how do i plug in my headphones into my amp?

PDA

View Full Version : how do i plug in my headphones into my amp?

Rooskiy
08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
i was at a cousins house and he had this adapter thing which was like a small piece of metal that you plug ur headphones into and the n plug it into the amp. his came in a kit his mom bought him so he dont know what theyre called. please help me find this.... it didnt look like it'd cost more then 5 bucks. link please?

NKF176
08-24-2008, 01:03 PM
just put your phones in the slot that says phones...?

Led Head
08-24-2008, 01:08 PM
i think what your looking for/talking about is a simple 1/8" - 1/4" adapter which are sold at any electronic store like radio shack/the source.

Slanderous666
08-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Either a headphone jack on your amp or a weber headphone tap are the only things I know of. Why would you want to kill your amps tone in the first place and what kind of amp do you have?

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm

Jahoosafix
08-24-2008, 01:11 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/VTG-NNPJ-NEUTRIK-JUMBO-14IN-PHONE-PLUG?sku=336306

Slanderous666
08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
i think what your looking for/talking about is a simple 1/8" - 1/4" adapter which are sold at any electronic store like radio shack/the source.

Ah true this might be it but wouldnt that only work with a line out?

larrythelefty
08-24-2008, 01:16 PM
whats so confusing about this? stick your headphones in the headphone output and if you dont have an adapter go buy one

Slanderous666
08-24-2008, 01:33 PM
whats so confusing about this? stick your headphones in the headphone output and if you dont have an adapter go buy one

Alot of amps dont have a headphone jack so I think this is the problem hes having.

steven seagull
08-24-2008, 03:10 PM
i was at a cousins house and he had this adapter thing which was like a small piece of metal that you plug ur headphones into and the n plug it into the amp. his came in a kit his mom bought him so he dont know what theyre called. please help me find this.... it didnt look like it'd cost more then 5 bucks. link please?
If it has a headphone output then use that, if it doesn't then don't even try it, you'll probably blow the amp up.

madshatter
08-24-2008, 03:15 PM
you get a little converter thing at radio shack or guitar center or where ever... one side of the converter has a slot for your headphones and the other is the jack like on the end of your guitar cable. i don't recomend doing this because it just about completely destroys your tone and you can't blast it very high (at least with mine, yours might be different). the only reason i could see people using them would be for late night jamming if there are other people that live in your house.

steven seagull
08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
If an amp *doesn't* have a heaphone output it's usually for very good reason - I would strongly recommend against trying to connect headphones to any amp without an existing dedicated output unless you're using something like an attenuator or load box.

ecl1ps3
08-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah, what you need is a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. You can get 'em at Wal-Mart or Radioshack.

skvvisgaar
08-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Ah true this might be it but wouldnt that only work with a line out?
no, I use one for the headphones on my amp, or line out, works for both.

Tackleberry
08-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Line out and headphones are different. Line out is another way of saying FX send most of the time. On a tube amp using this for headphones is the best way of letting all the smoke out of the amp. If you have a headphone jack you shouldnt need an adapter, unless your using ones with a 1/8 in jack. But listen to the seagull, if you dont have a headphone jack then you cant use headphones.

drewfromutah
08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
What would happen if he put his headphones into his ext. speaker jack?

T!AN
08-24-2008, 07:49 PM
You'd fry your amp, because headphones don't match up the same why that speakers do.

steven seagull
08-24-2008, 07:53 PM
*frizzle*
*silence*

NSHSpolevault
08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
the ext speakers have to have a certain amount of ohms. well headphones have tiny speakers to and chances are they wont match up. how about he turns the volume down.