Hardcore

PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore

Swap-Meet
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
This is a little bit of a rant thread, and i know some / many of you will not agree

It started with great bands like The Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Minor Threat, DKs, etc.....and

how can you classify a band like sick of it all in the same genre as those guys?

they sound nothing alike, and their song structure is nothing alike.

Also, for their sakes I hope they don't go ****ing labeling their fans while they're on stage like sick of it all does...

I know of a bunch of other bands that sound like Sick Of It All does, I just don't know band names.

It also seems like any metal band that only has 1 guitar player is considered to be Hardcore too....?

I didn't just make this thread just cause I really dislike bands like Sick Of It All, but because imo they don't even seem like they were influenced by Black Flag, Minor Threat, or any of the bands those guys were influenced by.

Are there still many bands that play hardcore punk the way it (imo) should be?

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 12:42 PM
would you put No Doubt and Mighty Mighty Bosstones in the same genre?

too bad, they're both Ska

<the_last>
08-06-2008, 12:42 PM
because genres progress

Swap-Meet
08-06-2008, 12:48 PM
because genres progress

Yeah, I understand this, but Hardcore is a sub genre of punk, and alot of "hardcore bands" aren't even punk.

FuzzyBear
08-06-2008, 12:51 PM
hardcore has influenced metal and been influenced by metal since the 80's

werty22
08-06-2008, 12:53 PM
This thread idea has been done many times.

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 12:53 PM
what its a sub of doesn't even matter

genres have been innovated and progressed to the point that, their roots don't even matter, there are so few bands that fit into a root genre anymore

666_Pounder
08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Sounds like you just don't like Sick of It all.

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
and anyways

Punk is just a sub of rock, which is a sub of jazz, which is a sub of blues, which is a sub of folk/traditional

therefore

everything but folk/trad anymore is just a sub

but even then, its all traced back to hymns

so if you don't perform hymns. you're in some sort of bastardized genre

werty22
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't know why people are so protective of genres. People get personally offended if someone calls something hardcore just because it's different from the kind they like.

sjada
08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
that happens with everything. the first emo bands sounded basically like hardcore punk, which clearly is not the case today. as soon as somethin gets a little recognition someone has to murder it and in a couple years no one knows what it means anymore

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
that happens with everything. the first emo bands sounded basically like hardcore punk, which clearly is not the case today. as soon as somethin gets a little recognition someone has to murder it and in a couple years no one knows what it means anymore

i wouldn't call it emo anymore, its hardly emotive-hardcore

i wanna say pop-punk, but that's an oxymoron

therefore, aggressive-pop?

Swap-Meet
08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
hardcore has influenced metal and been influenced by metal since the 80's

Yes, but most metal was influenced by punk...

Also....hardcore stands for "Hardcore Punk Rock" so you think a band that calls themselves hardcore would sound like a punk band.

werty22
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
and anyways

Punk is just a sub of rock, which is a sub of jazz, which is a sub of blues, which is a sub of folk/traditional

therefore

Rock didn't come from jazz. Rock and roll was a blend of various genres, including rhythm and blues, country, folk, jazz, and blues.

Jazz didn't exactly come from blues. They are closely related, they often overlap, and they developed alongside each other, like punk and new wave.

Blues came from a mix of European and African musical styles. Not just American/European folk.

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Rock didn't come from jazz. Rock and roll was a blend of various genres, including rhythm and blues, country, folk, jazz, and blues.

Jazz didn't exactly come from blues. They are closely related, they often overlap, and they developed alongside each other, like punk and new wave.

Blues came from a mix of European and African musical styles. Not just American/European folk.

i know, i couldn't be arsed to type anymore than i already did

i simplified into a, truthful, explanation that served the point it made

Manos15
08-06-2008, 02:01 PM
If you actually listened to hardcore you'd see things differently.

Besides how is Sick of it All any different than an 80s band like the Cro-Mags.

gopherthegreat
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
and anyways

therefore

You don't know what your talking about

opivy21
08-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Listen to Annihilation Time and the Formaldehyde Junkies.

gopherthegreat
08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
On topic, If you care that much, just say "80's hardcore"

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
You don't know what your talking about

*sigh*

go up, and read what i said last time that was said

there are many genres that formed rock, and i only typed one of them so i wouldn't have to type anything else, my fingers hurt

gopherthegreat
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
*sigh*

go up, and read what i said last time that was said

there are many genres that formed rock, and i only typed one of them so i wouldn't have to type anything else, my fingers hurt
I couldn't really have known that. My bad.

Though what Werty said is correct.

werty22
08-06-2008, 04:04 PM
"My fingers hurt" is probably the weirdest excuse I've ever heard for giving wrong information. :p:

original=punk
08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
and anyways

therefore

lmfao. Just stop. rock is an amalgam of blues, country and R&B. Jazz didn't come into rock till the 70's and that's jazz Fusion. Jazz was around WAY before blues. And folk music is probably the most tossed around term ever. Gypsy music is folk music. So are irish traditional songs. I'm assuming you mean American folk music? Which comes from country.
Just shut the hell up.

Sick of it all are alot more hardcore than anything called hardcore nowadays. In fact, they aren't too bad. Stop complaining. And birng this to the hardcore forum.

Wookiedude
08-06-2008, 04:54 PM
^^ Country comes from folk n bluegrass

original=punk
08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I always figured country was an umbrella term for bluegrass, trucker music, and just plain country.

Wookiedude
08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Its not where I come from, at least

RockThe40oz
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I heard it was cool to care about such trivial things

werty22
08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
There was a little jazz influence in rock before jazz fusion. A lot of rockabilly guitarists were influenced by jazz. There were also a lot of jazzy walking basslines.

original=punk
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Walking basslines came from blues, same with the rockabilly licks.

mbbmalcolm
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
While I agree that 80s hardcore is the best hardcore, it is not the only hardcore. Genres change, and hardcore sounds different than it did 25 years ago.

Anyway, shouldn't this be in the hardcore forum?

pwninator123
08-06-2008, 10:09 PM
"My fingers hurt" is probably the weirdest excuse I've ever heard for giving wrong information. :p:

how many times must i say, ABBREVIATED information!

and they do, don't mock me

werty22
08-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Walking basslines came from blues, same with the rockabilly licks.
Walking basslines are common in both jazz and blues. Some basslines in rockabilly sound jazzy, others sound bluesy. Admittedly, most sound bluesy because of the 12-bar blues structure that's so common in rockabilly.

Not all rockabilly guitar playing is the same. Chuck Berry's style, for example, is very bluesy. But Scotty Moore's style (Elvis Presley's lead guitarist), for example, is quite jazzy. Listen to the solos in "Hound Dog" or "Blue Suede Shoes." They obviously have some blues influence, but the molodies are very syncopated, which is characteristic of jazz melodies.

Of course, this is all very subjective, so it's not worth arguing over.

antianti99
08-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Why dont u just go ask the Hardcore forum about this :confused:

original=punk
08-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Walking basslines are common in both jazz and blues. Some basslines in rockabilly sound jazzy, others sound bluesy. Admittedly, most sound bluesy because of the 12-bar blues structure that's so common in rockabilly.

Not all rockabilly guitar playing is the same. Chuck Berry's style, for example, is very bluesy. But Scotty Moore's style (Elvis Presley's lead guitarist), for example, is quite jazzy. Listen to the solos in "Hound Dog" or "Blue Suede Shoes." They obviously have some blues influence, but the molodies are very syncopated, which is characteristic of jazz melodies.

Of course, this is all very subjective, so it's not worth arguing over.

I'll kill myself before I subject to myself to listening to elvis.

And neither of those songs were written by him. Just rerecorded.

werty22
08-06-2008, 11:58 PM
I'll kill myself before I subject to myself to listening to elvis.

And neither of those songs were written by him. Just rerecorded.
I didn't say he wrote them. :confused:

original=punk
08-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I didn't say he wrote them. :confused:

I know. I'm just sick right now, and therefor bored so arguing seems fun :)

axeslash
08-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Swap-Meet bothers me. Bothers me a lot.

original=punk
08-07-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm gonna concur with you there.

sargasm
08-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Are there still many bands that play hardcore punk the way it (imo) should be?

Yes.

Career Suicide, Limp Wrist, and tons more.

This thread is full of silliness.