Joe Strummer - Island Hopping

PDA

View Full Version : Joe Strummer - Island Hopping

lavazza
08-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Anyone got this 33' ?
My brother brought it to me......itīs a bit like Sandinista in a Hawaiian feeling.......comments?

BrianApocalypse
08-18-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm not a fan of Joe pre-emptive Cummer's solo work, surprisingly.

lavazza
08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
You donīt? You the biggest fan of The Clash? The UG Sandinista?

SeeEmilyPlay
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
:)

lavazza
08-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Iīve seen two of your posts.......both are the same, you are an inventive man.........woman

axeslash
08-18-2008, 08:53 AM
She likes to post smily faces.

I_Pwn
08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
She likes to post smily faces.

And she likes Pink Floyd. She definately loses punx points for that.

RizzoWashburn
08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
^Brian will have your head

BrianApocalypse
08-18-2008, 02:37 PM
^Brian will have your head

F*cking right I will.

Most punk is in some way influenced by the Syd Barrett era Floyd.

It's most apparent through Lydon and Pepperell.

mike2
08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
F*cking right I will.

Most punk is in some way influenced by the Syd Barrett era Floyd.

It's most apparent through Lydon and Pepperell.

what? Lydon? :confused:

BrianApocalypse
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, even though Lydon publicly hated Pink Floyd, he was very influenced by the Krautrock bands (for example Neu!) who decided to continue the theme laid down by Piper At The Gates.

A lot of people see the Barrett era of Floyd as being hippie stuff, but they were actually much darker and far more into LSD than the hippies (or at least Barrett was more into LSD!)

When they toured the west coast they were amazed at how laid back and normal everyone was.

I'd love to get my hands on some acid. Given the right conditions I'd come up with some incredible music, albeit at the cost of my sanity. Great.

RizzoWashburn
08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
My dad was a hippie and dropped acid. He's fine as far as I know.

mbbmalcolm
08-18-2008, 10:36 PM
My parents were hippies, but they hated Pink Floyd. I don't mind them, I actually kinda like some songs. And I agree, Lydon, especially in PiL, was very influenced by Floyd and other prog rock.

To stay on topic, no, I do not have Island Hopping, but Ill probably come around to getting it one of these days.

lavazza
08-19-2008, 06:52 AM
My dad likes Pink Floyd......I have no problem with them I think......but I dislike Roger Waters and David Gilmour. and I disliek that noone said a word about Island Hopping. to keep it in your mind: Itīs and album by Strummer, not Gilmour!

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-19-2008, 07:34 AM
This forum gets off topic a lot. In just 14 posts, it went from being about Island Hopping to Pink Floyd not being punk, to Syd Barrett's influence on punk, to Brian talking about how he wants to drop acid, to people talking about their parnts being hippies. Oh yeah, I like Pink Floyd and I haven't heard Island Hopping. I might have to check it out, though, it sounds interesting

lavazza
08-19-2008, 08:53 AM
This forum gets off topic a lot. In just 14 posts, it went from being about Island Hopping to Pink Floyd not being punk, to Syd Barrett's influence on punk, to Brian talking about how he wants to drop acid, to people talking about their parnts being hippies. Oh yeah, I like Pink Floyd and I haven't heard Island Hopping. I might have to check it out, though, it sounds interesting

it might be kind of hard to find, because my brother called me:
"You want an MDC LP?"
"Which one?"
"Millions of Damn Christians."
"Nice. Take it."
"Thereīs also a Joe Strumemr LP I donīt know."
"Then take that"

But Iīve never heard of that LP before

BrianApocalypse
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM
My dad was a hippie and dropped acid. He's fine as far as I know.

That's because your dad doesn't have very slight mental illness that can be brought out and developed using psychoactive substances, like Peter, Syd and me.

There's a story about Joe Strummer getting high and becoming lost in a forest, looking for his false teeth.

crustyreed
08-20-2008, 03:05 PM
That's because your dad doesn't have very slight mental illness that can be brought out and developed using psychoactive substances, like Peter, Syd and me.

There's a story about Joe Strummer getting high and becoming lost in a forest, looking for his false teeth.

**** brian i can't beleive i never told you. When i was roadying for the pietasters they were telling me about this tour in probaly 95-96-97 (somewhere in those years) where Joe went with them for a week or two and he made them find him schwag/lower quality because he thought most american bud was too strong

BrianApocalypse
08-20-2008, 05:56 PM
My, what a man.