talking Heads. They bore me.

Fedayee
08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I listen to them a lot. "Found a Job" is my favorite song of theirs. They've a lot of songs that are fun and easy to cover, too.

Cameronrobson
08-05-2008, 01:43 PM
**** you ass I WAS GONNA MAKE A TALKING HEADS THREAD

NO TALKING! JUST HEAD!

CowsWithGuns
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I only like Psycho Killer. None of the other songs I've heard by them has even remotely interested me.

midnight__toker
08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't mind them, but my dad does have some funny stories about getting wasted with them.

opivy21
08-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I like them, and I have been recently infuriated by the disappearance of my Stop Making Sense dvd which is great but difficult to watch when I don't know where it is.

treefiddey
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
God, I love them. Remain in Light is one of the very very few perfect albums ever made, imo.

Doolittle
08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
God, they're one of my favorite bands eva. the Psycho Killer crowd don't know ****, I'm dead seriously. Remain in Light is really perfection. There's so many different layers to each song, I hear something new every time I listen. I have to say it's my number one favorite album out of any albums. Fear of Music is also a favorite. the jams are so tight on the album, I can't help but dance around.
And with all that said, Speaking in Tongues and More Songs About Buildings and Food are also great and **** Talking Heads:77, it's overrated and not even interesting!

opivy21
08-06-2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYbUCvz1LYE

Awesome video. This thread has actually made me realize that I don't listen to the Talking Heads enough, and that's something I'll have to fix.

lounge act
08-06-2008, 01:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzEadbTCKDA
My favorite part of Stop Making Sense.

sjada
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
all i have is a greatest hits type cd by them that my friend gave me. i havent listened to it in forever (except psychho killer of course) but i think ill do that again today.

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I like them, and I have been recently infuriated by the disappearance of my Stop Making Sense dvd which is great but difficult to watch when I don't know where it is.

YEAH!

i found it at my library and was immediately highly excited

i love these guys, (Nothing But) Flowers is probably my favorite song from them

if you like them, check out Vampire Weekend, not too similair, but his voice reminds me of David Byrne

Manos15
08-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Please, nobody listen to Vampire Weekend. Unless you want to be a hispter douchebag.

mbbmalcolm
08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
I love the Talking Heads, they're probably my favorite new wave band, if you call them that.

And Vampire Weekend really suck.

Cameronrobson
08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Please, nobody listen to Vampire Weekend. Unless you want to be a hispter douchebag.
But being a hipster douchebag gets you ladies.

Fedayee
08-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Ladies into hipster douchebags are not my type.

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 10:19 PM

i listen to, and enjoy, Vampire Weekend

and in no way am i a hipster OR a d-bag

no i can't prove that, either way, but don't kick me when i'm down

sjada
08-06-2008, 10:54 PM
howd vampire weekend invade the punk forums? its the punk forum, not the hipster douchebag forum.
on the topic of the talking heads, ive just rediscovered the song Memories Cant Wait and im thoroughly enjoying that right now. dont know why i havent listened to these guys in so long.

sargasm
08-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Yeah, I love the talking heads. I'm almost tempted to move this to alt & indie, but my anger at how much the hipsters have hijacked the heads and similar bands is prevening me from doing so.

BrianApocalypse
08-07-2008, 05:41 AM
^ yeah, indie scenester twats tend to ruin everything they can get their rich kid hands on.

Cameronrobson
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM
^ yeah, indie scenester twats tend to ruin everything they can get their rich kid hands on.
like calling the heads new wave

lavazza
08-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I love the talking heads. I'm almost tempted to move this to alt & indie, but my anger at how much the hipsters have hijacked the heads and similar bands is prevening me from doing so.

werenīt the Talking Heads THE new Wave band?

Cameronrobson
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
werenīt the Talking Heads THE new Wave band?
I'd call them art rock or post-punk or something that smart people listen to.

lavazza
08-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd call them art rock or post-punk or something that smart people listen to.

post punk or New Wave, I donīt think thereīs such a big difference

BrianApocalypse
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Isn't art rock stuff like ten benson and you will know us by the trail of the dead?

lavazza
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Isn't art rock stuff like ten benson and you will know us by the trail of the dead?

Iīd consider trail of dead as alternative or just modern rock

pwninator123
08-07-2008, 11:55 AM

*sigh*

how many times must it be said

YOUR MUSIC DOESN'T FU/CKING DEFINE WHO YOU ARE

i like Vampire Weekend, but have absolutely no money, and our house is getting foreclosed...

living proof

Manos15
08-07-2008, 12:00 PM
All stereotypes based on musical taste are true. Everybody knows that.

BrianApocalypse
08-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Go have a bath.

pwninator123
08-07-2008, 12:40 PM

so if i like, and listen, every genre of music (and that's not even an exaggeration) which stereotype am i?

Manos15
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
so if i like, and listen, every genre of music (and that's not even an exaggeration) which stereotype am i?

Pretentious.

Fedayee
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
And extremely patient. How could you possibly listen to central Asian yelling?

pwninator123
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Pretentious.

ah, but i do so, AND hate everything about myself, and know i'm worthless human scum?

pwninator123
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
And extremely patient. How could you possibly listen to central Asian yelling?

i don't mind it

i also love Dark Psy-trance

one of the better obscurities

Manos15
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
ah, but i do so, AND hate everything about myself, and know i'm worthless human scum?
I'm stumped. I guess your a self loathing hipster who uses music as a way to make yourself appear superior and cope with your self deprecation.

pwninator123
08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm stumped. I guess your a self loathing hipster who uses music as a way to make yourself appear superior and cope with your self deprecation.

its not out of superiority, its out of making people happy

because, no matter who i hang out with, i always have a music taste that matches theirs, its fun

and i express my love for bands everyone hates, like MCR, FOB and Nickelback

Cameronrobson
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
its not out of superiority, its out of making people happy

because, no matter who i hang out with, i always have a music taste that matches theirs, its fun

and i express my love for bands everyone hates, like MCR, FOB and Nickelback
lol u leik nickle back. more like nickleSUCKS lol

sargasm
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey guys, remember when this thread was about Talking Heads?

And Talking Heads are relevant enough to be in this forum, so everyone can stfu about that too.

sjada
08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
this was about the talking heads once???

Cameronrobson
08-07-2008, 04:06 PM
this was about the talking heads once???
who?

sjada
08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
who?
im not sure anymore. something to do with hipster douchebags maybe?

mbbmalcolm
08-07-2008, 04:45 PM

I've always thought of New Wave as a category of Post Punk, but there are Post Punk bands that aren't New Wave, if that makes any sense.

Manos15
08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
If it wasn't for the ****tiness of Vampire Weekend we would have never gotten off topic.

Is David Byrne's solo stuff any good? The little I've heard was less than stellar.

Doolittle
08-07-2008, 11:41 PM
There is a difference!
A Big one!

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Post-Punk is a genre, but wasn't "New Wave" originally just a marketing gimmick?

lavazza
08-08-2008, 04:50 AM
There is a difference!
A Big one!

Question: Whatīs the difference then?
Answer: Itīs big, really big!

BrianApocalypse
08-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I was going to have my good friend Mr Paul Weller explain the difference between punk and new wave, but unfortunately the video has been taken down.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511170&highlight=paul+weller+new+wave

Basically, in this interview, Weller was saying that punk is just a commodity to be bought and sold by the music industry, while new wave is not.

sjada
08-08-2008, 09:10 AM
no wave music is post-punk and the whole reason for the name is that it isnt new wave, so theres gotta be some differance.

Cameronrobson
08-08-2008, 11:14 AM
If it wasn't for the ****tiness of Vampire Weekend we would have never gotten off topic.

Is David Byrne's solo stuff any good? The little I've heard was less than stellar.
he did a great dover of Don't fence me in

European Son
08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
God, they're one of my favorite bands eva. the Psycho Killer crowd don't know ****, I'm dead seriously. Remain in Light is really perfection. There's so many different layers to each song, I hear something new every time I listen. I have to say it's my number one favorite album out of any albums. Fear of Music is also a favorite. the jams are so tight on the album, I can't help but dance around.
And with all that said, Speaking in Tongues and More Songs About Buildings and Food are also great and **** Talking Heads:77, it's overrated and not even interesting!Here, here.

And how someone possibly could "highjack" a band is beyond me. The idea itself is just ridiculously absurd. I mean, I used to think like that when I was an angsty 14 year old who wanted to have all my favourite bands by myself. I thought similar music tastes was supposed unite people, not divide them? Oh well.

CowsWithGuns
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
^ I think it's just because a decent amount of the regulars, myself included, really ****ing hate hipsters.

European Son
08-08-2008, 03:09 PM
^ I think it's just because a decent amount of the regulars, myself included, really ****ing hate hipsters.Fair enough. I think I can see why people dislike people who consider themsleves hipsters (please do explain anyway), but I don't really see how that stops people from listening to the same music as them. Listening to that stuff doesn't automatically make you anything like them.

That being said, I think trying to belong to any kind of sub-culture is ridiculous, whether it be emos, hipsters, metalheads, punks or whatever. I just find it very superficial.

pwninator123
08-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Fair enough. I think I can see why people dislike people who consider themsleves hipsters (please do explain anyway), but I don't really see how that stops people from listening to the same music as them. Listening to that stuff doesn't automatically make you anything like them.

That being said, I think trying to belong to any kind of sub-culture is ridiculous, whether it be emos, hipsters, metalheads, punks or whatever. I just find it very superficial.
exactly!

your music tastes do not define who you are, at all!

i like both Billy Joel AND Deicide! Mindless Self Indulgence AND Sara Bareielles

and i am me, nothing else...me

CowsWithGuns
08-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Fair enough. I think I can see why people dislike people who consider themsleves hipsters (please do explain anyway),

Every hipster I've ever dealt with has been an absolute cunt. I'm on good terms with two and even they are absolute cunts a decent amount of the time. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's why most people don't like them. I have NEVER met a group of people more arrogant, judgmental and entitled. Take the rich kid clique from high school and have them all spend their mommy's money on daisy dukes and ironic t-shirts instead of polo shirts and you've got your average hipster.

EDIT: I know we've all met punks who were complete assholes too but none of them come close to these modern day wannabe art fags.

BrianApocalypse
08-08-2008, 07:04 PM

I think that that's a valid notion, but you have to bear in mind that most members of subcultures aren't typical people. Usually, they're driven in some way to being outcasts. Usually due to social status, natural disposition and character, instability and change during childhood, athletic ability, interests, physical or mental appearance, abuse and trauma etc to name but a few reasons.

Some of them, yours truly for instance, were really quite socially retarded by the time they hit late teen years and will almost certainly need psychotherapy later in life.

I don't really think that it's the subculture fans that are neccessarily superficial. As a generalisation, I would argue that the subculture fan demographic is well above average intelligence, and its 'members' question their own actions more than most people.

I have found mainstream genre-hoppers to be superficial in that they will only embrace the flavour of the month to gain credibility in the music world, before discarding it as soon as the clockwork moves on. I think that the real music fan doesn't act like that. Music is for life, and not just for christmas.

Yours truly again has been, and continues to be royally f*cked over by the "alternative" scene. I've belonged to various amateur labels, promotion companies and have been denied opportunities (that I should have in fairness been entitled to) for my music, including gigs, radio airplay and being featured on compilations. I should be praised for doing something creative, different to the status quo and interesting. But instead, all I get are dirty looks and laughs.

So I think that subculture types are more discerning than trendy types, in that they don't just accept music on its social popularity and proportion of acceptable-ness, or even its fundamental musical merits. But again, this is important. Music is NOT just music. Music is THE single most powerful form of human expression and for that it's worth arguing, fighting and even existing for in a subcultural lifestyle. Connotation and conviction are crucial elements of the musical experience.

Liking music purely on its pop catchiness is no different than being a fan of Hitler on the grounds that he was a strong economist.

European Son
08-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I agree with some of what you are saying. However, I think you completely left out the negative side of being a part of a sub-culture. I've met plenty of people who are (or try to be) part of a sub-culture, some of which I've gotten along with and some of which I've strongly disliked. A lot of these people got a (like you said) pretty shitty background to cope with.

I've been there myself. My life has been far from perfect (we don't have to go into details), but I try to deal with it as good as I can and music has, and probably always will be, a big part of my "cure" or whatever you want to call it. I got into music partly because it made me different from all the sporty kids and it has helped me to identify myself. But listening to one genre of music or one band does not automatically make you a certain kind of person. That is all I'm saying.

And I know a lot of people who initially became a 'member' of a sub-culture because it was easier to find people who were like themselves and who had the same interests and I compltetly tolerate and respect that. However, for a lot of people, it kind of just stops there and they refuse to change at all because it's outside their comfort zone. They try to find "the ultimate <insert sub-culture here> lifestyle", which I personally, don't think is a good thing. Instead of trying to move on further, they just kind of stay at the same level of understanding or open-mindedness as every other guy and their whole perspective of things ends in a very Us vs. Them kind of way. Which is the exact same way that close-minded jocks and ignorant fools think, which, in the grand scheme, means they're no different than them when it comes to open-mindedness and ability to see the world in a wide perspective (since they can't respect people who do things differently than them).

Uhh, hope that makes some kind of sense.

BrianApocalypse
08-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I think that that's a very reasonable and level-headed way of thinking about it. :)

lavazza
08-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I was going to have my good friend Mr Paul Weller explain the difference between punk and new wave, but unfortunately the video has been taken down.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511170&highlight=paul+weller+new+wave

Basically, in this interview, Weller was saying that punk is just a commodity to be bought and sold by the music industry, while new wave is not.

You accept Paul Weller as an authority, even though he was guest of The Who at a concert in the Royal Albert Hall?

DanRev
08-09-2008, 09:00 AM
You accept Paul Weller as an authority, even though he was guest of The Who at a concert in the Royal Albert Hall?

Eh what?

BrianApocalypse
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM

If you'd seen the video, you'd respect his authoritah.

lavazza
08-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Eh what?

You cannot understand me since you donīt know that Brian and I have different opinions about The Who......

DanRev
08-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I like the who
I like the jam
I like marmalade.

BrianApocalypse
08-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I do like the who, I just think that they're grossly overrated.

mbbmalcolm
08-09-2008, 02:55 PM
I do like the who, I just think that they're grossly overrated.

+1.

werty22
08-09-2008, 03:15 PM
They are very overrated, especially My Generation.

Cameronrobson
08-09-2008, 03:57 PM
you just can't appreciate the expert guitar work on that song

Jett Diamond
08-09-2008, 04:02 PM
EDIT: I know we've all met punks who were complete assholes too but none of them come close to these modern day wannabe art fags.
Ouch! Let's be careful with that term. Art fags are awesome; trendy kids with sweaters who claim they're a revolutionary photographer aren't.

I have Talking Heads '77 and I haven't gotten into it. I haven't really given it enough of a chance yet to have a final ruling though.

DanRev
08-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Still an amazing song, but I agree overrated, just like any other band that gets printed with that "influential" stamp by mainstream media. And ****ing boring live nowdays.

mbbmalcolm
08-09-2008, 08:10 PM

I like Patti Smith's live version better.

DanRev
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I dont like Patti Smith.

mbbmalcolm
08-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't like you.

Chris_Parker
08-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I love how no one thinks Frantz was any good at drums :haha

werty22
08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Ouch! Let's be careful with that term. Art fags are awesome; trendy kids with sweaters who claim they're a revolutionary photographer aren't.

I have Talking Heads '77 and I haven't gotten into it. I haven't really given it enough of a chance yet to have a final ruling though.
Me neither. I like the sound and all, but there are really only a few really catchy songs.