Playing my bass through PA?

PDA

View Full Version : Playing my bass through PA?

Hultan
08-26-2008, 12:57 PM
My little brother is getting a digital drumset on his birthday, and as far as I know, he will also need a PA in order to get sounds out of it.
So I was gonna buy a bass and was thinking if maybe you could plug the bass straight into the PA.

Deliriumbassist
08-26-2008, 01:02 PM
You can indeedy. I think. I always just throw my amp through the PA with the DI. You'll probably need a DI box.

Hultan
08-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Great!
PAs use to have more than one hole to plug into right? So that the PA can make sounds for both the drums and the bass at the same time.
What is a DI?

jazz_rock_feel
08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Yep, just buy a decent DI box to bring the signal to proper levels and you're set.

Shukman_Jr
08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Yes, that'll work. My band uses a 4 track PA and we pump 2 vocal mics, a bass, and sometimes my acoustic through it.

Hultan
08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Cool. Thanks!
I really look forward to buy a new bass and learn.

jazz_rock_feel
08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
DI is direct injection. It basically takes your bass' weak signal and brings it to a level where the PA can do it's thing.

Hultan
08-26-2008, 01:07 PM
What is a good DI box then? Money shouldn't be a problem at all.

Deliriumbassist
08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
A DI is a Direct Injection box. A popular one is the Sansamp bassdriver, although I'm quite interested in this thing called the Bassbone and the Electro Harmonix Bass Metaphors.

Hultan
08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
If I buy a really really fancy one, will I get comparable tone to a real bass amp? I really wanna waste as little space as possible because it's a really small room we're gonna be in.

Jonnomainman
08-26-2008, 03:50 PM
If I buy a really really fancy one, will I get comparable tone to a real bass amp? I really wanna waste as little space as possible because it's a really small room we're gonna be in.

Because when you play live at venues, your signal is often DI'd into the PA before it goes through your amp so your amp has no control over the tone, lots of bassists, have their own "really really fancy" DI box, like a Sansamp, so they can have some control and are not at the mercy of a sound engineer who knows sweet FA about your sound.

biga29
08-26-2008, 04:38 PM

in my experience bass through PA sounds crappy,

jb_reborn
08-26-2008, 05:00 PM
i wouldnt do it without a preamp of somesort, otherwise you will have no control of ur tone, and it will sound crappy.

bojangleman
08-26-2008, 09:29 PM
my suggestion would be that the speakers need to be at LEAST 12"s....i have 15"...and i dont like it...i still run mine through my amp and then mic my amp....

but if the PA he is getting, the speakers are anything less than 10's, i wouldnt do it...

and, he doesnt have to get a PA system...he could get a drum monitor system...just like to mains and a sub with 1 input..

Alex

Hultan
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Okay. I'm gonna get a 15" 180 watts PA speaker to give that little more bottom end.
I guess that would do good, right?

I was thinking of a Japanese 62 reissue Jazz bass > Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver Deluxe DI Pedal and then into the mixer and then into the PA. (Apparently, I need a mixer before I plug into the PA because the PA only have one input or something)

My brother will have a Yamaha DTXplorer drumset into the PA.

A bit offtopic, but how are the japanese basses compared to the americans? I know little about basses.

ScottB.
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
I've heard that they are very good, and for the price and what you get for it, they are the better than MIM and MIA Fenders.

fatgoogle
08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Couldnt you get a power mixer so you can plug drums and bass into it and still have control of some tone i dont know if this is what your looking for though

fortysix&2
08-29-2008, 06:30 PM
If you need a cheap DI, and this is the only time I'll suggest behringer, behringer actually make a decent DI box...

even deeper
08-30-2008, 12:48 AM
yea its possible. dont expect any interesting tone.. but its definitly possible

Hultan
08-30-2008, 01:18 AM
I just wanna play bass while not having to have a bass amp taking up space.
Is the Behringer DI box better than the SansAmp?

jb_reborn
08-30-2008, 05:49 AM
nope, sans amp is in a different league mate. but for the cheap price behringer is not bad. Get teh sansamp tho.

Hultan
08-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Alright. Thanks for the help, everyone :)

|Heretic|
08-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Could you not put your bass into a eq pedal, then into the di box? That would give a little control over tone

Deliriumbassist
08-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Could you not put your bass into a eq pedal, then into the di box? That would give a little control over tone

A decent DI box will have an effects loop in it already (like the Bassbone, which has a DI out, amp out, FX loop, tuner out and 2 instrument switching), and any DI box should be alright to run your effects through, including EQ pedal.