Against Me! - Piss and Vinegar

PDA

View Full Version : Against Me! - Piss and Vinegar

sebbsmith
08-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Who is this song directed at? I suspect Green Day, but I could be wrong.
Cheers.

killboypowerhed
08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
your probably right

yeahyeah
08-13-2008, 05:57 PM
They have played with Green Day so I doubt it

edit: after reading the lyrics I believe that the song is about Against Me! :o

brettgreen1
08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
actually dude its about
panic at the disco.

i love against me.
but i hate panic at the disco

sebbsmith
08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
I like both bands.

I don't know why they had to write about Panic, they're too much of an easy target.

sebbsmith
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Ps. thanks!

original=punk
08-13-2008, 06:32 PM

+1. They really shouldn't be talked about here anymore. They're just bland rock now.

sebbsmith
08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
+1. They really shouldn't be talked about here anymore. They're just bland rock now.

Where else would I ask?

original=punk
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Where else would I ask?

songmeanings.net?

gopherthegreat
08-13-2008, 07:34 PM
They really aren't in any place to be criticizing other bands.

sargasm
08-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Haha that's what I was thinking

It's probably not about anyone in particular...

axeslash
08-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Yet again Against Me! has proven that they should never be taken seriously.

a kite
08-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Why should they not be taken seriously?

axeslash
08-14-2008, 02:34 AM
"LARGE LABELS ARE BAD OH HEY IS THAT A LARGE PILE OF MONEY OVER THERE AND A CONTRACT WITH SIRE RECORDS YES SIR I'LL SIGN MY CREDIBILITY AWAY"

That's my impression of Against Me!

sebbsmith
08-14-2008, 06:02 AM
What was their justification to signing to Sire anyway?

BrianApocalypse
08-14-2008, 06:58 AM
What was their justification to signing to Sire anyway?

Because their heroes, the mighty Ramones were on Sire.

kaptink
08-14-2008, 07:24 AM
I like both bands.

I don't know why they had to write about Panic, they're too much of an easy target.

It is a bit like kicking a puppy in a cast and head cone.

BrianApocalypse
08-14-2008, 07:27 AM
It's like when that Luke Pritchard (the staw hat wearing twat from the Kooks) opined that James Blunt gave acoustic music a bad name.

original=punk
08-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Because their heroes, the mighty Ramones were on Sire.
but the ramones weren't an overty political an "anarchist" band. Their logic phails.

Ska Wars
08-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Whether or not you guys want to believe it, Tom Gabel isn't an idiot. He's not sitting here thinking "Oh, if I write a song about sell outs, all our old fans will like us again." He's knows what he's doing. Obviously he's not an anarchist anymore. People change. Life's too short to not do what makes you happy, so why should he not do that? Just to please some kids on message boards? If I remember correctly, there are a few songs on New Wave that sound like they're taking the piss out of themselves and the people who'll cal them sell outs. Chances are that's what this song is about too.

sargasm
08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Arguing about all that Against Me! drama is no longer allowed.

This thread can continue as it may with that in mind.

crustyreed
08-14-2008, 12:44 PM
all i have to say is that. I pretend this was their last song.
(And now they broke up and live underwater watching old scooby-doo's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ScFU0UxKWA

EDIT: and 1;19 1;20 is on the back of the new PE haha.

axeslash
08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Arguing about all that Against Me! drama is no longer allowed.

This thread can continue as it may with that in mind.Quit taking the fun out of this forum.

sargasm
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Quit acting like every action I take as a moderator is a big deal

axeslash
08-14-2008, 04:30 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/b/bf/NO_U.jpg

original=punk
08-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Whether or not you guys want to believe it, Tom Gabel isn't an idiot. He's not sitting here thinking "Oh, if I write a song about sell outs, all our old fans will like us again." He's knows what he's doing. Obviously he's not an anarchist anymore. People change. Life's too short to not do what makes you happy, so why should he not do that? Just to please some kids on message boards? If I remember correctly, there are a few songs on New Wave that sound like they're taking the piss out of themselves and the people who'll cal them sell outs. Chances are that's what this song is about too.

Sargasm, I just have to say this one thing, that's it.

Ska, my friend went to warped tour, saw Against Me!. They played Baby i'm An Anrachist. you don't play songs like that unless you've a) sold out and are playing your old hits to please people or b) sold out but want to pretend you didn't.

brettgreen1
08-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Ska, my friend went to warped tour, saw Against Me!. They played Baby i'm An Anrachist. you don't play songs like that unless you've a) sold out and are playing your old hits to please people or b) sold out but want to pretend you didn't.

they didnt neccassarily sell out

1)new wave is definitley against me's worst album
but it definitley doesnt suck.

2)tom has said it hundreds of times that the reason they signed to a label was so that their music could get around easier. which isnt sellling out.

3)if they signed to capitol or like sony bmg and were still claiming to be anarchist that would be selling out. but signing to sire, which has a big history with punk bands (ex. the ramones, the deviants as well as putting out the firts cure album) just so they could spread their views more efficiently is definitley not selling out. even kurt cobain did it. but no one ever calse nirvana sell outs

i admit that there video's being played on mtv constantley is offly sellout-ish but nirvana also did that to

original=punk
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
they didnt neccassarily sell out

1)new wave is definitley against me's worst album
but it definitley doesnt suck.

2)tom has said it hundreds of times that the reason they signed to a label was so that their music could get around easier. which isnt sellling out.

3)if they signed to capitol or like sony bmg and were still claiming to be anarchist that would be selling out. but signing to sire, which has a big history with punk bands (ex. the ramones, the deviants as well as putting out the firts cure album) just so they could spread their views more efficiently is definitley not selling out. even kurt cobain did it. but no one ever calse nirvana sell outs

i admit that there video's being played on mtv constantley is offly sellout-ish but nirvana also did that to

1) What does that have to do with anything

2) That's selling out. That's giving into capitalism, and it's completely against the DIY attitude, which used to encompass the band.

3) the Ramones are neither a politial nor a DIY focused band, therefore their label affiliation has nothign to do with AM!

gopherthegreat
08-14-2008, 05:56 PM
The ramones weren't political and Johnny was actually a republican

neidnarb11890
08-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Johnny was a dick. He wouldn't even let Dee Dee sing about doing Chinese Rocks! :mad:

Also, I don't feel like going over my opinion on Against Me! anymore. At this point, I really don't give a **** what they do.

original=punk
08-14-2008, 06:02 PM
And Joey was a liberal.
Which was one of the factors that caused them to not speak to eachother for weeks at a time.

gopherthegreat
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I know

Ska Wars
08-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Oh, I'm by all means not denying that they sold out. They did, and they did hard. That was directed at the people who take music way to seriously. People who complain and complain and complain about the music, when all you have to do is turn it off. I guess I could sum it all up by just saying "It's his band, let him do what he wants. If you don't like, don't listen."

Oh, and I always thought of that song to be tongue-in-cheek, y'know. Satirical of how some anarchists refuse to affiliate with other people who don't think exactly like they do.

Mav-16
08-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Oh, I'm by all means not denying that they sold out. They did, and they did hard. That was directed at the people who take music way to seriously. People who complain and complain and complain about the music, when all you have to do is turn it off. I guess I could sum it all up by just saying "It's his band, let him do what he wants. If you don't like, don't listen."

Oh, and I always thought of that song to be tongue-in-cheek, y'know. Satirical of how some anarchists refuse to affiliate with other people who don't think exactly like they do.

Baby, I'm an Anarchist IS just that...

Obviously, Against Me wasn't going around burning down buildings and throwing molitov cocktails at cop cars....

sargasm
08-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Obviously, Against Me wasn't going around burning down buildings and throwing molitov cocktails at cop cars....

Pussies.

axeslash
08-15-2008, 05:24 AM
I think we're all missing the point.

Against Me! isn't as good as they used to be.

lavazza
08-15-2008, 06:44 AM
I think we're all missing the point.

Against Me! isn't as good as they used to be.

Yeah I really miss the demo tapes where Gabel freaks out and strokes his acoustic guitar like Rambo and cries some stuff you cannot understand.......(this wasn´t ironic)

kaptink
08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
It's like when that Luke Pritchard (the staw hat wearing twat from the Kooks) opined that James Blunt gave acoustic music a bad name.

That guy knows dick about music or anything though. He claimed the pigeon detectives were soiling indie music or something despite the kooks being signed to Virgin.

At the rehearsal rooms my band goes to there was one of the kooks flight cases and all the staff were smacking it around and spitting inside it.

BrianApocalypse
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Aye, the Kooks are naught but a bunch of retards manufactured by BIMM.

You know that things are f*cked up when those talentless c*nts can find fame and fortune in the music industry.

I thought that it was funny on NMTB when Sim Amstell said "If you turn your head sideways and squint, the Kooks almost look like a real band!"

sebbsmith
08-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Boy, do I feel like a noob. I only have New Wave and I think it's pretty great. I haven't been into them long.
What other AM! album should I get?

sebbsmith
08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Ps. I completely agree with Ska Wars posts.