forearm pain!

PDA

View Full Version : forearm pain!

ReefTECK
08-17-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm doing these exercises to work my fingers and get them warmed up and my forearm starts to hurt like crazy! Does this go away once your arms become well conditioned to shredding?

Goofy question, but I wonder.....

ltz,
-andy

ThatsAgood1jay
08-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Preacher curls required. Your forearm flexors are weak and dont like the shred.

xxdarrenxx
08-17-2008, 02:56 AM
lol

You should relax your arm more. But maybe ur doing too difficult exercises which u need proper technique/musle for.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm doing these exercises to work my fingers and get them warmed up and my forearm starts to hurt like crazy! Does this go away once your arms become well conditioned to shredding?

Goofy question, but I wonder.....

ltz,
-andy

Firstly this should go in either advanced techniques are guitar & bass basics, not here.

Secondly there could be any number of reasons why your arm hurts, but kind of pain is it and exactly where in your arm is it?

ReefTECK
08-17-2008, 10:54 PM
aww man, you forum guys and all of your rules; "this goes here, that topic goes there" Sorry, it's all kind of ambiguous to me.

To explain the pain, I might explain the warmup; I run up and down the fret board

e|-------------------------1-2-1
B|--------------------1-2--------2-1------------------------------------------so on and so forth
G|---------------1-2------------------2-1-------------------------------2-3
D|----------1-2----------------------------2-1---------------------2-3
A|-----1-2--------------------------------------2-1-----------2-3
E|1-2------------------------------------------------2-1-2-3

and then 1-3, 2-4, 3-5's and 1-4, 2-5, 3-6's etc. alternating the fingers I use, it's a MAB warm up. My index and middle run is good and strong, my index and ring are good, but using middle & pinky, or middle & ring finger I get this tightness and pain that runs down the muscle that runs half way down my ulna, I believe in what you call the extensor muscle.

I think the idea is to build strength there and maybe it's hurting less. But from what I gather this is something that goes away with practice? It may be irrelevant but I'd like to know if this type of soreness can be worked out with exercise and practice.

Thanks for the input,
Andy \\m//

Daryl_Summers
08-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Do you stretch your arms before hand?

Zaphod_Beeblebr
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
The key question is really what kind of pain is it? If it's a kind of burning like you get when you've been running for a while or doing any kind of exercise and you're worn out then that fine but if it's anything else you should look at what you might be doing wrong.

ReefTECK
08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
No I don't stretch much before I start warming up, but I do stretch my arm between each exercise.

Yeah I think it's quite similar to the burn you get when your running, I'm not very athletic, so it's been a while since I've got that kind of burn.

It sounds like it's probably normal, and I hope with time it will go away entirely so I can shred at 2000 notes per minute for hours on end! yeah right lol....

-Andy \\m//