Semi Acoustic Prog Metally Song

PDA

View Full Version : Semi Acoustic Prog Metally Song

silhouettica
08-30-2008, 10:48 PM
So, this is my new Folk-Metal/Prog-Metal/Acoustic song, I worked on it the entire time I was banned, and I think it has turned out well. It isn't completely finished, but the first half is, and so I figured I could maybe get some feedback on that. It is mostly Guitars and Bass, but occasionally, a little bit of keyboards. I plan on putting more keys in later, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here it is, Guitar Pro 4 and 5, and Midi. Enjoy!

Also, I can C4C

Thanks!

Steel Skins
08-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Sounded really interesting, abstract and unusual scales, yet it still sounded melodic somehow and it was certainly progressive, also keeping a good contrast with the instrumentals. They kept a common feel but a changing sound. Really avant-garde. Really enjoyed listening, good work.

08-31-2008, 07:59 AM
in my honest opinon its needs ALOT! of work but if you like the sound then stick to it but i think you need to move a few bits around cos some of it sounds horrible but then there are some bits which are good! but yeah stick to that sound if thats what you want but in my opinion you've just gone and hit any notes without even listening to it!

crit mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947465

thanks

silhouettica
08-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the crits guys, and I will be happy to crit yours back 169290. But, if you get the chance, would you mind telling me which parts seem out of place and horrible? Thanks

Sinten
08-31-2008, 12:39 PM
there are a lot of dissonant harmonies and some of the chord progressions just seem random.

you can see what i mean as early as bar 8.

bars 24-26 are particularly grating

actually there are examples throughout the majority of the song

i can't really give any other criticism just because the problems i listed are glaring

here's mine: http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947694

Steel Skins
08-31-2008, 01:03 PM
People just can't enjoy abstraction and need generic I guess, which is the reason for pop music.

LucasGtrGod
08-31-2008, 02:22 PM
It's really, really cool man. There is nothing I don't like, all I could add is add drums.

Sinten
08-31-2008, 02:54 PM
People just can't enjoy abstraction and need generic I guess, which is the reason for pop music.
what the **** does the genre of music have to do with dissonance?
also, guess what: if your music features a guitar, bass, and drums, it's pop music. become a classical music elitist if you want to snub people for 'inferior' tastes

Steel Skins
08-31-2008, 04:13 PM
what the **** does the genre of music have to do with dissonance?
also, guess what: if your music features a guitar, bass, and drums, it's pop music. become a classical music elitist if you want to snub people for 'inferior' tastes
First of all, what is dissonant to one may not be to another, second of all, having drums bass and guitar does not automatically classify music as pop, and third of all, I never said you have inferior tastes, in fact I'm not one to listen to abstract music myself but just because the song has strange scales and chord progressions does not make a song dissonant, because not everything has to be clearly melodic, its a way of making your music something new and unheard of.

silhouettica
08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. By the way, I don't know how to write for drums, but hopefully will learn soon so I can add to this.