hot girls

PDA

View Full Version : hot girls

xxdarrenxx
08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
my sincere apology for the title :p:

But can anyone recommend me a cool guitar/music vid like The Satch Tapes by satriani(not instructional vids).

100%guitarmad
08-13-2008, 08:41 AM
:no:

100%guitarmad
08-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Why wasn't this closed

Zaphod_Beeblebr
08-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Why wasn't this closed

Possibly because it doesn't really need to be?

Good live DVDs basically then?

Live Scenes from New York - Dream Theater
Any of the G3 DVDs but I especially like the one with Eric Johnson

xxdarrenxx
08-13-2008, 10:24 AM
ye i seen dt scenes of a memory. That 1 blew me away. So amazing, especially with the soul singster she was amazing together with petrucci.

haven't seen the g3 1 though. only parts of it, but i will check it out.

and the title was only a joke mate. srry bout that.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
So amazing, especially with the soul singster she was amazing together with petrucci.

That part actually nearly brought me to tears first couple of times I saw it; it's a moment of sheer musical perfection in my eyes.

I've heard good things about the Steve Vai - Live at the Astoria DVD so that's probably worth a look too.

Stratwizard
08-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I've heard good things about the Steve Vai - Live at the Astoria DVD so that's probably worth a look too.

It was an utter disappointment to me. Vai's tone is terrible, the mix is unbalanced and the playing is surprisingly sloppy. It's beyond me how he decided to release that concert on DVD... It's probably the most overrated live DVD I know.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
08-13-2008, 11:33 AM
It was an utter disappointment to me. Vai's tone is terrible, the mix is unbalanced and the playing is surprisingly sloppy. It's beyond me how he decided to release that concert on DVD... It's probably the most overrated live DVD I know.

In which case I take back everything I said about it.

Just go for the other G3 DVDs instead :p:

public property
08-13-2008, 11:57 AM

Well if you hadn't noticed, vai's playing is a little 'past it' and he can only get a decent tone in the studio now it seems....

TheUltimateSin
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Well if you hadn't noticed, vai's playing is a little 'past it' and he can only get a decent tone in the studio now it seems....

I thought he had wonderful tone on the Visual Sound Theories dvd...

Zaphod_Beeblebr
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM

I'm not even sure about his studio tone any more to be honest; it sounds an awful lot like a synthesizer to me a lot of the time. I much prefer his older Bogner tone; it was nice and organic rather than hugely processed and digital.

xxdarrenxx
08-13-2008, 02:00 PM
i think there are not good enough microphones cause i saw him live a year ago and it was amazing.

TheUltimateSin
08-13-2008, 02:13 PM
i think there are not good enough microphones cause i saw him live a year ago and it was amazing.

His tone was fantastic when I saw him last September as well.

I was in the second row from the stage though so I don't know if that skews my judgement. But it really sounded spectacular to me.

xxdarrenxx
08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
ye i have a theory.

Most music pop in particular is based on the catchy melody's and harmony. While vai's composition is based alot on sound. Sure he can play technically well, but sometimes it's the sound of 1 note that does it. I think the mics don't pick up the sound as good as the ear and that it is the small (sound) details that are left out are the ones that make or break 1 of his compositions. Ironically as i write this, this is just a product of good technique in relation with his/the ear.

It could also mean that sometimes he focuses too much on what he wants too hear as opposed too what he hears. He is a good guitarist and i like him alot. But if he had an offday or was tired, he still is human and can make mistakes and get lost in his own imagination (which is by the way for a person as vai not very weird).

Anyways sorry for the big rant, here is another more popular variation:

His sound technician/roadie was drunk. :p:

public property
08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNJd3amCmGk

I have now lost all respect for vais technical ability....He dosen't even play the answers motifs right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTLZ59eUMY

Have to add this one in too. The phrase choices are so obvious you could write the solo before he plays it,its unclean and completely soaked in wah.

I love vais music, but its sad when someone because monotomous to listen to improvise.

Nacho Cheese!
08-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I've personally never been a big fan of Vai...His tone at times is really amazing though.

I would try and help TS but I don't own many DVDs. Actually I only own Vai's one with the orchestra, isn't that the Visual Sound Theories one?

seymour_jackson
08-13-2008, 07:59 PM
i kinda like Vai now, but when i got into guitar i just thought he was one wierd mo-fo.

public property's videos really show how bad he is with the whammy bar, so many notes are un-diatonic (not sure if thats a word). and wtf was that from 2:00 to 2:25 on the second video. sounded like utter garbage to me

public property
08-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Hes very original in his studio recordings, I'd say one of the most today. But its the structure of the songs that makes them innovative, the way everything is combined. His guitar playing on live shows does seem to have greatly improved tone and clarity, but I wonder if thats just his racks of effects that mask him?

xxdarrenxx
08-14-2008, 04:24 AM
but where u posted 2 bad examples i can post at least 50 good ones. 95% sick guitar 5% human mistakes. I know people that do worse ;)

It seems like he has a hangover on that particular vid.

he also is like around 50 years old. And blues licks u can play up too a quite old age but this is a real bite on the fingers.

I mean i can't even remember stuff i wrote 2 years ago every note perfect. and he wrote this over 15 years ago, go figure.

Not aiming for excuses; but this is just sheer reality. When my dad was 45 he was playing footbal and stuff now he's 52 and he can't walk for more then 20 minutes nonstop.

Just saying we're all humans even vai

soulflyV
08-14-2008, 06:55 AM
but where u posted 2 bad examples i can post at least 50 good ones. 95% sick guitar 5% human mistakes. I know people that do worse ;)

It seems like he has a hangover on that particular vid.

he also is like around 50 years old. And blues licks u can play up too a quite old age but this is a real bite on the fingers.

I mean i can't even remember stuff i wrote 2 years ago every note perfect. and he wrote this over 15 years ago, go figure.

Not aiming for excuses; but this is just sheer reality. When my dad was 45 he was playing footbal and stuff now he's 52 and he can't walk for more then 20 minutes nonstop.

Just saying we're all humans even vai

I doubt it. :p:

edgespear
08-14-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm not a fan of Vai or any 'shredders' to be honest but i did like the parts from 1:02 - 1:24 in the second video...Then he went and added the tremolo bar =/
Is it true he's got the world record for most notes played in a second or something? I think it's 21...

the memory
08-14-2008, 08:12 AM
get paul gilberts "space ship live"

also dream theater live at budokan
and theres an yngwie dvd with 2 shows from the 80s which are really good imo!

Nacho Cheese!
08-14-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm not a fan of Vai or any 'shredders' to be honest but i did like the parts from 1:02 - 1:24 in the second video...Then he went and added the tremolo bar =/
Is it true he's got the world record for most notes played in a second or something? I think it's 21...

No, check out the Fastest Guitarist thread that is stickied. More then 21 has been hit.

Stratwizard
08-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Whatever the reason behind Vai's sloppiness is, it still doesn't justify releasing any kind of garbage. I could listen the first disc of Sound Theories and the aforementioned Live at Astoria DVD not more than one or two times because of the dreadful playing and sound. The worst thing for me is seeing amazing songs that Vai has once performed so well, now butchered by the man himself.

public property
08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Whatever the reason behind Vai's sloppiness is, it still doesn't justify releasing any kind of garbage. I could listen the first disc of Sound Theories and the aforementioned Live at Astoria DVD not more than one or two times because of the dreadful playing and sound. The worst thing for me is seeing amazing songs that Vai has once performed so well, now butchered by the man himself.

This. This. and this.

Btw we've totally hijacked this thread.

xxdarrenxx
08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
lol justify or not it's still ur own descion too buy 1 of his albums. I can imagine u don't like all his work you don't have too. He won't beam u up from his spaceship or something :p:

Like i said it's not an excuse or too justify. I agreed that's he's sloppy becos what i think is old of age.

public property
08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I love all his studio albums. And some of his live performances.
I was like the biggest vai fanboy for years.

xxdarrenxx
08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
oh sorry wasn't aiming directly at you. Just saying in general. I like almost all his work too. And like i said, I saw him live a year ago and he was amazing.

wil
08-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I love all his studio albums. And some of his live performances.
I was like the biggest vai fanboy for years.

Me too, i was Vai crazy for a while. I remember buying the Astoria DVD while a uni, and id been ranting for ages about how Vai was the greatest guitarist ever to this girl I was with at the time--I persuaded her to skip a night out to stay and watch it with me--on the pretense that even though she didnt care about guitar, that this DVD would be a transcendental experience of guitar playing of the highest calibre--.Needless to say I put it on and we were both rather underwhelmed at some of the wah-drenched slop on there. :confused:

public property
08-15-2008, 02:51 AM
Did you see the videos I posted earlier in the thread? It makes me cry to think vai once was a guy who never put his guitar down, it seems like it takes more than an hours playing a day to keep your chops....