Post-Hardcore Competition Sign Up and Discussion

PDA

View Full Version : Post-Hardcore Competition Sign Up and Discussion

Its_Rock77
09-14-2008, 07:16 PM
I took the liberty of making a new thread to avoid confusion. This is for signing up for and discussing anything having to do with the Tabs & Chords competitions.

It's not too late to sign up, but don't do it in the Submissions thread. :peace:

so start posting in this discussion thread instead of the other one.

:cheers:

Broadsword
09-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I'll go ahead and edit my post in the submission thread once it's time.

Well, actually, I've already finished my song (bored weekends ftw!), but I'm not gonna post it until I see what the rest of the competition is like. :p:

Its_Rock77
09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm still putting down a bunch of ideas until I find something I like. Yesterday, I wrote at least 20 decent riffs. none are really amazing yet though. :shrug:

none of them will be....:(

Edit: and I'll go ahead and "confirm" my judging status right now Regression. I'm committed. :)

RedDeath9
09-14-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm in.

Slaytanic1993
09-14-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm in...as with B I'm done with my song...but, that doesn't mean I won't do some snipping, fixing, etc.

Cameronrobson
09-14-2008, 08:03 PM
i would like to sign up, when is the deadline?

ctb
09-14-2008, 08:11 PM
i'm in!

Cameronrobson
09-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Nevermind, I don't want to sign up, but can I be a judge?

Its_Rock77
09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
ninja.kitty is in.

he got banned so I'm representing him. :D If he's not unbanned by the deadline, I'll probably be uploading his song and mine.

Zao_89
09-14-2008, 11:06 PM
I'll give it a shot I guess.

Regression
09-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Its_Rock77, there's one implication with you judging. You might give people low scores which in turn lowers there average, which may cause you to place higher.

Personally, I don't care, and I trust that you wouldn't do that. However, others might not, so it all depends on whether they are fine with it or not. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with you judging, but who knows. As long as 2 or 3 people can back me up in confirming you, then you're confirmed. :)

JesseBlanchard
09-15-2008, 01:54 AM
innn.

Its_Rock77
09-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Its_Rock77, there's one implication with you judging. You might give people low scores which in turn lowers there average, which may cause you to place higher.

Personally, I don't care, and I trust that you wouldn't do that. However, others might not, so it all depends on whether they are fine with it or not. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with you judging, but who knows. As long as 2 or 3 people can back me up in confirming you, then you're confirmed. :)

I would sure hope that you guys trust me. :( Especially in a competition with no prize whatsoever (save bragging rights) I have no reasons to try to get myself up there. :shrug:

does anyone object? I really wanna do this. :/

Friendly Stoat
09-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I would sure hope that you guys trust me. :( Especially in a competition with no prize whatsoever (save bragging rights) I have no reasons to try to get myself up there. :shrug:

does anyone object? I really wanna do this. :/

I trust you with it :D If we need any more judges I'm happy to do it.

ganyo
09-15-2008, 11:59 AM
well, i hope my song could be subsummized under post-hardcore. i think, post-hardcore ain't a strictly defined genre, so i would be in.

who gets the file? is it gp5 oder must it be mp3 and recorded?

Thomasoman
09-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm totally in.

chromaticvision
09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
i'm in.

Its_Rock77
09-15-2008, 09:05 PM
well, i hope my song could be subsummized under post-hardcore. i think, post-hardcore ain't a strictly defined genre, so i would be in.

who gets the file? is it gp5 oder must it be mp3 and recorded?

you're already done? well, you can wait out the next couple of weeks to fine tune it. :shrug:

but it should be Guitar Pro if possible. also upload a GP4 if you have GP5. Midis are recommended. I believe power tabs are allowed too if anyone doesn't have Guitar Pro. :peace:

Regression
09-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Its_Rock77, I said midi are compulsory. Powertab and Guitar Pro both export to midi right? It seems like the one format we can expect from everyone. other possible formats aren't compulsory, but definately reccomended, just because it will be easier for judges.

Remember, midis can be imported into guitar pro.

And ganyo, is your piece new? If not, just letting you know that you can't use pieces you've written in the past.

And also, everyone will be able to see it, you post your piece in the submission thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956829).

Its_Rock77
09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I know that as a judge, people will have the chance at a better score if it's in GP or PT rather than midi. Not saying that people who use midis are destined for failure, but this competition isn't rating "thoughts", it's a competition of sound. If it's possible to add a GP or PT, you have a better chance of getting a better score (for yourself that is, not compared to others)

just my two cents. I know I'm not gonna upload a midi. I'm already not gonna win, so I might as well get my thoughts across in the best format possible.

ganyo
09-16-2008, 09:33 AM
oh, ok. if there's enough time, i'll write a new one, which might fit the genre better.
and i write my songs in gp. ;)

RedDeath9
09-18-2008, 10:45 AM
So the deadline hasn't been decided yet? I don't know if I'll be able to finish mine on time.

Momentosis
09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Post Hardcore?

Sign me up btw.

Regression
09-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Deadline hasn't been decided, no. Maybe October 12?

If everybody wants it sooner, I doubt I will be done in time. I have exams on at the moment, and it seems most of my teachers decided not to teach the curriculum this year.

And signed you up Momentosis. I don't actually know why people have to 'sign up'. They could just submit it anyway, but oh well, we'll just keep it this way.

Friendly Stoat
09-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Can I judge? No one answered my previous post :mad:

:p:

Slaytanic1993
09-21-2008, 09:24 PM
How come I'm not listed in the participants?

:sad:

Am I too metal for the comp :p:?

Its_Rock77
09-21-2008, 09:49 PM
you're too metal for most things. :p:

I'm yet to begin my song. :shrug:

Regression
09-22-2008, 06:58 AM
How come I'm not listed in the participants?

:sad:

Am I too metal for the comp :p:?
We thought it was only fair that you be excluded from this competition because you're to good.

No, okay, added you now. Sorry. :(

And Its_Rock77, no need to worry, I've had exams so I havn't really been able to do anything. They're over after Thursday though. WOO!

Edit: Aww, why does everyone ignore Friendly Stoat? You can judge, your username misleads me into thinking you're trustworthy. :)

Slaytanic1993
09-22-2008, 07:29 AM
We thought it was only fair that you be excluded from this competition because you're to good.

That one hit home :(

Friendly Stoat
09-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Aww, why does everyone ignore Friendly Stoat? You can judge, your username misleads me into thinking you're trustworthy. :)

Haha, thanks :)

RedDeath9
09-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I still don't know what kind of post-hardcore I want... Could be like Thursday and Thrice, or like The Fall of Troy. I'm kinda leaning towards TFOT.

Regression
09-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeahh, I really don't know what sound I want.

And gahh. I didn't study last night because I was working on a piece, and I ended up completely failing my classics exam. Now my classics teacher who is head of acm (fancy name for the top class of each year) is threatening to pull me out of music. =|

Its_Rock77
09-23-2008, 01:03 AM
dude.....:(

I don't know what to say except forget this comp, hit those books! we'll wait for you man. :)

Regression
09-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Lol, only 2 left, I should consider putting in more effort. He is going to murder me when he sees my english exam. =\

I left all the essays blank, and spent the whole exam writing an argument on the flaws of education. To bad that wasn't even part of the exam. :(

Edit: Oh, and for those of you who like Scar Symmetry, I just found out the vocalist has left. :sad:

One of the best metal vocalists around... It's got me all dissapointed.

Regression
09-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Woo! Exams are over! :D

My maths one wasn't very encouraging. I dropped my pen and it broke, so I ended up spending half the exam putting random things on my calculator.

I tried spelling out Its_Rock77 but lacked the R and K. Other than that I just looked at my calculator go from ^.^ to ^_^ magically. If you have a scientific calculator then try it, it's quite fun. :)

You just put ^.^ and then move the marker thingy over the dot, and the mouth thing will move. Exciting stuff.

Cameronrobson
09-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I still don't know what kind of post-hardcore I want... Could be like Thursday and Thrice, or like The Fall of Troy. I'm kinda leaning towards TFOT.
* hint * as a judge, im more likely to like your guys songs if they sound like at the drive-in * hint *

Its_Rock77
09-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Woo! Exams are over! :D

My maths one wasn't very encouraging. I dropped my pen and it broke, so I ended up spending half the exam putting random things on my calculator.

I tried spelling out Its_Rock77 but lacked the R and K. Other than that I just looked at my calculator go from ^.^ to ^_^ magically. If you have a scientific calculator then try it, it's quite fun. :)

You just put ^.^ and then move the marker thingy over the dot, and the mouth thing will move. Exciting stuff.

:haha

I feel so honored yet so confused. :p:

Regression
09-26-2008, 06:23 AM
I'd feel pretty creeped out..

So this is my life. Attempting to type usernames of people on an internet forum onto a calculator during maths exams.

Now it's time to start writing. May I warn you, I got a Trojan today, I think I've got rid of it, but if I don't come on the forums within the next week or so, I obviously didn't. Would you guys count Dir En Grey as post-hardcore?

bloodshed344
09-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Im A Judge

Regression
09-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Ahh, sorry didn't notice your post in the thread. I have listed you now. :)

RedDeath9
09-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Still haven't started...

Its_Rock77
09-28-2008, 07:03 PM
I have a couple different ideas I've been developing. I can't decide though. :shrug: not very far. :/

Regression
09-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Don't worry, I have tried 3 or 4 ideas, none of them were very impressive. =\

ninja.kitty
10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
yay unbannageeeee :D

and you guys still dont have your songs made up? *tsk tsk tsk*

Its_Rock77
10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
without a deadline, it's hard to get started :p:

ninja.kitty
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
excuses, :P

Cameronrobson
10-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Would you guys count Dir En Grey as post-hardcore?
nope

RedDeath9
10-03-2008, 12:45 AM
K, have some ideas, although I'm not sure if it'd count as post-hardcore... Sounds more like mathcore without the crazy time signatures.

Its_Rock77
10-03-2008, 01:23 AM
*Coming from a judge's perspective*
when I think of post-hardcore, I think of one of two things:
One is the "in your face" kinda punkish heavy stylings of ATDI.
While the other is the really spacey but still heavy sound of bands such as Saosin.
both of these "types" have quite dynamic aspects with headbangable sections as well as really beautiful light clean parts.

For examples of these two:
I would listen to Sleepwalk Capsules and Cosmonaut by At the Drive In for the first style.
and Seven Years and It's Far Better to Learn by Saosin for the second style.

just kinda what I'm expecting as a judge I guess. definitely not limited to these two types of music (or bands, I'm just going from straight off the top of my head here) but for those of you still confused, I'm just trying to help out a bit.

also, if any of the other judges feel like my little 'definition' is incorrect just say so. :)

Regression
10-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Havn't been on recently, my modem screwed up. =\

And I guess I will go for a Saosin kind of sound, just to please the Anthony Green fanboy. Also, I don't really like At The Drive In. =\

Unless you are Cameronrobson, then I do like At The Drive In, I was just joking. :)

Edit: I've finally come up with an idea I like. YAY. :)

And we need to decide a submission thing...

Yet Another Edit: Is it okay if we write a 'vocal' part, even if it is actually just a melody to go over the top? Because I'm not writing lyrics. Or if I do, I won't be able to have them done by whatever time the submission thing is.

Its_Rock77
10-03-2008, 08:33 AM
dude, yeah. cameronrobson is obsessed :p:

and who wouldn't want to please the AG fanboy? ;)

yeah, vocal parts will increase your score (by either small or decent amounts depending).
lyrics are not necessary, and to tell you the truth it's better not to have them.
cause if I think your lyrics suck it's gonna be a chunk out of your score. :shrug: I'm just picky.

Regression
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Loll. Well, it wouldn't neccesarily be a vocal part, it's just that without vocals, the piece would be empty. So to fill in the gap, I will just make up a random 'vocal' part, and one day if I ever have inspiration for lyrics, then I will write them, and make them into a vocal part.

But yeahh, so it might not actually fit as actual vocals, it might not be written in a way where words could feasibly sound good if they were sung in such a style, however that's to bad. It's more or less just a lead line for verse and chorus.

I might need to send this to you, Its_Rock77 just to check that you'd consider it post-hardcore or close enough to get by using it. I have my doubts... :(

craxymaxy
10-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Ill jump in if its not too late :eek:

Slaytanic1993
10-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I dunno if my song qualifies for post-hardcore :sad:

From what I know of the genre, my song fits in the with the poppier side, rather than the punk/in your face side...but, even then I dunno.

Regression
10-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah, mine is more on the poppier side so far. Although I'm not finished...

I don't really see that changing though.

And oki craxymaxy.

Its_Rock77
10-04-2008, 01:10 AM
honestly guys, I wouldn't worry about it. as long as the intent was to be Post Hardcore, it's fine with me. I don't know about the other judges, but seriously why force you to rewrite?

you know the limits, don't take advantage of them. :shrug:

Regression
10-04-2008, 01:21 AM
I like that idea. Mine is close enough to post-hardcore for me to get by. :)

If Slaytanics is fine, then I think mine will be.

Broadsword
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Hm, then I guess mine will be, too. :p:

I think I did it right...

ninja.kitty
10-04-2008, 02:02 PM
can we please set a deadline? i want the judging to start. how bout the 13th?

Regression
10-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Hmm, I'm okay with the 13th.

I hope. =\

Edit: We only have 4 judges...

Friendly Stoat
10-05-2008, 06:43 AM
13th is OK for me too. I'm kinda hoping mine is post-hardcore enough as well!

Regression
10-05-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm hoping I can come up with a good chorus. I've only got intro, pre-verse and verse so far. =\

Broadsword
10-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Hmm, I'm okay with the 13th.

I hope. =\

Edit: We only have 4 judges...

Well, the rock comp only had 3, for what it's worth.

Regression
10-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Ahh, okay then. 4 will do. :)

I'm liking where my piece is going if I can make better transitions. Also, I need to do alot of the fine details. After the intro everything is sort of just a rough copy, lots of ctrl+c going on. =\

It's nothing compared to what's been submitted though. :(
I feel obliged to participate in this one though, because I've said I would in all the others and failed to get something finished.

Friendly Stoat
10-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Ahh, okay then. 4 will do. :)

I'm liking where my piece is going if I can make better transitions. Also, I need to do alot of the fine details. After the intro everything is sort of just a rough copy, lots of ctrl+c going on. =\

It's nothing compared to what's been submitted though. :(
I feel obliged to participate in this one though, because I've said I would in all the others and failed to get something finished.

It's probably better than mine :p: looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.

Rwhite88
10-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Do yous mind if I sign up? Mine should be done in a few days, if thats alrite

Regression
10-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Yeah, that's fine.

And ahh, I don't know. If yours is anywhere near as good as what you've posted on here before, I don't stand much of a chance. =\

ctb
10-06-2008, 06:28 AM
woo we have a deadline. :D
i've almost finished. it's got hard to come up with bits to add to it now. :|

Regression
10-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I've got quite a bit to go. =\

RedDeath9
10-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Alright guys, I'm out. I haven't even started anything yet, and I'm trying to concentrate on finishing some other stuff up...

Its_Rock77
10-08-2008, 11:58 PM
dude, I'm gonna write my song probably in the last 2 days. stay in. don't feel guilty if you don't enter your best work. these comps are all in good fun.

RedDeath9
10-09-2008, 12:18 AM
I'll see. Yeah, I guess I'm back in for now, but I still don't know if I'll actually get anything in by the deadline...

Regression
10-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Lol, I have to admit the intro is the only part I'm happy with on what I've done. And I've only written upto the first chorus, which I might have to change because it doesn't really fit.

And I have a speech for school next week which I'm still yet to choose a topic for/start. =\

metalminded07
10-09-2008, 01:48 PM
i could judge if there is a need for more judges. my name is metalminded because when i made the account that is all i listened to, but now my favorite bands are post-hardcore and i rarely listen to metal.

Its_Rock77
10-09-2008, 07:52 PM
what type of post hardcore do you listen to?

bloodshed344
10-09-2008, 08:03 PM
As soon as every participant has completed their song I'll start judging, so someone notify me when that happens or I'm bound to forget.

Regression
10-10-2008, 02:20 AM
Lolll, mine will be posted at the last minute I bet.

I should get onto working on it now. I started writing this damn cool relaxing piece with strings and flutes. Tis what I've been doing over the past few days.

ctb
10-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Lolll, mine will be posted at the last minute I bet.

same here. :p:

chromaticvision
10-10-2008, 07:57 PM
mine is up. just added it to my original post.

Regression
10-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm trying to start a whole new one, I can't write a good chorus for that other one. =\

PETERFKNPARKER
10-11-2008, 08:40 AM
yo i'll sign up.. i know its late... 2 days left?

god.

erm i cba to tab it so i'm going to record it... i know you said midi are compulsary but ah well. i'm doing this for funzies.

Regression
10-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Ah, this is tabs & chords though. =\

It defies the point... This is what our sad lives revolve around, the fact we are to cheap to record so we write on Guitar Pro. Also so we don't forget the stuff we write... But yeahhh.

PETERFKNPARKER
10-11-2008, 09:02 AM
ah okay i'll tab it then
it just takes me so long to figure out rythms

Regression
10-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Same here, tap your foot or write out the drum part first and it's a bit easier.

PETERFKNPARKER
10-11-2008, 10:50 AM
who ever likes scary kids scaring kids, you're gonna like mine...

i'm amped

ninja.kitty
10-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Ah, this is tabs & chords though. =\

It defies the point... This is what our sad lives revolve around, the fact we are to cheap to record so we write on Guitar Pro. Also so we don't forget the stuff we write... But yeahhh.
:( so true..

Zao_89
10-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Sorry for late notice, but I'm out. I might finish it when I dont feel rushed and post it, but I just cant finish right now.

Regression
10-12-2008, 03:48 AM
:( so true..

Lol, yeah, I didn't mean to stereotype all of us, but sadly, I think it's accurate. =\

Hmm, I don't know what the hell to do. That's oki zao. Mines going to probably be awful and unoriginal. I still havn't finished it, and have to write my speech by tommorow/memorise it. So this is going to be, copy, paste, copy, paste, and alot of awful parts yeah.

PETERFKNPARKER
10-12-2008, 04:13 AM
i thought i could manage in two days but im out of ideas :/
i like the first 2 parts of mine but thats all i have.. havent got to a chorus or anything yet :/

not sure if ill finish

Regression
10-12-2008, 05:52 AM
I've had the entire time and havn't been able to think of a good chorus. And tommorow I've gotta write a speech for school, so basically I've got tonight to finish it. I will post mine tommorow anyway. Long story short it's crap, I have an intro, some random part which is basically the same as an intro, and an attempted chorus with only rhythm guitar, bass and a basic copy and pasted drum part because the drums aren't really important atm.

I blame the 2nd inversion-ness. But I don't really have any good excuse except for I just couldn't come up with anything good after the intro. =\

Broadsword
10-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I feel like an asshole, I finished in about 5 hours. :( Sudden burst of inspiration, I guess....

Its_Rock77
10-12-2008, 12:08 PM
dude, deadline is tomorrow isn't it?

I hope I have time.....that would truly suck if I missed out on my favorite contest. :(

PETERFKNPARKER
10-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Okay i pulled out but i put a recorded version of the ideas i had on my profile

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/PETERFKNPARKER/

its the I touch ya face one

some feedback would be nice but its not finished and its not very good anyway. anyway yeah good luck everyone

Regression
10-13-2008, 04:07 AM
dude, deadline is tomorrow isn't it?

I hope I have time.....that would truly suck if I missed out on my favorite contest. :(

Submit it anyway? I submitted a literal piece of $%^&*(, mainly because I felt obliged to submit something, but yeahhhh. The chorus doesn't fit with it or have any melody.. =\

And I didn't have time to add anything onto it so I copied and pasted it over once and made some ^%&*( outro. I will change it one day, but theres some pieces which are going really well for me, I want to make the most of it. =\

And WOO, speech moved back to Friday! :)

Time to procrastinate!

Its_Rock77
10-13-2008, 09:06 PM
holy crap.

yesterday, my dad loaded up software for our new printer and in the process got a virus. internet was unusable and I thought I was totally screwed for T&C.

*phew*
everything worked out and it was fixed overnight. my song will be up tonight! I'm quite proud of this one. :)

ninja.kitty
10-14-2008, 01:58 AM
dude, the end of your song made me lol :P

Regression
10-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Yeah, the submissions things closed now. So I guess judges can get to judging.

Blah, exams in 4 weeks! The real ones. The fact that I failed 3 subjects straight in the practice exams is worrying. Okay, sure I didn't put in any effort, but exams are meant to be easy. =\

I guess I will have to really study. :(

Its_Rock77
10-14-2008, 08:27 AM
dude, the end of your song made me lol :P

oh I try. ;)

Friendly Stoat
10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll start doing the judging soon - when should it be done by?

ninja.kitty
10-14-2008, 03:00 PM
oh I try. ;)i was expecting it to pick up again, and was confused. then i looked at the bottom :rolleyes:
I'll start doing the judging soon - when should it be done by?
as soon as possible, then we can finish this up and move on :)

Friendly Stoat
10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
I listened to all of these in gp4, if it makes any difference to anything. Just thought I'd point that out :p: and sorry they're not massively in-depth.
I'll mark them out of 20 because if I do it out of 10, everyone will end up with 7 or 8. And I hope my comments aren't too harsh! Please don't take offense to any of my scores or comments.

JesseBlanchard:

+ Good use of clean riffs at the start and well mixed with distorted riffs.
+ Powerful sounding distorted riffs, and awesome chorus
+ Simple but effective bridge
+ I can imagine screaming over the bit titled 'rawrr' would sound amazing

- Verses seem to go on far too long in places.
- Some parts of the intro sound a little awkward

Overall, good work. 15/20.

chromaticvision

+ Nice intro, bass is very well used
+ Simple but vocal-friendly verses, but they move on to some interesting and good guitar work
+ Interlude shows a slightly heavier side to the song
+ Interlude after 2nd chorus is pretty atmospheric

- Last interlude seems way too short, and it feels like there should be something more in there
- Pretty weak ending

This one gets 16/20.

Ninja.Kitty

+ Good use of dissonance especially in 'screaming 1/2'
+ Atmospheric feel - reminds me of Circa Survive (this is a good thing)
+ Clean verses keep the urgent and dark mood of the song

- Guitar 1 is massively repetitive
- Some drumming parts are a bit weak
- Slides in 'clean 2' sound a bit awkward
- Far too short, and I didn't like the ending much

I know I've put more negatives there than positives, but most of the song was superbly written. 15/20

Of_Wolves

+ Has a unique sound - admittedly unusual for post-hardcore songs
+ It seems to be quite a powerful and emotional song but keeps the urgent and heavy-ish feel - good in a live situation!
+ Great use of piano. It adds a hell of a lot to the song.

- Unexpected ending - it feels like it should be going on longer :p:

Can't find a lot else to say about it so 17/20.

Slaytanic1993

+ Good bass in first verse.
+ Pre-chorus is good, if a little repetitive.
+ Chorus and breakdownish bit are great.
+ I like the way that the song progressively becomes heavier.

- Intro sounds a bit awkward
- 1/2 bends in 'actual breakdown' didn't sound all too good

Decent song, 14/20.

Thomasoman

+ Sounds like a very powerful track
+ I like the way that the screaming bit is just drums, I love it when bands do this
+ Piano is nicely used in bridge
+ Superb build-up

- Climax is repetitive

This gets 19/20.

Broadsword

+ Sounds emotional - this is a good thing IMO.
+ Acoustic intro is excellent, as is the pre-chorus. I found the calmer bits to be the best parts of this song, they're amazing.

- Doesn't sound like post-hardcore in places, although there's nothing wrong with it being a bit different :D
- Vocals sound droney and repetitive in places

I reckon 14/20.

craxymaxy

+ Urgent sounding piano intro, fits in well
+ Guitar work in verses and choruses is simple but effective.
+ Ambience parts add a nice atmosphere

- Overused chord progression
- Abrupt ending

16/20.

Regression

+ Intro is amazing, seriously. Reminds me of The Getaway Plan a bit, if you've heard them.
+ Nice lead.

- Could do with more melody in chorus, a couple of parts sound pretty awkward although it sounds alright overall.
- Definetly needs to be longer and have a bridge or something.

On the contrary to what you said on the forum, nice piece of work! 16/20.

ctb

+ Good intro, simple but definetly effective, and it works well as the chorus.
+ Breakdown sounded suitably heavy without changing much from the feel of the rest of the song.
+ Great solo part leading to the end, and nice ending too!

- Part just before the first verse is a bit iffy.

16/20.

Its_Rock77

+ Nice tense intro, sounds very heavy but melodic when distortion comes in. Sounds like Circa Survive meets In Flames to me! but then again I am odd.
+ The chorus/ pre-chorus part is superb, nice guitar work. Awesome riffs in there.
+ Cool solo in background
+ Nice ending, works very well except for the random open D string bits :p:

- Too short! Structure confused me a bit too.

18/20 for that one.

So overall:

1. Thomasoman (12 points)
2. Its_Rock77 (11 points)
3. Of_Wolves (10 points)
4. chromaticvision (9 points)
5. craxymaxy (8 points)
6. Regression (7 points)
7. ctb (6 points)
8. Ninja.Kitty (5 points)
9. JesseBlanchard (4 points)
10.Broadsword (3 points)
11. Slaytanic (2 point)
12. Me (1 point)

I enjoyed them all, please no one take offense cos they were all good, seriously.

Its_Rock77
10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Nice ending, works very well except for the random open D string bits :p:

for you and everyone else who may be confused by this, take another look. ;)

especially at the bars at the bottom *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge*

I'll start judging when I have time tonight or tomorrow. :cheers:

Slaytanic1993
10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
- Intro sounds a bit awkward

Don't want to sound nitpicky, but how so?

ctb
10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Friendly Stoat: thank you for the feedback!

Its_Rock77
10-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Friendly Stoat
•pretty cool riffs thrown in there
•overall nice sounding song
•flow seemed a bit questionable at points
•piano didn’t really work that well IMO
•chorus was pretty cool although could use a bit more
•leads sometimes got a bit annoying. nothing too bad though
•ending was really weak
Overall, I really liked this song. It got a bit long in my eyes, but there wasn’t anything that really screamed “wrong” to me. Good job with this.

JesseBlanchard
•I’m really liking that opening clean riff
•verse 3 is kindof annoying on Guitar pro but still sounds cool
•I really like the chorus
•cool leads throughout
•I didn’t really like the rawr section
•middle eight was a great way to resolve back to the chorus
Overall, it was a really solid song. very enjoyable riffs thrown in there. some parts could use some variation, but mostly really awesome.

Chromaticvision
•dude, really really cool song
•awesome use of the instruments
•great riffs throughout
•it all worked together nicely
•some transitions were a bit off but nothing that bad
Overall, it was awesome. I can’t really find anything I feel negative about in this song. really really good effort.

Ninja.Kitty
•I’m loving the riffs
•Intensity is beautiful
•Dissonance does wonders for this song
•Chorus is especially sweet. that lead is just orgasmic ;)
•Clean part is okay, but not awesome.
•I really liked Clean 2
•Outro riff is really nice
Overall, I really liked this song. it was shaky at points but the good outweighed the bad. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. :D

Of_Wolves
•Chorus is really cool and original
•Verse also has some really good riffs
•Pre chorus needs a bit more IMO, but it’s a great passing into the chorus
•I didn’t like the second verse as much as the first
•chorus 2 wasn’t as good as chorus 1
Overall, great song. I didn’t say much because it was awesome as a song but not in parts if you know what I mean. my comments about chorus and verse 2 are relative cause they were still awesome just not as good as the firsts. I’m still really loving that first chorus riff.

Slaytanic1993
•unfortunately, I think you really bought into the posthardcore is “lighter” than metal a bit too much
•for the first minute or so I’m just hearing a generic pop punk song :shrug:
•when the chorus comes it gets so much better though, but still not amazing
•breakdown part was good, but still kinda generic
Overall, I really think you let the genre really overshadow your style. Don’t take my words to mean this sucks, cause it’s still a good song but I know that you can do way better. In the future, I would definitely let your background shine through while still keeping the theme. This was definitely not to your potential. sorry man.

Regression
10-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Regression

+ Intro is amazing, seriously. Reminds me of The Getaway Plan a bit, if you've heard them.
+ Nice lead.

- Could do with more melody in chorus, a couple of parts sound pretty awkward although it sounds alright overall.

On the contrary to what you said on the forum, nice piece of work! 16/20.
Were you drunk when judging? The intro is the only good part. 16/20 is like, =\

Edit: Oh, and noone comment about there being a guitar which isn't used and the fact that the keys are set to rhodes piano but all I use is a music box at the end. I had them there when writing because I was trying parts out. :)

Friendly Stoat
10-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Its_Rock and Slaytanic, I'll have another look at your songs when I'm home, I'm at school at the moment. And thanks for the feedback Its_Rock.

Regression: I based the scores very much on how much I enjoyed the songs, and I happened to like yours :p: although I agree the intro was the best bit by far.

Regression
10-15-2008, 05:05 AM
Lol at Its_Rock's one. You must have been really bored.

Its_Rock77
10-15-2008, 07:47 AM
I've been thinking about my scoring overnight, and it occurred to me that any person whom I score low will not have any chance of winning the competition assuming all judges match the scale of FS.
so when I score the rest tonight, the scale will be changed to match Friendly Stoat's. :cheers:
all scores will be in the same "order" so to say though.

and before all the judges do release scores (and me and FS can edit if this idea is preferred)
I think it would be much better to simply rank the songs. best song gets 11 points, second best gets 10 etc etc. what do you guys think of this?
it seems to me like it would keep the grading consistent. for example, a single judge might score very harshly and this would hurt many or all of the participants. However, if the songs are ranked, everything stays consistent and everyone has a chance.
just a thought. tell me what you think. :shrug:

Friendly Stoat
10-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I've been thinking about my scoring overnight, and it occurred to me that any person whom I score low will not have any chance of winning the competition assuming all judges match the scale of FS.
so when I score the rest tonight, the scale will be changed to match Friendly Stoat's. :cheers:
all scores will be in the same "order" so to say though.

and before all the judges do release scores (and me and FS can edit if this idea is preferred)
I think it would be much better to simply rank the songs. best song gets 11 points, second best gets 10 etc etc. what do you guys think of this?
it seems to me like it would keep the grading consistent. for example, a single judge might score very harshly and this would hurt many or all of the participants. However, if the songs are ranked, everything stays consistent and everyone has a chance.
just a thought. tell me what you think. :shrug:

I have to admit, I wondered about the validity of the scoring system myself. That's a pretty good idea though.

Slaytanic, I just thought it had a bit of a strange feel to it tbh. Hard to describe :/ don't get me wrong though, it's a good song.

Its_Rock, I get it now. :p:

Its_Rock77
10-15-2008, 06:55 PM
agreeing on ranking from 1-11 with the number 1 song earning 11 points then?

I personally think that's the best way to do it. :shrug:

Friendly Stoat
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Works for me, I will edit mine to fit in with that sometime over the next few days.

Slaytanic1993
10-15-2008, 07:10 PM
ITs_Rock: I like how you gave everyone else a /20 score, and myself a /10 score :p:

Its_Rock77
10-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Thomasoman
•beginning riff is quite catchy
•good transition into the little acoustic verse bit
•break is cool
•leads at 57 was quite tight
•this song doesn’t seem like a “let’s break for screaming” kind of song…
•I felt like the build up build up to nothing
•I suggest you go straight into the chorus from there
•this song really deserves a more upbeat chorus IMO :shrug:
•climax was sweet but drums could be redone
•flow into the outro was questionable
•I didn’t like the ending
Overall, you’ve got some really nice, spacy sounding riffs in there. everything sounded pretty nice. I enjoyed listening to this. :)

Broadsword
•beginning acoustic was quite nice
•verse is quite generic IMO
•chorus riff is pretty catchy
•I could dance to this song :p:
Overall, I really didn’t see anything too orginal unfortunately. like I said with Slaytanic, I think you bought into the genre a bit too much and sacraficed your beautiful songwriting ability. :shrug: so sorry, but I didn’t really believe this was anything special. Still a very good, catchy song though.

Craxymaxy
•piano intro was quite scrumptious
•next part was pretty epic
•could use some variation in the overdubbed part
Overall, pretty awesome song. I don’t have much to say but it was really solid and sounded great. Good work.

Regression
•you truly have a songwriting talent. even your “sucky” songs sound great :p:
•I like that guitar riff. simple and sweet
•chorus wasn’t very good IMO but still sounded okay
•nice vocal line you’ve got there
•pretty short but I understand you were in a time crunch
•nice ending
Overall, the song was quite good. but like you said yourself, it’s not “all there.” song has potential, so I suggest you finish it.

Ctb
•pretty tense beginning…
•part before verse seemed unnecessary
•verse sounded calm & sweet
•I don’t really like the chorus
•I’m also not a fan of the interlude but it sounds good
•breakdown reminds me of a song, but I don’t know which one. cool though.
•I like the short sweet solo
•transtition into fadeout seemed abrupt
•I like the fadeout
Overall, the song was pretty well written. some parts I didn’t like as much as others, but everything worked out well and it had a nice spacy feel to it which I like a lot if you guys haven’t already noticed. :D

Its_Rock77
•holy Jesus, you are a musical prodigy
•did you seriously write this yourself?
•this song is amazing!
•holy crap holy crap holy crap! you are soooooooo good!!
•how do you do it?
Overall, this song was the best song written in the history of the world. you win everything.

good work all!

final tally! ranked 1-12 with corresponding point values. :)

1. Chromaticvision (12 points)
2. Thomasoman (11 points)
3. Of_Wolves (10 points)
4. Ninja.Kitty (9 points)
5. JesseBlanchard (8 points)
6. Claxymaxy (7 points)
7. Friendly Stoat (6 points)
8. Ctb (5 points)
9. Regression (4 points)
10. Broadsword (3 points)
11. Slaytanic (2 points)
12. Its_Rock77 (56 points)

don't feel bad if I ranked you low, I enjoyed every single one of the songs (no lie, I did :) ) and it was a tough choice. stay proud UGers! :cheers:

Regression
10-16-2008, 01:04 AM
I can't complain with what's been said about mine so far. It really isn't much of a song, it was an idea and then %^&*(, followed by copy and paste.

Sometime when I have the inspiration I will take it from after the intro, or start from the verse part. It was around there that it sort of just went. =\

Thomasoman
10-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I just have to say, Regression, I think your intro was probably the best out of all the submissions. It's so pretty. I'd love to see you pick up from the intro, as you said. Just keep the music box in the outro whatever you do. It's perfect.

Friendly Stoat
10-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I just have to say, Regression, I think your intro was probably the best out of all the submissions. It's so pretty. I'd love to see you pick up from the intro, as you said. Just keep the music box in the outro whatever you do. It's perfect.

This. Don't put yourself down ;)

and btw, edited for new scoring system.

Broadsword
10-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Yes! I'm beating Slay! :D

I'm an ass. :sad:

Friendly Stoat
10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
This comp makes me feel bad :( lol.

ctb
10-16-2008, 04:09 PM
8. Ctb (5 points)

wooo! :D :haha

Slaytanic1993
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Yes! I'm beating Slay! :D

I'm an ass. :sad:
Surprising, though? No.

:cry:

Broadsword
10-16-2008, 06:44 PM
:( There's still half of the judges left lol, maybe they'll fall in love with yours and hate mine even more. :D

Although I have to admit, I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would. Since I practically had no idea how to write PH, I had to raid my sister's Paramore and Silverstein collection for inspiration lol. It probably shows, since I blatantly ripped off their styles.

:dance:

ninja.kitty
10-16-2008, 07:47 PM
:( There's still half of the judges left lol, maybe they'll fall in love with yours and hate mine even more. :D

Although I have to admit, I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would. Since I practically had no idea how to write PH, I had to raid my sister's Paramore and Silverstein collection for inspiration lol. It probably shows, since I blatantly ripped off their styles.

:dance:
paramore isnt really post-hardcore..

Its_Rock77
10-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I feel bad too.

especially since some of our best writers (namely ctb, slaytanic, regression, and broadsword) are getting pretty low scores. but just know that it's most likely only because you guys aren't skilled in this specific genre.
so please don't feel to down about it. :shrug:

Thomasoman
10-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I mean this is just for fun. It's not like whoever wins this gets a record deal and a ticket to stardom. :p: The only reason I'm holding up in this competition is because this is just pretty much how I write regardless, and post-hardcore is my favorite genre.

Slaytanic1993
10-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Meh, I've been trying new stuff lately.

Maybe I'm not cut out for PH :p:

Broadsword
10-16-2008, 08:59 PM
paramore isnt really post-hardcore..

I know, they're more power-pop/what-have-you, but I like their sound (gasp!) and decided to play off it. :p:

They're the only things I had to go off of, really.

And judges, don't feel bad for giving low scores, it's all for good fun! :D I enjoyed writing the song, it was nice to write something other than progressive melodic metal stuff for once.

Regression
10-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Wow... Thankyou. :)

I thought the music box at the end might have been a bit to repetitive.. I actually just did it in about a minute (hence its simplicity, but hey, who said simplicity is a bad thing?)

I feel bad too.

especially since some of our best writers (namely ctb, slaytanic, regression, and broadsword) are getting pretty low scores. but just know that it's most likely only because you guys aren't skilled in this specific genre.
so please don't feel to down about it. :shrug:
Hey, don't feel bad. We didn't write very good pieces (well, speaking for myself here) so it's only fair that we get these marks. You've got to get used to criticism anyway, and mine was fair criticism, which I definately agree with. And if I loved all of it, then tbh, I wouldn't care about criticisms.

Anyway, it's all about having fun, and trying new things. I had no idea how to write post-hardcore, and I still don't, but atleast I've given it a try now so ideally my future attempts will be an improvement. Also, now I have a pretty decent intro to work with. :)

Edit: And best writers... =\ where did that come from?

By the way, Slaytanic, keep trying. You're a great writer. :)
I'm sure you could write some great post-hardcore.

ninja.kitty
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I know, they're more power-pop/what-have-you, but I like their sound (gasp!) and decided to play off it. :p:

They're the only things I had to go off of, really.

And judges, don't feel bad for giving low scores, it's all for good fun! :D I enjoyed writing the song, it was nice to write something other than progressive melodic metal stuff for once.
lol, im not dissing them, they are one of my favorites too :P

edit: can the other two judges PLEASE do their job?

Regression
10-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Are the other judges even around?

Regression
10-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Just wondering, Its_Rock started at 12, Friendly Stoat started at 11. How do we go about that.. =\

Its_Rock77
10-18-2008, 07:40 AM
oh, I bet it's because he forgot to factor himself in.

Friendly Stoat, there are still 12 participants even though you can't give yourself a score. :)

Friendly Stoat
10-18-2008, 12:52 PM
So basically I need to add one to each score? I'm confused :p:

Its_Rock77
10-18-2008, 01:15 PM
yes, because the other judges (who don't have a song of their own) will be scoring from 12-1 and if you scored from 11-1 it'd give whoever you gave the top score a disadvantage on whoever they might give the top score too. :shrug:

Friendly Stoat
10-18-2008, 01:19 PM
OK, edited it.

Regression
10-18-2008, 10:05 PM
But then us with lower scores might get an advantage.

ninja.kitty
10-21-2008, 12:45 PM
wow.. this is so dumb. freakin judges judge

bloodshed344
10-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Wow, I told you guys to remind me cuz I might forget, I'll get to judging.

Regression
10-21-2008, 11:29 PM
... =\

Yes. About that. We have no memory. Sorry.

I improvised my speech today, went AWESOME. It's amazing how much you can say about pencil cases. It had to be atleast 3:00, mine ended up 4:51, and everyone loved it (except for my teacher).

ninja.kitty
10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Wow, I told you guys to remind me cuz I might forget, I'll get to judging.
well we just did :D

Friendly Stoat
10-23-2008, 06:36 PM
And here's another reminder.

Do the judging, judges.

:D

It doesn't take that long and we can get all the results sorted out and move on that way. :)

bloodshed344
10-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Actually, I'm not gonna judge. I decided I hate post-hardcore, very sorry. Or if you want, I'll just give everyone a 7, to balance things out.

Its_Rock77
10-23-2008, 07:37 PM
ummm....wow bloodshed.

I'm not gonna lie, that was pretty weak. :/

Thomasoman
10-23-2008, 08:40 PM
you just decided that you don't like a (very vague) genre?

You probably should've thought of that before you signed up as a judge..

ninja.kitty
10-23-2008, 08:44 PM
then why the hell did you sign up to be a judge?

bloodshed344
10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
I liked a few of the songs, but most were generic and just so... standard sounding. Sorry.

Thomasoman
10-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Objective much?

Blah, whatever. Was he the last judge..?

ninja.kitty
10-23-2008, 11:25 PM
no, theres one more..

Regression
10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Mine was generic and standard sounding. :)

I can understand not wanting to judge mine, it would be a laborious process, but the others deserve to be judged. =\

(and mine to because otherwise it would be unfair)

bloodshed344
10-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Regression: Most of them were, with sappy clean breaks I have heard a thousand times and just many other features, most of which I don't really like. I like the more chaotic side of hardcore, like The Fall of Troy or Botch or Converge or something.

Regression
10-24-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think they are post-hardcore...

bloodshed344
10-24-2008, 01:14 AM
No they are more normal hardcore, which is kinda what I was expecting, I forgot post means "artsy fartsy"

Regression
10-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Post-hardcore tends to be alot more pop orientated from what I have observed.

I will say that I would class Fall Of Troy as progressive rather than any form of hardcore though.

And also, you don't really need to bash other genres. Just because something is a little more generic doesn't mean it is any worse. If that was so then Penderecki would be considered one of the greatest composers ever to live.

Thomasoman
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM
The thing with post-hardcore is that there's so much stylistic difference within it. I mean, you could be a genre elitist and just throw other bands out of the picture, but honestly I just see it as one, vague genre. You have stuff like Bear vs Shark which I think is pretty chaotic and more true to it's roots. Then stuff like As Cities Burn which can be chaotic too, but drifts away from the insanity a bit. Then theres Thursday...a lot more melodic, but still pretty raw. I mean, it all has it's own completely unique flavor. At the Drive-In, the receiving end of sirens, Circa Survive...all very different bands, all with a unique sound, but still stylistically similar.

Thats what I love about it, its not like metalcore where pretty much everything nowadays is cookie cutter. Yeah, sure, you get the occasional unique sound, but for the most part it's pretty standard. I like to think post-hardcore is pretty much the opposite.

The problem starts when people start to see bands like Paramore (I consider them pop-punk or powerpop.) or Hawthorne Heights (honestly not as bad as everyone says there are) as 'post-hardcore'.

metalminded07
10-24-2008, 03:43 PM
sorry guys. i was away and i didn't expect to be going anywhere soon when i signed up to judge. i'll have my scores/thoughts up as soon as possible.
and again, sorry for the inconvenience.

metalminded07
10-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Friendly Stoat
-a lot of nice little riffs
-really liked the tapping part and some of the quicker leads
-not too crazy about the chorus
-outro wasn't great but wasn't that bad either
overall pretty cool song and i really liked it.

JesseBlanchard
-clean riffs had a nice feel to them
-wasn't thrilled with verse 3 or 5
-middle eight was really cool and led to the chorus nicely
-the bridge was awesome
-rawr wasn't too great
great job some parts got repetitive but it was still solid

Chromaticvision
-really cool song
-wasn't thrilled with the intro, good but not great
-great riffs throughout especially verses
-awesome chorus
-interludes were really nice
it was awesome. nothing was bad. great song

ninja.kitty
-intro had a pretty cool feel to it.
-screaming 1 was really sweet
-the chorus was good
-Cool leads
-Nice outro
this was really good even though some clean parts were off

Of_Wolves
-Has a unique sound - admittedly unusual for post-hardcore songs
-It seems to be quite a powerful and emotional song but keeps the urgent and heavy-ish feel - good in a live situation!
-Great use of piano. It adds a hell of a lot to the song.
-Unexpected ending - it feels like it should be going on longer
(sorry Friendly Stoat i stole your crit but i felt exactly the same way you did)

Slaytanic1993
-honestly i didn't like the intro
-the bass on verse 1 was good, didnt really like any of the guitar parts leading up to the chorus
-chorus riff was good but it didnt feel like a chorus to me
-breakdown was pretty metal sounding i didnt really enjoy how you sorta used it as the next verse
song was good but a little bit too boring and generic. sorry

Thomasoman
-intro was AMAZING
-the break was a little weird but it was still awesome
-chorus was good but i was hoping for more
-screaming break was pretty cool
-that intro riff was once again amazing
-verse 3 was great so was the bridge
-wasnt crazy about the build up at first but i love how it developed
-climax was cool
-outro was great
amazing song. probably one of the best here.

Broadsword
-acoustic intro was great
-verse 1 was pretty cool sounded a little too familiar though
-chorus was nice
-pre-chorus later in the song was cool
-vocal harmony at the end was cool
it was ok, nothing special.

Craxymaxy
-piano intro was amazing
-next part was pretty epic
-could use some variation in the overdubbed part
Overall, pretty awesome song. I don’t have much to say but it was really solid and sounded great. Good work.

Regression
-Nice lead.
still was pretty good.

ctb
-Good intro and it works well as the chorus.
-Breakdown sounded heavy without changing much from the feel of the rest of the song.
-Great solo part leading to the end, and nice ending too!

Its_Rock77
-Nice tense intro, sounds weird but melodic when distortion comes in
-The chorus/ pre-chorus part was cool awesome riffs
-Cool solo in background
-Nice ending, works very well except for the random open D string
overall it was pretty good

scores are out of 12

1.Thomasoman 12
2. Ninja.Kitty 11
3. craxymaxy 10
4. Friendly Stoat 9
5. Broadsword 8
6. chromaticvision 7
7. Jesse Blanchard 6
8. Of_Wolves 5
9. Its Rock 4
10. ctb 3
11. regression 2
12. slaytanic 1

please dont take offense to any of this.
and once again sorry for the inconvenience.

gonzaw
10-24-2008, 05:04 PM
IS this "qualification" kind of judging better than the other one?

chromaticvision
10-27-2008, 09:15 PM
how does "it was ok, nothing special." and "this was really good even though some clean parts were off" and "Overall, pretty awesome song." beat "it was awesome. nothing was bad. great song."

Its_Rock77
10-27-2008, 10:31 PM
although I see your point, any judge might just get nitpicky on songs that he likes. and it could happen that the song a judge criticizes the most is actually his personal favorite.
things like that happen. :shrug:

Regression
10-28-2008, 02:26 AM
chromaticvision, what one are you reffering to? Just yours?

chromaticvision
10-28-2008, 03:54 AM
well my example was, but i just didn't feel those comments were scaled in the same way as the scorings.

Regression
10-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh well. Can't argue with the judges.

Meh. It's just for fun anyway. Atleast you now have a new song. :)

Friendly Stoat
10-28-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm confused about how we add up the scores fairly. I'm probably being a n00b but yeah.

ninja.kitty
10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
i would say just add them all together, but that doesnt work since rock and stoat couldnt give themselves a score..

c o n n o r
10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
in.

Friendly Stoat
10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
^ Huh? We've kinda finished the comp :p:

i would say just add them all together, but that doesnt work since rock and stoat couldnt give themselves a score..

That's what i mean lol.

Its_Rock77
10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I volunteered a definite loss to be able to judge. :p:

Regression
10-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Add them together then divide them by the ammount of people who allocated the scores..

Thomasoman - 11.7
chromaticvision - 9.3
Friendly Stoat - 9
Ninja.kitty - 8.3
craxymaxy - 8.3
Of_Wolves - 8.3
Its_Rock - 7.5
JesseBlanchard - 6
Broadsword - 4.7
ctb - 4.7
Regression - 4.3
Slaytanic - 1.7

I would appreciate if one more person would judge and give me a kick ass score though. :)

However, for fear of decreasing my score.. Those are them.

Broadsword
10-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Sweeeet, not last place. :D

Its_Rock77
10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
did you work in the 56 points Its_Rock77 gave me? :confused:

Friendly Stoat
10-29-2008, 08:31 AM
awesome :p:

ninja.kitty
10-29-2008, 12:53 PM
4th, not to bad :D

Thomasoman
10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
You know, I think this competition did a lot more then just boost my ego...I've seen so many new 'post-hardcore' songs on UG now. It's so nice to not see the same old 'melodic death metal' and such. I think this has encouraged some variety which is just great. So really, I think the people who started this competition ultimately get 1st place.

But I'm quite happy my piece did so well =D

ctb
10-29-2008, 01:31 PM
in.

:haha

Broadsword
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
You know, I think this competition did a lot more then just boost my ego...I've seen so many new 'post-hardcore' songs on UG now. It's so nice to not see the same old 'melodic death metal' and such. I think this has encouraged some variety which is just great. So really, I think the people who started this competition ultimately get 1st place.

But I'm quite happy my piece did so well =D

There's been a pretty big influx of PH songs for awhile...

But grats. :D

Thomasoman
10-29-2008, 04:24 PM
They kind of came in waves but for a while died down, I thought. But thank you.

Its_Rock77
10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I think the people who started this competition ultimately get 1st place.

you heard the man.

now where's my trophy?

but I truly enjoyed this just to see how you guys interpreted the phrase "post hardcore"
IMO, it's a really inspiring, and not cliche genre with plenty of room for creativity.

Regression
10-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Sorry Its_Rock, you got a total of 23.7 out of a possible 12 points.

Damn you're good. =\

But yeah, sweet. 11th. Not to... bad?

Its_Rock77
10-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I try. ;)

this was by far my favorite comp yet.