I'm Gonna See World/Inferno Live...

PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gonna See World/Inferno Live...

Greenfinger182
09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
...so we need a fucking thread on them. Any fans around the forum? I've been waiting around three years for them to stop back in Pittsburgh after their tour with LoC. Can't wait.

Speaking of their shows, anyone want to meet up for Hallowmass? I'm definitely there this year.

lavazza
09-06-2008, 10:27 AM
What Iīve heard of World Inferno isnīt so much mine, though they were on tour with the Subhumans

StreetLight3989
09-06-2008, 10:55 AM
...so we need a fucking thread on them. Any fans around the forum? I've been waiting around three years for them to stop back in Pittsburgh after their tour with LoC. Can't wait.

Speaking of their shows, anyone want to meet up for Hallowmass? I'm definitely there this year.
Is Hallowmass in Brooklyn again this year? I would go, but I'm not 21 so I probably can't get in. Also about the Subhumans tour Lavazza, I saw them with Subhumans, it was awesome.

Greenfinger182
09-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Is Hallowmass in Brooklyn again this year? I would go, but I'm not 21 so I probably can't get in. Also about the Subhumans tour Lavazza, I saw them with Subhumans, it was awesome.
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, W/IFS always tries to make their shows all ages. This place they're playing at here, called Bellvedere's, is ALWAYS 21+, but for this show they're all ages. I figured Terricloth used his charm to make it all ages.

And World/Inferno is the centerpiece of Hallowmas, if they say it's all ages it'll probably be all ages.

And yeah, it's still in Brooklyn. Closer to it I'm sure you'll find out if it's all ages or not.

And if it is I will see you there.

StreetLight3989
09-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, W/IFS always tries to make their shows all ages. This place they're playing at here, called Bellvedere's, is ALWAYS 21+, but for this show they're all ages. I figured Terricloth used his charm to make it all ages.

And World/Inferno is the centerpiece of Hallowmas, if they say it's all ages it'll probably be all ages.

And yeah, it's still in Brooklyn. Closer to it I'm sure you'll find out if it's all ages or not.

And if it is I will see you there.
I'll definitely go if it's all ages, I just remember last year my friend went and it was 21+ or something like that, she still got in somehow even though she was 14, but I think she said it was 21+. I might be mistaken. Yeah, there's this one bar here that is usually 21+, but they played a show at like 2pm once for all ages and then later 21+, so hopefully Hallowmas is all ages. I'll see you there if I go.

lolmnt
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, I don't hate them.

In fact, I enjoy them a lot.

PurpleFloyd
09-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I'll definitely go if it's all ages, I just remember last year my friend went and it was 21+ or something like that, she still got in somehow even though she was 14, but I think she said it was 21+. I might be mistaken. Yeah, there's this one bar here that is usually 21+, but they played a show at like 2pm once for all ages and then later 21+, so hopefully Hallowmas is all ages. I'll see you there if I go.

Well... at the troc, which is where I go to see all my shows, general admission is all ages. But there's a balcony for only 21+ for people to drink. Maybe it's like that, I don't know.
But I've seen World Inferno once with LoC, and it was a great show, a lot of fun. Their music is great and they really get the crowd into it. You'll have a lot of fun

mike2
09-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I like the live act way more than the recordings...they got an amazing front man too, the people that show up to see them dress up crazy too. I saw them with subhumans, and they were a great live...the album I got is okay...

the glue man
09-06-2008, 06:21 PM
I saw them with the Subhumans too, WIFS was better than them I think. They were awesome live.

StreetLight3989
09-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I saw them with the Subhumans too, WIFS was better than them I think. They were awesome live.
Yeah, that I think I like World Inferno better than Subhumans live too. It was tons of fun, their live show is just awesome.

lavazza
09-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah, that I think I like World Inferno better than Subhumans live too. It was tons of fun, their live show is just awesome.

You both know what I want to say now, eh?

whyvern
09-07-2008, 09:55 AM
WORLD INFERNO suck, SUBHUMANS rule.

Honestly I never got this band and why so many people like them.

RockThe40oz
09-07-2008, 10:57 AM
WORLD INFERNO suck, SUBHUMANS rule.

Honestly I never got this band and why so many people like them.

I like about 1/3 of WIFS songs, but how anybody could ever say they were better than subhumans in any fashion is absolutely ridiculous and an act of treason against the punk scene.

Greenfinger182
09-07-2008, 03:03 PM
You both know what I want to say now, eh?
I'm not on this forum too often, and even I knew that was coming.

axeslash
09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Another piece of shit band that avoids the West Coast.

Sorry about that.

Living in Outofthe****ingwaysville has made me bitter after only getting to see like one concert a year.

Greenfinger182
09-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Where do you live?

axeslash
09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Where do you live?The closest thing to civilization to me is Oregon State University and the closest center of punkdom is Portland.

EDIT: Whyvern is a jerk and I can't stand his taste in music.

Prince
09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
haven't you all grown out of leftover crack yet?

axeslash
09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
This thread has become a Lightning Rod for things that anger me.

Prince
09-07-2008, 03:41 PM
This thread has become a Lightning Rod for things that anger me.

maybe you should get a life and not get so bent out of shape over the internet?

whyvern
09-07-2008, 03:55 PM
The closest thing to civilization to me is Oregon State University and the closest center of punkdom is Portland.

EDIT: Whyvern is a jerk and I can't stand his taste in music.

Why cos I don't like a band that is more about the asthetic than the actual music? I prefer to see a band sing about things that matter or at least just rock out without looking like arrogant hipsters. WIFS won't play in yer basement but ADD/C has played in mine and they'll play in yers. I got into punk rock because it's so genuine and raw and straight to the point. I don't think there should be a separation between the audience and the band by any means. Just because you play in a punk rock band doesn't make you better than me. The great thing about punk is that we all have something to contribute and even if you don't play music you can be more than a "fan". I hate "fans", I don't have any... I have friends, and there are people that are my equals that happen to like what I'm doing but just because they do doesn't mean that I'm on some kind of separate plane from everyone else.

Which is exactly one of my problems with WIFS... it's all about the asthetic and how it looks. It doesn't feel like something real and raw to me. It just feels rehearsed. I don't get the same rush I get when I hear QUEER WULF or BLOTTO. I hate bands that rehearse so much that it takes the spontaneity of the live show. That's why I could care less if I ever see MISCHIEF BREW or KING KHAN AND THE SHRINES again.

But honestly, it doesn't matter what you think of me, because I don't know you, I never have to know you if I don't want to. I don't even live on the same continent as you! I just thought you should understand where I'm coming from. If you don't like my taste in music, I couldn't give two shits because it's MY taste in music, not yours.

But hey ya know, have fun not going to shows ever cos ya don't wanna make yer town awesome. Yer town doesn't just automatically become awesome, I lived in a shit town in the middle of nowhere Alabama for 18 years and me and my friends made it awesome cos we had to and we believed in punk and punk saved us from being stupid redneck kids that beat their wives.

edit: I'm not implying that we were the only factors that made our town awesome... there was actually a long history of punk rock in our town, but it could have been irrelevant to us, and as a matter of fact it was for a while. We made our own community, brought bands to play in town and when we got older we came to the realization that it was part of a continuum of punk rock and resistance in our town. Of course there are instances of people making scenes in their towns and making them thrive. Blairsville, GA is a great example of this.

Greenfinger182
09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Punk is so broad these days, I think you're over-analyzing it a bit. WIFS puts on an incredible live show and their singer's spontaneity (which seems to be a big factor for you) is enough to really get a crowd going, despite any lack of 'rawness' in their music (in all honesty, their strange brand of 'circus' punk seems to give their shows a bizarre enough feel).

Although I'm not a big fan of the places they pick to play. It seems to have a strange habit of getting pricey, and I'd really rather see them in a basement like some other bands do on a nightly basis. It's true their aesthetic has perhaps placed them above such shows, but I wouldn't doubt their ability to completely rule a small, cramped basement.

Speaking of pricey tickets, here's a message I got from some chick I know who's also a fan, about 10 monutes ago: "hallowmas, october 31 at 8pm. tickets are 20 with a 4 service charge, lame. apparently the venue kicks ass though, some masonic temple in nyc."

So to streetlight, I'd assume it is all ages. Still, those prices...

You remember that one time Ian Mackaye forfeited Minor Threat's share of money at a show in order to drop the ticket price down 50 cents?

Zero Substance
09-07-2008, 07:17 PM
world inferno played the dingy basement of a small media cafe here in dc earlier this year. i was not able to attend unfortunately cause of work. it wasn't expensive, either. the show cost something like 7 bucks.

crustyreed
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I saw them with the aquabats and that shitty english ska-rap band we all love to hate on. they played before either of them and i was blown away, mad fun and great tunes.

and this show 20 bucks for a ****ing masonic temple???!
i'd be all over that.

axeslash
09-07-2008, 07:39 PM
But hey ya know, have fun not going to shows ever cos ya don't wanna make yer town awesome. Yer town doesn't just automatically become awesome, I lived in a shit town in the middle of nowhere Alabama for 18 years and me and my friends made it awesome cos we had to and we believed in punk and punk saved us from being stupid redneck kids that beat their wives.

edit: I'm not implying that we were the only factors that made our town awesome... there was actually a long history of punk rock in our town, but it could have been irrelevant to us, and as a matter of fact it was for a while. We made our own community, brought bands to play in town and when we got older we came to the realization that it was part of a continuum of punk rock and resistance in our town. Of course there are instances of people making scenes in their towns and making them thrive. Blairsville, GA is a great example of this.Yes, because the reason my town doesn't have awesome shows is only because we're lazy. Not because there's only 4 punks in the whole damn town and this place is a ****ing cesspool of Oregon methhead culture.

yeahyeah
09-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I must confess that I don't really like what I've heard. Maybe they would be sweet to see though

axeslash
09-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I read the band's origin thing. I feel like they owe me.

EDIT: God damn their frontman is a ****ing hipster like on one's business.

crustyreed
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM
so i just went to read the bands origin thing and went **** this.
went to shows

they are playing 15 minutes away from me in a couple weeks. me thinks i go.

Greenfinger182
09-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Are you talking about the short story written under their history? Yeah, their lead singer supposedly writes short stories in his spare time and has deemed himself qualified to turn their relatively brief existence into what I presume is a very broad interpretation of a not-so-incredibly interesting tale.

You're only 15 minutes from Illinois? No wonder you have a decent taste in music. Punk bands started being sort of rare around here after Aus-Rotten broke up, and then almost completely disappeared after Anti-Flag did...whatever they did.

crustyreed
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
You're only 15 minutes from Illinois? No wonder you have a decent taste in music. Punk bands started being sort of rare around here after Aus-Rotten broke up, and then almost completely disappeared after Anti-Flag did...whatever they did.

mang pittsburg????? shit is raging there!

check out BEHIND ENEMY LINES thats the guys from AR,
pyramid scheme, caustic christ, auryn, from the depths,
there is an awesome DIY space there named THE MR ROBOTO project you should check out.

just gotta know where to look!

Zero Substance
09-07-2008, 11:30 PM
yeah, pittsburgh is sick. definitely check out auryn. i saw them back in december and they were incredible.

Greenfinger182
09-07-2008, 11:33 PM
How often have you been here? Haha, I'm always in the more urban areas (university is in the city), and although you'll see the occasional flier or hear about a show, it's really not as often as you may think.

AR > BEL. Both are good, but I have a small love affair going on with the former.

crustyreed
09-07-2008, 11:55 PM
How often have you been here? Haha, I'm always in the more urban areas (university is in the city), and although you'll see the occasional flier or hear about a show, it's really not as often as you may think.

AR > BEL. Both are good, but I have a small love affair going on with the former.

never been there.

And don't worry I have all AR except the Anti imperialist 7'

whyvern
09-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Yes, because the reason my town doesn't have awesome shows is only because we're lazy. Not because there's only 4 punks in the whole damn town and this place is a ****ing cesspool of Oregon methhead culture.

4 people is enough to start a band. Just play the music and eventually people will catch on. What a better place to change than a place that doesn't have punk rock allready? That's what the kids in Cullman, AL did... and in Cullman there is a sign that says "Don't let the sun set on your black ass in Cullman." I don't think it gets more meathead than that but they were able to get shows going. You don't need alot of punks to have shows just make it a party and people will eventually get interested. Plus if you live in a small town nothing else is going on anyways so why not make it punkrock?

lavazza
09-08-2008, 08:13 AM
4 people is enough to start a band.

You were really lucky, I appreciate waht you did, though it had alot to do with luck. I have some friends who roughly share my taste in music. We started a band, some people liked us and that we are the first band for years who plays stuff with lyrics lots of people cannot agree with. But itīs not that any of these friends gets his ass up and starts to think completely DIY. One member in our band started becoming more and more unpoliticaly and without any real ideals, thatīs shit, but heīs a friend.
Itīs really hard to find people who go the same direction as you over years.

We have someone who organizes hardcore shows here, unfortunately heīs a real elitist, so he does not support the local scene, he just sets up shows with bands from far away. The people who like your music are often not those who can afford to organise concerts or who have a basement to play.

whyvern
09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
^ also if that doesn't work, folk punk is a viable option. I mean doing it by yerself is cool but I like working with someone else. My band NESTOR MAKHNO was only two people and for the first two years we played to the same 10 people all the time, but soon our scene became bigger and bigger and we started to find more allies. It's part luck but it's also not getting frustrated so easily. There were times when I wanted to just quit, give up and move to San Francisco because MRR showed me how easy it was to be a punk there. Later, I'd want to give up and move to Chattanooga when I'd get frustrated with the lack of interest or understanding of how my friends and I understood punk rock, especially when more younger kids or people my age just didn't want to get it. But I stuck with it, until I got a free chance to move to Europe... which is an entirely different circumstance, ya know? I'd be a moron for not taking that up, no matter how loyal I am to building a meaningful community in some piece of shit town. I think perseverance is just as important as the luck aspect because if ya do something long enough some luck or notoriety will come yer way.

As far as organizing shows and you can't afford a space to do them at, I think it makes for a great way to reclaim public space. Generator shows the world over particularly the GEEKFEST and generator shows that SHOTWELL and THE FUNYUNS did were big influences to us when we were younger cos there was no way in hell we could afford to rent out a building (or even find a building that would rent out to us) so we'd have shows in public places, parks wherever we could plug up a chord. We also were lucky as a band because we both volunteered at this volunteer community supported alternative library that was an extension of the art center, and when they started to run out of money, they let us put on shows to help make the rent and this was a big boost for the Huntsville scene and for us getting more organized in punk. All kinds of people played there; AL BAKER, ANS, COMMON ENEMY, IFIHADAHIFI, THE DANDELION JUNK QUEENS, and of course all the local bands could play. We also put on DJ nights where our friends and us played records, we promoted these in the high schools and more people came to them cos there was no where else to go in our shit town and they learned about this cool awesome DIY punk rock music.

Of course all of this happened in the course of 3 years and we really lost momentum in the fall of 2006 with the loss of that community library. But I've remained involved and alot of people were exposed to punk because of what we did. Some stayed, some got into shitty new-school hardcore and others went on to college and are bros now. Am I mad that not all of them didn't stick around? Hell no, being a punk is your decision but it's totally awesome to see some folks start to grow up in the punk community in Huntsville and we all try our hardest to make our lives more exciting in our shitty little town in ****in' Alabama.

Can it happen anywhere? I don't know, but if kids in Khatmandu, Nepal and Beijing can rock the **** out I think we can do it pretty much anywhere in the US and Europe. And knowing that kids rock the **** out there should be pretty inspiring for us in the more developed world, because if you can do it with so few resources there I should be able to do it here...

I mean isn't that what everyone got when they first saw THE RAMONES??? "Well, shit even I could do that"

lavazza
09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
As far as organizing shows and you can't afford a space to do them at, I think it makes for a great way to reclaim public space. Generator shows the world over particularly the GEEKFEST and generator shows that SHOTWELL and THE FUNYUNS did were big influences to us when we were younger cos there was no way in hell we could afford to rent out a building (or even find a building that would rent out to us) so we'd have shows in public places, parks wherever we could plug up a chord. We also were lucky as a band because we both volunteered at this volunteer community supported alternative library that was an extension of the art center, and when they started to run out of money, they let us put on shows to help make the rent and this was a big boost for the Huntsville scene and for us getting more organized in punk. All kinds of people played there; AL BAKER, ANS, COMMON ENEMY, IFIHADAHIFI, THE DANDELION JUNK QUEENS, and of course all the local bands could play. We also put on DJ nights where our friends and us played records, we promoted these in the high schools and more people came to them cos there was no where else to go in our shit town and they learned about this cool awesome DIY punk rock music.

Playing in parks is something you can maybe do when you just need a cajon and an acoustic guitar, but when you need an amp and a drummset itīs a bit differently, I donīt know how it is in Oregon, but here the police and habitants would come to the palce immediately and make you shut up (though itīs a nice idea, I should think about it). I just roughly know Alabamaīs climate, but I think itīs rather dry whereas Oregon is one of the states with the most rain (If I can rely on the Simpsons) what makes it harder to plan something outside.
I donīt say itīs important to build up a punks scene, but when I put in a Crass record here, people look at me and tell me to put that down.

whyvern
09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
It rains alot in Alabama but not as much as Oregon but Alabama's waaaay hotter... It's like 41c in the summers in Alabama but if you have shows at night downtown where there's not alot of people around it's tolerable and we were able to get away with it.

With drums and amps generator shows are always a great option. GEEKFEST is a great example of being able to put on a huge generator show with a bunch of bands and it's completely illegal. It's not that hard to get ahold of a generator just the basic one should run ya 20 bucks from a rental place and then you can have a show ANYWHERE!

It is key though to make sure that there's not alot of people around and that the show is kind of seculuded to keep cops away.... One option to do is have a phone number that anyone could call on the flyer instead of the location.... kinda rave style.

I'm not sure if generator shows could work in Europe. From what I've seen in towns the only places I could think to do them would be the industrial parts of town which are pretty much abandoned at night. All the stupid techno clubs are there anyways and they won't give a **** if a buncha punks are rockin' out. Also I suppose you could do it in the woods but it's far from the town. I'd like to try it here in Rome cos I'm certain that there's gotta be some great places for them and a surplus of abandoned buildings cos Italy is in a recession and all.

lavazza
09-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure if generator shows could work in Europe. From what I've seen in towns the only places I could think to do them would be the industrial parts of town which are pretty much abandoned at night. All the stupid techno clubs are there anyways and they won't give a **** if a buncha punks are rockin' out. Also I suppose you could do it in the woods but it's far from the town. I'd like to try it here in Rome cos I'm certain that there's gotta be some great places for them and a surplus of abandoned buildings cos Italy is in a recession and all.

In industrial parts it would probably work.......since Iīll move to Ruhr area I have to look for it soon. Though Iīd never play in a wood, because Iīm such a kind of Hippie who thinks that sleeping animaly might dislike electric guitars.
What Iīve seen in Rome it might work, there are lots of dumb places in the suburbs.

axeslash
09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
In Oregon if you play music loud enough for someone else to hear you it seems like the cops get called. We had a venue once, but it got shut down. And I don't think I've mentioned how dirt poor I am. Like, the whole me not having a job and trying to go to college thing.

StreetLight3989
09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
^ also if that doesn't work, folk punk is a viable option. I mean doing it by yerself is cool but I like working with someone else. My band NESTOR MAKHNO was only two people and for the first two years we played to the same 10 people all the time, but soon our scene became bigger and bigger and we started to find more allies. It's part luck but it's also not getting frustrated so easily. There were times when I wanted to just quit, give up and move to San Francisco because MRR showed me how easy it was to be a punk there. Later, I'd want to give up and move to Chattanooga when I'd get frustrated with the lack of interest or understanding of how my friends and I understood punk rock, especially when more younger kids or people my age just didn't want to get it. But I stuck with it, until I got a free chance to move to Europe... which is an entirely different circumstance, ya know? I'd be a moron for not taking that up, no matter how loyal I am to building a meaningful community in some piece of shit town. I think perseverance is just as important as the luck aspect because if ya do something long enough some luck or notoriety will come yer way.

Of course all of this happened in the course of 3 years and we really lost momentum in the fall of 2006 with the loss of that community library. But I've remained involved and alot of people were exposed to punk because of what we did. Some stayed, some got into shitty new-school hardcore and others went on to college and are bros now. Am I mad that not all of them didn't stick around? Hell no, being a punk is your decision but it's totally awesome to see some folks start to grow up in the punk community in Huntsville and we all try our hardest to make our lives more exciting in our shitty little town in ****in' Alabama.

Can it happen anywhere? I don't know, but if kids in Khatmandu, Nepal and Beijing can rock the **** out I think we can do it pretty much anywhere in the US and Europe. And knowing that kids rock the **** out there should be pretty inspiring for us in the more developed world, because if you can do it with so few resources there I should be able to do it here...

I mean isn't that what everyone got when they first saw THE RAMONES??? "Well, shit even I could do that"
I really wish that could work in my town, but I don't think it can. I mean I have New Brunswick, but that's like 25 minutes away and I have no transportation so that's usually not an option. Being 15 in the suburbs means that you can't go anywhere, I don't think I could pull something off, at least until I get my license in a year or so. My town is just way spread out, too many huge highway intersections for bikes and it's just impossible to get around. There's also really no where we could have a venue without getting caught by the cops or something. I mean people's houses aren't an option because it's the suburbs and everyone lives with their parents and if you do anything noisy after 9 pm the cops will break it up. I really want to get a scene started here, but I don't think it can be done.