who likes stiff little fingers?

PDA

View Full Version : who likes stiff little fingers?

shred_it_up94
09-08-2008, 10:30 PM
ok, so i really like stiff little fingers. theyre amazing. and it seems like none of my friends know who they are. wats up with that? does anyone else think stiff little fingers should get some recognition?

Iluvpowerchords
09-08-2008, 10:32 PM
My cousin saw them last year.

I still can't look him in the eye.

I wish he knew how much I liked them beforehand.

Hello.Kitty
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
They are awesome.

RockThe40oz
09-08-2008, 10:43 PM
ooo ooo. I do! I do!

anarkee
09-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I love Stiff Little Fingers and Ali McMordie. They're one of those bands who I have stuck with throughout their career.

Ska Wars
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
They seem like a band you "have" to like. But I honestly can't see myself ever listening to them again. Pretty boring, actually.

BrianApocalypse
09-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Their greatest hits album is great. And they're good live.

The studio stuff isn't as fun though, y'now.

And they completely over-arselick the clash.

And their frontman, Paddy O' Raugherty, wears glasses. NEEEERD¬!

RockThe40oz
09-09-2008, 06:52 AM
They seem like a band you "have" to like. But I honestly can't see myself ever listening to them again. Pretty boring, actually.

Inflammable Materials > you :mad:

TheCrowing2113
09-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I like them :) They play round here like every October/November, gonna see them for the 2nd time this year :)

whyvern
09-09-2008, 07:44 AM
they're awesome. I almost saw them in Boston once but I didn't want my image of an awesome punk band to be ruined by DROPKICK MURPHY'S shit head jock ass fans.

lavazza
09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
And they completely over-arselick the clash.

It had to come :D

On my version of Inflamable Material the last 15 minutes are an interview with Jake Burns. He says that they used to be a pub rock/hard rock band like Lynyrd Skynyrd, they just couldnßt play their instruments so well. When Never mind the bollocks came out (I think) their bassist put the tape in and Burns and him immediately thought they wanted to make similar music, the rest wasn´t convinced, but when they listened to The Clash´s self titled they had their idols.
I like them, but Brian is right in one way: the live version of Alternative Ulster is much better. My favourite songs are probably Wasted Life, Suspect Device, Fly the Flag, Bloody Sunday and Law and Order

Greenfinger182
09-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Did anyone ever see High Fidelity? They're all like "Yeah, the Stiff Little Fingers sound just like Green Day." I wanted to stab someone.

And whoever mentioned Inflammable Materials, holy shit do I love that album.

lavazza
09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
I´ve seen that movie, but it was in the time before I knew what Punk is

Greenfinger182
09-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Lucky you. The movie was pretty decent but that shit ruined it for me.

lavazza
09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I think John Cusack movies always have something, the romatic shit films he makes are shit, he just nearly always plays a sympathic character

neidnarb11890
09-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Stiff Little Fingers are great. Inflammable Material is amazing, and Go For It (being the only other SLF album I own) is also good.

Did anyone ever see High Fidelity? They're all like "Yeah, the Stiff Little Fingers sound just like Green Day." I wanted to stab someone.

I thought it was awesome that SLF was mentioned/played in that movie. Also, (if my memory is correct), the guy says SLF was one of Green Day's influences, not that they sound just like Green Day.

I've only seen like 10 minutes of that movie when it was on VH1 that night, it just happened to be at that exact part. Weird, rite?

Greenfinger182
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I thought it was awesome that SLF was mentioned/played in that movie. Also, (if my memory is correct), the guy says SLF was one of Green Day's influences, not that they sound just like Green Day.
Yeah, he does, but then one chick in the background asks "Is this the new Green Day?", which implies that they have very similar sounds.

whyvern
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
^ They do though. And GREEN DAY is awesome. Also when that movie was made they hadn't made 'American Idiot' or even 'Warning' yet so they still had some cred in my book. 'Dookie' is such a ****ing amazing album.

Yeah, I said it.

original=punk
09-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I just got Dookie at a thrift store. it rox.

And I've honestly never listened to this band.

werty22
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I like Alternative Ulster. SLF seems pretty average though.

Hello.Kitty
09-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Dookie on cassette was the first piece of music I bought with my own money when I was a wee lad. I would never praise Green Day. But for some reason always find myself in debates with people who bash them.

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
I just got Dookie at a thrift store. it rox.

And I've honestly never listened to this band.
grn day r sooo undrgrnd! it rlz noone lstns 2 thm!

Mav-16
09-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah you guys forgot about how Stiff Little fingers are named after a Vibrators song didn't you???

Greenfinger182
09-09-2008, 07:20 PM
^ They do though. And GREEN DAY is awesome. Also when that movie was made they hadn't made 'American Idiot' or even 'Warning' yet so they still had some cred in my book. 'Dookie' is such a ****ing amazing album.

Yeah, I said it.
I'm not in this thread to bash Green Day, I'm here because I still think if you compare Inflammable Material to Dookie they do not sound the same.

Ska Wars
09-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Dookie sounds a lot better.

IlikeTheSKA
09-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I have 5 albums.

All original pressings.

mike2
09-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Yeah, Dookie sounds a lot better.

what the ****? what the ****?....what the ****?

whyvern
09-10-2008, 02:37 AM
I'm not in this thread to bash Green Day, I'm here because I still think if you compare Inflammable Material to Dookie they do not sound the same.

I think they do in terms of the song writing and drumming styles. It's pretty easy to say that THE BUZZCOCKS and STIFF LITTLE FINGERS were a huge influence on CRIMPSHRINE who were a huge influence on GREEN DAY. HÜSKER DÜ was probably the bigger influence on both though for real. But if you listen to 'Dookie' with a critical ear you can hear alot of similarities to STIFF LITTLE FINGERS. Of course the vocal styles are completely different and that's how most people judge bands, but there's more to it than that.

lavazza
09-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Dookie was one of my first punk albums, but I go on thinking that you grow out of them. They´re are a perfect example for decent music which could be in the soundtrack of Road Trip or American Pie.
Whatever the productions of Dookie and Inflamable Material are really different the guitars (probably both play the same PC or Barrés) sound totally differently. But when somebody mentions this, Basket Case can be a perfect rip off of Wasted Life.

JohnnyBlunders
09-11-2008, 11:13 PM
I love Stiff Little Fingers. But I seem to be the one person in the entire world whos favorite song by them is Rough Trade.

bman10030
09-20-2008, 10:23 PM

ahh, john cusack is my hero.

Idk, I really think they remind me of green day except actually punk, idk why.

bman10030
09-20-2008, 10:25 PM
CORRECTION MASSIVE CORRECTION

When Green day was on Lookout! in 1989-1994 I wanna say?

I don't remember the exact years.

Ahh, those were the days, being obsessed with green day, before knowing anything about punk.

but I listen to more than punk, I wouldn't really consider myself one at all.

JohnnyBlunders
09-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Stop double posting

bman10030
09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I think they do in terms of the song writing and drumming styles. It's pretty easy to say that THE BUZZCOCKS and STIFF LITTLE FINGERS were a huge influence on CRIMPSHRINE who were a huge influence on GREEN DAY. HÜSKER DÜ was probably the bigger influence on both though for real. But if you listen to 'Dookie' with a critical ear you can hear alot of similarities to STIFF LITTLE FINGERS. Of course the vocal styles are completely different and that's how most people judge bands, but there's more to it than that.
THANK YOU.

But I don't think dookie sounds like it... Maybe kerplunk or those first eps/lp/compilation song thing.

JohnnyBlunders
09-20-2008, 10:30 PM
I dont think they do. But I suppose I cant argue it

bman10030
09-20-2008, 10:38 PM

Yeah, I said it.

dookie was actually good, but it ISN'T PUNK at all. It's just....music....

But like, green day were posers, even in their initial years, 1987-94 or whenever, they were not punk, but leaving the "gilman street" or w/e for a major label is the most ****ing dicksuck **** licker move, and then "billie joe", which isn't his real name, going BACK to the gilman with "pinhead gunpowder" this year, leaves me wondering, wouldn't their base that they left behind want to shoot him or beat the living shit out of him? seriously, what an asshole. He is seriously a hypocritical egotistical greedy choad, he should go die. And what is with that shitty eyeliner? God, someone should give him two black eyes so he can save money.

Warning was also a good album, wow, NOT PUNK, just rock/soft-rock I guess, pretty melodic songs IMO. Still not punk, but do I have to right to find any of the pre-American Idiot era music good or had once found it good? I'm not considering it punk at all, but I don't see why you aren't allowed to like it. Of course I can still hate them as people, but as musicians in the former years?

I actually kinda am bored of all their music now though, because of my obsession period. Their old music will forever be engraved in my brain.

bman10030
09-20-2008, 10:40 PM
I dont think they do. But I suppose I cant argue it
I suck at explaining myself, so it's hard to argue it myself.

But wow, listening to stiff little fingers, green day ripped them off SOOO badly.

werty22
09-20-2008, 11:10 PM
^Learn to edit posts. And what do you mean when you say Billie Joe Armstrong isn't his real name?

JohnnyBlunders
09-20-2008, 11:23 PM
it is his real name. And they dont sound like them.

lavazza
09-21-2008, 07:07 AM
I think I´ll find myself defending Green Day soon......I´m ashamed

bman10030
09-21-2008, 11:58 AM
^Learn to edit posts. And what do you mean when you say Billie Joe Armstrong isn't his real name?
sorry buddy, I'm new to the forum, thanks for telling me though.

'I'll hit the edit button from now on.

and you can just tell, he calls himself that just to sound all cool.

people like redneck names better than like "kenny" or "jeff"

JohnnyBlunders
09-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Whoa, what do we have here, a Baldwin brother?

werty22
09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Billie Joe is his birthname. His mother was on painkillers or something when she named him.

mike2
09-21-2008, 04:52 PM
well, i only own immflammable material...so, i guess I can't say for sure if they sound at all alike...but from immflammable material, an album which I love...I have never once listened to green day and said "wow, they sound just like stiff little fingers!" cause they don't, thye don't sound simillar lyrically, vocally or musically.

just because stiff little fingers was an inspiration of green days and someone in a john cusak movie said they sound simillar, doens't mean it's true!

greenday2003
09-21-2008, 07:14 PM
wow this thread kinda turned into a slf/greenday comparision thread....
Slf are f'cking awesome and so are greenday, Slf main influence is the clash-they wrote a track bout strummer-ie-strummervile, alternative ulster- is a track that will never and should never be forgotten...

Jack burns solo stuff is pretty cool aswell....Did anyone get 'the roaring boys' track he added to the slf comp-originally for his solo album-One of the best from the new stuff, Guitar and drum-Was decent enough, but inflammable material is deemed as there classic and is!!!

Iv seen them once and recently they supported iggy, i was working and had to do with hearing them from afar-Still was cool-got to hear alternative ulster :D

werty22
09-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I've only heard a few SLF songs, but I never noticed any similarity between them and Green Day.

mike2
09-21-2008, 11:58 PM
you guys need your ****ing ears checked...i swear...I remember watching high fidelity before I listened to stiff little fingers and thinking when he played suspect device "wow, that sounds nothing like greenday"

edit: oh you said never werty...oops...yeah...

domaraq
09-22-2008, 08:43 AM
ugh i don't like them that much
i get them when i play sometimes

BrianApocalypse
09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
I listened to the first track on 'insomniac' yesterday. :)

bman10030
09-26-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't know I can totally tell a similarity.

I'm not saying they sound EXACTLY THE SAME.

But I don't know, it's probably because I went through that stage where you listen to shitty "punk" like Green Day and Blink 182, and in particular I knew like EVERYTHING about Green Day.

By the "stage", I mean sort of like this. http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/1/

damn-right!
03-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Stiff little fingers were the first band that I listened to that really really excited me. A friend lent me nobodys heroes and I was just obsessed. I've seen them more times now than I've had hot meals and I got to do an interview with Jake Burns for my website last year. As far as I'm concerned they can do no wrong. :D

famefornothing
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
they're awesome. I almost saw them in Boston once but I didn't want my image of an awesome punk band to be ruined by DROPKICK MURPHY'S **** head jock ass fans.
you're an idiot

werty22
03-27-2009, 07:23 PM
you're an idiot
no u

antianti99
03-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Stiff little fingers were the first band that I listened to that really really excited me. A friend lent me nobodys heroes and I was just obsessed. I've seen them more times now than I've had hot meals and I got to do an interview with Jake Burns for my website last year. As far as I'm concerned they can do no wrong. :D
I checked out the interview, pretty cool. That must have been awesome to interview him , was it actually in person or by e-mail ?

tinyterror
03-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Anyone who likes Punk should hear "Inflammable Material", their first record.
Brilliant. I think its as good as The Clash's first album.
I'd also toss in The Saints first record as superb, and must-listen for anyone who likes Punk Rock in any way, shape, or form.

kayaress one
03-28-2009, 01:40 AM
I hear no Green Day-influencing sound whatsoever on Inflammable Material.

...Am I mentally deficient?

damn-right!
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I checked out the interview, pretty cool. That must have been awesome to interview him , was it actually in person or by e-mail ?

It was :D I need to get more stuff up on my site now though, it used to be really busy but since i re-did it Ive been super lazy

RizzoWashburn
03-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I hear no Green Day-influencing sound whatsoever on Inflammable Material.

...Am I mentally deficient?
I think that 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours has a bit of an influence as far as the guitar playing goes, but not much.

werty22
03-28-2009, 01:18 PM
^It might have some similarities, but I doubt it had any influence on them at that time.

lolmnt
03-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Is all this Green Day/SLF talk referring to High Fidelity?

damn-right!
03-28-2009, 02:02 PM
yeah haha its not even like its a big part of the film its like four seconds where some stupid women makes a stupid comment

kayaress one
03-29-2009, 02:10 AM
...stupid women makes a stupid comment
Does that sound a little redundant do anyone else?
:p:

jakesmellspoo
03-29-2009, 02:14 AM
haha. i only know one song "suspect device" i asked for the cd w/ that song on it for christmas one year. instead my parents did a google search and the first hit was some kind of inflatible plastic hand with moveable fingers. so, long story short i didn't get the album...

damn-right!
03-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Does that sound a little redundant do anyone else?
:p:

:D a little ironic haha

damn-right!
03-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I just bought tickets to see them in May :D

Aggressivec
03-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Ahhh, SLF. "Alternative Ulster" is my favorite song of all time... InFlammable Material and Nobodies Heroes are some of my favorite punk rock albums. Great stuff!

damn-right!
03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Ahhh, SLF. "Alternative Ulster" is my favorite song of all time... InFlammable Material and Nobodies Heroes are some of my favorite punk rock albums. Great stuff!

I think my favourites gotta be "tin soldier" or "roots, radicals, rockers and reggae"

Mav-16
03-30-2009, 05:43 PM
It's all about Wasted Life

that song is pure brilliance.

same with Alternative Ulster.

RizzoWashburn
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM

This.

Aggressivec
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Both of those tunes kick it. I hate most of their "arena rocky" stuff that they did later on, but those first two records. Wow!

damn-right!
03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I aint such a fan of guitar and drum but I dont hate it, it's just a little too...polished

Aggressivec
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah same with "Flags and Emblems". The first song is great, but even so, it's way too polished. I love Jake's voice on "Inflammable Material" but after that, I was never a fan of his voice.

damn-right!
03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
I actually really liked flags and emblems, especially each dollar a bullet because lyrically that song is f*cking great, and I love his voice in most of the stuff theyve done but thoroughly agree that inflammable material is untouchable.

regardless of the quality of their newer stuff in comparison to the older stuff its still better than most of the sh*t about haha and live, well there aint much that compares.

devourthekitten
03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
All SLF is is a bunch of Europeans trying to steal a uniquely American art form...punk.

lavazza
03-31-2009, 07:20 AM

I streamed a live version of Alternative Ulster on youtube and thought it was completely awesome. When I got Inflammable Material and heard the studio version I was disappointed because I only knew this extremely catchy live version.
Wasted Life on the other hand is also awesome as studio version. I should check if they come the Germany this year.

ezlntrooper
03-31-2009, 03:56 PM

That.

+ Suspect Device.

Mav-16
03-31-2009, 05:08 PM
That.

+ Suspect Device.

Strange thing about Wasted Life

my buddy Kenny who I've known since like the 5th grade, was always in love with joining the Army. Me and him always wanted to go into the Army as soon we graduate and hit 18 and all that typical American bull. So after getting into Punk Rock, radically changing, I obviously did not want to join the armed forces anymore. So after not seing this kid for years (I changed schools) i run into him and hang out with him one day about a year or so ago, and he comes to my house and tells me that he has been sworn in and is do to leave in a month or so. Then he asks me straight up, "what made you change about joining the service?" and I played him Wasted Life, and with total respect, he accepted my reasons why.

It didn't change his views or anything, he just had an ultimate understanding as to why.

Me and the guy still talk to eachother too.

Aggressivec
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Thats a sweet story. Best luck to your friend.

ezlntrooper
04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Seriously, best of luck to your friend. You said you saw him over a year ago, so is he scheduled to leave one month from now, or one month from that meeting? Either way, just curious.
And awesome story.

damn-right!
05-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Saw stiff little fingers last night, it was f*cking great! Easily in my top five favourite gigs and I've been to a lot of gigs!

punkrockdoc
05-15-2009, 06:55 PM
the only stiff little fingers record i have is "inflammable material", which is really good.
which other one should i get?

damn-right!
05-16-2009, 05:48 AM
I have Jake Burns plectrum! He chucked it into the crowd and it bounced off my mates head haha quite lucky because ive lost all my plectrums :D

the only stiff little fingers record i have is "inflammable material", which is really good.

"Nobodys Heroes" and "Go For It" definitly. I'd also recommend "Flags and Emblems" and "Guitar and Drum" but both of these have a different, lighter more polished sound. Both are great albums in their own right but if you liked inflammable material you wont necessarily like them.

Only thing I will say is try to stay away from the huge amounts of "best of" albums. They'll have a lot of good songs on them but they also have a lot of not so good ones and poor quality live recordings mixed in.

lavazza
05-16-2009, 07:21 AM
I think I´d take Nobody´s heroes, since it has Fly the Flag and Bloody Sunday, which are both absolutely awesome songs

GreenDayChris
05-16-2009, 10:11 AM
^ and Tin Soldier <3

punkrockdoc
05-16-2009, 01:37 PM
cool. thanks guys

swarley
05-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Nobody's Heroes. It's underrated compared to their first album but it's still really good. Or check out their live album, Hanx!.

lavazza
02-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Anybody knows what´s the "original" Bloody Sunday or Bloody Dub?
I´d bet it´s Bloody Sunday, but as Bloody Dub is the one which isn´t a Bonus Track it´s weird

whyvern
02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I love that a long time ago I guy called me an idiot cos i don't like DKMs. I saw STIFF LITTLE FINGERS at a squat here in Rome, and it costed "donations for the touring band", just like they were any other band. It was awesome. They have alot of energy and their drummer hits all the notes. TAKE THAT, BUZZCOCKS!

It was like watching an old version of THE HIDDEN SPOTS.

I still stand by the fact that SLF had an influence on GREEN DAY because they were a huge influence on all pop-punk, yo!