Crate V16 Palomino vs. Crate V18

PDA

View Full Version : Crate V16 Palomino vs. Crate V18

theinnerpalm
08-15-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm ever so close to getting my first tube amp. I'm trying to decide between the Crate V16 Palomino and the Crate V18 (both 112 combos).

Could someone shine some light on the difference between these two amps? besides the obvious color difference and wattage difference. The only thing I really noticed was that the palomino had a celestion in the back.

My local Guitar Center has a V16 for 199 used, while I can order the V18 for 149 new. Thoughts/Opinions?

_KurtCobain_77
08-15-2008, 01:35 AM
I love my V16, couldn't tell you the differences between the 2 models except for what you stated though.

With an OD, I can get good Thrash Metal tones out of it, and without the OD, it can do clean right through Blues, Classic Rock, and Heavy Metal.

scott58
08-15-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm a bit curious about that also. I really liked the V16, thought it had better tone then the palomino 32. Without knowing how the C V18 sounds it's hard to say. Based on specs and the fact i've plugged into the palomino i'd go with it.

Highwaytohell
08-15-2008, 02:25 AM
Palmino is more british voiced, V-series is American Voiced. Ask Acdcrocks

both damn decent amps...

slatsmania
08-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm amazed that they're selling the V18 so cheap, and it really makes me skeptical about the quality of the things. At the same time, I'm considering buying one just cus. My son has a USA Palomino V16, and -IMHO- it's a great little amp.

I'd probably point out to my local GC that I can get the V18 for less, and see if they come down further on the price of the V16.

mcrfobtai
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM

both damn decent amps...
+1
The V also has more gain on tap

acdcrocks0323
08-15-2008, 10:54 AM

both damn decent amps...
That is what I thought at first glance, but some of the V series (V18 and V33) are very much British. The V50, however, is American voiced.

I'm not sure of a difference between the two, but I love my V16. Actually, the Palomino could be MIA which would make it a little more desireable.

311ZOSOVHJH
08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
That little Crate V18 that is on sale everywhere for $149 does seem like a good buy.

Also, does anyone know the cut off date from when the Palomino's went from MIA to MIC?

tnx

nomadh
08-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Looks like its up to you to buy them both and do a youtube sound off so we can all learn the truth. I think both are money back. Maybe keeping them could make you $50+ bucks if you sell 1 in 6 months. I bought the V30 and am so tempted to buy an 18 or 33h its killing me. Once again It could probably only make me money if i do. Is tit being white and MIA worth $50 more?? Don't miss out. The only bad move here is no move.

theinnerpalm
08-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Looks like its up to you to buy them both and do a youtube sound off so we can all learn the truth. I think both are money back. Maybe keeping them could make you $50+ bucks if you sell 1 in 6 months. I bought the V30 and am so tempted to buy an 18 or 33h its killing me. Once again It could probably only make me money if i do. Is tit being white and MIA worth $50 more?? Don't miss out. The only bad move here is no move.

Haha I don't quite have the money to buy both. Plus the V18's are back ordered everywhere =( I'm gonna call and see if they still have the V16 and probably go get it today.

Could someone tell me what all this MIA and MIC stuff is about? I'm unfamiliar with this vocab

:cheers:

311ZOSOVHJH
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Made In America
Made In China
Crafted In Japan (CIJ) another example

cmakkidguitar
08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I dint think the Palominos were even MIC, i thought the plants moved to Vietnam?

theinnerpalm
08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Made In America
Made In China
Crafted In Japan (CIJ) another example

Thanks

theinnerpalm
08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
No new amp for me today...

They still have the Palomino, but apparently it's on some "police period" where they won't sell it until they've had it for 30 days to make sure it wasn't stolen, meaning I can't buy it until September 7th.

Problem is, I'm moving back to school tomorrow.

gregs1020
08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/791327356.html Peavey Classic 20? $250 Great amp.
That's worth a look.

mcrfobtai
08-15-2008, 02:06 PM
I dint think the Palominos were even MIC, i thought the plants moved to Vietnam?
Yeah, that's what i thought too

311ZOSOVHJH
08-15-2008, 02:08 PM
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/791327356.html Peavey Classic 20? $250 Great amp.
That's worth a look.

Wow. You've really become the Craigslist Master! :haha:

I see you helping people all over with your look ups. :)

*I wish I lived in his location as that would be a nice amp to have*

311ZOSOVHJH
08-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Thanks. Oh, and I don't care so much - I had a buddy who told me to get one but he said 'make sure you get one that was MIA as the newer ones are made in China'. I obviously don't care as mine is MIC. Was there a cut off date or any appearance/design changes on Palomino?

Does 'Police Period' mean Customs?

gregs1020
08-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow. You've really become the Craigslist Master! :haha:

I see you helping people all over with your look ups. :)

*I wish I lived in his location as that would be a nice amp to have*
I need to stop helping myself on craigslist! Yea that Classic 20 is a great college amp. Thanks for the props, ya gotta try I guess. Sometimes a great amp is right under their nose, but they shy away from used and get sodomized. I just look at it like, I'm either saving some kid money who doesn't have much, or their parents' money. Either way, it's a positive thing.

gregs1020
08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I think the Palomino's are more like the old Vintage Club series VC1512 is probably the same as a V16 Palomino. According to one expert on the VC series I talk to. So, in that regard, the Palomino is probably a little better.
"Police Period" probably means, hold for a month in case the owner walks in and finds it for sale. Ever hear the phrase, "if nobody calls for it in 30 days, it's yours?"

311ZOSOVHJH
08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
I need to stop helping myself on craigslist! Yea that Classic 20 is a great college amp. Thanks for the props, ya gotta try I guess. Sometimes a great amp is right under their nose, but they shy away from used and get sodomized. I just look at it like, I'm either saving some kid money who doesn't have much, or their parents' money. Either way, it's a positive thing.

Yeah, my problem is when I do that I get GAS.

Like, real bad.

:)

gregs1020
08-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, my problem is when I do that I get GAS.

Like, real bad.

:)
Wanna buy a Delta Blues 210? Footswitch included!
Sorry, had to, I gas'd earlier this week. Very happy with my $360 purchase, but it's time to sell the Delta...

theinnerpalm
08-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah the "Police Period" means that after they buy used gear they must wait 30 days to make sure the person who sold the amp didn't steal it and sell it to GC for quick cash.

The Classic 20 looks nice, but I have wayyy too much **** left to do today to go to the guys house and check it out. Honestly I'll prolly just have a V18 shipped to my apartment at school.

I wish the police period was ending over labor day. I'm coming back Labor day weekend.

Also, **** packing