What do the p0nx think of prog-rock?

PDA

View Full Version : What do the p0nx think of prog-rock?

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-05-2008, 06:49 AM
I ask this because a lot of original punk bands despised progressive rock. So, what do modern day punks think, if anything?

Sammy2K7
09-05-2008, 06:52 AM
i dont like it im afraid

AtticusNathy
09-05-2008, 06:55 AM
It pisses me off the fact its just guitar skills and not actually a song that means something. I cant stand it!

yeahyeah
09-05-2008, 06:56 AM
it lacks the rock and the roll

lavazza
09-05-2008, 07:25 AM
whatīs prog rock?
Is it Indie? or Kid Rock? or Pearl Jam?
I like Pearl Jam sometimes, I donīt like Mando Diao and I hate Kid Rock

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
I have mixed feelings. As a generalisation, they early stuff is good, but then goes down hill. By the time you hit the mid 70's it's obviously too pompous.

Jethro Tull are a fantastic band. They're about expertly written songs, the experimentation lies in their genre exploration and choice of instruments, over playing extended experimental crap.

I recommend the Aqualung album (1971) to anyone who is a prog virgin (quite blatantly most of you!) If the punks are going to begin to appreciate anything progressive, it'll be this album, because it has a strong religious theme, child molestation and a rocking title track. Ian Anderson is a madman too, which is a bonus.

King Crimson are a solid band. They don't come close to the Tull, but their earlier stuff at least isn't so undisciplined. 21st Century Schizoid Man is a good song, as is that whole In the Court album. The last decent album is 'Red', which as I recall has some nice guitar work in it, but is a bit lackluster.

Similarly, ELP's first album, 'Tarkus' (1971), is really good, but they quickly lose all self control and become mind numbingly awful.

The entire discography of Yes and Genesis and any associated solo material is godawful. Rick Wakeman demanded that the Sex Pistols thrown off of EMI records. he got his way.

Pink Floyd are really good up until 1968. I know I liked the gilmour stuff for a while, but it's had no lasting effect. The album 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' would influence punk through Bowie and Krautrock, and while it's on the whole a drawn out mindf*ck, it's in an interesting way.

lavazza
09-05-2008, 07:45 AM
^of thatīs prog rock.......I thought of progressive rock as "90s Rock"

I used to liek Jethro Tull when I was younger. I still can appreciate certain songs, for example Locomotive Breath (live versions!) or Acres Wild or The Whistler. I have three of their albums in my CD collection.
What Iīve heard of Yes is ok, but I donīt need them. Pink Floyd are ok, i need to give my fathersī old PF LPs a listen some time.
Iīll count the Dire Straits in now. Sometimes Knopflerīs guitar work is really interesting and the songs are sometimes decent.
Led Zep donīt count, right? But I like them, as well as The Kinks, The Doors and The Who (but they are no prog rock, right?)

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Led Zep could be described as progressive rock.

Technically, the beatles' studio era could be defined as prog, because they were innovating heavily in the studio environment.

I'm not sure about the others.

lavazza
09-05-2008, 07:59 AM
ok then I have to add that I like Led Zeppelin. Against everything you say I think they were somehow inventive, they donīt repeat the very same song over and over again over 40 years (like Deep Purple -> Whitesnake (-> Rainbow)) or started to become really really stupid like Uriah Heep. They played good Rock with not so much speric chorus shit.

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Pfft, there's a difference between being inventive and stealing music from then obscure blues artists. Some of it's alright, but they're so overrated I've heard it all to death.

Led Zeppelin f*cking SUCK.

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-05-2008, 08:08 AM
I like Yes, I know all they did was wank aimlessly, but sometimes it came together and sounded good.
Like Brian said, King Crimson are iffy, but they have a few decent albums.
I haven't heard a lot of Jethro Tull, didn't they use a lot of flutes?
Genesis are meh.
When ELP wanted to sound good they could.
And Gentle Giant are weird.

lavazza
09-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Pfft, there's a difference between being inventive and stealing music from then obscure blues artists. Some of it's alright, but they're so overrated I've heard it all to death.

I for example donīt think that Jimmy Page is such an awesome guitarist, his solos are decent, but heīs no second Hendrix. But they often had nice ideas, though I also have to admit that I donīt know much of the Bluesmen of the tiem before Led Zep.

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Pink Floyd are really good up until 1968. I know I liked the gilmour stuff for a while, but it's had no lasting effect. The album 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' would influence punk through Bowie and Krautrock, and while it's on the whole a drawn out mindf*ck, it's in an interesting way.
It took a long time for Piper to grow on me. I used to think the first three songs were the only good ones, but time has changed that. "Pow R Toc H" still bores the hell out of me, but everything else is great.

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 09:36 AM
There's so much going on in piper, seriously. In terms oif guitar work, it's VASTLY superior to anything Gilmour did, because there's nothing to Gilmour's playing. It's simple, formulaic crap. I can't get over why he's such a popular guitarist.

With later floyd, everything's pushing in the same direction, which is fun, but dumb.

With PATGOD, there's three or four different moods going on at once, it's way more interesting to listen to, even if the hooks aren't there. And it's way more guitar driven.

**** knows how Syd managed to play those guitar parts AND sing lead vocals live. Unfortunately, most of the footage has a light show, so you can't see what's going on.

I know what you mean about not being able to get into music, took me a while to really like the dolls.

lavazza
09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I think Iīll ask my father right now if he has Piper at the gates of dawn

EDIT: He does not know exactly, so Iīll have to dig through a big box of LPs :mad:

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah, you don't want to have to go out and buy it.

Pink Floyd records are extortionately expensive. :livid:

EDIT:

The Poll percentages add up to 101% - shenanigans!

lavazza
09-05-2008, 09:53 AM
why buy it, when it may stand 2 meters away from the door of my room?

meh.....I didnīt find ANY Pink Floyd.......I have to go to the rest the LPs.......I just found an ass full of Mike Oldfield some David Bowie and TomTom Club

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
There's so much going on in piper, seriously. In terms oif guitar work, it's VASTLY superior to anything Gilmour did, because there's nothing to Gilmour's playing. It's simple, formulaic crap. I can't get over why he's such a popular guitarist.

With later floyd, everything's pushing in the same direction, which is fun, but dumb.

With PATGOD, there's three or four different moods going on at once, it's way more interesting to listen to, even if the hooks aren't there. And it's way more guitar driven.

**** knows how Syd managed to play those guitar parts AND sing lead vocals live. Unfortunately, most of the footage has a light show, so you can't see what's going on.

I know what you mean about not being able to get into music, took me a while to really like the dolls.
I'm listening to Bike right now and I just realized Syd was actually a good songwriter. You're right the Syd era is way more exciting. A lot of people complain because it sounds like a bunch of acidheads recording any dumb idea that comes to their heads, but that's the fun :)
101%? p0nx!
EDIT: I got 100% :sad:

Swap-Meet
09-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I consider alot of grunge to be prog rock meats punk, so if you include that, I like it.

DanRev
09-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I love pink floyd, but thats about it.

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm listening to Bike right now and I just realized Syd was actually a good songwriter. You're right the Syd era is way more exciting. A lot of people complain because it sounds like a bunch of acidheads recording any dumb idea that comes to their heads, but that's the fun :)

That's the fun alright! :D

The gnome has good changes, even though the lyrics are totally gay. I mean, not even Metallica sing about gnomes.

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-05-2008, 02:48 PM
^ The first time I heard it, that part where they go "Look at the sky, look at the river, isn't it...good?" freaked me out
Can we change the thread name to HiImKindaNewAnd and BrianApocalypse ramble about PATGOD?

StreetLight3989
09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I really like the Fall of Troy and Coheed and Cambria, but that's about as prog as I get, most of it just bores me.

gopherthegreat
09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, and Rush. I hate new prog rock though, and stuff like Yes (I find their music boring and their sound effects obnoxious)

David_Bowie=GOD
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
It pisses me off the fact its just guitar skills and not actually a song that means something. I cant stand it!

I agree with you on bands like dream theater, thats not true with bands like rush, pink floyd, and genesis. They have great songs and albums that all mean something.

Dream Theater sounds like crazy guitar riffs with nonsense lyrics to me though for the most part.

sargasm
09-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't really like it, but I like bowie's early pre-glam stuff of course.

RizzoWashburn
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
I've never really thought of Floyd as prog.

And I hate new prog. It shouldn't even be called that, it's just the same shit filtered over and over again.

gopherthegreat
09-05-2008, 04:08 PM
And Opeth is always great. Even people who don't like metal like them.
I don't

lounge act
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
I like early Yes, some Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, Rush, and Liquid Tension Experiment. I hate almost all of the newer stuff.

Speaking of PATGOD, Chapter 24 has been stuck in my head all day. It's probably one of my favorites on PATGOD, along with Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk.

EDIT: ^ Me neither

Leonheart
09-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Liars.

prplhazed
09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I like some Aqualung, pretty good album
Mmmm i like "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd a lot better than any of their other albums, but I'l admit i dont have PATGOD

That's about as much prog as iv listened to/own

whyvern
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Prog-rock is ****ing stupid. So is PINK FLOYD. I was on this tour once and everyone started listening to PINK FLOYD in the van and I got super pissed off about because I think they're awful and then half of the van agreed with me but it all worked out cos we put on THE JACK PALANCE BAND and drank another beer as we sped to Pensacola. It was an example of punx taking over the situation. Badass.

Ska Wars
09-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Prog sucks and so does Opeth.

axeslash
09-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I love the **** out of Aqualung but I am not going to put up with the rest of every other band's bullshit.

werty22
09-05-2008, 07:04 PM
He has a good tone. That's really the only reason I like him. His playing itself isn't unique at all.

I wouldn't consider Piper at the Gates of Dawn progressive. It seems more psychedilic to me.

I consider alot of grunge to be prog rock meats punk, so if you include that, I like it.
How is grunge progressive?

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry to ramble about the Floyd's first album again, but wanted to share this.

Have you guys ever heard the stereo version of PATGOD on headphones? It truly is a mindf*ck.

All the tracks that you think blend in seamlessly together don't. The gnome has bits of acoustic everywhere - the bit that goes "And then one day, hooray" comes in really loud on the right. It's really disorientating. And if you've ever listened the turkey noise at the end of "Bike", you'll see where I'm coming from in saying that it makes you want to pass out.

Anyways, Piper aside.

Pink Floyd can quite easily be described as prog, because even the Gilmour stuff had a groundbreaking angle. There's an interview with him in this month's (I forget the name of the mag) and he says that they were an underground band in a way because they were about soundscapes and atmosphere more than songs. They were also, it's worth mentioning, very inventive in the studio. Darkside as you may have read has the first use of synthesiser, and it really set the bar for production. This has backfired in today's world because EVERYTHING has to be perfect and overproduced, to the point that there's no humanism)

And... Pink Floyd aside.

I'm glad some of you guys dig aqualung. I remember when i first mentioned it and everyone was "zomg brian, you fail!". Seriously, even if you don't dig the light rock feel of the hard passages, you can't deny that there's some powerful stuff on it, wind up for instance. It's not often you get that kind of power from contrast in punk, because punk is for the most part maxed out to 0dB.

Like the instructional video to "Loudness War" - when there is no loud, there can be no quiet.

You're absolutely spot on, Rizzo. Most bands that claim to be progressive aren't progressive at all, because they're just rehashing ideas from old progressive music. And that is REgressive.

BrianApocalypse
09-05-2008, 07:26 PM
He has a good tone. That's really the only reason I like him. His playing itself isn't unique at all.

I wouldn't consider Piper at the Gates of Dawn progressive. It seems more psychedilic to me.

How is grunge progressive?

I think that PATGOD fills these criteria quite easily. Although yeah, it's wiki, I would agree with what it says, and I should know, I look into stuff like this full time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

As for grunge, I think that it's talking about groups like Dream Theater which are lumped into that category.

mbbmalcolm
09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I like a few bands that could be considered prog, like Frank Zappa and the Mothers, Captain Beefheart, and the Mars Volta. And several of my favorite post-punk bands had certain prog influences. I think Pink Floyd is sh*t though.

Hello.Kitty
09-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't touch the stuff.

Cameronrobson
09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I like King Crimson, Emmerson Lake & Palmer, Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Mars Volta, Old Pink Floyd and Rush. I like Mastodon and Meshuggah too, some people call them progressive metal.

werty22
09-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I think that PATGOD fills these criteria quite easily. Although yeah, it's wiki, I would agree with what it says, and I should know, I look into stuff like this full time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock
Yeah, I guess so. I probably only thought of them as psychedelic because that's the label Syd Barret's music always gets

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 01:25 AM
I suppose, in a way, psychedelia and progressive are quite connected, because psychedelic music tends to lead to more experimentation.

SuperBlob
09-06-2008, 03:09 AM
Muse - good
Rush - alright
Everything else I've heard - shite

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Now come on, Muse just plain suck.

SuperBlob
09-06-2008, 04:38 AM
I could say the same thing about Jethro Tull :p:

And just as a pre-emptive response - I don't care about the experimentation, I just think they're terrible. Oh, and I have listened to them, one of me friends made me listen to Thick as a Brick *shudder*

lavazza
09-06-2008, 05:30 AM
You post again.......but I agree with Brian on Muse......I dislike all the new stuff Iīve listened to

AtticusNathy
09-06-2008, 06:37 AM

+100000

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Seeing as this is relevant and funny, I thought I'd share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMNWHLPSgBE

On a sadder note, poor Syd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTtXVrANEhU

Cameronrobson
09-06-2008, 11:37 AM
+100000
How is Led Zeppelin prog?

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I always saw them as classic/hard rock

Adam_Harrison9
09-06-2008, 12:05 PM

Let me not be the first to sing this:

I HAAAATE LED ZEPPELIN.

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 12:59 PM

Have you heard some of their later albums?

They actually go beyond putting JRR Tolkein's words to Robert Johnson's riffs and giving themselves all the songwriting credit. :)

As progressive rock goes, they don't really push the boat out, but they undoubtedly went beyond their sh*tty blues rock roots.

werty22
09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Led Zeppelin indeed sucks. I ripped the two-disc "Mothership" compilation to my computer from my sister's friend's CD. Some of the songs are OK, but a lot of them are bad.

One problem with a lot of their music is that the songs are long and slow. Long, slow songs can be good if they're interesting, like some of Pink Floyd's songs. Or like Marquee Moon. :) But LZ's are boring. Take Whole Lotta Love for example. The majority of the song is just one riff. Then in the middle there's just a bunch of noise. Then a tuneless pentatonic solo. Then another riff for a few seconds, then back to the original riff.

Stairway to Heaven is the most overrated song ever. And No Quarter is just awful.

I can understand why someone could consider them progressive, but I don't. Some of their songs are just classic rock. Those are the best, IMO. A lot of them are heavy, psychedelic blues-rock. Most of those are boring, although there are a couple of good ones.

I guess they don't really suck. They're just really, really overrated.

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Led Zeppelin indeed sucks. I ripped the two-disc "Mothership" compilation to my computer from my sister's friend's CD. Some of the songs are OK, but a lot of them are bad.

One problem with a lot of their music is that the songs are long and slow. Long, slow songs can be good if they're interesting, like some of Pink Floyd's songs. Or like Marquee Moon. :) But LZ's are boring. Take Whole Lotta Love for example. The majority of the song is just one riff. Then in the middle there's just a bunch of noise. Then a tuneless pentatonic solo. Then another riff for a few seconds, then back to the original riff.

Stairway to Heaven is the most overrated song ever. And No Quarter is just awful.

I can understand why someone could consider them progressive, but I don't. Some of their songs are just classic rock. Those are the best, IMO. A lot of them are heavy, psychedelic blues-rock. Most of those are boring, although there are a couple of good ones.
Sums up my feelings on Led Zeppelin

TheBusinessOiOi
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Is anyone talking bad about Yes?

If you are, I'll fight you.

blackflag49
09-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes? more like No, amirite.

If krautrock falls under the label of progressive, I like Can and Faust.

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes? more like No, amirite.

U R SO RITE LOL.

Seriously, Yes do actually suck. The same goes for Rush, Genesis and the afforementioned Led Zep.

yeahyeah
09-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I actually like Led Zeppelin. A lot of their songs are long and and over- indulgent but they rock pretty hard on some songs too. I do think that Page is way overrated as a guitarist though. His real talent was as an innovator in the studio.

David_Bowie=GOD
09-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Now come on, Muse just plain suck.

I thought I was the only one that didn't think they were that great.

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Not at all. We should start a club.

lolmnt
09-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I would join that club. I wanted to like Muse but I couldn't.

David_Bowie=GOD
09-06-2008, 05:07 PM

I like Zeppelin, but I agree with you 100% on this, No Quarter is a terrible song, and Stairways solo isn't worth the wait, I dont see why everyone says its so great.

David_Bowie=GOD
09-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Not at all. We should start a club.

why the hell not? do it

gopherthegreat
09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I also dislike Muse.

David_Bowie=GOD
09-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I dont dislike them, but i dont see what all the praise is about, we should really start one haha

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Muse is overrated crap, I'll join

Cameronrobson
09-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I'd like Muse if they had Dick Dale on guitar and had no other members.

blackflag49
09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Rush played on the Colbert Report a little while ago, they didn't seem so bad.

Cameronrobson
09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I like Rush, but 2112 sucked. As soon as I opened the case there was male camel toe staring me in the face.

lavazza
09-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I like Zeppelin, but I agree with you 100% on this, No Quarter is a terrible song, and Stairways solo isn't worth the wait, I dont see why everyone says its so great.

People say the solo is great?
I never heard someones saying that. but I simply liek the intro, listen not so much as play, but yes I like Led Zep.

BrianApocalypse
09-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I have officially had it up to here *indicates neck* with middle ages Led Zeppelin fanboys. And stupid f*cking balding old men playing blues in general.

I was talking to a guy with a '68 NOS Les Paul Sunburst. Not only did the guitar cost him Ģ2500, but apparently he then paid another 4k to have it relic'd! F*cking idiot.

Give me a pickaxe and I'll relic it for free, you dumb old c*nts.

gopherthegreat
09-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Led Zeppelin has some song I really like (Over the Hills and Far Away, Houses of the Holy), and some I hate (Kashmir, Since I've Been Loving You)

werty22
09-07-2008, 01:43 PM
The following Led Zeppelin songs are OK/pretty good:
Good Times Bad Times
Communication Breakdown
Heartbreaker
Immigrant Song
Rock and Roll
Houses of the Holy
Over the Hills and Far Away
Kashmir

I really dislike all the others I've heard.

BrianApocalypse
09-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Good Times Bad Times: Meh.
Communication Breakdown: Good song.
Heartbreaker: meh.
Immigrant Song: really annoying.
Rock and Roll: awesome song.
Houses of the Holy: don't know this album enough to comment.
Over the Hills and Far Away - Teletubbies come to play.
Kashmir - repetitive, plus it sucks.

I also really dislike all the others I've heard.

Cameronrobson
09-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I like Kashmir bucause I always think of the James Bond video game when I hear it.

BrianApocalypse
09-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Goldeneye?

If so, I've got dibs on oddjob!

Prince
09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
prog rock is lame.... especially pink floyd
that music was cool when i was like 11 (pink floyd)

axeslash
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I can say that whatever enjoyment I got out of Led Zeppelin was solely caused (and ended) by my brief Mary-Jane habit

TheBusinessOiOi
09-07-2008, 06:18 PM
punk rock is lame.... especially Johnny Thunders.
That music was cool when I was like 14 (Johhny Nemo)

lavazza
09-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Of course there are boring Led Zeppelin songs, for example basically all of the ballads (are boring to listen to, but to play theyīre ok)......I think Kashmir has a catchy Riff though I agree that itīs repetitve (Locomotive Breath is a one Riff song too, when I remember correctly).
I like the Intro of Dyer Maker for example also Good Times Bad Times and Black Dog or what noone mentioned yet: Trampled underfoot.

EDIT: I forgot to say that Deep Purple fans are far worse than Led Zeppelin fans

CowsWithGuns
09-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Prog rock bores me and I hate most of the fans I've met.

PenFighter19
09-08-2008, 04:10 PM
haha, Johnny Rotten hates Pink Floyd. :)

I like the older stuff. But then again I listen to alot more than punk rock. The new stuff just isnt the same. Having a Progressive guitar tone doesnt make you progressive rock band.
Hendrix, The late Beatles, some Zep, Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, Genesis, Rush, with the erethral sound and blues heavy solos, yeah. Once you hit around Yes and Rush though things start to lose the Prog rock sound. and todays stuff, Coheed, A7X both steal the guitar sound but try to f*ckin copy Sabbath, its annoying. I hate it

mbbmalcolm
09-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Coheed and Cambria and A7X are the worst sounds ever to enter my ears. No joke.

werty22
09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Since when is A7X progressive?

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
PenFighter, are you sure you know what progressive is?

BrianApocalypse
09-09-2008, 06:28 AM
I've been working out Terrapin Station, in its entirety, boy, is it a mindf*ck!

Cameronrobson
09-09-2008, 03:34 PM
i've heard people call Glassjaw prog.

PenFighter19
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
PenFighter, are you sure you know what progressive is?

Progressive Rock - a less melodic form of rock n roll heavily infulenced by classical and jazz music, rather than blues, that reached its peak in the late 1970s and early 80s. Prog. Rock branched out of earlier 70s psychodelic. Often features extended instrumental passages (Queen's Innuendo), references to classical themes (Rush's Tom Sawyer), and instruments uncommon in other forms of rock n roll (The Beatles' Across the Universe). term sometimes used interchangably with art rock.

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Progressive Rock - a less melodic form of rock n roll heavily infulenced by classical and jazz music, rather than blues, that reached its peak in the late 1970s and early 80s. Prog. Rock branched out of earlier 70s psychodelic. Often features extended instrumental passages (Queen's Innuendo), references to classical themes (Rush's Tom Sawyer), and instruments uncommon in other forms of rock n roll (The Beatles' Across the Universe). term sometimes used interchangably with art rock.
:golfclap: noice

BrianApocalypse
09-10-2008, 07:03 AM
^ looks like you got owned there, Hilm!

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-10-2008, 09:10 AM
^ Pretty much

sebbsmith
09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm into all the new stuff like The Fall of Troy, Portugal. The Man and The Mars Volta, but few would call that "real" prog rock.

opivy21
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I like lots of progressive/experimental music, but none of the actual prog rock from the 60s/70s.

PenFighter19
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
:golfclap: noice

grazie

kaptink
09-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I like pink floyd and syds solo stuff but dislike most other prog especially modern prog rock (except maybe the mars volta).

One thing that annoys me about bands like dream theatre is they always do a bit where all the instruments drop out for a mini bass or keyboard solo that is complete wank. It completely ruins any rhythm the song has got going!

Cameronrobson
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I haven't listened to much prog-metal. I like some Opeth songs like Demon of the Fall, but that's just because I like Death Metal.

I've been getting into that sort of experimental-screamo-post-hardcore kind of music. I've been listening to Circle Takes the Square, Glassjaw and the Fall of Troy a lot recently. Plus ATDI is my favourite band and they have a lot of prog influence.

werty22
09-10-2008, 06:41 PM
^ looks like you got owned there, Hilm!
Looks like he just looked at the Wiki page and summarized it. :p:

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Looks like he just looked at the Wiki page and summarized it. :p:
But wiki's the most reliable source in the world, isn't it?

lavazza
09-11-2008, 05:10 AM
But wiki's the most reliable source in the world, isn't it?

I thought that too, then I read the German article about Street Punk :facepalm:

People were saying stuff like: The only modern Street punk bands are Casualties and Toy Dolls

PenFighter19
09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
quick question: whats wikipedia?

Cameronrobson
09-11-2008, 04:48 PM
quick question: whats wikipedia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

PenFighter19
09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
:haha sorry, I have to laugh at the fact that you used a page from the site to show me what it is.
damn. this things got everything from Aerosmith to Zero.

David_Bowie=GOD
09-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Since when is A7X progressive?

Since progressive started to mean shitty music I guess, A7X aren't progressive by the old term. Must've just changed the definition. This means that prog bands like rush and pink floyd arent prog anymore, prog now is Tokio Hotel, Fall Out Boy, Aiden, and A7X

I do like progressive though.

BrianApocalypse
09-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Had to cancel my copy of tarkus, can't find another one now. Grrr, this is infuriating. :livid:

I want to listen to conceptional lyrics about backwards evolution and the military machine over hammond organ w*nkery in 5/4 timing! :peace:

lavazza
09-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Tokio Hotel

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00164/Tokio-Hotel_DW_Kult_164306g.jpg

:haha :haha :haha

There is basically no band in the whole world which is more laughable.......There is a booming tshirt industry here with shirts saying "Kill Bill...................and the rest of this ****ing band" (Bill is their singer)

BrianApocalypse
09-12-2008, 11:40 AM
:haha

Oh my god!

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I want to listen to conceptional lyrics about backwards evolution and the military machine over hammond organ w*nkery in 5/4 timing! :peace:
:haha That's a good way to put it

PenFighter19
09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00164/Tokio-Hotel_DW_Kult_164306g.jpg

:haha :haha :haha

There is basically no band in the whole world which is more laughable.......There is a booming tshirt industry here with shirts saying "Kill Bill...................and the rest of this ****ing band" (Bill is their singer)

FFFAAAAAGGGSS.. That douchebag is wearing more eyeliner than my last five girlfriends combined! gah, I hate it when 12 year olds act like hardcore little f*ckers.

Someone tell me where I can get one of those shirts!

crustyreed
09-12-2008, 06:39 PM
FFFAAAAAGGGSS.. That douchebag is wearing more eyeliner than my last five girlfriends combined! gah, I hate it when 12 year olds act like hardcore little f*ckers.

Someone tell me where I can get one of those shirts!

YEAH BEING GAY IS SO LAME. IT SUCKS, PENIS. GET IT??

sargasm
09-13-2008, 03:22 PM
FFFAAAAAGGGSS.. That douchebag is wearing more eyeliner than my last five girlfriends combined!

Fags and makeup are so unpunx! :rolleyes:

http://blograge.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/2-new-york-dolls-new-york-dolls-album-cover2.jpg
http://www.comcat.com/~beaudk/bandphotos/lwfs3.jpg
http://deadtank.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/mdc_ripper.jpg

BrianApocalypse
09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Makeup only ever looks good on grown up, manly looking men.

Seriously, it looks terrible on women and adolescents.

Cameronrobson
09-14-2008, 04:44 PM
http://deadtank.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/mdc_ripper.jpg
lol