Have I stolen this riff?

PDA

View Full Version : Have I stolen this riff?

Skater901
09-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Ok, so I came up with an idea for a drum beat today, put it into GP, added guitar and bass, and listened to it. It sounds like something I've heard somewhere before. So, I turn to you UG, to tell me if I have stolen this idea from somewhere.

GP5 GP4 and MIDI included.

takeitawaybob
09-12-2008, 04:25 AM
That my friend can hardly be called a riff

Skater901
09-12-2008, 04:26 AM
That my friend can hardly be called a riff
Well you know, musical idea then. It's only 4 bars so it definitely doesn't count as a song.

farquarl
09-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Deffinatly not a riff, its jst the beat u r recognising. I cant put a finger on exactly what song, but its not stealing to use an already used beat.

EnyoAdonai
09-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Ummm... don't think I've heard anything like that before...

if you're talking about the rhythm then maybe.
But the open strings in drop c tuning... well... I'm sure its been done before.

ub3r_bassist666
09-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Its entirely open notes... I think your fine.

nogun_forshogun
09-12-2008, 04:38 AM
*reported* for uploading a virus file and

*reported* for stealing Steve Vai's riff

Skater901
09-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Deffinatly not a riff, its jst the beat u r recognising. I cant put a finger on exactly what song, but its not stealing to use an already used beat.
Yeah I agree, it's the drum beat that is familiar. I'm thinking maybe Three Days Grace or something like that, it kinda sounds like their style.

Its_Rock77
09-12-2008, 08:21 AM
dude, I'm not gonna lie to you. that has definitely been done before. however, it doesn't matter because thousands of others around the world are probably writing this same song too. As long as you didn't consciously rip off another band, you're in the clear. :)

and to me, it sounded Disturbedish. :shrug:

icronic
09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
It's been done before and it'll be done again.

But it's more of a rhythm than a riff, so it really doesn't matter.

It'd be like writing a song with a 1-4-5 progression and asking if you stole it. A song is the sum of all it's parts. You can use thing's that other people have used so long as you find some way of making it your own.