Punk vocals?

PDA

View Full Version : Punk vocals?

rockhard182
09-04-2008, 09:55 PM
how do you do the intense shouting style punk vocals without messing your throat up?

thomaserak
09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
you don't. it's pretty bad on your throat, but you gotta make sacrifices sometimes.

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Smoke five packs a day, and instead of brushing your teeth drink vodka

l3p4rd
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
you develop it and eventually it'll stop hurting. In the long run you'll loose your voice when you get older

Avengethedeath
09-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Yah you really cant.Sorta off subject from punk music but Many Metalcore bands only last around 5 years if they dont change the vocal styles. Thats why you hear bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu are now singing instead of screaming and yelling. And Eighteen Visions also had to change their vocals near the end of there existence.

neidnarb11890
09-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Smoke five packs a day, and instead of brushing your teeth drink vodka
This

Swap-Meet
09-04-2008, 10:37 PM
It takes a little to get used to, both me and my brother lost our voices on stage (we were both sick + intense practicing and shows close together) and we were the only two singers...it wasn't a very fun show to say the least.

but once you get used to your throat being soar, and it's just your voice that eventually starts to crap out, this is why alot of bands are only on stage for about an hour.

THere are other ways than smoking ciggarettes too, I quit before I started to play shows again, and my brother hasn't smoked in years, and we're usually fine for shows.

Hello.Kitty
09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I've been doing it for quite a few years. And its taken a huge toll on my voice. Practice. And smoke a lot.

rockhard182
09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
sweet! i thought i was doing it wrong cuz my throat dies alot.
its a bonus that i dont have to stop smoking too

Hello.Kitty
09-04-2008, 11:04 PM
For the real..

I quit smoking 10 days ago for singing.

rockhard182
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
well technically i dont smoke... cigarettes... ;)

RockThe40oz
09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
well technically i dont smoke... cigarettes... ;)

It's odd.. I've done a lot of different drugs, but never taken a single drag off a cigarette.

rockhard182
09-04-2008, 11:47 PM
ive had em before, its just an expensive habit to have

and to stay on topic, drinking vodka actually helps?

sargasm
09-04-2008, 11:53 PM
drinking vodka actually helps?

Well it certainly never hurts

Until the next morning, anyway

Swap-Meet
09-05-2008, 12:01 AM
ive had em before, its just an expensive habit to have

and to stay on topic, drinking vodka actually helps?

are you a stupid drunk?

if you can control yourself while your drunk atleast you won't be so miserable about your throat hurting.

Adarsh
09-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Am I the only one who thought the vodka was a joke?

JesusOfSbrbia
09-05-2008, 02:53 AM
the trick is to gargle with razor blades.

actually, if you have a good voice, I would recommend using it, by actually singing.

just so you know, yelling until you lose your voice WILL cause permanent damage to your throat and your vocal cords. so think carefully before you decide that's the path you want to take.

FuzzyBear
09-05-2008, 06:10 AM
drink lots of room temperature water or a warm cup of tea to loosen up your vocalcords & try to stay away from cold drinks while your singing/shouting

lavazza
09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Am I the only one who thought the vodka was a joke?

Probably yes. But youīre the only arab here and muslims mustnīt drink alcohol, right? (Are you muslim?)
Oh and if that wasnīt a joke, I need to get a Russian to sing in my band.

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 07:38 AM
I just try and sing nicely, but it comes out super resonant, gravelly and frightening to small children.

I've been using my bass register recently, it's really quite unnerving. I sang 'summertime blues' with a band the other day, swear I made a drunk guy sh*t his self.

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 07:41 AM
I need to get a Russian to sing in my band.

Maybe you could find someone if you promise that he's allowed to occupy berlin and rape the German women whilst keeping the concentration camps running just a bit longer.

That was probably quite offensive. In which case, I'd like to add that the behaviour of the Russian army in 1945 does not reflect the whole Russian nation.

lavazza
09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Maybe you could find someone if you promise that he's allowed to occupy berlin and rape the German women whilst keeping the concentration camps running just a bit longer.

That was probably quite offensive. In which case, I'd like to add that the behaviour of the Russian army in 1945 does not reflect the whole Russian nation.

But vodka refelcts it.
Did you know that beer does not count as alcohol in Russia? So when I drank a barrel and drive a car, you may do that.
Oh and for a Russian I just need to go to the social hot spot of my town and ask various persons, when I come out alive I might have a singer.

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Beer doesn't count as alcohol? Christ.

I hate to think about car accidents, because most Russians are mongoloids or slavs, which isn't the best genetic background for drinking.

lavazza
09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
I donīt want to tell lies, but iīve heard that from different persons, maybe itīs just an urban legend, but I donīt think so.
And for car accidents lots of Russian lack a certain thing........a car.

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Oh yeah, good call.

Um... bear crashes! :D

lavazza
09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
^:haha

JesusOfSbrbia
09-05-2008, 02:00 PM
:haha :facepalm:

RizzoWashburn
09-05-2008, 04:03 PM
It's odd.. I've done a lot of different drugs, but never taken a single drag off a cigarette.
I tried one once just to see what the fuss was about. I honestly thing I could have rolled up a tea bag and gotten the same effect.

chrismetal86
09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Depends on how old you are, it's alot easier to sing loud (like those punk bands) when your voice is fully developed.

Hello.Kitty
09-05-2008, 05:50 PM
I found that you actually don't develop your voice until years of singing.

axeslash
09-05-2008, 05:54 PM
I've found that if I don't sing no one will criticize my voice.

Hello.Kitty
09-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've been heckled when I first started playing in bands. Kinda made our band though.

Your voice will change every year or so in singing until you'll hit that right tone and swagger. Keep singing.

Zero Substance
09-05-2008, 06:43 PM
when you first start out, your attempted vocals sound like strained yelling. after awhile of doing it, your vocal cords get used to it and you start to sound like you smoke too much. when that happens, it gets easy, sounds better, and it doesn't hurt anymore.

Adarsh
09-06-2008, 03:13 AM
Probably yes. But youīre the only arab here and muslims mustnīt drink alcohol, right? (Are you muslim?)
Oh and if that wasnīt a joke, I need to get a Russian to sing in my band.

Haha I'm neither arab nor muslim...

And I would say that if you can sing without having to yell, do it. If you can't hold any kind of pitch, yell.

Mav-16
09-06-2008, 05:08 AM
personally, one of my favorite singers lately is Bruce Loose of Flipper, he has a ****in sweet shout, Will Shatter too to be honest, I love em both.......

Flipper Rules

(Is hearing SEx Bomb in the background)

lavazza
09-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Haha I'm neither arab nor muslim...

And I would say that if you can sing without having to yell, do it. If you can't hold any kind of pitch, yell.

name me any really good punkband with a singer who sings (Common Rider doesnīt count, as well as Television, which is no real punk band)

Adarsh
09-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Even if I'm not a huge fan of them, Bad Religion. Johnny Thunders used to attempt it, Descendents, Buzzcocks etc. but I guess they would be Pop-Punk, Jello Biafra used to do it for the Dead Kennedys, The Rezillos, X (harmonies as well. wow). I guess some people like the Misfits as well.....

There must be others that I've missed out as well.

Stiff Little Fingers, Only Crime in parts.....would they count?

lavazza
09-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Even if I'm not a huge fan of them, Bad Religion. Johnny Thunders used to attempt it, Descendents, Buzzcocks etc. but I guess they would be Pop-Punk, Jello Biafra used to do it for the Dead Kennedys, The Rezillos, X (harmonies as well. wow). I guess some people like the Misfits as well.....

There must be others that I've missed out as well.

Stiff Little Fingers, Only Crime in parts.....would they count?

Iīll count DK and when Iīm in a generous mood also Bad Religion.......whatever Iīd say it depends on what music youīd liek to make.

If you are Little Pavarotti but wnat to sing Crust your voice neednīt be perfect for it, also for Anarcho or Grindcore

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I wish I could really sing.

I'd love to have an awesome vocal range, one that went down to G0 and up to C5.

Not to worry, work with what you got, eh?

lavazza
09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Hail to those who have an automatic tremolo in their voice

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 09:46 AM
That would sound horrible. You don't want a warbling volume to your singing.

lavazza
09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
it was a joke, maybe under the niveau of Cold Megan, but when you cannout keep a tone, but circle around the right one, but most of the time being higher or deeper..........I could also say: Hail to those who cannot keep a tone

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Don't you mean vibrato, i.e. a quivering/fluctuation in pitch?

That would be the much wider recognised vocal technique

I love to overdo vibrato on those resonant baritone notes that I can hit. Partly because it sounds like a cross between Dave Lee Roth and Danzig.

Adarsh
09-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Don't you mean vibrato, i.e. a quivering/fluctuation in pitch?

That would be the much wider recognised vocal technique

I love to overdo vibrato on those resonant baritone notes that I can hit. Partly because it sounds like a cross between Dave Lee Roth and Danzig.

I think that might be what he means; Jello uses it occasionally, and a lot of opera singers use it cause apparently it's easier to generate volume.

I used it a couple of times, before my drummer threatened to switch off my mic.

David_Bowie=GOD
09-06-2008, 05:21 PM

not at all, i smoked my first joint before my first cig.

Ska Wars
09-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Me too. Except I can't even smoke cigarettes. The last time I did I almost threw up. I don't see how anyone can smoke 'em.

David_Bowie=GOD
09-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Me too. Except I can't even smoke cigarettes. The last time I did I almost threw up. I don't see how anyone can smoke 'em.

I never figured out to properly inhale them, with weed though i usually smoke it out a bowl, which just screws me up almost instantly.

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Am I the only one that smoked my first cig before my first joint?

David_Bowie=GOD
09-06-2008, 05:55 PM

in this thread it seems that way

Zero Substance
09-07-2008, 01:09 AM

yes

ArsonAarin
09-07-2008, 01:20 AM
"the trick is to gargle with razor blades.

actually, if you have a good voice, I would recommend using it, by actually singing.

just so you know, yelling until you lose your voice WILL cause permanent damage to your throat and your vocal cords. so think carefully before you decide that's the path you want to take."

I concur.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-07-2008, 11:18 PM
when you first start out, your attempted vocals sound like strained yelling. after awhile of doing it, your vocal cords get used to it and you start to sound like you smoke too much. when that happens, it gets easy, sounds better, and it doesn't hurt anymore.
Sounds like what I need. The way I'm doing it now, I'm trying to emulate the throaty growl of Crimpshrine and early Jawbreaker. I can't get into it when I'm singing, I have to yell in order to get my energy out and perform well. It hurts, especially at the beginning of practice. By the end of practice, my throat is usually okay, but my diaphragm is sore as a bitch.

crustyreed
09-07-2008, 11:30 PM
damnit i thought this was going to go off into the drug direction... what a shame it didn't

and yeah Bud before ciggarettes

Cool trick my GF is a smoker. I am getting the ability to tell what she is smoking that day based on kissing her.

I think it's awesome....

and growling is the best punx vokillz.

Zero Substance
09-08-2008, 12:06 AM
yeah. grind vocals get your vocal cords shredded nice and quick.

rockhard182
09-08-2008, 12:14 AM
well i found if i try to do higher pitched yelling it hurts my voice. Im much more comfortable around a SSD or Cheap Sex range.

And i cant sing very well, but its passable in certain situations.

just taking a break for a day and trying to yell again made a huge difference. i could almost feel my voice breaking in

RiotRiotUpstart
09-08-2008, 01:12 AM
I had a cig before I smoked pot. I really can't imagine not smoking cigarettes but smoking weed. All the people I know who smoke weed also smoke cigarettes, and have been smoking cigs longer than weed.

My progression went:
Cigs -> Alcohol -> Weed -> Prescription/OTC drugs. I lay off the drugs now though. Actually I think I dipped before I started smoking cigarettes, and the only thing I do anymore is dip. I don't give a **** how redneck that is.

samoo
09-08-2008, 02:00 AM
lol you don't need to smoke to do punk vocals. Developing a voice is like riding a bike (over used analogy but what the hell) and of course you don't start easy but you build everything up nice and slow.

lavazza
09-08-2008, 08:00 AM
I had a cig before I smoked pot. I really can't imagine not smoking cigarettes but smoking weed. All the people I know who smoke weed also smoke cigarettes, and have been smoking cigs longer than weed.

My progression went:
Cigs -> Alcohol -> Weed -> Prescription/OTC drugs. I lay off the drugs now though. Actually I think I dipped before I started smoking cigarettes, and the only thing I do anymore is dip. I don't give a **** how redneck that is.

I know some people who appreciate a joint, but at least oen gets a headache from smoking cigarettes

RockThe40oz
09-08-2008, 08:29 AM

I'm also 5 years older than you and have done a lot more drugs than pot.

I never smoked a cigarette because I never saw the point in smoking something that could seriously harm your health without any real recreational benefit other than fitting in the with the crowd and getting an extra 5 minute break at work.

lavazza
09-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm also 5 years older than you and have done a lot more drugs than pot.

I never smoked a cigarette because I never saw the point in smoking something that could seriously harm your health without any real recreational benefit other than fitting in the with the crowd and getting an extra 5 minute break at work.

Donīt say something like that. It finances your fatherland

RockThe40oz
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Donīt say something like that. It finances your fatherland

Haha. This isn't the 1800s anymore. The financing it does for corrupt corporations selling a product designed to addict and harm individuals far outweighs the benefit of giving our country more money to wage wars while completely neglecting the well-being of its own citizens.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh shit. Thread just got political.

:eek:

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Oh shit. Thread just got political.

:eek:
I've never seen a thread in the Punk forum go off topic this many times (and threads often do)

BrianApocalypse
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I think that might be what he means; Jello uses it occasionally, and a lot of opera singers use it cause apparently it's easier to generate volume.

I used it a couple of times, before my drummer threatened to switch off my mic.

Most singers do it all the time.

Hello.Kitty
09-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I have a big show tomorrow and I'm screwed because I haven't taken care of my voice this week and I'm even talking bad.

I always wear a back pack and in my [Hello Kitty] backpack I have a bottle of honey and Vocal Eze. It doesn't do much but it helps on show days. I used to pound my honey bottles between every song at shows.

And theres nothing wrong with smoking cigarettes. I quit smoking 14 days ago and its been the hardest thing ever but I'm managing. I chew now but ..

PenFighter19
09-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Screamin like that can cause serious problems. The louder you scream, the harder and faster you vocal chords slam together. And youll reach a point where you need surgery to remove the calysts. Clearing your throat and coughing harshly strains your chords also. But who says you need to scream at all? Listen to the Sex Pistols man. Johnny Rotten pretty much keeps his natural voice, but thats probly because he had/has no idea how to sing. But you dont need to try to be Kurt Cobain everytime you hit stage. Actually, I found a way to scream that doesnt tear my voice much at all. I generate my sound from the back roof of my mouth instead of my throat. But to do it you need to know how to use you diaphram for volume. I picked it up while listening to Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains. Rape Me is a good song to practice with.

If you just cant get it try picking up a backing vocal, like Anti-Flag and Sum 41 do. Less screaming, less damage, and you get a second to recoup.

Drink room temperture water, never anything cold. Itll tighten your vocal chords and thats super bad. A lil vodka or bourbon or somethin similar can help loosen your throat. Or you could do like Wes Scantlin (Puddle of Mudd) and smoke 4 packs a day a try to actually sing so it comes out so horse it sounds like screaming.

PenFighter19
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
name me any really good punkband with a singer who sings (Common Rider doesnīt count, as well as Television, which is no real punk band)

Bad Religion, Bad Brains, the Sex Pistols, the Ramones, The Offspring, The Clash

JesusOfSbrbia
09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I agree with all of that, except I wouldn't recommend trying to emulate anything about Puddle of Mudd, ever. :p:

PenFighter19
09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I agree with all of that, except I wouldn't recommend trying to emulate anything about Puddle of Mudd, ever. :p:

Exactly. Frikin Kurt Cabain wannabe sellout. He really does smoke atleast 2 1/2 packs a day JUST to make his voice sound the way it does.

PenFighter19
09-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I have a big show tomorrow and I'm screwed because I haven't taken care of my voice this week and I'm even talking bad.

I always wear a back pack and in my [Hello Kitty] backpack I have a bottle of honey and Vocal Eze. It doesn't do much but it helps on show days. I used to pound my honey bottles between every song at shows.

And theres nothing wrong with smoking cigarettes. I quit smoking 14 days ago and its been the hardest thing ever but I'm managing. I chew now but ..

Actually, my father has an old country style remedy for voice loss that consists of honey, lemon juice, and tabasco sauce. You gotta get the dosage right though and I dont know the measurements.

Hello.Kitty
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Actually, my father has an old country style remedy for voice loss that consists of honey, lemon juice, and tabasco sauce. You gotta get the dosage right though and I dont know the measurements.

Oh please find out.

777Corey
09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
its going to **** stuff up either way, but (a much as i hate to plug a product) that art of screaming dvd /melissa cross stuff actually does help a bit, i did it flr a while and it was good, then i got lazy and it started to hurt a lot again not screaming 'right'

lavazza
09-09-2008, 08:50 AM
The Offspring

lol

the Sex Pistols

singing =/= screeching

Bad Brains

They donīt sing when they make punk.

BrianApocalypse
09-09-2008, 09:43 AM
My voice has actually improved quite a bit recently. I've stopped pushing myself up an octave and I'm getting a lot more power with less effort. It's still pretty horrible though, so fair game.

PenFighter19
09-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh please find out.

It ususually takes little more than one day assuming you talk as little as possible. Ill try to get it for you.

Hello.Kitty
09-09-2008, 05:44 PM
It ususually takes little more than one day assuming you talk as little as possible. Ill try to get it for you.

Cool. I have that big show tonight and I'm in my training all day to recover my lost voice.

Just waking up and starting with a few cups of tea with honey. Then a few jugs of luke warm water with a plastic cup next to me constantly haucking it spit/flem/loogies.

Then at the show constant water.

Mav-16
09-09-2008, 06:21 PM
the only thing you need fer punx rawx is whiskey, cheap beer and a carton of cigarettes....

I actually find apple juice, to make my voice sound better, and milk, to make it sound more RAW and p00Nx

PenFighter19
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
oh, dont hauk loogies, it hurts your chords. mucus doesnt sit in your throat, it coats your vocal chords. So forcing it up like that tears em up. Try this: breathe in through your nose and swallow the air. Thatll work it down your throat.

Hello.Kitty
09-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Really? I've smoked heavily for years until just 2 weeks ago and my whole life or whole smoking life I've been hauking up fat loogies and flem. My nose and my throat is really stuffed right now I can feel like. I drank one cup of tea and now just water the rest of the day until the show where a high amount of beer is to be had.

PenFighter19
09-09-2008, 06:40 PM
just keep giving the audience drinks so they dont care how you sound :cheers:

and really, Ive done that since elementary school and its not effected my voice at all. I was just taught that

Hello.Kitty
09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
PenFighter if you're on AIM message me at RookieOfTehYear