how to kill single coil buzz

PDA

View Full Version : how to kill single coil buzz

apak
09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
any way to stop buzz from single coils without actually replacing pickups? something practical please.

Roc8995
09-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Try shielding your control cavity.
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

gtdude114
09-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Noise suppressors work well when reducing hum. Look into it online.

jj1565
09-13-2008, 05:45 PM
stewmac.com has self adhesive copper foil.

http://www.bythefireplace.co.uk/guitar/cavity.htm

guitar nuts tutorial is a little in depth. even a simple overlapping application helps tons.

apak
09-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Noise suppressors work well when reducing hum. Look into it online.
yeah. imma buy one, but i'm not gonna carry pedals around with my strat. my strat is my beater

jj1565
09-13-2008, 05:50 PM
imo, no reason to kill your tone, when you can quiet the guitar for $20 of tape.

apak
09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
imo, no reason to kill your tone, when you can quiet the guitar for $20 of tape.
nah, the noise reducer is gonna be for killing hum and feedbacking when i have amp distortion+overdrive. super noisy. it's not a foil problem. it's a too much gain problem. kill the hum without affecting gain. maybe tone a little, but i'm willing to sacrifice it a little. and i hear the isp does a really good job

sashki
09-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Electro Harmonix have a hum debugger pedal, specifically designed to remove 60-cycle hum from single coil pickups.

Also, there are some things which plug into the mains socket and apparently kill hum at the source. I dunno how those work, though.

And shielding, in my experience, may limit interference and feedback, but it won't completely remove the hum.

jj1565
09-13-2008, 05:58 PM
ok i hear you, if what you're doing is stopping that hum that comes with high gain use.

but, a practical way to make strat singles less noisy (your question) is to foil line the trem cavity.

you'll be shocked at the difference, even a shoddy shielding job can accomplish.

:cheers:

apak
09-13-2008, 06:07 PM
ok i hear you, if what you're doing is stopping that hum that comes with high gain use.

but, a practical way to make strat singles less noisy (your question) is to foil line the trem cavity.

you'll be shocked at the difference, even a shoddy shielding job can accomplish.

:cheers:
so i buy like spray glue and just glue foil on? i take everything off of the pickguard first of course right?

sashki
09-13-2008, 06:07 PM
On most guitars with single coils these days, the middle pickup is reverse wound and reverse polarity, so when you have two pickups on together, they act as a humbucker.

mcw00t
09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
On most guitars with single coils these days, the middle pickup is reverse wound and reverse polarity, so when you have two pickups on together, they act as a humbucker.
*slow clap*

For a single coil (note the singular) refer to JJ's post :)

apak
09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
uh. that's not true. it's more like double coil... which sounds similar, but not the same

sashki
09-13-2008, 06:26 PM
uh. that's not true. it's more like double coil... which sounds similar, but not the same
They don't sound like a humbucker at all, I never said they did. But together they function as one.

And anyway, if we're dealing with one pickup, you should ignore my post.

end_citizen
09-13-2008, 06:37 PM
http://singlecoil.com/docs/silent.pdf

This works

Fama
09-13-2008, 06:59 PM
nah, the noise reducer is gonna be for killing hum and feedbacking when i have amp distortion+overdrive. super noisy. it's not a foil problem. it's a too much gain problem. kill the hum without affecting gain. maybe tone a little, but i'm willing to sacrifice it a little. and i hear the isp does a really good job
Shielding your guitar might still help with the hum, since the hum picked up by the single coil is amplified by the distortion and overdrive, and when there's less hum to begin with, you end up with less hum.

jj1565
09-13-2008, 08:16 PM
so i buy like spray glue and just glue foil on? i take everything off of the pickguard first of course right?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/1/Conductive_Copper_Tape/Pictures.html#details

i use this stuff because it's thick and sticks on its own.

if you're not in the states then yeah a spray on glue and copper foil.

and look at the picture, see how he overlaps, and runs tape out of the cavity to a guard screw?
that's so the metal screw comes in contact with the foil.

311ZOSOVHJH
09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Shielding your guitar might still help with the hum, since the hum picked up by the single coil is amplified by the distortion and overdrive, and when there's less hum to begin with, you end up with less hum.

This^ and what JJ is showing you. Hum comes from lots of places and you asked about single coil hum so.