experimental prog metal song (GP4, GP5, MIDI)

PDA

View Full Version : experimental prog metal song (GP4, GP5, MIDI)

08-30-2008, 04:42 PM
this is my song and its kinda prog experimental so ive been told by my bassiest

its not finished yet!

i started making it in the morning about oneish and its just grown from there i plan to make it a long one!

and check out my band who will be playing this soon hopefully!

www.myspace.com/beyondtheshadow2007

improvement and criticisum comments welcome!

i want to try and make it perfect or near enough! so anything you dont like say!

08-30-2008, 04:54 PM
C4C aswell!

ealtdharkon
08-30-2008, 09:19 PM
I was looking at this earlier, actually...

...I can't crit right now 'cause I got stuff to do, but I will crit.
(Unless I forget, then do feel free to remind me.)

And I liked what you did to that solo of mine, if I use any of those ideas I'll be sure to tell you, but I do prefer my own version, I'm a serious fan of odd timings and so on, it's kinda my thing, but really, thanks, a lot of your ideas were better than my ones =D

A mini-crit: there's not much progressive to this, really. It's 4/4, and doesn't have any really wacky scales in it... it sounds more like a sort of melodic death metal tune to me...

I shall proper crit later.

Madzää
08-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Ok, first of, this isnīt prog or expierimental, this is kinda... Melodeath Core. Ok, and then the crit: Nothing to bad with the main Riff, gets in your head quickly, a good starter. Drums enter, same Riff, different drums, tremolo-picked Part. Itīs okay for an Melodeath song, but it kinda gets on your nerves very quickly, why donīt put a melody there insted of just running through the notes? Same again... Breakdown. Iīm personally neither a fan of this genre and neither of Breakdowns, it just bores the hell out of me because Itīs always the same chord. And always the same rhythm. It lacks varity. You did nice with the Lead after it, tho. Then there was this crazy thing starting at 63. I didnīt know what you wanted to do with it, it kinda didnīt fit in there. The next part is very TBDM-ish, maybe check them out, or do you listen to them? I kinda think that you may be inspired by them :D Acustic part is a little creepy, guess it fits with the music. Itīs repeated with the distorted guitars, nothing really different, just octaving then. Maybe end it on a creepy chord? The End seems too abrupt, kinda. Anyways, nice for Medodeath, but still needs work to be done.

silhouettica
08-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Alright, I had mixed feelings on this one. I liked the opening riff, no question there, but the tremolo picking section really threw me off. Maybe if you had some pounding drums there, it would be nice, but I really don't think it fits. So, after that, you go into more repeats of the intro, which I am assuming is a verse. It still sounds good, but the bass is really thin there, I think you could do better with that. After that, another Tremolo picking session, which again, I did not enjoy. Bar 41 confused me at first, but then I enjoyed it. Really reminded me of The Glass Prison (by Dream Theater). I could almost hear "Run! Fast! Through wreckage of the past!" in the melody. I really enjoyed the feeling break at bar 56, where it got more melodic, then at bar 63, went straight back into IN YOUR FACE METAL. Bars 81-88 seemed unnecessary, especially because of the repetition. I think you could have just gone to bar 89, and done the fade out from there. The acoustic part was nice, contrasted well, and then you played it again distorted. A good ending, however, was lacking. What I really think is that you should put the tremolo picking session there, I think it would really add to the sound.

You already Critiqued mine, but if you have the time, would you mind giving a little bit more insight to your comments? Thanks.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947722