Jackson Tone "Warbling" sound problem

PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Tone "Warbling" sound problem

sabbathu
09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I have a Jackson DK2 Dinky. Its six months old, bought it brand new.

I am noticing a warbling sound from every note on the 3rd string (G) from about the 5th fret all the way up to 24. It sounds like an oscillating warble, almost like a slight tremolo vibrating very quickly up and down the string. I only hear it when I play single notes on it with no vibrato. I thought maybe the action was too low, but I raised it pretty high and its still there. Also, if I fret the G string at the 24th fret it still warbles.

Any ideas what this is and why its doing that?

GuitarFreak1387
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
iv had that problem with my jackson when my strings were getting old. change them and if that dosent help i dont know what it could be

grifff
09-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I think i know what you're talking about, but i still have the problem, i just dont play that guitar anymore :)

sabbathu
09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
iv had that problem with my jackson when my strings were getting old. change them and if that dosent help i dont know what it could be

Excactly!!! Yeah, if I let the strings go for over a month without changing, they get all grey and brittle, THAT is the sound its making. But these strings are only a week old, granted I played about 3 hours a day this week, they still look good.

sabbathu
10-08-2008, 02:58 AM
I kind of know the rules about bumping, but I'm gonna bump this anyway in the hopes that someone that hasn't already read this can help.

I'm still getting that same warble tone out of the higher notes on the g string (12th fret and above). I tried intonating the guitar eventhough it didn't need it and it didn't fix it. I tried neck relief and bow through truss rod adjustments and still nothing. I've actually got this guitar set up so perfect, it never felt better but that damn tone problem is driving me crazy.

The only thing that helps is if I roll the tone knob all the way down to its bassiest setting. At this point, it sounds great, but I aint gonna play it like this all the time. Also, slightly muting these notes as I pick eliminates the warble, but I'm not gonna let a guitar problem dictate how and when I mute my notes.

Some people have suggested its the springs in the cavity. Some people have suggested the pickup magnets are too close to the strings, but lowering the pickups didn't help.

Any new ideas?

LP_CL
10-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Weird. I'd also say its the strings, but as they are only a week old, that shouldnt be the case.
What brand of strings are you using? A decent brand, or El Cheapos? Because if you play on cheap strings for 3 hours a day for a week long, it could be that they are already causing that harsh sound.
I really see no other explanation for it.

sabbathu
10-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, yet AGAIN LOL!

Anyway, just to update you all, I took my guitar in to the shop at Sam Ash (where I bought it) today and had the tech look at it. He was very confused about the sound it was making. He basically ran through all the possibilities like wolf notes, high pickups, intonation, fret wear, truss rod, etc., etc... and his response was....... it may be a basic characteristic of the guitar. It may be the wood or the neck or a combination. The tech called the store manager in to the mix, and the manager said, "whatever it takes, we'll make you happy. Check the wall for a new guitar you might like in case we have to replace this one under warranty."

So, basically, he wanted to hold it overnight so that they can check the wiring and the electronics to rule out some other possible causes. I should know tomorrow what they will do for me.

I'll keep you all informed if your interested.

Thanks.

LP_CL
10-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Wow, thats a good service. I hope the problem gets solved.

sabbathu
10-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Well, Sam Ash took care of me big time.

The guitar tech took the guitar from me and intonated it, set it up, adjusted the pickups, checked the truss rod, and within a few minutes said that this guitar has some inherent problems that can never be fixed. He said that it is just sonically not right and that it can be attributed to a combination of factors including wood, materials, electronics, craftsmanship, and possibly a poltergiest ;) Seriously!

Anyway, the tech called in the store manager and within a few minutes of discussion, he smiled at me and said, "John, we will do anything it takes to make you happy. Do you want to order another Dinky or do you want to choose a new guitar from the wall?"

So, I went with the Soloist SL2H from the wall. After all discounts and sales, I got it for about $200 more than the price I paid for the Dinky (they gave me 100% store credit for the faulty guitar).

So, thanks everyone for their suggestions and advice. My problem is solved...

Here is a link to my NGD!
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986530