Punk in your Area...

PDA

View Full Version : Punk in your Area...

FunkyFire
09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Whats it like? It seems almost non-existent here in newton, GA. I was the only guy really into punk all through school (not counting the freshmen my senior year who kinda dressed the part but knew nothing about the rest). When I go to shows in Atlanta there does seem to be quite a few skinheads, punks, etc but thats the only place.
you guys?

BFMV fan
09-02-2008, 04:38 PM
here in california there is a bunch of groups, there are the punkers, skaters, metalheads, gangsters, geeks, etc.

sorrykid77
09-02-2008, 04:38 PM
punk sucks in all forms

except for rancid/operation ivy

StreetLight3989
09-02-2008, 04:44 PM
punk sucks in all forms

except for rancid/operation ivy
Why are you in the punk forum :rolleyes:? The two replies so far are great :p.

Well around me it's pretty good, we have New Brunswick which is a great scene and only about a 20 minute drive from me. There seems to be punk shows all over the state of Jersey which is pretty awesome.

lolmnt
09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm not really involved in the punk scene in my area. I don't really know if there's a scene anymore. There's a couple of bands though.

I need to make a punk friend to go to shows with.

gopherthegreat
09-02-2008, 05:16 PM
New Hampshire has some good pop-punk bands. I go to shows over in Dover all the time.

Iluvpowerchords
09-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Couple bands here.

None I'd care to see.

I'd rather have a scooter scene than a music scene. Hopefully Gas prices will help me out.

RizzoWashburn
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
New Hampshire has some good pop-punk bands. I go to shows over in Dover all the time.
This.

Although, most of the bands sound the same. Therein lays the problem with pop-punk, it's so unoriginal nowadays.

gopherthegreat
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
But that means if it's a punk show, I don't need to know who's playing to know if I'm gonna like the bands :p:

Seriously though, that does turn me off of pop-punk a bit. I would never want to be in a pop-punk band.

StreetLight3989
09-02-2008, 05:41 PM
But that means if it's a punk show, I don't need to know who's playing to know if I'm gonna like the bands :p:

Seriously though, that does turn me off of pop-punk a bit. I would never want to be in a pop-punk band.
Haha, that's the opposite of me, I really want to be in a pop punk band, but we wouldn't be generic.

Swap-Meet
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
most bands in montreal are crappy metal / metalcore, but there are some punk bands, most of them aren't bad, some are pretty good even....but nothing special...yet..

Ska Wars
09-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I wrote a song called "Sometimes I Wish I Was In A Pop Punk Band"

Anyway, I've only been to about five or six shows since I moved here, so I guess you could say I'm just getting into the scene. But so far, I think it's pretty good. I've been talking to this kid who's been putting on a TON of shows, and I think he's really building up the scene. There's a ton of good bands, and I think it's gonna become really strong soon.

MisspentYouth
09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
My town's punk scene in Northern Virginia is basically nonexistant... it's a bunch of hardcore screamo stuff, mainly. About half an hour away, in Manassas, though, it's pretty good.

Ska Wars
09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
My town's punk scene in Northern Virginia is basically nonexistant... it's a bunch of hardcore screamo stuff, mainly. About half an hour away, in Manassas, though, it's pretty good.
How far are you from Richmond?

mbbmalcolm
09-02-2008, 06:03 PM
My town doesn't really have a scene but theres a good one in DC, which is like 10 minutes away, but Im not really involved. Theres like 5 punks in my grade, and I hate 2 out of the 3 that Ive met. So it kinda sucks.

Hello.Kitty
09-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Scene is pretty good here. I've probably explained this before though so whatever. Its fun.

Someone make a trip to Orange County/LA area and we'll party.

Zero Substance
09-02-2008, 06:09 PM
DC has a sick scene. i love it.

MisspentYouth
09-02-2008, 06:16 PM
How far are you from Richmond?

About three hours. And one hour from DC. Which is why I can't wait to move back to Chicago.

Zero Substance
09-02-2008, 06:32 PM
About three hours. And one hour from DC. Which is why I can't wait to move back to Chicago.

i'm about an hour from dc too. believe me, its worth it to make the trip.

BrianApocalypse
09-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Attrociously terrible.

It's either bad Rancid impersonators or bad Towers impersonators, like Bugglebum Screw

FunkyFire
09-02-2008, 07:08 PM
That reminds me, if anyone lives nearby, hit me up. I need a friend I can go to punk shows with. (Newton county Ga)

RiotRiotUpstart
09-02-2008, 07:26 PM
There is no scene where I live.

hooligan07
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
i'm from east los angeles.. we have backyard gigs every weekend that i never go to.
or you can drive down to hollywood and catch real shows

crustyreed
09-02-2008, 07:48 PM
i don't know anything about the geography of georgia but if you are anywhere near augusta their is an extremely sick band from there named the skuds.

DC and richmond both rage. i live an hour from chicago but go there every weekend.
thus go to dc and richmond.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I live 45 minutes from Fort Worth, and 1 1/2 hours from Dallas and Denton.

Fort Worth doesn't seem to have much of a punk scene that I know of, but bands from the surrounding area play at the DIY venue on the south side. 1919 Hemphill is my favorite place to go for shows.

Dallas has a lot of really good hardcore punk. Unit 21, ANS, Spazm 151, and more that I can't remember. Dallas punk shows usually take place at bars in the Deep Ellum area (downtown Dallas near the commercial district). My favorite venue there was the Red Blood Club, but they recently went bankrupt and shut down. The bars in the area are struggling lately, I think the whole scene is starting to shift more towards independent underground venues.

Denton is a little different - there's a lot of punk going on there, but it's more artsy, experimental stuff centered around the University of North Texas, and shows there almost exclusively take place in basements and houses.

There's also a small scene sprouting up in Arlington, but a lot of it isn't even punk. I'm seeing a lot of non-punk artists latch on to the whole DIY thing, and it's cool because they're opening up opportunities for themselves that they didn't have before. Punk rock is actually turning other artists away from record labels and the music industry. We win? :p:

Zero Substance
09-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Texas has World Burns To Death. For this reason it is awesome in my book.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-02-2008, 08:30 PM
We also have MDC.

And uhh... Pantera :wtf:

sargasm
09-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Calgary's scene is sort of part of a network of touring bands that goes from Victoria-Vancouver-Edmonton-Calgary-Saskatoon-Winnipeg.

Eastern Canada sort of has its own network, because all the major cities over there are pretty close together. There's a big divide between the two, so we're kind of isolated from each other.

AlskiOverload
09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Theres alot of Punk and Grunge bands over in where I am, which I find weird, because I live in Montana. That, and country music.

InstantAXonHero
09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
If you count boys who spend longer doing their hair than actually playing as punk than it is very much alive, if not, dead.

gopherthegreat
09-02-2008, 09:06 PM
We also have MDC.

And uhh... Pantera :wtf:
You have the Dicks. They're easily the best Texas punk band, imo.

Bayonetwork
09-02-2008, 10:26 PM
In Rome, GA, we have Unseen Stimuli who is pretty awesome. We also have We Won't Stop, The Bastard Suns, and 50:50 Shot in Atlanta.

DyNoMiTe...!
09-02-2008, 10:35 PM
We have had a couple of bands come play, like mad cowboys, high five drive, strung out, chixdiggit and a couple other local bands none are really good except for The Wild and they moved out west. the singer/guitarist for the wild sets up all of the shows around here, our local scene sucks haha

Ska Wars
09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
There is no scene where I live.
Do you not live in Richmond anymore?

hug a llama
09-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I live in Fremont and the only close venue I know of is in driving distance....other than thisone teen center by the park....

sargasm
09-02-2008, 10:50 PM
We have had a couple of bands come play, like mad cowboys, high five drive, strung out, chixdiggit and a couple other local bands none are really good except for The Wild and they moved out west. the singer/guitarist for the wild sets up all of the shows around here, our local scene sucks haha

I <3 the Mad Cowboys.

RiotRiotUpstart
09-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Do you not live in Richmond anymore?

Nope. I had to drop out of VCU. I'm back in Stafford again.

Hello.Kitty
09-03-2008, 03:13 AM
i'm from east los angeles.. we have backyard gigs every weekend that i never go to.

You still have to come down to Orange County and hit our backyard parties.

original=punk
09-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Uhh, does having two punk bands count as having a scene?

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Punk? We have some bands that cover classic rock songs. Is that close enough?

lavazza
09-03-2008, 07:33 AM
There´s an amazingly big emo scene around here. The people all ook like Skate Emos and they listen to Bullet for my Valentine (yes I´m one of these ignorant bastards who use emo as an insult).
There is one hardcore guy who organizes one show a year, but he´s too elitist too accept any band without and over and over tatooed singer, so I coem aroudn with him, because I´m one of the little guys here who know the Bad Brains, but he does not liek H.M.asS, because we are not tattooed.
There are some Metalheads in the towns around, but some of them are Nazis, so I don´t think that counts as a scene.
In the neighbour village their live aroudn 30-50 people who always support us when we give concert, but just really really few of them know what punk actually is and means, but they´re all ok. 2 month ago I saw the first boy in this area who listens to Crass except for me.
I often hang around with people who listen to Hippie music (last evening we listened to lots of Jefferson Airplane) or some who like lots of indipnedent music and jazz.

Adarsh
09-03-2008, 09:02 AM
There's nothing here. Well, there used to be a pretty decent generic 3rd wave ska band, but they just broke up.

I'm involved in a couple of bands here but I'm pretty sure we're the only ones who play anything that sounds remotely punk.

lavazza
09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
You could do a documentation like "Punk in the sand" and film your band doing gigs

Ska Wars
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Nope. I had to drop out of VCU. I'm back in Stafford again.
Ah, that sucks. Mind if I ask why?

RockThe40oz
09-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I have a theory that VCU students all end up learning enough tricks to become street performers... Perhaps he refused to learn to blow fire while standing on stilts?

whyvern
09-03-2008, 12:26 PM
DC has a sick scene. i love it.

I'd love to see THE MAX LEVINE ENSEMBLE all the time... hopefully Spoonboy can get outta jail soon.

Do ya know what's going on with the Bobby Fisher Memorial Building?

DyNoMiTe...!
09-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I <3 the Mad Cowboys.

Yeah i seen them 2 weeks ago with the wild and some emo band, they are definitely the best band ive seen live

anarkee
09-03-2008, 12:59 PM

The Northern Cali / Bay area scene is pretty much the same from Santa Cruz up to the East Bay and across the Bay to the Pennisula/SF area. Even Sonoma county has a decent scene going. Santa Cruz' scene was a bit more active about a decade ago, but its still going strong. The big issue is that bands are having to be so much more DIY about performance venues because of venues closing and the most insane noise ordinances I have ever scene in a city/county.

Ska Wars
09-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I'd love to see THE MAX LEVINE ENSEMBLE all the time... hopefully Spoonboy can get outta jail soon.

I heard that he's out, but I don't think the charges are being dropped.

I have a theory that VCU students all end up learning enough tricks to become street performers... Perhaps he refused to learn to blow fire while standing on stilts?
:rolleyes:

Also, I just realized how nosy I'm being. You don't have to answer, if you don't wanna, Riot.

whyvern
09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
^ it's worse in SF. They had to resort to doing Generator shows on the street. Which is pretty cool because they reclaimed alot of public space. The band SHOTWELL was really involved with doing this. Now most of the punks live in Oakland cos it's easier to get away with house shows there, but I think there's still a fair amount of generator shows going on in SF... and of course Gilman St is still going on in Berkley but who can afford to live in Berkley or SF?

My aunt and Iggy Scam... that's who.

anarkee
09-03-2008, 01:35 PM
The cost of living in Santa Cruz is pretty dire too, which also has had an impact. People have definitely had to resort to being much more creative than before. Some of the local bands are great but its a real struggle. Still, we're probably better off than some other areas of the world in terms of an active punk scene. According to my college roommate, the Pittsburgh, PA scene is completely sad.

The East Bay has always been fertile for punk and with housing values and rents falling down into the basement in Oakland its probably going to keep on being so. And that scene has produced some great, great groups and individual musicians.

whyvern
09-03-2008, 01:50 PM
yeah FLORAL BEEF is one of my favorites from this "newish" crop of East Bay Bands... I guess TULSA could be thrown in there too but they've been around for 5(+) years!

RockThe40oz
09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
:rolleyes:

I'm super serious... everybody I know at VCU has some sort of obscure talent like spinning balls of fire or juggling or chinese yo-yo-ing..

EDIT: That's probably just because I hang out with some strange individuals, though...

RiotRiotUpstart
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Ska Wars: Money reasons. Some shit came up and I needed to go somewhere more inexpensive, so I'm taking classes at a junior college here.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Oakland or San Francisco would be an awesome place to go to shows, with so many great local bands. I wouldn't want to be in a band there, though.

Berlioz97
09-03-2008, 03:52 PM
The scene in my town is mostly a bunch of nondeidcated scene rats who dissapear after 6 months then find the next trend.
It has its ups and downs. Its wayyyy down right now though.

yeahyeah
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
The scene in my town is mostly a bunch of nondeidcated scene rats who dissapear after 6 months then find the next trend.
It has its ups and downs. Its wayyyy down right now though.
that's pretty much Stockton too.

And I love hanging out/seeing shows in the bay area but I can't imagine living there with the ridiculous rent.

whyvern
09-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Jamal and Becker are awesome dudes though! I've wanted to go to Fresno for a long time. Maybe next US tour we'll make it out there.

yeahyeah
09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Do it, you should retrace Kerouac's trip through the valley

Ska Wars
09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Ska Wars: Money reasons. Some shit came up and I needed to go somewhere more inexpensive, so I'm taking classes at a junior college here.
Yeah, that's what a bunch of my friends are doing. Do you plan on transferring back to VCU later on?
I'm super serious... everybody I know at VCU has some sort of obscure talent like spinning balls of fire or juggling or chinese yo-yo-ing..

EDIT: That's probably just because I hang out with some strange individuals, though...
I'm ashamed to say I haven't met anyone too overly weird yet. But I'll keep my eyes open.

Zero Substance
09-03-2008, 04:39 PM

Bobby fisher was shut down unfortunately. they had been renting it free in exchange for doing all sorts of renovations to fix up the place and were effectively, considering costs of materials and labor, paying more than their share of the rent. then the owner wanted them out so he decided to "renegotiate" the lease. he wanted to sign them into a contract for 5000 a month and to waive them of their right to a 30 day eviction notice, which is pretty ****ed up. everyone was really angry over it. i went to the last show, which was the ergs, lemuria, the two funerals, and some others. I'm pretty sure they have found a new space to replace it because right now all the shows are being held in basements and this church. and also, Max Levine Ensemble is excellent. I saw them back in august and i see their singer around all the time. he's a really nice guy.

whyvern
09-03-2008, 04:52 PM
^ yeah Spoonboy is awesome. We played with them in Chattanooga in december but their drummer is allergic to cats or something so they ended up not playing but they're cool dudes none the less. It's a shame to hear about Bobby Fisher not working out... the concept reminded me of the Flying Monkey Art Center in Huntsville, AL. DC seems like it's got a lot of momentum in it as a community though, I'm sure they'll find a new space that works better than a church.

Did you ever used to go to the death star?

PenFighter19
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Central Florida/Tampa doesnt have much of a punk scene. Most bands are 60s and 90s influenced indie. But there is One Nation Divisible. They just did a show at Janus Landing. They are what they say 'Lakeland's only punk band'. Heavy influence from The Casualties, Anti-Flag. Shows are pretty similar too :)

Zero Substance
09-03-2008, 05:02 PM
DC does have a lot of momentum. most of it is organized by kind of a big core group of people who are mostly members of local bands and stuff. a lot of them work at the Maryland Food Collective which is located right outside of DC at the University of Maryland. And no, i never went to the death star. I have only really been active in and aware of this scene for about a year or so.

whyvern
09-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Central Florida/Tampa doesnt have much of a punk scene. Most bands are 60s and 90s influenced indie. But there is One Nation Divisible. They just did a show at Janus Landing. They are what they say 'Lakeland's only punk band'. Heavy influence from The Casualties, Anti-Flag. Shows are pretty similar too :)

Tampa has a huge ass punk scene... what are ya talking about?

Zero_Substance, I'm sure I'll see ya whenever I make it to DC again. I was born in Silver Spring.. ya know? So I'm there quite a bit. It's awesome to see that the scene there is doing so well. I remember when it wasn't so together (like when I started going to shows in Alabama).. so I'm really happy for that.

Zero Substance
09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
yeah, let me know whenever you get back here, we can hang. and i'm really glad that the scene is doing well too. there are so many people that are involved and i have a lot of respect for all of them. Especially chris moore from magrudergrind. he is such a nice guy and he does so much for everyone.

sargasm
09-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah i seen them 2 weeks ago with the wild and some emo band, they are definitely the best band ive seen live

Yeah they're from here and they play often so I've seen them too many times to count. Most recently they played at my friends' basement and it was lots of fun.

If you stick around this forum for awhile I'll post the video if it ever gets uploaded. There's a whole bunch of footage from the shows there, and my friend is gonna edit all together into some sort of DVD or something. Not sure how long it will be before any of it sees the light of day though.

Here's a music video they made at The Castle, which was such a great bar but it's closed now and I have nowhere decent to go on Tuesday nights anymore. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA57aIUEW68&feature=related

StreetLight3989
09-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah they're from here and they play often so I've seen them too many times to count. Most recently they played at my friends' basement and it was lots of fun.

If you stick around this forum for awhile I'll post the video if it ever gets uploaded. There's a whole bunch of footage from the shows there, and my friend is gonna edit all together into some sort of DVD or something. Not sure how long it will be before any of it sees the light of day though.

Here's a music video they made at The Castle, which was such a great bar but it's closed now and I have nowhere decent to go on Tuesday nights anymore. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA57aIUEW68&feature=related
That was a good song, but lol at the Casualties shirt.

sargasm
09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Interesting story:

The Pissoffs, who are a street punk band around here (Not really my thing, obviously, but I'm friends with the singer) played with the casualties once. The Varukers played as well. I did not go (This was a year or two ago) but if it was now I might go for The Varukers and to support the pissoffs.

ANYWAY, apparently the casualties took all the money from the show and ran, leaving none for The Varukers or the pissoffs, which is especially dickish because The Varukers were on tour from further away than the casualties and needed the money to get back to england.

That's the story as related to me by the singer of the pissoffs. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's not like I need another reason to hate the casualties anyway.

original=punk
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey, you're a mod. you can't have a bias towards certain bands.

StreetLight3989
09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Wow, they're dicks, not that I already didn't know that, but even more so now. I remember a band around here played with The Casualties, they were super excited and they were handing out fliers like three weeks before. I hate that band and The Casualties though, so I didn't go.

sargasm
09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey, you're a mod. you can't have a bias towards certain bands.

Yeah I can

MisspentYouth
09-03-2008, 06:13 PM

I saw the Max Levine Ensemble about a year and a half ago. They were ok, I guess, I didn't really know them at the time. I thought the singer had a funny speaking voice, and between songs he said that he'd like to dedicate it to his mom, who was backstage.

Anyway. That's my relevant story of the week. Exciting, eh?

original=punk
09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah I can

Ok. :D :heart:

RizzoWashburn
09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Do it, you should retrace Kerouac's trip through the valley
No joke homie, I just started re-reading that book last night and thinking about doing a trip like that after college. 'Cept I'd go down to Florida. The Midwest blows.

Doolittle
09-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Post-Modern Sounds is the CT punk scene. OI!

killboypowerhed
09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
try living in nashville. we have all the rockabilly and grindcore you need, but no punk

Ska Wars
09-03-2008, 09:35 PM
try living in nashville. we have all the rockabilly and grindcore you need, but no punk
You guys have Stuck Lucky.

werty22
09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Tell that to TNBootBoy... Although he hasn't been around lately.

Is there any good rockabilly around here that I should be aware of? Most of the "punk" I've heard around here sucks.

FunkyFire
09-03-2008, 10:37 PM
In Rome, GA, we have Unseen Stimuli who is pretty awesome. We also have We Won't Stop, The Bastard Suns, and 50:50 Shot in Atlanta.
50:50 shot i know. I grew up next door to Reid, the saxophonist. He got me into punk and ska.

Bayonetwork
09-03-2008, 11:17 PM
50:50 shot i know. I grew up next door to Reid, the saxophonist. He got me into punk and ska.
I love 50:50 Shot, I talked to them for a little bit when I went to one of their shows. They're all pretty cool guys.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Since when? Tampa/St. Petersburg is nothing but death metal and scenecore. The punk scene there consists of thousands of studded and leathered mohican mall rats who go to Rancid shows.

sk8_punk_Trev
09-04-2008, 01:26 AM
it sucks here in columbia sc. stretch arm strong is about all we got, but thats getting more into hardcore even. most bands aroung here are the shitty kind of screamo bands. this local scene is just depressing.

whyvern
09-04-2008, 03:17 AM
Since when? Tampa/St. Petersburg is nothing but death metal and scenecore. The punk scene there consists of thousands of studded and leathered mohican mall rats who go to Rancid shows.

There's that whole Tampa punk house scene and Transistions Art Gallery thing. Most DIY bands make it there. Miami is the place that really seems to be lacking. Which sucks cos they used to have such an awesome scene but then it got too expensive to live there. Now there's the Firefly house in Miami but not too many people make it down there. At least THE DRUG CZARS still play.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I'll have to check that out next time I'm in the area, then.

radio_schizo
09-04-2008, 11:19 AM
My mates band play fast hardcore with a thrashy influence. Check them out, they are shweet! www.myspace.com/nothingtoshowforit (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=228223897)

lavazza
09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
the link doesn´t work :(

k90728
09-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I live in NYC and there is a very big punk scene. We have alot of NYHC bands/supporters. ALOT of streetpunkers with the bullet belts and studded jackets and what not. Theres every ''scene'' in NYC. Check out Rabia. I saw them play with the new version of Reagan Youth.

www.myspace.com/rabia

radio_schizo
09-05-2008, 06:30 AM
the link doesn´t work :(
The link is now fixed! :cool:

lavazza
09-05-2008, 07:22 AM
The link is now fixed! :cool:

Listening to them.......mhm......ok for hardcore, deffenitely trash influences, but luckily their songs are longer than 20 seconds.......I know somebody, who´ll deffinitely like that. I´ll send him the link when i remind it and he´s online.

EDIT: I like No such thing

RockThe40oz
09-05-2008, 09:10 AM
deffenitely trash influences

Haha. Please tell me that "trash" wasn't a typo.

lavazza
09-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Haha. Please tell me that "trash" wasn't a typo.

garg I hate that....I meant thrash

askingforit176
09-05-2008, 11:03 PM
hmmm.....punk bands in my area, well theres three regular ones. and my band is really the cornerstone punk band in my area, sad thing is, is idk if were tr00 p0nx enough to be considered. were a cross between afi and minor threat misfits and the cure with a big shot of Ramones

captain_jack
09-05-2008, 11:31 PM
I love 50:50 Shot, I talked to them for a little bit when I went to one of their shows. They're all pretty cool guys.

I saw them a weekend or two ago in Clarksburg, WV, and they were awesome. I ended up talking to the drummer afterward about how John Mcain ****ed himself by picking an inexperienced woman as his running mate.

Anyway, I'm just finding out that West Virgina has a decent punk and ska scene. I have to travel about an hour at least to go to shows though, because all the places we used to have shows at in my town won't let anyone rent them out anymore. I'm currently starting a desperate search for places to have punk shows 'cause I'm tired of not having any close by.

Zero Substance
09-06-2008, 11:22 AM
yeah. west virginia does have a surprisingly good crust scene.

StreetLight3989
09-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I live in NYC and there is a very big punk scene. We have alot of NYHC bands/supporters. ALOT of streetpunkers with the bullet belts and studded jackets and what not. Theres every ''scene'' in NYC. Check out Rabia. I saw them play with the new version of Reagan Youth.

www.myspace.com/rabia
Check out the Brooklyn scene, it's better than any other scene in NYC.

I saw them a weekend or two ago in Clarksburg, WV, and they were awesome. I ended up talking to the drummer afterward about how John Mcain ****ed himself by picking an inexperienced woman as his running mate.

Anyway, I'm just finding out that West Virgina has a decent punk and ska scene. I have to travel about an hour at least to go to shows though, because all the places we used to have shows at in my town won't let anyone rent them out anymore. I'm currently starting a desperate search for places to have punk shows 'cause I'm tired of not having any close by.
Can you or somebody else do basement/house shows? A lot of scenes run mostly on house shows, see if you can find some places to do some house shows in your town.

anarkee
09-06-2008, 06:30 PM

www.myspace.com/rabia

I am supremely jealous. I miss NYC so much :sad:

RiotRiotUpstart
09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
There's a punk scene in West Virginia? I haven't heard of that at all.

ArsonAarin
09-07-2008, 01:15 AM
No worries punk out here in Arizona is non-existent. We should all just move to one town and then it'll be taken care of, I vote Pittsburgh.

Ska Wars
09-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Arizona's got Andrew Jackson Jihad, right? What more could you ask for?

RiotRiotUpstart
09-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Maybe he's looking for something that's actually good.

Zero Substance
09-07-2008, 02:31 AM
andrew jackson jihad is amazing

whyvern
09-07-2008, 09:52 AM
No worries punk out here in Arizona is non-existent. We should all just move to one town and then it'll be taken care of, I vote Pittsburgh.

DIGITAL LEATHER, TOKYO ELECTRON, ANDREW JACKSON JIHAD... jeez what more could ya ask for. Get yer ass over to Tempe dude.

Why the hell should we all move to Pittsburgh? There's nothing cool there and it's pretty expensive to live there. I don't know what city is the best city for all the punks to move to... I wanna say to Chattanooga or Brooklyn cos they're relatively cheap and easy to get around and there's alot of punks there all ready but I dunno. At one point we wanted to get all the punks to move to Nauru in the South Pacific.... yeah, it didn't work out cos there's NOTHING on Nauru. Maybe the punks should all move to Port Louis, Mauritius? It's a pretty well developed city, good climate and cheapish to live in.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Port_Louis_Skyline.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Port_Louis.jpg

Hello.Kitty
09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Someone come to Newport Beach. And party.

http://www.occahomes4sale.com/Newport-Beach-2.jpg

captain_jack
09-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Can you or somebody else do basement/house shows? A lot of scenes run mostly on house shows, see if you can find some places to do some house shows in your town.

I've tried, but no luck. I'm still trying and I'll keep trying, but pretty much everybody who's into music is in high school so they live with their parents. And their parents usually aren't too keen on that kinda stuff. I'd have shows in my garage but my parents won't let me. I'm thinkin' about calling the local fire hall or the VFW and seeing if I could rent either one out for an evening.

EDIT: find an abandoned building in the middle of nowhere get someone that's 18 to rent a generator or buy one and have shows until the cops tell you to stop.

That's an idea. I'll have to keep on the lookout for such buildings.

whyvern
09-07-2008, 04:19 PM
find an abandoned building in the middle of nowhere get someone that's 18 to rent a generator or buy one and have shows until the cops tell you to stop.

Iluvpowerchords
09-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Mauritius isn't cool anymore cuz all the Dodo birds died out.

If they still had Dodos I'd be down.

Actually.

I'd be down now. Mauritius is still sweet.

Plus if I became a citizen I could probably have a shot at making their national soccer team :)

beyondthegrave
09-08-2008, 01:23 AM
the only punk bands here is a group im tryin to start. you can hear a song in my sig called unknown assailants and i have a friend tryin to start a punk band. i think hes gonna play drums in the band im tryin to start if we can ever get our shit together. the others i was tryin to start it with one aint to serious and the other moved away about a week ago.

PenFighter19
09-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Theres nothing worthwhile here anymore. Theres Youth Riot who're startin to get it down but really they still suck. Everything is Florida is being overrun by rap, indie, and f*#kin punk-pop bands.

lolmnt
09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm not seeing any indie or pop punk. It's all metalcore and brut00l stuff.

Iluvpowerchords
09-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Now I vote we should all move to Tasmania.

Hobart probably.

That'd be sweet.

Hello.Kitty
09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
So whos gonna come to California to party with me. I'm waiting.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-08-2008, 03:42 PM
California is so ****ing far away. I've always thought it would be a cool place to visit, but Texas is the farthest west I've ever been.

PenFighter19
09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm not seeing any indie or pop punk. It's all metalcore and brut00l stuff.

I dont even count the metal bands here. Almost every Florida-born metal band Ive seen was total sh*t.
Well there was Complex Theory, I played bass with them for a little while. Their guitarist is incredible but thats as far as it went. And he never could find a decent vocalist. I kept offering to pick up vocals while we kept looking for a replacement after his original left, never did.. besides, he hates punk so yeah.. I didnt stay there long. His solo tracks are great though.

k90728
09-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Check out the Brooklyn scene, it's better than any other scene in NYC.

Yep it is. Alot of shows i go to are in Brooklyn. Also alot of the shows are house shows in BK. Saw Reagan Youth play in an apartment lmfao... I didnt notice it was someones crib until i reliezed that im putting my empty can on his book-case and my friends taking pictures standing on his sofa. Haha. Also it was on the 2nd-3rd floor(I was to Blasted to remember) The neighbors must hate the kid.

lavazza
09-09-2008, 08:55 AM
California is so ****ing far away. I've always thought it would be a cool place to visit, but Texas is the farthest west I've ever been.

I once have been to London :haha

hard_rock101
09-09-2008, 10:25 AM
the scene here has actually started to gain some steam. there are quite a few bands now, where there used to be only a small handfull. its sort of like a tribe, we all hang out with one another, drink, shoot the shit, and play shows. there is a festival coming up at the end of the month, and most of the bands from my area are playing, including mine. so maybe this scene will get somewhere

InstantAXonHero
09-09-2008, 09:53 PM
We did have 'Captain Everything', not real punk but damn fun shows to go to.

ezlntrooper
09-10-2008, 12:33 AM
So whos gonna come to California to party with me. I'm waiting.
Throw a backyard show with alot of brew and I'm in! :)
Over here is south LA it's been stagnant lately. Usually there are shows in old parking lots around here with ska bands or backyard shows in Compton, but my friend whose house I'd crash left to Irvine, so I dunno bout the shows there anymore. :(
We just drive to Hollywood.....the misfits are playing with D.I. and the Dickies in November, but the House of Blues gets on my nerves.

hooligan07
09-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Over here is south LA it's been stagnant lately. Usually there are shows in old parking lots around here with ska bands or backyard shows in Compton, but my friend whose house I'd crash left to Irvine, so I dunno bout the shows there anymore. :(
We just drive to Hollywood.....the misfits are playing with D.I. and the Dickies in November, but the House of Blues gets on my nerves.

yeah i've been to a few south central gigs, but in my opinion east los has better gigs along with the gigs in lincoln heights/ el sereno

Hello.Kitty
09-10-2008, 05:49 AM

How old are you? My band has a few gigs lined up right now I just got back from playing a show in Huntington Beach. We're going to book in LA real soon maybe you could come out. If you drive though come out to Newport Beach to hang out regardless we're always hanging out drinking every night.

ezlntrooper
09-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm 18 right now, 19 in November :D
Huntington Beach isn't that bad of a drive, especially not if it's for a good show :p: cool, I'd definitely go to shows you get booked here in LA. and yup, I drive, may take you up on that offer when I don't have some test to study for.

and hooligan, are there shows in east LA often? I used to have family there and I'd be there every other weekend around 1st and some other street, around where this big swapmeet kinda place is at, they're building that metro thing around there now.

hooligan07
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
lol!! thats el mercadito!!!

and yes there are gigs every weekend usually that i dont go to anymore.
but yes there are and they can range from punk, metal, emo and psychobilly.
used to love em

JesusOfSbrbia
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
A new punk venue just opened up in my area, about an hour away. Their first show is this Saturday. Definitely gonna try to get someone to cover my shift that night so I can go check it out.

They're conveniently located in Grapevine, which is just south of the DFW Intl Airport. So it's in the middle of everything. I hope that means they draw bigger crowds than the venues in Dallas that are too far away for Fort Worth and Arlington kids.

Also, this new venue doesn't have a bar. They're aggressively advertising to kids at the nearby high schools, so I'm interested to see how well this is gonna work.

ezlntrooper
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
lol!! thats el mercadito!!!

and yes there are gigs every weekend usually that i dont go to anymore.
but yes there are and they can range from punk, metal, emo and psychobilly.
used to love em
El Mercadito! yea, that's it! my dad used to deliver....products >_> to some people there so I'd tag along and walk around there or head out to cesar chavez st. cool to hear that there are alot of shows there. so you don't go to them anymore?

Hello.Kitty
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Huntington Beach isn't that bad of a drive, especially not if it's for a good show :p: cool, I'd definitely go to shows you get booked here in LA. and yup, I drive, may take you up on that offer when I don't have some test to study for.

and hooligan, are there shows in east LA often? I used to have family there and I'd be there every other weekend around 1st and some other street, around where this big swapmeet kinda place is at, they're building that metro thing around there now.

Our next show is 21+ with Poop[Rikk Agnews band] and this good ska band called Not a Chance check em out on myspace.

But come down to hang out anyway. I don't drive anymore since totalling my car so let me know when you want to come to Newport. We'll drink some beers with my homies.

Absent Cries
09-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I live in Jersey, up in Sussex County. In my town, as of right now, the scene has taken a few hits. 3 of our bands broke up and most of the members are currently inactive. My friend puts on an annual fest, called KittenFest, and every year it gets a little bit bigger. Other friends of mine put on shows at the local firehouse and a Knights of Columbus. I don't know how familiar you guys are with the area, but recently we've had a few shows down in Montclair at the Meatlocker. In Newton, which is like 20 minutes from me, the singer of this band Unopposed puts on shows in this bar he runs.

Its alive, not kicking.

StreetLight3989
09-10-2008, 07:48 PM
I live in Jersey, up in Sussex County. In my town, as of right now, the scene has taken a few hits. 3 of our bands broke up and most of the members are currently inactive. My friend puts on an annual fest, called KittenFest, and every year it gets a little bit bigger. Other friends of mine put on shows at the local firehouse and a Knights of Columbus. I don't know how familiar you guys are with the area, but recently we've had a few shows down in Montclair at the Meatlocker. In Newton, which is like 20 minutes from me, the singer of this band Unopposed puts on shows in this bar he runs.

Its alive, not kicking.
You should check out New Brunswick, pretty cool stuff around there. Also, I may go to this KittenFest thing, where and when is it and who's playing? I don't think I've ever been to the Meatlocker, but I've definitely heard about some shows there, it's about 20 minutes away from me too I think.

gopherthegreat
09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
You should check out New Brunswick, pretty cool stuff around there. Also, I may go to this KittenFest thing, where and when is it and who's playing? I don't think I've ever been to the Meatlocker, but I've definitely heard about some shows there, it's about 20 minutes away from me too I think.
That is one of the best festival names ever.

StreetLight3989
09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
That is one of the best festival names ever.
That's what appealed to me, well that and it's not too far from me apparently if it's in Sussex, but mostly the Kitten thing.

Absent Cries
09-10-2008, 08:31 PM

One of my friends goes there more than I do and he brought me to a basement show one time. Some powerviolence band from the UK or something played.I enjoyed it. Saw alot more vests and cut off shirts then up in my area. And alot of seven inches. Which is sweet. Also went to the grease trucks (possible capitalization?). Figured I'd throw that in there.

The KittenFest name I'm pretty sure started as a joke, but it just stuck with time. Usually its all the local acts, and bands from the surrounding areas. This past one there were many touring bands. Mad Conductor, if I remember correctly almost played. This year it was 2 days.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/thecaskets/?action=view&current=kittenfestecopy.jpg

^^That was one of the first flyers.(I cant get the HTML to work) Its usually in the summer, but the girl that hosts the show, does other ones throughout the year (MittenFest, InFest, not always ending in Fest, but you get the idea.

StreetLight3989
09-10-2008, 08:40 PM
One of my friends goes there more than I do and he brought me to a basement show one time. Some powerviolence band from the UK or something played.I enjoyed it. Saw alot more vests and cut off shirts then up in my area. And alot of seven inches. Which is sweet. Also went to the grease trucks (possible capitalization?). Figured I'd throw that in there.

The KittenFest name I'm pretty sure started as a joke, but it just stuck with time. Usually its all the local acts, and bands from the surrounding areas. This past one there were many touring bands. Mad Conductor, if I remember correctly almost played. This year it was 2 days.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/thecaskets/?action=view&current=kittenfestecopy.jpg

^^That was one of the first flyers.(I cant get the HTML to work) Its usually in the summer, but the girl that hosts the show, does other ones throughout the year (MittenFest, InFest, not always ending in Fest, but you get the idea.
I'll check some stuff out, I've never really knew there was a scene in Sussex. Also dude, try to get down to New Brunswick some more, there are really some great bands playing now and the shows are usually tons of fun. I've never gone to a crust/powerviolence show there, but I definitely will check that out.

hooligan07
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
El Mercadito! yea, that's it! my dad used to deliver....products >_> to some people there so I'd tag along and walk around there or head out to cesar chavez st. cool to hear that there are alot of shows there. so you don't go to them anymore?

i still go about every few months or so but i guess i sorta got bored of them after a few years of the sames shit.

but i still go to a few once in while just to see what the scene is like

sargasm
09-10-2008, 10:26 PM

Its alive, not kicking.

We had something called KittenFest here too. It was just the name for a couple basement shows that happened to be in the same weekend.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I can't go to that new venue's grand opening :( It will be a busy Saturday at work, and no one can cover my shift.

ezlntrooper
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Our next show is 21+ with Poop[Rikk Agnews band] and this good ska band called Not a Chance check em out on myspace.

But come down to hang out anyway. I don't drive anymore since totalling my car so let me know when you want to come to Newport. We'll drink some beers with my homies.
cool, i'll check them out, definitely. sounds cool man, i'll see when i got a free weekend and a tank of gas. haha

hooligan, i can relate to that, tired of the same shit after awhile. after awhile i start missing it though :p:

crustyreed
09-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Good sir I have just taken note of your Poster name.

;)

David_Bowie=GOD
09-11-2008, 09:09 PM
seeing i live in emporia, not emporia kansas or emporia iowa, nobody in my town likes punk. The only people who like rock music in my town really are either metal heads, listen to more classic rock, or they only know guitar hero music and claim they are huge fans of the bands on those games.

RiotRiotUpstart
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
^I'm from Virginia and I've never even heard of Emporia.

anarkee
09-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I'll check some stuff out, I've never really knew there was a scene in Sussex. Also dude, try to get down to New Brunswick some more, there are really some great bands playing now and the shows are usually tons of fun. I've never gone to a crust/powerviolence show there, but I definitely will check that out.

So is there any sort of scene left in Bergen County? That used to be my old stomping grounds, though I must admit I spent a good deal of my time in NYC and there used to be decent scenes in Union City and Paterson.

ezlntrooper
09-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Good sir I have just taken note of your Poster name.

;)
we'll i'll be damned, someone got it! lol im sure it would have helped if i had spaced it out a bit.
:cheers:

emery01
09-12-2008, 01:28 AM
The punk scene (I hate that word) here in Perth is pretty awesome at the moment.

As a matter of fact a punk band called Project Mayhem won the "Next Big Thing" award, which is a yearly competition that's been running for quite a while. It's the one of best awards you can win in WA.

It was good to see, seeing as it's open to any band of any style.

lounge act
09-13-2008, 12:35 AM
We don't have much of a scene that I know of, but tomorrow night I'm going to see my friend's friends' band. (Damn good apostrophes right there.) His cousin was also in The Code, a ska (I think) band from Pittsburgh. I'm not sure what Pissburgh's scene is like but I hate that place too much to ever want to go there. I'm right in the middle of Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, so if there's any really good bands there it's not that big of a deal to get there. I'm hoping to go see Streetlight in Buffalo in October. My immediate local scene seems to be all metalcore, emo, screamo.

StreetLight3989
09-13-2008, 10:32 AM
So is there any sort of scene left in Bergen County? That used to be my old stomping grounds, though I must admit I spent a good deal of my time in NYC and there used to be decent scenes in Union City and Paterson.
Hmm, I'm not really sure, I'll check it out. I mean that's not too far from me, I'm in Somerset county.

Gibjian
09-13-2008, 07:02 PM
dude i live in manassas. It sucks for pretty much all music.

DanRev
09-13-2008, 07:21 PM
****s sake, I just read the title of this thread as spunk in your arse...

To make this a valid post, we have The Apostates, and thats about it.

RockThe40oz
09-13-2008, 09:02 PM

So many VA kids... come down to blacksburg/roanoke and party! or come to richmond saturday the 20th of september and see me play a show with folk the system, the screws and pedals on our pirate ships!

devourthekitten
09-13-2008, 09:26 PM
This band is local, but they kind of suck:
http://www.myspace.com/geriatricgrinder

lounge act
09-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Well the show I went to tonight was 60% good. It had pop punk, alternative, a bad hardcore band, and a rap group who was fronted by the "King of the city, man!":rolleyes:
About 50 people were there, with some more in the back, possibly listening, but maybe not. No scene kids, no hardcore dancing, it was actually really fun. I'll probably go there a lot now. It may be on life support, but it's still a scene.

JohnnyBlunders
09-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I live in the Chicago land area, and everyone there thinks Avril Lavigne and Greenday are punk. Then once you mention a band like Stiff Little Fingers, they jump at it and start mimicking you.

Zero Substance
09-14-2008, 11:38 AM
chicago has some of the sickest shows if you know where to look. ask crustyreed.

JohnnyBlunders
09-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Of course. That is in Chicago. I live in the farming suburbs that are booming, so all of these assholes are moving out there.

Jett Diamond
09-14-2008, 12:14 PM
aw I'm sorry! Manassas is horrible! My band used to do a ton of shows out in Manassas at Costello Rec. Center with Youth in Asia. The scene out there was actually pretty good for a long time, but it all went to hell when everyone started getting pregnant, dropping out of school, and refusing to leave their homes on the basis they wanted to smoke MORE pot.

Fuck Manassas. It killed my best friends.

As is, I have an alright scene around me. A local label has pretty much started managing the scene, and they're making it somewhat difficult to do anything without them, which is frustrating if you don't want to. My old band the RipOuts reformed this weekend though, with a new sound, so we're hoping we can still get some shows and such.

RiotRiotUpstart
09-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Manassas...wasn't that where the Blast Haus was? I saw Common Enemy there. Oh and if you wanna talk about a dead scene in northern VA, come to Stafford. There is nothing here. So I don't wanna hear the rest of you VA bastards complain, because I have to drive a minimum of an hour to see a show.

Jett Diamond
09-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah the Blast House was there. I never hung around that part of the scene though. It wasn't for me.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't complaining.

badpun
11-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Theres pretty much not much of a scene where i am (that i'm aware of) but there is a decent punk band that i've recently discovered called Public Liability :www.myspace.com/publicliability2006

RizzoWashburn
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
wow... old thread. Our scene is pretty small, but its pretty close knit. There's probably like 30 or so people who come to shows regularly depending on where you are.

the_baker
12-02-2008, 07:33 PM
NY has a great scene
a little close knit but still great
especially in Manhattan which is only about a 10 minuets away from me so its not so bad

StreetLight3989
12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
NY has a great scene
a little close knit but still great
especially in Manhattan which is only about a 10 minuets away from me so its not so bad
You should check out Brooklyn if you live around there. I've seen a bunch of bands from there and they're all great.

David_Bowie=GOD
12-02-2008, 10:33 PM
my scene, i can describe it pretty easy

there is none, sucks

metalmafia13
12-02-2008, 10:41 PM
The scene in Austin, Tx is pretty ****ing sick
Especially in the last couple of moths there's been some good bands showing up

Swap-Meet
12-03-2008, 12:40 AM
The scene in Austin, Tx is pretty ****ing sick
Especially in the last couple of moths there's been some good bands showing up

lucky bastard...LCB play there like once a ****ing month :(

Cory Smash
12-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I guess there are maybe more in the city, but in the county where I live there are NONE. I'm about it. At least I was at my high school.

rizZo52792
12-05-2008, 10:52 PM
the kid that lives in GA should come down to Dalton, its got a little scene, but it aint too shabby

lounge.act94
12-05-2008, 11:55 PM
i've just gotten into punk(past year or so) and people who have told me about the campbell river punk scene have told me its dying down and that not many shows happen anymore. The Drunken Idiots (local band from parksville) played a couple nights ago but i missed it by accident. Alot of metal shows happen here same with raves. I don't care for either of those. but the whole punk thing in campbell river ain't that great.

ezlntrooper
12-06-2008, 09:34 PM
then get involved before its gone! try to keep it going!
or give up and come to L.A. and get lost in its huge scene... :o

sargasm
12-06-2008, 09:53 PM
That's the reason places like LA really intimidate me. I can't imagine being part of a scene that big. I like knowing everyone within the community.

RizzoWashburn
12-06-2008, 10:05 PM
That's the reason places like LA really intimidate me. I can't imagine being part of a scene that big. I like knowing everyone within the community.
This.

I suppose it would be interesting because there would always be new people to meet, but it would be rather overwhelming.

The NH scene is nice, but its pretty small. I'd like to go to a medium sized city where there would be a good amount of people but not so many that it would be intimidating.

yeahyeah
12-07-2008, 01:30 AM
then get involved before its gone! try to keep it going!
or give up and come to L.A. and get lost in its huge scene... :o
I'm gonna be in Anaheim on the 31, 1 and maybe 2.

Any fun shows in the area?

ezlntrooper
12-07-2008, 02:35 AM
This.

I suppose it would be interesting because there would always be new people to meet, but it would be rather overwhelming.

The NH scene is nice, but its pretty small. I'd like to go to a medium sized city where there would be a good amount of people but not so many that it would be intimidating.

I envy the smaller scenes for that. definitely intimidating when people flake out on you and you know nobody at the gig. ive met some cool people that way, but as you'd probably guess, it's hard keeping contact with them when you all came from a few cities over.

and yeahyeah, not sure about any shows in anaheim for those dates.
sorry man, but if i hear anything, i'll be sure to let you know.

Zero Substance
12-07-2008, 11:22 AM
The DC scene is wonderful. Its pretty big and has lots of awesome bands (Like Magrudergrind), but there is a group of people that consistently come to all the shows so you get to know people pretty fast.

Food_is_good
12-08-2008, 11:22 PM
i've just gotten into punk(past year or so) and people who have told me about the campbell river punk scene have told me its dying down and that not many shows happen anymore. The Drunken Idiots (local band from parksville) played a couple nights ago but i missed it by accident. Alot of metal shows happen here same with raves. I don't care for either of those. but the whole punk thing in campbell river ain't that great.

DUDE!!! Campbell river!!!!

Yeah, we have raves and the occasional metal show, that's about it.
The Punk shows kind of died off a while ago

I also missed that Drunken Idiots show, but I heard it wasn't very good. The other band didn't show up or something.

punkmesilly
12-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Long Island has a pretty sweet punk rock scene I must say. since were so close to NYC alot of their bands just play on long island to spread the love. Plus alot of good bands originated on LI.

Randio
12-22-2008, 09:01 PM
We got like only one punk band where I live, as far as I know. Guess that should change a bit.

BostonLacrosse
12-23-2008, 12:09 AM
i go to school in Machias Maine, and if you want the definition of scene-less go there. Although for some people who are into the folk scene i live like a 2 second walk from the Beehive Collective.

TheAdict310
12-23-2008, 03:28 AM
Columbus, Ohio's got Delay and Tin Armor... that's all you really need. The guy from the Sidekicks also lives here now, though the rest of his band lives in Cleveland. But he played solo one night, and it was pretty great. There's also this alt-country bad, Two Cow Garage. I've never seen them play, but they're great recorded.

famous1234
12-27-2008, 08:19 PM

dude really where is NH r there good shows cause I'd love 2 c some punk shows. I live in the northern part of NH and there is no scene at all.

gopherthegreat
12-27-2008, 09:04 PM
dude really where is NH r there good shows cause I'd love 2 c some punk shows. I live in the northern part of NH and there is no scene at all.
I live in southern New Hampshire, I don't know about the northern part.

XXm3t@lXX
12-29-2008, 02:26 AM
The Houston scene is pretty sick.
I mean, Its not overwhelmingly huge,
and its not too small.
I know about half of the people in the scene,
alot of em are skinheads, crusties, or street punks.
Its a great scene to be a part of,
and I wouldnt leave it for anything.

Just for reference,
You should check out some of these bands from houston on myspace.

Molotov compromise
Rats in the attic
Ghost storys
Snot nosed terrors

whyvern
12-29-2008, 11:12 PM
the kid that lives in GA should come down to Dalton, its got a little scene, but it aint too shabby

"In a ****ed up little town that's always on my mind!"
-JACK PALANCE BAND, 'Dalton, GA'

Do you see Mickey around? He used to live or now lives in Chattanooga he's a good buddy. GTO CRACKWAGON was one of the best Dalton bands.

RockThe40oz
12-30-2008, 01:40 AM
I used to talk to a girl from Dalton way back in the day. I think we met through myspace or something. She ran a website for all the Dalton area bands and shows. I think her name was Ashley, but I really can't remember. If somebody said her last name I'd probably recognize it immediately.

whyvern
12-30-2008, 03:01 AM
I probably have met her in Chattanooga. We were supposed to play Dalton one time I think... I know one time I was supposed to go there to help my friend buy drugs. They told me they couldn't pay me with gas or beer money but when we got there I'd get to huff all the paint I wanted.

Some people who have been in some of the very best punk bands ever have been from Dalton, GA... something about carpet mills that does that to ya.

Swap-Meet
01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Anyone know who's touring with Flogging Molly on their green 17 tour? If they come with some interesting openers I'll probably go.

BostonLacrosse
01-02-2009, 05:31 PM
the only one i can find any info on is in Miami and Against Me! is apparently opening, no other info out there though

gopherthegreat
01-02-2009, 05:34 PM
They told me they couldn't pay me with gas or beer money but when we got there I'd get to huff all the paint I wanted.
:haha