Pre-Punk, who should I listen to?

PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Punk, who should I listen to?

Mountaindew91
08-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Lately I've been getting into the stuff that was punk before punk was punk, if you follow me. So far I've got The Stooges, 13th floor elevators, and MC5. Any others i should listen to? If it helps, the proper punk bands I like are The Ramones, Misfits, New York Dolls, Dead Kennedys, Descendents, etc. Just throw out some band names, thanks.

lolmnt
08-07-2008, 02:14 AM
The Damned
Buzzcocks
Television
Richard Hell and The Voidoids
Minutemen
Husker Du
Joy Division

I didn't read the thread carefully. I thought he just wanted punk.

deadeyedick
08-07-2008, 02:17 AM
minor threat, pre-punk or not, essential.

treefiddey
08-07-2008, 02:22 AM
ummm... why would you suggest The Damned and Minor Threat????

Try Television, Richard Hell, Radio Birdman, The Vibrators, The Velvet Underground, Patti Smith'
and my favorite, David Bowie.

Great genre, I'm more into Post-Punk though.

yeahyeah
08-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Velvet Underground, Television, The Sonics, The Zachary Thaks, The Modern Lovers. I dunno, my brain is **** right now, I'll add more later

btw Minor Threat? wtf not proto punk, not even punk

garager
08-07-2008, 02:24 AM
try the sonics

Iluvpowerchords
08-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Kiss

Fedayee
08-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I guess if you want to know the excess that punk was rebelling against, Kiss would probably be awesome.
I don't know if you were actually thinking of the juxtaposition I was but it kinda works.

sargasm
08-07-2008, 03:30 AM
We're talking proto-punk here guys. Try to keep it in that realm.

Check out Eddie and the Hot Rods

blackflag49
08-07-2008, 04:41 AM
The Saints, Love, Flamin' Groovies and DMZ...

BrianApocalypse
08-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Check out the seeds, the sonics, eddie and the hot rods, the trashmen.

Radio Birdman, too.

axeslash
08-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Why listen to proto-punk when you could just go all the way and listen to actual punk?

BrianApocalypse
08-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Because 90% of punk f*cking sucks, but only 70% of pre punk f*cking sucks.

Simple mathematics.

axeslash
08-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Oh you.

BrianApocalypse
08-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Never mind, I'll get my comeuppance one day, when some little sid vicious and darby crash imitator pussers overhear my slanderous rants and decide to kick my face in.

Nexium
08-07-2008, 06:06 AM
The kinks.

BrianApocalypse
08-07-2008, 06:08 AM
The kinks.

Most people think that the kinks begin and end with "you really got me"

and they're pretty much right.

lavazza
08-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Louie Louie (I know itīs not by them, but the most famous version is)
Apeman (really great)
Waterloo Sunset
Long, tall, shorty
Death of a clown
Mr Pleasant
Lola
and the list goes on you Grateful Dead-Hippie

Try The Whoīs Live at Leeds, itīs a great album, also for punks
If you like NY Dolls, try Elvis, Stry Cats, or your toilet flush

original=punk
08-07-2008, 09:51 AM

Village Green Preservation Society!

sjada
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
david peel and the lower east side, the fugs, the velvet underground definitly, a lot of the other stuff thats already been mentioned is great.

BrianApocalypse
08-07-2008, 11:11 AM
and the list goes on you Grateful Dead-Hippie

Oi!

Don't ever call me a Grateful Dead-Hippie, you... you... you assface! :livid:

I don't like the grateful dead because they're chilled out hippy sh*t, I like the grateful dead because the songwriting is top notch.

Especially the chord work, there's a lot of really good substitution going on.

You couldn't appreciate it though, because you're just a cretinous demihuman.

And the kinks pretty much suck, they're nothing more than a bread-and-butter gay ass pop group with too many guitar players.

lavazza
08-07-2008, 11:19 AM

Just because they have Dave Davies, Ray Davies and the You Really Got me solo was still played by Jimmy Page?

I if you donīt like them itīs up to you, but Long tall shorty or Mr Pleasant are really good songs. They are simple, but they are simple in a way many bands cannot imitate, they have imaginative songs with a castrated singer.

And if youīve ever heard Iggy and the stoogesī Louie Louie cover youīll know why they were that important.

misfitsdisciple
08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Radio Birdman and The Stooges.

Cameronrobson
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Rocket from the Tombs

werty22
08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
The Dictators and Mott The Hoople.

mbbmalcolm
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
The Who, The Kinks, Mott The Hoople, Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, The Seeds, ? and the Mysterians, and while most won't agree with me, I think the Doors were kinda punk, you can hear them in a few of the Stooges songs. Many of the bands people are listing (like Television) are not really prepunk, or protopunk or whatever. They're good, but they're more punk than prepunk.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
How about Captain Beefheart? A lot of punk bands cite him as an influence. I must warn you its a little...different.

yuMayumA
08-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Jonas Brothers.

Cameronrobson
08-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Jonas Brothers.
HAHAHAHAHAHA GOOD ONE BUD

opivy21
08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
How about Captain Beefheart? A lot of punk bands cite him as an influence. I must warn you its a little...different.
That's a good one. Also:

The Sonics
Los Saicos
The Kingsmen
The Fabulous Wailers
The Seeds
Radio Birdman
The Saints
X (the Australian one)
Television
Stooges
Dictators

If you like the 13th Floor Elevators, and you claim that you do, you should get the Nuggets compilation. It's got a ton of 60s psychedelic rock. Also check out the Back From the Grave compilations which were more straight up 60s garage punk.

Doolittle
08-08-2008, 12:02 AM
ummm... why would you suggest The Damned and Minor Threat????

Try Television, Richard Hell, Radio Birdman, The Vibrators, The Velvet Underground, Patti Smith'
and my favorite, David Bowie.

Great genre, I'm more into Post-Punk though.
+1 on this post punkness

yuMayumA
08-08-2008, 12:41 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA GOOD ONE BUD

You know they actually discuss this band in the pop punk and emo forum. Same with Fall Out Boy. And they're serious.

Fedayee
08-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Wow. That's rather pathetic.

werty22
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
The Pop-Punk and Emo forum is mostly a place where people discuss any simple, poppy, non-post-grunge music with distorted guitars.

CowsWithGuns
08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm amused at how sometimes they freak out if an actual pop punk band is put there and go on about how it's real punk and should be here. I think it usually happens with The Ramones. They don't even want to talk about the bands that are actually appropriate there. :P

lolmnt
08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm amused at how sometimes they freak out if an actual pop punk band is put there and go on about how it's real punk and should be here. I think it usually happens with The Ramones. They don't even want to talk about the bands that are actually appropriate there. :PMost of the time, the good pop punk bands threads get like 4 replies by the regulars who know what's up, and then the fall into obscurity.

Berlioz97
08-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Listen to Link Wray. His image and approach to the guitar may well make him one of the forefathers of the punk asthetic and attitude, if not the genre of music itself. And he did this **** in the 1950s.

Nexium
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
The Trashmen-Surfin Bird :haha :D

skiracer271
08-08-2008, 04:07 PM
The grateful dead are better than music.

And the elevators are great pre punk/pschedelia. And so are most of what has been mentioned.

Check out los saicos. They are crazy pre punk from peru in the mid 60s. Their name means the psychos in english.

sjada
08-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Listen to Link Wray. His image and approach to the guitar may well make him one of the forefathers of the punk asthetic and attitude, if not the genre of music itself. And he did this **** in the 1950s.
i always thought he played surf for some reaosn :confused:

werty22
08-08-2008, 06:49 PM
i always thought he played surf for some reaosn :confused:
He played instrumental music that had a lot in common with surf, but it wasn't surf. I think the main difference is the amount of reverb, tbh.

BrianApocalypse
08-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Also, surf is considered to embrace that forever sunny optimism of the late '50's. Typified by Fender guitars through bright modulation and clean, kitten purring amps.

Sticking a pencil through your speaker cone to play surf would be as controversial as a massage parlour / sex club for gay jewish african americans in the bible belt.

Cameronrobson
08-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Sticking a pencil through your speaker cone to play surf would be as controversial as a massage parlour / sex club for gay jewish african americans in the bible belt.
Or a meeting of gay witches for abortion.

BrianApocalypse
08-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Ironically, I did at first put down abortion clinic, before changing.

Witches never came across my mind, but I suppose it's a good a one as any :cheers:

opivy21
08-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Link Wray kicks ass.

As for abortion in the South, there is an elderly couple that regularly protests on the sidewalks of a major street around here. They strap baby dolls to themselves and push them around in a stroller. It's kind of scary.

sargasm
08-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Ironically, I did at first put down abortion clinic, before changing.

Witches never came across my mind, but I suppose it's a good a one as any :cheers:

A couple of my friends call their apartment "the abortion clinic" because they both work in the sexual health field and are huge into the pro-choice thing.

They used to have fun parties there but they got too many noise complaints and were threatened with eviction.

lavazza
08-09-2008, 09:05 AM

Right I forgot him......the inventor of Powerchords, so you guys must hate him.......Powerchords are one of the most important things in punk, whatever you say........donīt discuss, weīve had it before

sjada
08-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Also, surf is considered to embrace that forever sunny optimism of the late '50's. Typified by Fender guitars through bright modulation and clean, kitten purring amps.

sunny optimism? maybe the beachboys kind of surf. i was thinking of instrumental surf bands like dick dale tho. altho i guess at the time link wouldve been a little radical for that too.

Incoldblood
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
figures of light
The Electric Eels
lollipop shoppe
the fabulous wailers
and check out Bunker hill, link wray and his brothers were his backing band.

Blastiiid
08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Mozart ... he's super p0nx

werty22
08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
sunny optimism? maybe the beachboys kind of surf. i was thinking of instrumental surf bands like dick dale tho. altho i guess at the time link wouldve been a little radical for that too.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Link Wray's "Rumble" was released in the mid-'50s. Surf was at its peak in the '60s. And some surf bands (such as The Ventures) used fuzz distortion effects prominantly.

opivy21
08-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Surf might have peaked in the 60s, but it existed in the 50s. According to a quick trip to wiki, Dick Dale started playing a surf style in 57 and Rumble came out in 58.

sjada
08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
i didnt know the exact dates but i figured it was something along those lines. it doesnt really matter what you call it anyways, i was just curious.

Zardock
08-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
Television
The Sonics

And if you like garagey stuff, they're a modern band, but check out King Khan & BBQ. So good.

ma)(payne
08-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok....ok...ok...

What the ****...

HOW AM I THE FIRST TO SAY THE NEW YORK DOLLS, JESUS H CHRIST

You all fail me. So hard.

lavazza
08-10-2008, 01:21 PM
So far I've got [...] New York Dolls,

Thatīs maybe the reason

f*cking sucks.

this shows you that something NYD related was mentioned before

ma)(payne
08-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Thatīs maybe the reason

Oh christ. That's not fair...he didn't put it in the pre punk part...and stuff.....I still read it all though....so in the end....I'm retarded...

:peace: