What do the punks think of punk guitarists?

PDA

View Full Version : What do the punks think of punk guitarists?

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:08 AM
In order to avoid moral decay of the other threads, I thought that it would be neat to discuss what we thought of other guitarists.

Please note: Non punk forum regulars (that's right, I'm referring to YOU, Berk Hammett, metallica fanboy extraordinaire) who want to come in and say "punk guitarists suck lol its all powerchords", please don't bother.

Anyways, here we go. To clarify the statements proposed in the Stooges thread:

I don't particularly like Johnny Thunders. Sometimes his random w*nking works on the Dolls and HB's songs, sometimes it doesn't. I also think that the Dresden Dolls f*cking suck, and are only known because they have Dolls in their name.

I don't think that Cheetah Chrome is THAT good. He's alright though, and it was cool how he came to post here.

Yes, I like Jerry Garcia, because he's a really interesting player who kept evolving right up until his death. Unfortunately his playing does lack balls. It's all laid back quiet stuff. In the same way that Johnny Ramone is all upfront loud stuff. When there is no loud, there can be no quiet. And vice versa.

My favourite guitarist at the moment is the fantastic Peter Koppes. He really is top f*cking notch.

I like Mick Jones.

I don't like Ron Asheton. Very mediocre.

conkersbfd182
08-16-2008, 09:13 AM
i like New York Hardcore punk outfits cuz they all look like ex-cons or they could kill you if you say the wrong thing =D

Hoodoo Child
08-16-2008, 09:14 AM
erm, does billie joe armstrong count? cos, like...green day ftw, and all that.

:D

DanRev
08-16-2008, 09:14 AM
i like New York Hardcore punk outfits cuz they all look like ex-cons or they could kill you if you say the wrong thing =D

k k lol lol

How long til people begin the moral decay of this thread?

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I think that it's already started. But at least it'll have drummed up some activity.

East Bay Ray, is of course a good guitar player, even though he just copies Syd Barrett and David Gilmour.

lavazza
08-16-2008, 09:16 AM
To say it at the beginning I love Link Wray, though I just know Rumble and it´s not even such a great song......you ask why? He invented the powerchord! You dicks hate it, but there is no better tool than a powerchord, and don´t say it´s so easy to use them, because when you can play a powerchord you can also play usual barrés.

I think that Olga is a great guitarist, though he uses lots of metal riffs. Furthermore I like Mick Jones, because he plays a lead, whcih always fits, but I cannot really copy. Paul Cripple is also great, since I saw him playing live I prefer him to Greg Ginn.
Who else but Bruce Treasure should I add. He used to play simple but good solos on the old Subhumans CDs and on the new he just plays good chord progressions and stuff which fits.

I also think that the Dresden Dolls f*cking suck, and are only known because they have Dolls in their name.

How could an English prick like Dresden?

lp345
08-16-2008, 09:18 AM
I really like Ron Asheton...great riffs, efficient, raw

axeslash
08-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I've noticed the threads Brian's been making have been becoming worse on an exponential scale.

It's almost gotten to the point where Brian just wants to call someone a **** or something. Like I can't remember Brian's last post where he didn't call someone a ****. It's becoming very problematic.

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:21 AM
The use of powerchords has pretty much killed musicianship. Seriously, with the dawn of the 80's, it was OK for hardcore kids both sides of the channel to play random 4 powerchord progressions that don't work over and over again. Then the metalheads started doing it. Then the grungers started doing it. Then the nu metalheads started downtuning too, and what we're seeing now is basically sonic sludge.

I mean, who do it? There is a limit how far you can actually go down. Music sucks at the moment, because it's either all low spectrum metalcore crap, which is one dimensional bollocks with nothing at the top, or it's indie, which has some high end, but no balls.

You do know about the Mick Jones technique, right?

lp345
08-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Mick Jones technique??

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:24 AM

I like Neu! and Rammstein.

And that makes me multi-cultural.

I've noticed the threads Brian's been making have been becoming worse on an exponential scale.

It's almost gotten to the point where Brian just wants to call someone a **** or something. Like I can't remember Brian's last post where he didn't call someone a ****. It's becoming very problematic.

That's a bit of an exxageration. I haven't called anyone a **** today.

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Mick Jones technique??

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512742&highlight=mick+jones+technique

I wrote this up a while back. If you look at the choice of language and how the thread reads, you'll see that I'm not in fact as arrogant as I used to be.

lavazza
08-16-2008, 09:30 AM
The use of powerchords has pretty much killed musicianship. Seriously, with the dawn of the 80's, it was OK for hardcore kids both sides of the channel to play random 4 powerchord progressions that don't work over and over again. Then the metalheads started doing it. Then the grungers started doing it. Then the nu metalheads started downtuning too, and what we're seeing now is basically sonic sludge.

You do know, that Blues rhythm guitarists used powerchords before?, they just put on their little finger as 6th sometimes. Inventive!
Though I admit that there is a lot of Metalcore **** today, though the powerchord was the biggest present for the 80s punkscene of Germany. And I just have a rough knowledge of Jones´ technique.

Liking Rammstein does not make you multicultural, it makes your taste less reliable.......let´s say Rammstein are damn fools. I mean as an American you also cannot like the Hiroshima Dolls

Notoriousdoc
08-16-2008, 09:32 AM
The same way a German could never like Israel, duhrrr.

Does Converge count as punk? Cause Kurt Ballou is ****ing amazing. Greg Ginn is a great player too. And also Ron Asheton is awesome (the intro of Gimme Danger, c'mon!). Some other people that will come to me later are good too.

I can't actually think of anyone I don't like.

lp345
08-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Ron Asheton did not play guitar on Raw Power. James Williamson I think...

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I AM so multicultural. I f*cking hate west indian music though.

'Blues' is just boring restrictive bollocks. Even when they play interesting jazz chords they don't go anywhere. F*ck the 'blues'.

I also hate how middle class c*nts from surrey like say, Eric Clapton are hailed as being authenic blues gods. Bollocks, no-one knows what authentic blues even sounds like. That's why I use 'these things' when I say 'blues', because these spineless twats aren't playing blues, they're playing 'blues' that's been whitened and re-blackened, then re-whitened again.

lp345
08-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Robert Johnson is good blues...

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:36 AM
The same way you could never like jews, duhrrr.

That's just plain racist :no:

Robert Johnson is good blues...

Some of it is.

Hellhound on my trial is a bit of a mindf*ck, which I like.

Dust my broom and Sweet Home Chicago just suck.

Notoriousdoc
08-16-2008, 09:40 AM
That's just plain racist :no:
I hope that's sarcasm dude.

lavazza
08-16-2008, 09:41 AM
I AM so multicultural. I f*cking hate west indian music though.

'Blues' is just boring restrictive bollocks. Even when they play interesting jazz chords they don't go anywhere. F*ck the 'blues'.

Yesterday we´ve talked about The Doors........and yes I don´t like Clapton too.

Rammstein is americanised, though sounding european wouldn´t help them either.

Powerchords can soudn aggressive and they don´t have the kind of character of major and minor chords, they are just chords and that´s it

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Such unwashed plebian literary technique holds no precendence over my arsenal of smarts.

Power Chords aren't in fact chords.

Some power chords can be quite interesting. They don't have to be root and fifth. They can be root and minor third, root and minor second (a mindf*ck indeed), or root and diminished fifth.

What is music without character? It certainly isn't the work of yours truly.

AngryGoldfish
08-16-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm not a punk fan, yet, but I am in the process of reaching out to it 'cause I bloody love seeing Punk bands live, the energy is far superior than Indie or Metal. If you want to slag me for being in the Punk forum and not being a serious fan, go ahead, it will only make me avoid punk music even more because I will have realised what their fans are really like when at home and away from the music...
Bar-chords are just chords, why take it so seriously? Technically the key of E has been so overused, it should be now extinct and annoying. I still write tunes in E and so do about a million others.
Just because something has been used and re-used, evolved and been up and down everywhere, doesn't mean its the bane of music at the moment or any moment in time, for that matter, it shows how brilliant it really is when it has stood the test of time.
Link Wray is a genius and has not grown stale in my opinion. Punk guitarists never grow boring in my eyesm, they were always the same to me and they will always be that way, to my ears this is. They all have energy and impression and thats what matters.
Like I said though, I am unaware of most punk guitarists, I just know I don't listening to Punk guitarists who seem to be about some sought of skin-head image with a hundred tattoos and an attitude that would make a baby scowl.
Am I making any sense or do I need to learn some more about Punk before I state something of this caliber?

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm not a punk fan, yet, but I am in the process of reaching out to it 'cause I bloody love seeing Punk bands live, the energy is far superior than Indie or Metal. If you want to slag me for being in the Punk forum and not being a serious fan, go ahead, it will only make me avoid punk music even more because I will have realised what their fans are really like when at home and away from the music...

That's not the beef we have against outsiders. The beef we have against outsider is that whenever punk guitarists are mentioned, at least 5 people usually come in to post "punk sucks, learn to play your instrument". Which is as ignorant as it is annoying. Hence the disclaimer.

Am I making any sense or do I need to learn some more about Punk before I state something of this caliber?

I'm with you so far. If you want to check out some punk bands though, we have a lovely new sticky.

AngryGoldfish
08-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Link me, mate. My computer is slowing down like a bloody chu chu train!

I never think Punk guitarists are crap, I don't know enough of them to say that. What I do is that the first serious song I learned on electric guitar was Iggy Pop's (I think it was his) Search and Destroy - it remains to be the most favourite song I have ever learned. It is just so much fun to play, even years later!
On the other hand I do become bored when listening to some Punk tunes and how their guitar work, drums, bass and vocals, all follow the same pattern, but maybe it just needs to grow on me, most music does these days.

Notoriousdoc
08-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Ron Asheton did not play guitar on Raw Power. James Williamson I think...
****, you're right! I retract my love of Ron :)

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Link me, mate. My computer is slowing down like a bloody chu chu train!

I never think Punk guitarists are crap, I don't know enough of them to say that. What I do is that the first serious song I learned on electric guitar was Iggy Pop's (I think it was his) Search and Destroy - it remains to be the most favourite song I have ever learned. It is just so much fun to play, even years later!
On the other hand I do become bored when listening to some Punk tunes and how their guitar work, drums, bass and vocals, all follow the same pattern, but maybe it just needs to grow on me, most music does these days.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934843

Some punk is quite boring in terms of simple bass. As a rule though, the earlier stuff is better, although there is of course the Matt Freeman school of thought.

RizzoWashburn
08-16-2008, 10:11 AM
My favorite punk guitarist is Jeff Ott, especially his work in Fifteen. He's got a much less vintage sounding style as compared to the guitarists Brian mentoned but his technical skill is outstanding.

Heres an example of Mr. Ott at his finest***:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=123142647

***Ignore the ****ty vocals.

lp345
08-16-2008, 10:13 AM
****, you're right! I retract my love of Ron :)

Have you heard Funhouse? Its my favourite Stooges album, and Ron plays on it. ****ing brilliant album

Notoriousdoc
08-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Have you heard Funhouse? Its my favourite Stooges album, and Ron plays on it. ****ing brilliant album
I wasn't so keen on it when I first heard it, I'll have to give it another listen
:cheers:

I need to bone up on bands more before I say stuff x]

lp345
08-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I wasn't so keen on it when I first heard it, I'll have to give it another listen

I need to bone up on bands more before I say stuff x]

No worries man :cheers: Not to say that Raw Power is a bad album though, its damn awesome

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 10:23 AM
his technical skill is outstanding.

:haha :haha :haha

That was just generic bollocks. It was sloppier than a nun's first time.

Sorry, but I honestly thought that it sucked.

Worse than Chris Cheney.

RizzoWashburn
08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
^Congratulations. I think you're wrong :)

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Power Chords aren't in fact chords.

Some power chords can be quite interesting. They don't have to be root and fifth. They can be root and minor third, root and minor second (a mindf*ck indeed), or root and diminished fifth.

What is music without character? It certainly isn't the work of yours truly.
I like a few punk guitarists (D. Boon, Quine, East Bay Ray) but, yes a lot do suck.

lp345
08-16-2008, 10:28 AM
You like D. Boon

You're awesome

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 10:30 AM
^Congratulations. I think you're wrong :)

And I think that YOU'RE wrong. And that's fine.

We're entitled to our own opinions, unlike people who badmouth the Clash.

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 10:31 AM
I like a few punk guitarists (D. Boon, Quine, East Bay Ray) but, yes a lot do suck.

Now Quine is a good player.

Very angular. :)

RizzoWashburn
08-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't get why everybody likes D. Boon so much. He sucks. I hate the Minutemen.

lp345
08-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't get why everybody likes D. Boon so much. He sucks. I hate the Minutemen.

:eek: :no:

neidnarb11890
08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
O_O

I guess it's time to find a new forum hero...

Jett Diamond
08-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Now Quine is a good player.

Very angular. :)
I'm really glad I can agree with you about that. I love Quine. I really wish I could play guitar similarly to him. It's some real great shit.

The guitarists I really dig are Quine, Mick Ronson, Johnny Thunders, Ron Asheton, and a bunch of others I don't feel like thinking of.
Seriously though, Ronson is great. He had some really great style, and in the Ziggy days he looked like this crazy blond glam-rock pirate, haha.

EDIT: Brian Eno wasn't technically a real guitarist, but he knew how to surround himself with a bunch of really diverse players, and he did some great treatments to instruments. Here Come the Warm Jets is a great album.

StreetLight3989
08-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd are pretty awesome.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Brian Eno wasn't technically a real guitarist, but he knew how to surround himself with a bunch of really diverse players, and he did some great treatments to instruments. Here Come the Warm Jets is a great album.
Robert Fripp's solo on "St. Elmos Fire" on Another Green World is one of Robert's few solos that doesn't suck.

AngryGoldfish
08-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I bloody love the guy from Helmet. His weird chords are really heavy as hell. Thats the kind of Punk I really love, the weird, alternative stuff. It then retains the energy and style but it sounds different and totally obscure.

lolmnt
08-16-2008, 12:14 PM
O_O

I guess it's time to find a new forum hero...Agree.

D.Boon will always be my favorite guitar player.I bloody love the guy from Helmet. His weird chords are really heavy as hell. Thats the kind of Punk I really love, the weird, alternative stuff. It then retains the energy and style but it sounds different and totally obscure.I wouldn't call Helmet punk, but I do love them.

slayer_rule_\m/
08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
i don't like johnny thunders.
I like East bay ray the best.

Jett Diamond
08-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Robert Fripp's solo on "St. Elmos Fire" on Another Green World is one of Robert's few solos that doesn't suck.
Yeah Fripp irritates me, but within the context of his work with Brian Eno and David Bowie, I really dig him. Eno knew how to get the results he wanted out of the guitarists he wanted.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah Fripp irritates me, but within the context of his work with Brian Eno and David Bowie, I really dig him. Eno knew how to get the results he wanted out of the guitarists he wanted.
I also dig his solo in I Zimbra.

The Minutemen are great. D. Boon's playing is great, and Mike Watt is probably the biggest influence on my playing.

mike2
08-16-2008, 03:00 PM
um...rob asheton...i like his verse and chorus "same three chord over and over again" riffs...but his soloing is horrible, imo. It doesn't really match the song, it is sloppy, and thin. Idk, I love the stooges, but the solo parts always bothered me a little bit.

The dolls I love, it is perfect. I like Johnny Thunders guitaring, but he recycles it alot and his soloing starts to sound the same.

I like cheetah chrome and robert quine.

East Bay ray is my favorite, I like Mick Jones too.

I hate hardcore **** and ska **** and hippie ****

BrianApocalypse
08-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Robert Fripp throughout his career, not just with eno is a decent player, but very inconsistent.

Not just solo-wise, song wise too.

I agree with Rizzo.

pinheadslts75
08-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I like a lot of Lou Reed's playing, particularly on "I Heard Her Call My Name".

Now, I love Greg Ginn, but the problem is, his solos that are worthwhile are on songs from when Black Flag wasn't punk anymore. Case in point, The Process of Weeding Out EP.

Oh, and I love Billy Zoom from X and Robert Quine.

Hello.Kitty
08-16-2008, 04:19 PM
I partied with the guitarist of Suicidal Tendencies. It was cool.

devourthekitten
08-16-2008, 04:44 PM
doodthatspunk

RizzoWashburn
08-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Bruce Springsteen is the ****. And he totally counts cause he wrote songs with Patti Smith.

EDIT: I also agree with Rizzo.

Also, Robert Quine is great and Robert Fripp too occasionally. And I LOVE Mick Ronson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGWYGR3xy2Y This has got to be one of my favorite live clips. It's been in my favorites for years. It's ****ing iconic.
Don't get me wrong, I love Mick Ronson, but that's a **** solo.

RizzoWashburn
08-16-2008, 05:03 PM
:)

SuperBlob
08-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Bob Quine was brilliant

And that is all that needs to be said :p:

Mav-16
08-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I like a lot of Lou Reed's playing, particularly on "I Heard Her Call My Name".

Now, I love Greg Ginn, but the problem is, his solos that are worthwhile are on songs from when Black Flag wasn't punk anymore. Case in point, The Process of Weeding Out EP.

Oh, and I love Billy Zoom from X and Robert Quine.

AGREED

**** Rollins and his ****ty singing and all that garbage, Listen to the MUSIC. Ginn was bloody brilliant, he uses some of the sweetest riffs, like the songs, My War, Can't Decide, and Beat My Head Against the Wall, damn Ginn does some sick ass **** with his Guitar.

Greg Ginn is a HUGE influence on my playing, along with

East Bay Ray

Johnny Thunders

Ted Falconi

Tom Flynn

Craig Gray

Pete Townsend

pinheadslts75
08-16-2008, 06:20 PM
AGREED

**** Rollins and his ****ty singing and all that garbage, Listen to the MUSIC. Ginn was bloody brilliant, he uses some of the sweetest riffs, like the songs, My War, Can't Decide, and Beat My Head Against the Wall, damn Ginn does some sick ass **** with his Guitar.

No, not agreed.

Don't put words in my mouth. I thought Rollins was the best of all the Black Flag vocalists.

RizzoWashburn
08-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Ok, so I love Black Flag, and I love Greg Ginn's guitar parts, but I ****ing hate his solos. Everybody is always all "They're not supposed to be good" or "It's because he's a jazz player" or whatever.

Well ya know what, I play jazz, and I don't solo like a retarded monkey! It's like for some reason people feel the need to protect Greg Ginn. It's ****ing annoying.

axeslash
08-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I like Greg Ginn and his solos. I guess all you silly East Coasters and Eurofags wouldn't understand.

Adam_Harrison9
08-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Chris Hannah. Enough said. By far the best guitarist involved in some form of punk music.

axeslash
08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Was Chris Hannah in Anti-Flag?

Adam_Harrison9
08-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Was Chris Hannah in Anti-Flag?

No, but you could change that with Justin Sane and he's still better than 3/4 fo the pieces of **** that are out there. Sorry, are my favourite guitarists not old enough to be in this forum? I guess they do have to be from punk in the 80's.

SeeEmilyPlay
08-16-2008, 06:54 PM
:)

werty22
08-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Johnny Thunders - I like his sloppy style. A lot of his solos sound the same, but I don't care.

Cheetah Chrome - He's alright but he sounds pretty similar to Thunders to me.

Robert Quine - Very good. Melodic, but "angular" (whatever that means). Nice strat tone.

Tom Verlaine - His solos sound awkward and don't flow well, but that's what makes him unique. He's surprisingly easy to imitate. He mostly seems to use the mixolydian mode with small melodic intervals (major or minor seconds) and lots of vibrato. He didn't play along to albums like most guitarists. That's why he developed a strange way of playing.

Richard Lloyd - More technically proficient than Verlaine. I like his tone on the albums. His parts are double tracked.

Mick Jones - Lacks originality and technical ability. He's pretty overrated. He has a few good solos though. He's not bad, just average.

East Bay Ray - Kind of like Syd Barret, but faster. He's OK, but honestly I prefer Syd Barret, or David Gilmour for that matter.

I thought the playing in that Fifteen song was pretty good, but the song itself sounded kind of generic. And there was too much distortion for my taste. For me, technical playing and and thick distortion don't mix. Unless it's fuzz, like Jimi Hendrix or David Gilmour.

mike2
08-16-2008, 07:06 PM
david gilmour...not a fan...

axeslash
08-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Note to Self: Pissing off Adam_Harrison9 is too easy.

mike2
08-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Note to Self: Pissing off Adam_Harrison9 is too easy.

here...watch this:

ANTI-FLAG SUCKS, MARK UNSEEN HAS A HORRID VOICE AND I HEAR THE LEAD SINGER OF THE CASIALTIES HAS DOWN SYNDROME!

RiotRiotUpstart
08-16-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't think that Cheetah Chrome is THAT good. He's alright though, and it was cool how he came to post here.

Cheetah Chrome posted here? What?!

gopherthegreat
08-16-2008, 09:09 PM
I agree with Jerry Garcia. As unpunk as it is, they're one of my all-time favorite bands.

My favorite Punk guitarists are East Bay Ray, Cheetah Chrome, Lou Reed, and Johnny Ramone

mike2
08-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Cheetah Chrome posted here? What?!

i don't remember that at all...i remember the guy from government issue used to post here...

ss311
08-17-2008, 10:41 AM

That's a bit of an exxageration. I haven't called anyone a **** today.

Your spelling is the pits, Matt.
:no:

sebbsmith
08-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Steve Jones is a great guitarist, as well as a song writer. Yet he wasn't so good that it pissed off over Rotten's snarling voice.

BrianApocalypse
08-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Your spelling is the pits, Matt.
:no:

MY spelling is the pits?

You can't even spell my f*cking name right.

It's MAT!

Justin Sane really f*cking sucks at guitar. He's even worse than that Chris Cheney.

Adam_Harrison9
08-17-2008, 03:55 PM
How sad. You actually think I care about what a bunch of pretentious asshole "p0nx" think about on the internet. Bless you all. The amount of time I spend browsing this board nowadays shows that I certianly do not care.

RizzoWashburn
08-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Lulz it worked!

BrianApocalypse
08-17-2008, 05:07 PM
How sad. You actually think I care about what a bunch of pretentious asshole "p0nx" think about on the internet. Bless you all. The amount of time I spend browsing this board nowadays shows that I certianly do not care.

:haha

mike2
08-17-2008, 06:46 PM

what are you a ****ing priest, blessing us and ****...

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM
what are you a ****ing priest, blessing us and ****...
:haha :haha :haha

Blastiiid
08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I really like East Bay Ray/6025 from Dead Kennedys...

o-brien
08-17-2008, 11:15 PM
not sure if anybody mentioned him, but Bob Stinson had the weirdest and coolest style of playing I've ever heard. Sorry, Ma... (replacements) was a punk record IMO, so in general I would consider him a punk guitarist. Off-kilter and totally awesome.

obviously Deniz Tek, all the radio birdman stuff was A+. But he really kills it on New Race "the first and the last" tour. I have the CD of this and in a lot of the songs, he's a technical, solo ripping machine. I really appreciate the clarity he plays with. it's a rare thing to hear on a punk record.

but to be honest, i mean ****. i like Thunders a lot. East Bay Ray is strange and wonderful too. Paul Cripple (reagan youth) is a goddamn machine on Urban Savages, Queen Babylon, etc. I can't even describe my love affair with the 3 minute guitar part in that song. He's probably my #1, actually.

Iluvpowerchords
08-17-2008, 11:39 PM
not sure if anybody mentioned him, but Bob Stinson had the weirdest and coolest style of playing I've ever heard. Sorry, Ma... (replacements) was a punk record IMO, so in general I would consider him a punk guitarist. Off-kilter and totally awesome.

You deserve a high five for being awesome *High Fives*

His guitar playing beings to not be as wrong or as weird as the band evolved and eventually Westerberg got rid of him entirely but his guitar playing worked for the band.

I like the way that Robert Christgau put it: "Circa Let It Be, Bob Stinson's guitar was a loud, unkempt match for Paul Westerberg's vocal, only he'd juice the notes with a little something extra and probably wrong, defining a band whose idea of inspiration was crashing into a snowbank and coming out with a six-pack."

Iluvpowerchords
08-18-2008, 12:48 AM
MY spelling is the pits?

You can't even spell my f*cking name right.

It's MAT!

Yer name is not Brian?

Lulz.

Adarsh
08-18-2008, 01:59 AM
I really like Billy Zoom's stuff on early X albums....

axeslash
08-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Pig Champion was sweet.

Mav-16
08-18-2008, 02:56 AM
Pig Champion was sweet.

+ A million

totally forgot about Poison Idea, I think I'm gonna listen to them now

BrianApocalypse
08-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Yer name is not Brian?

Lulz.

No, Brian Apocalypse is in fact not my real name, strange as it is to believe.

lavazza
08-18-2008, 08:33 AM

Mat is more confusing.......I mean a three letter first name pffffff........whoops

axeslash
08-18-2008, 08:54 AM
My name is better. It has two t's, for twice the action!

lavazza
08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
My name is better. It has two t's, for twice the action!

it´s also pronounceable for people who stutter

axeslash
08-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Damn straight.

BrianApocalypse
08-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Mat is more confusing.......I mean a three letter first name pffffff........whoops

oh yeah?

Well in Germany, ALL the words look like this: schßlöß

So I wouldn't complain! :p:

SuperBlob
08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
oh yeah?

Well in Germany, ALL the words look like this: schßlöß

So I wouldn't complain! :p:
That would be pronounced

Shhsslerrsss

Would it not?

BrianApocalypse
08-18-2008, 03:04 PM
That would be pronounced

Shhsslerrsss

Would it not?

Probably, it's not an actual word, it's just generalisation. Plus I don't think they use the S Tzet any more. The closest actual word is probably the one for castle which I can't spell.

mike2
08-18-2008, 03:22 PM

it's not johnny skull**** either? wow...i am confused :o

777Corey
08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't like Ron Asheton. Very mediocre.

Sorry I have to be so blunt, but that is a stupid ****ing statement, he is amazing.
Without Ron there would be no punk rock - it wasn't Iggy by himself.
(and if you're a douchebag like Marky Ramone - do some homework before trying to sAy Ramones or Sex Pistols started punk.)

mbbmalcolm
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
My favorite punk guitarists would have to be:
-Ron Asheton
-Richard Lloyd
-Tom Verlaine
-Bob Quine
-Steve Jones
-Greg Ginn
-East Bay Ray

Personally, I find Johnny Ramone and Johnny Thunders to be overrated. Mick Jones too. While I like the Clash, his guitar work just doesn't do it for me.

pinheadslts75
08-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Sorry I have to be so blunt, but that is a stupid ****ing statement, he is amazing.
Without Ron there would be no punk rock - it wasn't Iggy by himself.
(and if you're a douchebag like Marky Ramone - do some homework before trying to sAy Ramones or Sex Pistols started punk.)

Even without Ron, there would still be the Dolls.

And The MC5. And The Velvets. Think about what you type before you type it. Douchebag.

777Corey
08-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Even without Ron, there would still be the Dolls.

And The MC5. And The Velvets. Think about what you type before you type it. Douchebag.

I agree, but the same style would not be there, The Velvets were not on a punk path, they had a gritty appeal, and had some lyrics that could classify, but the sound wasnt there (great sound, but not what would turn into punk.)
The MC5 are ****ing amazing, and have a more aggressive sound, but still had a more classic/blues rooted feel (for most, not for all). And the vocals were completely unrevolutionary.
The Dolls were probably the closest to making your arguement sound less like an attack and more like it was thought through, but in the end they were more pop. They were still loud, outrageous, and Johnny was aggressive, but the sound was still grounded in the Rock N Roll (great as it is) built by Chuck Berry and the other early greats. Stooges were the first ones to be able to not only have all these plausible qualities in the other bands present, but make a sound that wasnt really grounded in anything but making ****ing noise at first.
I did think through what I typed, thanks asshole.

prplhazed
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
You deserve a high five for being awesome *High Fives*

His guitar playing beings to not be as wrong or as weird as the band evolved and eventually Westerberg got rid of him entirely but his guitar playing worked for the band.

I like the way that Robert Christgau put it: "Circa Let It Be, Bob Stinson's guitar was a loud, unkempt match for Paul Westerberg's vocal, only he'd juice the notes with a little something extra and probably wrong, defining a band whose idea of inspiration was crashing into a snowbank and coming out with a six-pack."

*high fives all around*
the replacements let it be might be my favorite album of all time
first given to me at my church actually, this guy just sorta handed me a burned copy of it and said "here i think youl like this...."

:wtf:

edit: for guitar i like stinson ok, probly my fav is verlaine

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Let it Be is great although I'm more of a fan of Tim and Pleased to Meet Me

Iluvpowerchords
08-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I think I like Tim best.

But the "Big Three" are all very high up on my list of favorite albums. Sometimes I like one of the other two more.

Pleased to Meet Me has "Valentine" which is one of my absolute favorites.

Let it Be has "I Will Dare" and the ungodly awesome "Favorite Thing"

Their early hardcore stuff is real great too.

It's cool that they have a song in Rock Band 2 even though I'll prolly never actually get to play the game.

Paul is my absolute favorite songwriter.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-18-2008, 11:43 PM
^ Alex Chilton's gonna be in it right?

Iluvpowerchords
08-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Yep.

Rock Band's songlist looks way cooler than the new Hero.

I like how "Lump" is in it. Nothing like playing the guitar track of a guy who's guitar only has three strings.

prplhazed
08-18-2008, 11:58 PM
lol at lump
i actually like what iv heard from his band, admittedly only singles though

Im ashamed to admit i dont have Tim or pleased to meet me, so even though iv heard some of the songs i havent had time to really listen to them

Hmmmmmmmmmm maybe i need a goddamn job

pinheadslts75
08-19-2008, 12:08 AM
I agree, but the same style would not be there, The Velvets were not on a punk path, they had a gritty appeal, and had some lyrics that could classify, but the sound wasnt there (great sound, but not what would turn into punk.)
The MC5 are ****ing amazing, and have a more aggressive sound, but still had a more classic/blues rooted feel (for most, not for all). And the vocals were completely unrevolutionary.
The Dolls were probably the closest to making your arguement sound less like an attack and more like it was thought through, but in the end they were more pop. They were still loud, outrageous, and Johnny was aggressive, but the sound was still grounded in the Rock N Roll (great as it is) built by Chuck Berry and the other early greats. Stooges were the first ones to be able to not only have all these plausible qualities in the other bands present, but make a sound that wasnt really grounded in anything but making ****ing noise at first.
I did think through what I typed, thanks asshole.

The point I was trying to make is that no one band is responsible for punk.

If The stooges hadn't existed, punk would have still existed. There were countless other influences that fed off into punk rock.

lavazza
08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Probably, it's not an actual word, it's just generalisation. Plus I don't think they use the S Tzet any more. The closest actual word is probably the one for castle which I can't spell.

we do use "ß".......wanna leanr a word with "ß"?

Scheiße=shit

That would be pronounced

Shhsslerrsss

Would it not?

basically yes.......the "ö" is a bit different, but not much.........it rather sounds like Albanian to me

BrianApocalypse
08-20-2008, 08:31 AM
You still use the ß? My german teacher told us that it was becoming archaic and unused.

Miaw! Ich esse Maus und Apple Pie Aus England für bin ich einen Kätschen!

lavazza
08-20-2008, 09:18 AM
still don´t understand anything.....after the spelling reform it was often displaced, but we still use it, since "scheiße" is extremely important