Need help learning to play chords with fat fingers

PDA

View Full Version : Need help learning to play chords with fat fingers

DC5039
08-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Hey all,
I have fat fingers and when I try to play any chord my 3rd finger and occasionally my 2nd finger hits the string underneath it and mutes it and makes it sound crap. How can I play chords with my fat fingers? They also arn't very long so it seems impossible for me!

pr4ctic4l
08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
The best you can do is make sure youre using the very tips of your fingers to hold down strings. Think of it almost like making your finger nail completely perpendicular to the fretboard. Other than that as you learn to finger the chords more efficiently youll have more awareness of where your fingers are and if they touching any other strings.

Ze_Metal
08-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Fat fingers are no excuse. There are plenty or big people who play guitar amazingly....also big fingers don't slow you down.

medium mike
08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
This is not a joke... I once was over at a friends house and this guy was huge... I swear he had 12 chins... I almost chuckled when he picked up the guitar... But he played Master of Puppets probably the best I have ever heard... Our jaws droped...

So just becase you have BIG hands don't mean you can't play.... Keep working on it.

DaddyTwoFoot
08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Everyone thinks their fingers are too big at first. I did, and I have tiny hands. You just aren't coordinated enough yet. Keep practicing, friend.

Jim85IROC
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
yup... it's a practice thing. The way I learn chords is to practice holding the chord while I'm watching TV. While the show is on I just hold the chord, occasionally picking each string to make sure I'm not "fat fingering" it. During commercials I practice going to and from whatever chords come before and after the new chord in the song I'm learning. The muscle memory that I build up while watching tv makes my fingers snap back to the proper position during my chord changes.

Usually after a night or two of this I'm comfortable with the chord, though now I'm trying to apply the same approach to my first barre chord, and that's proving to be far more challenging. It's been 3+ weeks with that chord and I'm still not comfortable with it yet.

So I blame it on my fat fingers. :)

medium mike
08-07-2008, 02:07 PM
yup... it's a practice thing. The way I learn chords is to practice holding the chord while I'm watching TV. While the show is on I just hold the chord, occasionally picking each string to make sure I'm not "fat fingering" it. During commercials I practice going to and from whatever chords come before and after the new chord in the song I'm learning. The muscle memory that I build up while watching tv makes my fingers snap back to the proper position during my chord changes.

Usually after a night or two of this I'm comfortable with the chord, though now I'm trying to apply the same approach to my first barre chord, and that's proving to be far more challenging. It's been 3+ weeks with that chord and I'm still not comfortable with it yet.

So I blame it on my fat fingers. :)

I like that idea... and you said something here that is pretty much guitaring the way I explain it to people when they ask how do I play... MUSCLE MEMORY... that is what it is. You are training the muscles in your hands to move a certain way.

camotehead
08-07-2008, 03:52 PM
in fact, u really dont need to play full chords. 3-4 note chord voicings will do.

DC5039
08-08-2008, 01:20 AM
The best you can do is make sure youre using the very tips of your fingers to hold down strings. Think of it almost like making your finger nail completely perpendicular to the fretboard. Other than that as you learn to finger the chords more efficiently youll have more awareness of where your fingers are and if they touching any other strings.

I do use the very tip of my finger near the nail the best I can (but trying to play a basic C chord the finger angles down slightly), but the rest of the finger which is pretty much still part of the tip hits the other string. :confused:

Sorry about this but as you might know when you were learning it is very frustrating.