A singing tip for getting a hoarse sound to my voice...

PDA

View Full Version : A singing tip for getting a hoarse sound to my voice...

MrGoodyear812
08-17-2008, 08:06 PM
im a classicly trained singer and im starting a band along the lines of foo fighters and i can sing their songs i just need help getting that gritty quality ot my voice...anytips?

heck i look like dave gohl according to every person i meet at guitar center haha

hes a huge musical hero for me

thanks in advance

stratguy335
08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Smoke. Or scream alot. Not like metal vocal screaming, but actually screaming. That should get your voice nice and gritty. Just don't do it in excess or you'll completely ruin your voice.

Hadeed
08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
if ur a classically trained singer, I strongly recommend you stick to that. Why sound like somebody else when you can sound like yourself? that plus trying to add any effects like that to your voice is like putting your wang in a blender.

save your voice and sing properly.

Limabean231
08-17-2008, 08:17 PM
You don't have to a gritty voice to sing in a rock band.
If you do try adding a hoarse sound to your voice be careful not to ruin it.

Kozlic
08-17-2008, 08:17 PM
you gotta push yourself like you would be screaming but ur not actually...
It's hard to explain it...

otherkid
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Its hard to explain, its like singing from the back of your throat in a low tone.

axemanchris
08-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Stratguy and Hadeed +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1.

You can't make Angus sound like SRV. You can't make Kirk Hammet sound like Al Dimeola. You can't make Neil Diamond sound like Lemmy.

Sing the way you sing - especially if you are trained. Don't be an idiot and wreck it.

CT

SlackerBabbath
08-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Stratguy and Hadeed +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1.

You can't make Angus sound like SRV. You can't make Kirk Hammet sound like Al Dimeola. You can't make Neil Diamond sound like Lemmy.

Sing the way you sing - especially if you are trained. Don't be an idiot and wreck it.

CT

^He's right y'know, I only sing in a Sabbath tribute because I happen to naturaly sound a bit like Ozzy when I sing.
Man, if only I was classicaly trained....

....I'd probably still be in a Sabbath tribute but doing the Dio stuff instead. :D

Joking aside, my point is, if you're gonna cover something so closely to the extent that you wish to sound just like them, choose someone to cover who resembles and suits your own voice with maybe only a tiny bit of modification, rather than altering your voice completely, because doing that can perminantly damage your voice.

axemanchris
08-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Yep. As much as I love AC/DC and Aerosmith, I would *kill* my voice trying to do that stuff - never mind the fact I'd sound totally lame doing it. That leaves me (for the rare times I do covers) doing stuff like Collective Soul, Bush, Pearl Jam, Matthew Sweet, Cheap Trick, Foo Fighters, etc. Good thing I like that stuff too. :D

The flip side of that is this: If you have an 'extreme' voice where you just naturally sound like Brian Johnson or somebody, you're actually pretty limited in what you can pull off convincingly.

CT

Sonic Blast
08-18-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm commented on my classical bass voice and it's tone and sound a lot but people have told me that i sound like axl when i've sung GN'R and i sound like jim morrison sometimes. However, I'm thinking that that is a very great gift.

I actually have the full range to sing all of those though.

luke-bassist
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
keep your voice as it is. You should be your own person. If you listen to axl rose in the eighties/early nineties, then listen to recent ones (on youtube), you can tell how much he has wrecked his voice from screeching.

Shredder XXX
08-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I think people are totally misguided on the idea of adding 'grit' to your voice.

First the technical term is Fire, and all it is, is a soft vibration of your false cords whilst you're singing. You achieve this by creating that cat sound "reeeeoooowwww" you know the one.

Do it a few times, feel that vibration through your soft palette and cords. Now, pick a note, and sound it as a "zzzzzzz" now apply the aforementioned vibration to it and you get a crunchy 'zzzzz'

Now substitute the notes for melodies and the z's for words and you sir are singing crunchy as you like and doing no harm.

Things not to do: smoke, yell, scream (incorrectly), drink soda-esk drinks. All of these things will hinder your progress.

axemanchris
08-19-2008, 11:45 AM
So by constricting your throat to put it into the 'meow' formation, and having your vocal cords rub together more coarsely than they should is doing no harm?!

CT

Cyberbob
08-21-2008, 05:44 AM
Keep your own tone, for two reasons.

1: It's YOUR voice, and is unique sounding - why imitate anyone else? People enjoy a good voice for it's unique qualities, not because it sounds like someone else's.

2: The advice nearly everyone has been giving you will seriously wreck your voice. As a classically trained singer, this will seriously impair your ability to sing well for your classical tunes, and will set you back weeks, if not months of training. It will leave your voice raw, sore and very vulnerable to infection.

MASTER768
08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd have to agree, keep your own tone. Your voice can add a twist to any Foo Fighters songs you cover.

I'm impressed by a good cover, but even more impressed if the band can somehow make the song their own.