Let's All Write Like Porcupine Tree

PDA

View Full Version : Let's All Write Like Porcupine Tree

sam_the_man
09-11-2008, 05:09 AM
I was sussing out a lot of genres and I find bands like Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree have an amazing style of writing, and I wanted to see if any of YOU could write something in the style of theyre progressive yet psychodelic vein of music.

If anyone can write something as deep as "Arriving somewhere but not here" by Porcupine Tree, they have to have been descended from god LOL. The reason I'm posting this is because there are so many awesome writers on this site and I know some masterpieces could be made in this style.

Everyone have a shot!! and post what they can do in this thread. Maybe we could even judge the compositions and have a winner! who knows? :)

Live forever

sam the man

Metal_Rich
09-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree are both brilliant artists. If I could write in that style, I would give it a shot - however, I cannot.

dungeon
09-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Check out Riverside band. They play prog rock but are very melodic and I can say you're gonna like them. Second Life Syndrome is a good album to start.

I don't think there are many ppl that can write good songs in such a hurry. It is difficult :)

BKGMorley
09-11-2008, 11:19 AM
i aggree with the above. you cant really write stuff like that in a hurry. this is one ive been trying to peice together for about 9 months. ive finaly found some like minded musicians to start a band with so we have been rewriting over the last couple weeks and it allready sound better that this one. anyway. its sorta Steven Wilsonry. tell me what u think

sam_the_man
09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
hey dungeon I just got Second Life Syndrome and I have to say that I am quickly falling in love with it! lol. It definately has that sound that I love, thanks for helping me find it! :)

BKGMorley, I think there are definately elements of Steven Wilson in your piece man, yehaa the acoustic guitar rocks! You gotta post it once its rewritten for me to hear. It really has got great potential. I love the intro progression, and the progression at measure 59 blows my mind! Well done dude!

Live Forever

sam the man

Slaytanic1993
09-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I have one, that I wrote awhile ago.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=923824

BKGMorley
09-12-2008, 03:58 AM
hey dungeon I just got Second Life Syndrome and I have to say that I am quickly falling in love with it! lol. It definately has that sound that I love, thanks for helping me find it! :)

BKGMorley, I think there are definately elements of Steven Wilson in your piece man, yehaa the acoustic guitar rocks! You gotta post it once its rewritten for me to hear. It really has got great potential. I love the intro progression, and the progression at measure 59 blows my mind! Well done dude!

Live Forever

sam the man

Thanks man, i'll bw sure to reminder you when i finish it, i'll at u as a friend when now so i can remember

sam_the_man
09-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I have one, that I wrote awhile ago.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=923824

Hey man sweet song, I love the intro! It does sound like something Steven Wilson would do, well done! I love the sound of all this shiit, I knew there'd be people with a bit of talent ;) haha

BKGMorley, thanks for the add, and I really look forward to hearing the result!

Live Forever

sam the man

ganyo
09-17-2008, 01:23 PM
certainly not "arriving somewhere", but at least something :D

sam_the_man
09-22-2008, 03:24 AM
certainly not "arriving somewhere", but at least something :D

Wow!! awesome man!

track 3 absoloutely blew my mind!
at first i was like man this is OPETH, but then i instantly heard that Steven Wilson sound, beautiful.

Awesome work ganyo! :D

Live Forever

sam the man

ganyo
10-24-2008, 10:30 AM
well, thx!^^