Art Punk

PDA

View Full Version : Art Punk

sebbsmith
08-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Anybody know any good Punk bands that like to experiment? Anything like Refused, Les Savy Fav, F*cked Up, etc.

yeahyeah
08-21-2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.myspace.com/abiyoyos
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=7675800

kinda experimental stuff, not so much art though

sebbsmith
08-21-2008, 07:35 PM
The Difference Engine are great, cheers!

pinheadslts75
08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Velvet Underground
Television
Talking Heads

Jett Diamond
08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Velvet Underground
Television
Talking Heads
That's why I love you.

Don't forget to listen to Richard Hell and the Voidoids. Brian Eno is also pretty big on experimenting, and has some stuff that is related to punk (albums: Here Come the Warm Jets and Taking Tiger Mountain. Songs: Needles in the Camel's Eye, Baby's on Fire).

EDIT: This thread needs more David Bowie! Most threads do really...but to summarize, I suggest David Bowie, as he's put out some fine shit one could call art rock / art punk. Moonage Daydream, Suffragette City...his Berlin period was pretty influential on post-punk, which has a lot to do with the art punk we're talking about here.

I also really dig the Libertines' first album (and a few cuts from their second) and don't care what anyone here says.

EDIT: My new solo project (http://www.myspace.com/conleychlamydiaa) is super art punk yo

original=punk
08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
There's a difference betwen sh*t and art.
For sh*t, see the bands you posted.
For art, see what pinhead stated.

opivy21
08-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I like Les Savvy Fav, though the label art punk is probably better applied to the bands pinheadslts mentioned, and I happen to prefer all of those bands as well.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Wire

StreetLight3989
08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Hmm, would like if we want to count Sonic Youth as punk their early stuff was really experimental. Also listen to the Television, Richard Hell, Velvet Underground, Wire and Talking Heads suggestions. Check out Gang Of Four and some other post punk stuff too.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-21-2008, 08:38 PM
If we count Sonic Youth, I'd like to include Big Black and the Butthole Surfers

werty22
08-21-2008, 08:40 PM
I always thought of most of the early NY punk and new wave scene and much of the British post-punk scene as being arty.

Talking Heads
Devo
Velvet Underground
Television
Richard Hell and the Voidoids
The Misfits' first EP (seems a little arty to me, although it's darker than most of this list)
Magazine
Wire
Public Image Ltd.
Gang of Four (kinda)
The Jam
The Clash's later stuff I suppose

Later:

Sonic Youth
My Bloody Valentine
Minutemen

Black Flag was pretty experimental, although they obviously didn't have an "arty" image. Same with The Dead Kennedys.

Note that I've only heard a few songs by some of these bands and I've using an EXTREMELY loose definition of "punk."

Edit: You also might be interested in Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart. The latter was pretty influential on the more experimental side of punk.

After reading the posts before me, I see that most of my list has already been mentioned.

mbbmalcolm
08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
If we count Sonic Youth, I'd like to include Big Black and the Butthole Surfers

Those bands used too much potty humor to be considered art. but, um, Television and the other bands already mentioned are the only really arty bands I know.

neidnarb11890
08-21-2008, 09:43 PM
The Pop Group, if you consider them punk, which I do.

EDIT:
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've always thought of Crass as being a pretty 'arty' band.

EDIT II:
I saw this band from France one time called Ned. They opened for Ghost Mice. They were pretty arty as well.

Mav-16
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Flipper's Gone Fishin' definitely had an art influence on that album.

And I don't know if they count, but Pere Ubu

Doolittle
08-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Post-Modern Sounds (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=233069937)

Iluvpowerchords
08-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Flipper and Pere Ubu are all you need.

They were Art bands that actually made music...

yeahyeah
08-22-2008, 12:03 AM
oh, and Swell Maps are pretty cool too

Mav-16
08-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Flipper and Pere Ubu are all you need.

They were Art bands that actually made music...
:cheers:

BrianApocalypse
08-22-2008, 05:32 AM
Art punk is a grey area, because you'll either get genuinely talented creative types, or talentless pussies who hind behind their experimental-ness.

lavazza
08-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Noone said X-Ray Spex until now......I would count them in

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
08-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Not one mention of Mission of Burma?! I guess I'll be the first to say it then.

MISSION OF BURMA

I always thought of most of the early NY punk and new wave scene and much of the British post-punk scene as being arty.

Talking Heads
Devo
Velvet Underground
Television
Richard Hell and the Voidoids
The Misfits' first EP (seems a little arty to me, although it's darker than most of this list)
Magazine
Wire
Public Image Ltd.
Gang of Four (kinda)
The Jam
The Clash's later stuff I suppose

Later:

Sonic Youth
My Bloody Valentine
Minutemen

all those bands are great, but MBV aren't punk. :p:

sebbsmith
08-22-2008, 07:44 AM
There's a difference betwen sh*t and art.
For sh*t, see the bands you posted.
For art, see what pinhead stated.

Sorry for liking what you don't, asshole.

sebbsmith
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanx Guys:)

original=punk
08-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry for liking what you don't, asshole.

My opinion = fact.

Jett Diamond
08-22-2008, 04:52 PM
My opinion = fact.
It's true. I read it on the internet once.

HiImKindaNewAnd
08-22-2008, 09:14 PM
In a Wikipedia article? ;)

Jett Diamond
08-22-2008, 09:43 PM
In a Wikipedia article? ;)
Psh, no way. Wiki is way unreliable. I read it on xxfriendshipclubxx.blogz.com/blogspace/reliable_entries/Johns_Opinions_are_fact.htm

duh. Super reliable!

vmanoman
08-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Check out The Horrors. They're very similar to the Dead Kennedys.

Jett Diamond
08-22-2008, 10:38 PM
I've never listened to the Horrors actually, but I met their guitarist last year. I was at a show they were playing apparently and was feeling really anti-social and upset, so I went and kind of sat on the floor against the bar. He was doing the same thing and we talked a bit, he was really nice. Plus he has gnarly hair.
Coincidentally, I started downloading their album about twenty minutes before I read this post.
If they ain't amazing, I'm a kill you. Kaaay?

vmanoman
08-22-2008, 11:11 PM
your a lucky man to have met the horrors. they happen to be one of my fav bands

original=punk
08-23-2008, 10:22 PM

:kiss: :heart:

FuzzyBear
08-27-2008, 06:30 AM
i heard cursive described as art punk before, whatever that is

cursive are pretty decent though

whyvern
08-27-2008, 08:43 AM
The Difference Engine are great, cheers!

We played two shows with them on tour once... it was really awesome. Great people. Mobile has such an awesome punkrock scene.... too bad only half of them still live there. Their new band NO BABIES is really good as well.

Unseen_hero
08-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't understand the relevance or purpose of adding the word art to a genre. I guess if people didn't do that, we wouldn't be able to have arguments about where the line is drawn between post-punk, or post-post-punk, or poster punk.

But yea, Mission of Burma. I'd check out Pitchblende. They had a lot to do with some scatterbrained stuff going on in DC in the early 90's. You might like the first liars album, though it's the worst thing they've done, but probably the easiest to get into. The new no age i like a lot, has some more shoegaze elements than weirdo rippers. They're pretty punk ass. The only band more punk than them is the microphones. While on the subject, Abe Vigoda have a nice carribbean thing going on, and the delayed, reverb-soaked guitars will make you feel like a winner.

haha. art punk.

opivy21
08-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Yes! Abe Vigoda ****ing rules. No Age is alright too, but I seem to be one of the only ones that can't get into Nouns. I've said it before, but I can't stand Dean's voice. Weirdo Rippers is cool because it's so lo-fi and the vocals are distorted, but on Nouns it's just right in the front and out of tune. Still some good songs, though, and it might still grow on me.

Unseen_hero
08-31-2008, 04:08 AM
The vocals are still pretty low, low enough that songs like Cappo are fantastic.. but I agree, the one intolerable thing about no age are the vocals, he might as well sing on Dude Ranch or something. Have you seen either? I completely missed Abe in July on a bill with high places and no age.. high places were supposed to play first- alas, I got out of class late and abe happened to play first. Regardless, high places were hellishly good. Their new record is something to anticipate I think.

MaximumOverture
08-31-2008, 08:20 AM
The Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Crass etc.

lavazza
08-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Crass........yes thatīs deffenitely modern art......where people use their ass to paint (I like crass btw.)

BrianApocalypse
08-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Experimenting? No sir, I don't let my sexuality influence my music.

Oh wait, yes I do.

opivy21
08-31-2008, 11:40 AM
The vocals are still pretty low, low enough that songs like Cappo are fantastic.. but I agree, the one intolerable thing about no age are the vocals, he might as well sing on Dude Ranch or something. Have you seen either? I completely missed Abe in July on a bill with high places and no age.. high places were supposed to play first- alas, I got out of class late and abe happened to play first. Regardless, high places were hellishly good. Their new record is something to anticipate I think.
I haven't had the opportunity. I live in SC so the closest tours ever come is Atlanta, which is 3-3 1/2 hours away. I would have loved to see No Age/Abe Vigoda, but it's just not practical. I've never listened to High Places though, I'll have to check them out.