Fender Mustang or Jaguar?? which one should i get??

PDA

View Full Version : Fender Mustang or Jaguar?? which one should i get??

morty92_2
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi,

Well i got fed up of playing my dad's old acoustic electric over the past few years and now have finally scraped together enough money to buy my very own guitar that i can do whatever i want with.

I wanted to originally get a fender strat, but then saw the mustang and adored it, i know its similar to the strat but it was the little differences that made it stand out to me, but recently i came across the jaguar and I'm really liking its design of it. The prices are the same so i have no need of worry for money but I'm just stuck!

I unfortunately have never played either because the I'm getting them off the internet and my nearest music shop does not sell them, so Im asking you as a fellow guitarist which one would you recommend?????

Link to the Jaguar: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/37749

Link to the Mustang: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/36986

Cheers!

warsuxletsparty
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Jaguar.

nyeguitarist
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Get an american Jaguar.

Flying Couch
08-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Jag. No question.

Just2340
08-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Shaguar...erm...Jaguar

morty92_2
08-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Get an american Jaguar.

man i wish i could, thing of beauty but there not being made anymore it's the Japanese reissue im looking it, the american vintage is too far out of my price range

nyeguitarist
08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
man i wish i could, thing of beauty but there not being made anymore it's the Japanese reissue im looking it, the american vintage is too far out of my price range

Really? That sucks.
I wanted to buy a Telecaster Deluxe but there are no american made ones either.
I can't afford any vintage either.

morty92_2
08-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Really? That sucks.
I wanted to buy a Telecaster Deluxe but there are no american made ones either.
I can't afford any vintage either.

damm, that also sucks, it's a shame the vintage guitars are so expensive, kinda strange how some things get worth more and some things worth less as they age, its almost as annoying as this fly in my room pissing me the hell off.

David_Bowie=GOD
08-24-2008, 10:07 PM
im the only one saying go for the stang!

morty92_2
08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
i suppose in this situation the perfect guitar for me is the Jag-Stang, but unfortunately too expensive and hard to come across

David_Bowie=GOD
08-24-2008, 10:23 PM
i suppose in this situation the perfect guitar for me is the Jag-Stang, but unfortunately too expensive and hard to come across

Jag stangs are actually not that good, the pickups suck,

a mustang would be better

morty92_2
08-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Jag stangs are actually not that good, the pickups suck,

a mustang would be better

yeah but pickups can always be changed, plus i heard somewhere the jagstang was not finished for obvious reasons

David_Bowie=GOD
08-24-2008, 10:35 PM
yeah but pickups can always be changed, plus i heard somewhere the jagstang was not finished for obvious reasons

Yeah, Kurt Cobain wasnt happy with his.

morty92_2
08-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Yeah, Kurt Cobain wasnt happy with his.
yeah, but still would be fun owning a piece of history

David_Bowie=GOD
08-24-2008, 10:51 PM
true, just dont expect too much from it soundwise.

morty92_2
08-24-2008, 11:00 PM
true, just dont expect too much from it soundwise.

oh, i'll probably never buy one i was just saying it would be pretty cool because there rare and all

timzee117
08-24-2008, 11:08 PM
jags are so much more versatile

foodfight
08-25-2008, 01:16 AM
I have a Japanese Jag re-issue and it sounds absolutely fantastic; Jap guitars really do rival the USA made, especially for the money too.
You can do a hell of a lot of thing with the Jaguar, and the pickups are much better on all levels than a Mustang.

HighPotency
08-25-2008, 01:31 AM
If it's a japanese fender it'll probably be pretty good. Go for the Jag!

edge11
08-25-2008, 03:42 AM
Jag with singles in it.

morty92_2
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I have a Japanese Jag re-issue and it sounds absolutely fantastic; Jap guitars really do rival the USA made, especially for the money too.
You can do a hell of a lot of thing with the Jaguar, and the pickups are much better on all levels than a Mustang.

i heard that the bridge can play up sometimes, is that true, i know its easily replaceable but i was just wondering?

foodfight
08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Well, as the strings sit on little groves in the saddles, they do tend to come out of their grove sometimes (for me, it's mainly the top E string), but it all depends on how hard you strum. If you're trying to rip the strings off with insane strumming, then they do tend to pop out of their grove, but otherwise they stay firm. You can easily replace the bridge with a Mustang bridge, but as I don't particularly strum heavily, I haven't found a need to yet.

However, if you intend on playing gigs, it is probably recommended to change the bridge to a Mustang one.

Overall though, I'm not sure if changing the bridge to a Mustang one affects any portion of that classic, Jag tone.

Metalology
08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't like either, but if I had to pick I'd get the Jaguar.

FireandFlames
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Jaguar :liplick:

beckyjc
08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Id deffinately reccomend you play them first, and if you cant, do some research, especially on the jag, i own a CIJ jag, superb guitar, by all means, looker to, but its not one you can expect to pick up an play straight out of the box without no issues, I heard the new MIM jags have fixed pretty much all of the problems, but I cant sit here and say ive played them and have compared them to the CIJs, jags needs quite a it of work, changing the bridge/saddles, truss rod adjusting to support a higher gauge string because of tension issues, it was all worth it, its a superb playing guitar, with some new pups it will really sing too.

Have a read if you care to
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/beckyjc/blog/23816/

deathbyawesome
08-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Jaguar ftw

kaptink
08-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Both great but I love mustangs!

morty92_2
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Id deffinately reccomend you play them first, and if you cant, do some research, especially on the jag, i own a CIJ jag, superb guitar, by all means, looker to, but its not one you can expect to pick up an play straight out of the box without no issues, I heard the new MIM jags have fixed pretty much all of the problems, but I cant sit here and say ive played them and have compared them to the CIJs, jags needs quite a it of work, changing the bridge/saddles, truss rod adjusting to support a higher gauge string because of tension issues, it was all worth it, its a superb playing guitar, with some new pups it will really sing too.

Have a read if you care to
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/beckyjc/blog/23816/

i wish i could play one but the closest music shop doesn't sell either, and the next furthest one only has the HH jaguar, your blog was very useful though on giving me some more info on the jag, i have been doing alot of research on both, but i'm torn on which one because i like them both, i have heard videos of them being played though so at least i roughly know what its like. and your right about the jag being a looker, even my sister who is in the fashion business liked the jag more than the mustang.

stratdud39
08-25-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't like either, but if I had to pick I'd get the Jaguar.

+1

and whats your style of music?
because these guitars might not suit ur style.
mustangs and jaguars are for grunge and punk/punk rock

morty92_2
08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
+1

and whats your style of music?
because these guitars might not suit ur style.
mustangs and jaguars are for grunge and punk/punk rock

yeah i mainly play punk and grunge, but i know a few indie songs and enjoy playing classic rock, and i mean real indie like the stone roses, the smiths and the charlatans

Swap-Meet
08-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I own a Jagmaster, and from what I hear, it's the same neck that the Jaguar uses, I like it, but the Mustang neck is MUCH more comfortable.

I'm guessing you probably want one of these because you're a nirvana fan (the reason why alot of people buy jags / mustangs)

Unless you're getting the Jaguar that fender ****ed around to make it like Cobains I suggest you don't get the Jag....Unless you wanna **** around with it a bit.

The mustang is more comofortable of the two (yes I've played the 3000$ American Vintage Jag) and I've also played the 700$ Mustang...I prefered the mustang...unfortunately I was playing them without an amp... But for the money I'd say go with the mustang. Do NOT get a jag-stang, unless you want it just cause of Cobain, and not for sound...from what I hear it's just a ****ty version of the Mustang, except the neck...which is apparently the most comfortable short-scale neck around.

morty92_2
08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I own a Jagmaster, and from what I hear, it's the same neck that the Jaguar uses, I like it, but the Mustang neck is MUCH more comfortable.

I'm guessing you probably want one of these because you're a nirvana fan (the reason why alot of people buy jags / mustangs)

Unless you're getting the Jaguar that fender ****ed around to make it like Cobains I suggest you don't get the Jag....Unless you wanna **** around with it a bit.

The mustang is more comofortable of the two (yes I've played the 3000$ American Vintage Jag) and I've also played the 700$ Mustang...I prefered the mustang...unfortunately I was playing them without an amp... But for the money I'd say go with the mustang. Do NOT get a jag-stang, unless you want it just cause of Cobain, and not for sound...from what I hear it's just a ****ty version of the Mustang, except the neck...which is apparently the most comfortable short-scale neck around.

yeah Nirvana are good but i wouldn't say they were my primary reason of wanting one, of both, i'v always been a fan of fender and just wanted something a little different that a strat, so the Jag and The Mustang looked good.

Yeah i'v been looking at the neck on both and to me it looks like the Jags neck stays at one solid with all the way through and the Mustangs has a nice, shorter to longer ratio, which in my opinion looks more comfortable, as for price wise they are exactly the same so thats no real issue.

I think i have now decided on the Jaguar for its own uniqueness, and no i will never get a Jagstang what i heard of it, it was never properly finished anyways

tamargoguitar
08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
order them both, play them both, and return the one you like the least....

I say Jaguar btw

TG :wavey:

Swap-Meet
08-27-2008, 03:37 PM
yeah Nirvana are good but i wouldn't say they were my primary reason of wanting one, of both, i'v always been a fan of fender and just wanted something a little different that a strat, so the Jag and The Mustang looked good.

Yeah i'v been looking at the neck on both and to me it looks like the Jags neck stays at one solid with all the way through and the Mustangs has a nice, shorter to longer ratio, which in my opinion looks more comfortable, as for price wise they are exactly the same so thats no real issue.

I think i have now decided on the Jaguar for its own uniqueness, and no i will never get a Jagstang what i heard of it, it was never properly finished anyways

try and find a guitar store with them...I know it's hard to find mustangs where I live, I've only seen one so far in a guitar store...I've seen a bunch of Jag's though.

You could probably get a higher quality Mustang for the same price as a lower quality Jag.....so you should really play the guitars before you buy them!

captain Trips
08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
you guys are crazy, go with a jaguar. Mustangs aren't good guitars at all they were the squiers of their time, they're just popular because of how they look and people like Kurt Cobain played them. They might make them better now for the price they're at but jaguars are definitely the way to go.

Slay 'Em
08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Jagstang!

captain Trips
08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Jagstang!

I guess that would be the way to go at this point lol but that guitar isnt too great either and when kurt died it was still a work-in-progress and he wasn't really too happy with it.

Swap-Meet
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
you guys are crazy, go with a jaguar. Mustangs aren't good guitars at all they were the squiers of their time, they're just popular because of how they look and people like Kurt Cobain played them. They might make them better now for the price they're at but jaguars are definitely the way to go.

Have you ever played a Jaguar or a Mustang?

I admit I have a bit of a bias to Jags & Stangs cause of Cobain, but I also prefer the shortscales over standard & longer scales. When I played the mustang, everything just felt perfect, I liked the Jaguar alot too, but I prefered the mustang.....the american vintage jaguar I liked just as much as the mustang, except it was a little less comfortable....but I think they go for 3 grand....compared to a 700$ mustang

Whichever you pick, there is no doubt that you're going to get a great guitar.

beckyjc
08-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I own a Jagmaster, and from what I hear, it's the same neck that the Jaguar uses.

Nah the jagmaster neck is 9.5' radius 42mm at nut as opposed to the jags 7.5' radius and 41 mm at nut makes all the difference really, the specs for the mustang and jag are the exact same, I love the neck on my jag to bits, never played a nicer one.

stratdud39
08-27-2008, 05:38 PM
jaguars are way better i would say

DanielAbdilla
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
I would definitely the Mustang to anybody reading..

I've tried both guitars but the mustang is definitely the one that has pleased me most.

monkey_dancer
01-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I'd say Jaguar, but hey, that's just my personal bias. Try them out for yourself and buy whichever feels nicer.

Blompcube
01-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Now this is the way i see it:

the mustang reissues just aren't worth the money you pay - they are kind of like fender's equivalent of the gibson melody maker, except that they cost you considerably more but don't offer anything more in the way of tone - ultimately a thin, weak, junky sound that won't really serve you very well for anything other than punk/grunge/alternative stuff. I'm sure the quality might justify the price on a material level depending on how you want to look at it, but just like the gibson melody maker, it's just not a solid design. It's a student model, after all.

The jaguar on the other hand is a slightly different story - It's overall a better design with more potential. The tone is thin, but it's a classy thin tone, not weak like the mustang. But if you get one with the vintage style bridge you are going to spend a lot of time trying to stop the strings from popping out of the saddles, the screws working themselves loose/falling out, etc etc etc.. the list of problems with the jaguar/jazzmaster bridge is endless.

Ultimately, try them both - both are flawed, i just think that the flaws with the jaguar will be easier to fix whereas the shortcomings of the mustang are within the nature of it's design.

Gargoyle2500
01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Do you have a preferred scale length? Mustangs have a 24" scale, Jags have 24.75", Jazzmasters have 25.5"... I think...

But anyway, I'd buy a Mustang over a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. The tone is different from any other guitar and I like it. But you should really decide for yourself, Go find a store somewhere that has both and try 'em! HOWEVER, Keep in mind that the guitars may not be set up well and the strings may be old.