80s rock/metal that are lyrically appropriate for school?

PDA

View Full Version : 80s rock/metal that are lyrically appropriate for school?

injected
08-13-2008, 03:11 AM
I posted this in 2 forums, classic rock and here, because there isn't an 'all music' forum. don't delete please.. i'm looking for more than one style of music.

---
Me and a few friends want to cover a song in front of our school for fun, and our school informed us that to play at a pep assembly, we have to convince them and pick a song that is appropriately themed. The themes are sports, believing in yourself, good goals, etc.

I'm not into that kind of stuff, I just want to go up there and jam in front of a bunch of people. Last time, we played Pink Floyd - Time, which is slightly with the theme I guess, but they only give us 3 minutes. If we pick an appropriate song they might give us more time.

I don't know if theres alot of 80s metal/rock songs that focus on lighter subjects(Think the opposite of king diamond, but the same music style). But I'm hoping to get some nice song suggestions. Doesn't HAVE to be exclusively rock/metal, but it should have a good amount of guitaring/bass/your usual instruments.

ideas?

jthm_guitarist
08-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Some Van Halen!

Sound Mind
08-13-2008, 03:21 AM
Black Tide?

spiderjerusalem
08-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Some Van Halen!

hot for teacher!!!!!!

satriani?

Black Tide?
not 80's

injected
08-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Van halen would be awesome, but im not too familiar with the lyrics of most the songs. Panama is probably not enough.. maybe unchained though. Definitely will consider that one.

Markhimself
08-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Eye of The Tiger

injected
08-13-2008, 03:32 AM
not 80's

Actually I really don't mind as long as it sounds pretty 80s. I just heard Shockwave by them, I looked it up, and it is pretty good! I am considering it now.

Satriani is cool, but instrumental so it's a no-go.

EDIT:

I'm like a shockwave coming through your door!
I'm like a bullet at speed of light! I go around taking peoples lives!
While you set around saying lies.
When I'm around you will feel the pain.
And when I'm done you will be no more.
Your life is through now mine begins.
My day's of agony are now gone!

Yeah, the lyrics aren't exactly school appropriate... :( lol

GooGooFluffers
08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Get in the Ring - GN'R!!!!
This song is awesome, listen to it, it fits perfectly with theme!!

xxdarrenxx
08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
whitesnake = is this love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnH4yNqL8E

raess
08-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Smoking In The Boys Room.

**** appropriate.

Korzack
08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
^:haha I would've gone with Wild Side - the idea was conceived after Nikki's regular 'meets' with a catholic School-girl:p:
EDIT: To be seriously on subject, I'd go with 'Take me to the Top', or maybe go with 'You're All I Need'... Just hope nobody picks up on the actual lyrics

Retro Rocker
08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Since you're American, this one might go down well.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PP12su7JooM&feature=related

Livin' on a Prayer, fits the theme quite nicely.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvTOdqqVD4

My favourite 'feelgood' song ever.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DJeEFTY3fh0&feature=related

Eric 666
08-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Do Jet City Woman by Queensryche, not too hard but its an amazing quality song...just make sure your singer can handle it because Geoff hits some octaves in there that's a bit ridiculous.

GooGooFluffers
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
so what- metallica

raess
08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
^:haha I would've gone with Wild Side - the idea was conceived after Nikki's regular 'meets' with a catholic School-girl:p:
EDIT: To be seriously on subject, I'd go with 'Take me to the Top', or maybe go with 'You're All I Need'... Just hope nobody picks up on the actual lyrics

Haha good idea! Smoking In The Boys Room would inspire rebellian and teen smoking but Wild Side and You're All I Need would inspire murder and violence. (Thats what the teachers would think.)

Yeah don't listen to me listen to Korzack. You should do something from Girls, Girls, Girls.

hell_monkey
08-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Van Halen - Dreams