Is it possible to burn out on punk?

PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to burn out on punk?

Billy M
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Lots of punk is angry and pessimistic, concerning change of some nature on one subject or another, be it political, personal, concerning society, etc. I saw an interview with Tim McIlrath from Rise Against where he mentioned this and how people can burn out on things like politics and punk rock, because there's so much crap and suffering that you can't change that it becomes overwhelming. His point was that even though it's impossible to change everything, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to change anything.

But this got me thinking. I used to be a happy little kid, and then I got engrossed in various types of punk and turned into this negative guy. True, it could've just been due to teenage years, but I think punk's pessimism had an influence. I mean, the pop-punk Offspring kicked it off for me. I thought "Pretty Fly for A white Guy" (worst song ever, coming from an Offspring fan) was hilarious in 1998, so I bought Americana. Then, I listened to the lyrics of much better songs, like "Americana" and "The Kids Aren't Alright" and became a fan. Next, I got all their albums, and Smash has a ton of negative lyrics that ring true for me:

"Dog eat dog, every day, on our fellow man we prey. Dog eat dog, to get by, hope you like my genocide."
"Superpowers flex their wings, hold the world on puppet strings. Egos will feed while citizens bleed, that's always the way it goes."

Then I got into Pennywise, Bad Religion, The Unseen, The Suicide Machines and Rise Against. Bad Religion obviously bashes everything pertaining to society 'cause everything is a mess. Pennywise has a good share of it as well, like the obvious example in the song "Society". Any punk is like this. So, it occurred to me the fact that I'm always pissed is because I'm a punk rock burn out. Somehow all the negativity became addicting. I think Tim is right. Anyone else?

lolmnt
08-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Do you mean getting tired of the music?

If so then yes, but I always come back.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Or your a teenager, and therefore, are always pissed off.
Yeah you can get tired of punk, just like any other genre.

SG6578
08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Tim McIlrath is f*cking smart, that's all I'm gonna say.

Jett Diamond
08-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm burned out on punk rock. Which doesn't mean I still don't love pieces of it to death.

sargasm
08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I've gotten tired of punk before, but mainly because I wanted something different musically.

I came back to it before too long though, because I love everything about it.

Gbe
Punk is in itself a kind of guerilla inside the very society it's agaisnt, nowadays punks are way less active in their punkyness, even rap crap it taking over the turfs that the punks should be hangin' in. It's more of a sneaky way to sell power chords to youngsters than a real, should I say, guerilla radio (no pun to ratm, just fitted to the cause) filling their soldiers with adrenaline rushes.

Third3ye
Well, I don't look too closely at the meaning of lyrics. I mean, I'm not a fan of most of the bands you named, but even for bands I love, I listen to the lyrics and get the mood from them, but if it's too vague, I don't try to make something out of it. In the case of Punk music: if it sounds like pointless ranting, (because that's what you're expected to do as punk rockers) then it wouldn't move me much either. Over half the time, there's nothing specific to what they're complaining about, they just want to rant and rant and rant.

But then there's bands like Rage that actually seem to know what they're talking about. In that case, I can understand the music affecting your mood. I mean if you think you need a break from it, then take a break from it. Or just don't over analyze it so much. So many of my friends will say a song is "depressing" when I simply think it's pleasant.

Billy M
08-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Do you mean getting tired of the music?

If so then yes, but I always come back.

No, I meant become kind of like alost cause of a human. But yes, I agree, all music genres get boring after a while, but sound great again a few weeks or months later.

sargasm
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
But then there's bands like Rage that actually seem to know what they're talking about.

Oh btw we're talking about punk

And to speak to the original topic, I think the famous Emma Goldman quote is relevant as always:

"If I can't dance, I don't want your revolution"

Basically what she was saying is that anarchism and all that jazz can be fun, and people don't have to be so serious about it all the time.

Billy M
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, I don't look too closely at the meaning of lyrics. I mean, I'm not a fan of most of the bands you named, but even for bands I love, I listen to the lyrics and get the mood from them, but if it's too vague, I don't try to make something out of it. In the case of Punk music: if it sounds like pointless ranting, (because that's what you're expected to do as punk rockers) then it wouldn't move me much either. Over half the time, there's nothing specific to what they're complaining about, they just want to rant and rant and rant.

But then there's bands like Rage that actually seem to know what they're talking about. In that case, I can understand the music affecting your mood. I mean if you think you need a break from it, then take a break from it. Or just don't over analyze it so much. So many of my friends will say a song is "depressing" when I simply think it's pleasant.

Yeah, actually there are a lot of punk bands that are smart and not just pissed off ranters. Rise Against is one. They always say in interviews that they're trying to impose change on listeners as the more bitter pill to swallow than your average music.

lolmnt
08-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I try to not get my political views from punk songs. They're good to get you thinking, but they shouldn't be your final authority in your views.

axeslash
08-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Oh btw we're talking about punk

And to speak to the original topic, I think the famous Emma Goldman quote is relevant as always:

"If I can't dance, I don't want your revolution"

Basically what she was saying is that anarchism and all that jazz can be fun, and people don't have to be so serious about it all the time.I think what she meant was "PUNK RAWK OI OI UP THA PUNX!"

sargasm
08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
I think what she meant was "PUNK RAWK OI OI UP THA PUNX!"

Emma Goldman was more punk than any of us will ever be.

yeahyeah
08-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I've gotten tired of punk before, but mainly because I wanted something different musically.

I came back to it before too long though, because I love everything about it.
Same

And punk usually males me feel optimistic/warm and fuzzy

and that Emma Goldman quote is the shizz

RizzoWashburn
08-19-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't find political lyrics depressing. Sure, they're not the most cheerful of subject matter, but this isn't the most cheerful of worlds. It would be easy so simply ignore the bull**** in society and start listening to happy, escapist music; but I'd like to think that part of punk rock is a sense of social responsibility.

*-)

prplhazed
08-19-2008, 11:08 PM
If i understand your post you mean getting tired of caring about everything so hard?

In my opinion you dont have to. Changing the world doesnt have to be on a global scale involving governments (or anarchy for some on this forum :o ); living your life in a committed fashion that you believe in changes the world too.

original=punk
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
tl;dr

do you mean to become jaded? It's possible to be jaded about everything.

mike2
08-20-2008, 12:46 AM
I have never really gotten tired of punk musically cause there is a wide variety of punk that can quench any musical thirst, imo. From Folk to bluesy punk to crust punk to ska/regga punk..,lyrically, yeah, it can get a little boring to always hear bitching, but that is what the ramones and dead boys are for, then you switch over back to subhumans, stiff little fingers and rudimentary peni...

Adarsh
08-20-2008, 02:14 AM
He's not talking about it musically, he's just talking about the fact that you keep listening to lyrics of despair and you start becoming negative....

Erm, personally it doesn't affect me much. Sure, it's thinking matter, but I don't think it changed me much in the first place. Maybe makes me think more, but what's the harm in that...

FuzzyBear
08-20-2008, 05:16 AM
theres plenty of positive bands out there, just off the top of my head

H2o
7seconds
gorilla biscuits

i can see where your comming from, but ive never been bored with my favourite bands.

MHDrunk
08-20-2008, 05:53 AM
i ignore all politics in all music, i don't really agree with the idea that the message being more important than the music is a legitimate venture

i mainly listen to crust, and the monotony of it makes me 'burn out' on it, but i generally come back to it

BrianApocalypse
08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Then I got into Pennywise, Bad Religion, The Unseen, The Suicide Machines and Rise Against.

I'm a punk rock burnout because of c*nts like you.

BrianApocalypse
08-20-2008, 08:08 AM
tl;dr

do you mean to become jaded? It's possible to be jaded about everything.

What the f*ck is wrong with you people.

If you can't be bothered to read, don't post.

lavazza
08-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Im a rather negative person and additionally very political and also somehow left and green, so it doesnt disturb me.......whats getting on my nerves is party punk. Furthermore Punk is such a wide genre, from the Stooges to Crass to The Unseen, that I always find something I like and when Im tired of anything I listen to the Subhumans, theyre good in any mood

StreetLight3989
08-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Yes, I've gotten tired of punk before, but I'll always come back. Basically punk was and always will be my favorite genre. It's just so broad and there's so much in it, you've got pop punk, folk punk, hardcore, '77, anarcho, post punk and more. If I want some upbeat stuff I can just throw on The Ergs or The Queers. If I feel like dancing I could put on some Gang Of Four. If I'm feeling political I could put on Subhumans. If I'm angry I can put on Minor Threat and etc... Basically, there's punk for every mood, and yeah I've gotten tired of the genre, but I'll always go back no matter what.

RizzoWashburn
08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
^This concludes my 8th grade english essay.

Ska Wars
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
He's not talking about it musically, he's just talking about the fact that you keep listening to lyrics of despair and you start becoming negative....
Well then he doesn't listen to a lot of punk (which I think is obvious from the bands he listed in his first post). I've been into punk since I was twelve and I've never been burned out on it, and I don't see it happening any time soon. As Mike has said, there's so much variety, ranging from different styles to different lyrical themes/content. There are tons of bands who don't sing about negative things.

mike2
08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Well then he doesn't listen to a lot of punk (which I think is obvious from the bands he listed in his first post). I've been into punk since I was twelve and I've never been burned out on it, and I don't see it happening any time soon. As Mike has said, there's so much variety, ranging from different styles to different lyrical themes/content. There are tons of bands who don't sing about negative things.

yeah, and rise against suck, he should stop listening to them...

original=punk
08-20-2008, 01:20 PM
What the f*ck is wrong with you people.

If you can't be bothered to read, don't post.

Fine I read it, and my opinion still stands.

waterproofpie
08-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Why do you think that I incessantly listen to Animal Collective?

StreetLight3989
08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Because you're a hipster :p:?

I actually like Animal Collective a lot

Manos15
08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm burnt out on punk. I got sick of it then moved on to hardcore, now I'm growing tired of that too. Got sick of ska as well. But at least I know I'll never be into metal, thankfully.

waterproofpie
08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
I actually like Animal Collective a lot

:p: that's what I thought.

And seriously, if liking AC a ton makes me a hipster, then throw a pink keffiyeh on me and text me on your sidekick.

lolmnt
08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I also like Animal Collective.

Doolittle
08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I used to like them, but I got bored with them!
But between the Jonas Brothers and punk, I never get board with either.