how do i know if my guitar is solid top or laminate top?

PDA

View Full Version : how do i know if my guitar is solid top or laminate top?

litus
09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
so how do i know?
whats the actual diference? i know most people recomend solid tops because they are "better" but i am curious of knowing what are the actual diferences

james4
09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
if the top is painted, it's probably laminate.

If not, then try taking a look on the 'rim' of the soundhole. if it's solid, you'll be able to see the grain go through from the top of the top to the bottom of the top (like, you can see its all one peice..). if it's laminate, you'll be able to see the layers.
so basically, vertical lines = solid, horizontal lines = laminate (when the guitar is on its back..)

If that makes sense....

litus
09-16-2008, 06:48 PM
if the top is painted, it's probably laminate.

If not, then try taking a look on the 'rim' of the soundhole. if it's solid, you'll be able to see the grain through the top. if it's laminate, you'll be able to see the layers.

If that makes sense....

i not sure what you mean
but the top of my guitar is made of one piece of non painted wood while my friend`s same brand acoustic`s top is made out of 2 pieces of non painted wood

BTW my friends guitar is a diferent model than mine, but is the same brand

james4
09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
sorry, it's hard to explain what I'm trying to say..
I'll try to get a picture of what I mean..

edit: frig, I can't find a picture of what I mean....

just a minute, I'll take a picture of my breedlove (solid top), and garage sale samick (laminate)

edit2: frig again....

cant find my card reader...

I'll be back on again in a few hours and I can upload the pictures then, but for now I guess someone else'll have to try to help you until then..

it's basically trying to see if the grain of the wood goes through the entire thickness of the top (by looking at the side of the soundhole..)..

if it's laminate, yo uwont be able to see the grain go all the way through, you'll just see layers of wood glued together..

Nihil
09-16-2008, 06:54 PM
if you can't look up the specs, you can take a picture of the rim of the soundhole . . .

but if you've ever seen plywood you'll recognize it, you should be able to see different colored layers of wood forming horizontal lines around the rim of the sound hole (looking down at an angle into the guitar)

Akabilk
09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
One piece of wood is a 'solid top'. 2 or 3 is laminate. You my have the same brand of guitar as your friend, but obviously have different models.

litus
09-16-2008, 07:01 PM
i think mine is solid top since i am sure its made of one piece of wood, infact all the guitar parts(top, sides and back, are solid, and this guitar was amazing for the price
BTW the brand name is palmer, the make really nice guitar for cheap, altough they are made in china so you should check quality, mine has some bad frets but the sound is amaizing, mine friends owns a Les Paul and a local luthier said it was a really nice guitar, but his pups where really cheap, the same with pots and caps

james4
09-16-2008, 09:54 PM
k, so I got a picture showing what I mean.

it's not so much if you can see 2 or more peices from the front.
If theres 2 peices that you can see from the front, it's bookmatched, it doesn't have anything to do with a solid/laminate top. Basically, they take a peice of wood twice the thickness of your top, then cut it in half (in the same way you'd cut a large slice of bread open to make a sandwich.) That way, the grain pattern matches on both peices of wood, giving the top a symetrical kind of look.

You're looking to see if the top is several peices stacked on top of eachother.
For example, here's my guitar's soundhole at an angle:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/4444james4444/IMG_4334.jpg
As you can see, the grain continues from top to bottom of the top, so it's just one peice thick. If you look at it from te front, you can see 2 peices, but they're not on top of eachother, they're just side by side (bookmatched).

If you look at the soundhole of your guitar, you'll either be able to see the grain run through the entire thickness of the top (solid top), or you'll see that it's thickness is several laminates stacked on top of eachother.

I hope that answers your question..

about
09-16-2008, 10:47 PM
solid tops are just better, not "better."

the difference is sound and tone. huge difference.