Guitars without headstocks?

PDA

View Full Version : Guitars without headstocks?

M.O.P
09-13-2008, 06:44 AM
I've always seen them, but I'm wondering what's the point of them.
Do they make a different sound to guitars with headstocks?
Just curious.

slayaplaya
09-13-2008, 06:46 AM
I think they look like crap...

I have no idea why they make them though...

Fluffwig
09-13-2008, 06:47 AM
They are easy to travel with, on flights etc.

Scrubs
09-13-2008, 06:50 AM
I think they just look like they are missing something vitally important, and look wrong to my eyes >.< Okay yes the headstock is missing, state t he obvious >.< But how it makes it easier to travel ? I don't know, you have a guitar in a case anyway that'll probably be the same size as the case for a headless guitar o.O

sashki
09-13-2008, 06:53 AM
It's to make them look all futuristic.

It may be for durability. I'm pretty sure Steinberger were the first to make guitars without headstocks, and they were designed for durability. Headstocks can break off quite easily (on Gibsons and Epiphones especially, as I can see from threads here)

Fluffwig
09-13-2008, 07:02 AM
I think they just look like they are missing something vitally important, and look wrong to my eyes >.< Okay yes the headstock is missing, state t he obvious >.< But how it makes it easier to travel ? I don't know, you have a guitar in a case anyway that'll probably be the same size as the case for a headless guitar o.O

http://www.travelerguitar.com/ <--- read more about it there. Some of them actually look very good

Snapple
09-13-2008, 07:14 AM
The lack of headstock makes them shorter, and the bodies are generally really narrow as well, so its a lot more compact.

There are other ideas, like guitars that fold over and guitars with a reduced fretboard, called the lapguitar i think

Retro Rocker
09-13-2008, 07:15 AM
I used to have a Steinberger, fantastic instrument.
Felt weird at first, but you get used to it quick.

A Rolling Stone
09-13-2008, 07:53 AM
easier to travel with...but i still dont like em lol

jacobparker
09-13-2008, 08:09 AM
IMO, it's so there's variation with guitars. I mean I personally don't like them, but I like some guitars other's don't. It's all about your own opinion.

David_Bowie=GOD
09-13-2008, 09:34 AM
how do you string and tune these things is my question? are they comfortable to play?

Scrubs
09-13-2008, 09:38 AM
I imagine you string them back to front and tune at the bridge?

Retro Rocker
09-13-2008, 09:44 AM
I imagine you string them back to front and tune at the bridge?
Bingo.
You need to buy double-ball strings for that.
Upside is that you don't have any excess crap to cut off, downside is that they're a tad more expensive and need to be specially ordered.

Fox McKalen
09-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Honestly, I don't care if they're more portable or even if they play like a dream. They look unforgivably stupid to my eyes. :no:

Snapple
09-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Honestly, I don't care if they're more portable or even if they play like a dream. They look unforgivably stupid to my eyes. :no:

Id put up with it for tone and playability, guitars are for sound not looks

Zyl
09-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Headless Guitars are weird.

Theres something missing.

Like a penis without glans.

oneblackened
09-13-2008, 10:33 AM
It's to make them look all futuristic.

It may be for durability. I'm pretty sure Steinberger were the first to make guitars without headstocks, and they were designed for durability. Headstocks can break off quite easily (on Gibsons and Epiphones especially, as I can see from threads here)
Not so much on epiphones, they have a scarf jointed head. Gibsons are the worst though. One piece necks without a volute=Instant broken headstock.

Fox McKalen
09-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Id put up with it for tone and playability, guitars are for sound not looks
Like I said, they look unforgivably stupid in my eyes. Meaning no amount of great tone could ever distract me from the look of the thing. :(

Besides, for me, looks are just as important as sound and playability for guitars. I wouldn't hang an ugly painting on my wall, so nor would I buy an ugly guitar. They're just as much an art form as the painting is.

Jiro from GLAY
09-13-2008, 11:17 AM
I could careless, if it sounds good I'd buy it. I have been looking for a Steinberger lately anyway.

Ippon
09-13-2008, 11:23 AM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/JudokaUSA/worthlessthreadwithoutpics.gif
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/graphics/articles/reports/2005/transcale_275x341.jpg

:cheers:

CephalidHunter
09-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Ned Steinberger made his basses and later guitars headless for balance and tuning stability if I recall correctly.

howZz
09-15-2008, 02:52 AM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/JudokaUSA/worthlessthreadwithoutpics.gif
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/graphics/articles/reports/2005/transcale_275x341.jpg

:cheers:

I actually think this look pretty cool. don't like any other shapes tho

EtherSun
09-15-2008, 03:49 AM
steinberger guitars also have a little compartment built into them to hold tools/picks
and the new one has a built in capo